Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2020, 19:24   #46
BHPian

Re: Automatic Shootout : Honda Jazz vs VW Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saur95 View Post
If you're open to the idea of a lightly used vehicle, then you could take a look at this EcoSport : https://www.olx.in/item/ford-ecospor...iid-1576102250

Due to the COVID pandemic, many car owners are selling their new cars to free up some extra cash for essential expenses. You might even get barely run 2020 or 2019 cars in the market due to this and maybe save a lakh or more on new car prices.
, but -

Damn! Similar vintage and make (2018 10k+ run, Ecosport Petrol Titanium+ AT) are generally listed for around 11L in Bengaluru. I guess the max these dealers will let you negotiate is 50k or so.

Can't believe the insane premium AT boxes command in this city.
Old 6th October 2020, 19:43   #47
BHPian

When my mom's knee issues meant we had to look for a small automatic we test drove a number of options, two of which were the Jazz CVT and the Polo DSG. Mind you this was roughly 4 years ago but I think the observations should still hold. Ultimately the price for either was too much and dad ended up stumping for a CVT Micra which we got with some real hefty discounts (the dealership at the time was linked to the Audi dealership dad got his car from so that relationship came handy - Audi owners will know though that this ultimately was a bad dealership..)

We drove the Honda Jazz first. Mom and I were both very pleased with how roomy the interiors were, it was actually a lot bigger than we had expected. Mom is short, 5 ft, so visibility is something we tend to look for. With the Jazz that absolutely wasn't an issue what with the expansive glass house. However the issue was that CVT. My word, when I took to the wheel, I could not only hear the tacho needle go racing towards the redline before the momentum adjusted accordingly, you can feel it. The engine felt super rev happy to me which meant that the rubber band effect was exacerbated even more. The light steering wasn't that much of a difference compared to the Santro Xing that usually is our city runabout but I didn't enjoy the gearbox at all. (Ironically I tend to really dislike the same rubber band effect in the Micra CVT we ended up with - dad regularly bemoans the torpedoed mileage as a result). To answer your question the engine itself probably would've been enjoyable in a manual but the dynamics of the Jazz didn't preclude itself towards being a real joy in the bends.

As for the Polo DSG, mom and I Loved the driving experience. It instantly reminded both of us of the ride handling and dynamics of our Linea, in that the steering was properly weighted, the suspension was on the firmer side and overall it had this robust teutonic feel about it. Compared to the Jazz the interiors were very dark and gloomy, but the quality of the albeit bland looking interior material, was beyond reproach. It was the poor experiences of numerous friends with the DSG reliability that put us off the Polo, which was especially tough for dad to take as he has a soft spot for VW (his second car was a Mk2 Golf). Combined with the 10 lac plus on road price, it was a no go.

At the time my gran was still alive and usually I'd use the Santro to ferry here around to the doctors. I distinctly remember feeling that the Jazz would be really helpful for her to be aided into and to sit inside, which was not something I felt confident about with the Polo so I think your concerns there are well founded.

Hope that helps!
ads11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 20:10   #48
BHPian

It amazes me that Ford has not launched an automatic Freestyle.

I drive a Jazz MT and I'm bit biased towards Honda but driving Freestyle is just at whole another level. It sometimes feels bad to drive a sedate vehicle like Jazz compared to Freestyle.

I think a Freestyle AT would have been the perfect choice for the requirement described (maybe except for the long term considering Ford's plans in India).
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 21:23   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
...The V variant misses out on the paddle shifters, without which I cannot accept an automatic.
No, it does not. All three variants have the paddle shifters. If you decide to go with Jazz, please do compare the trims. Honda did some feature redistribution with the BS6 upgrade.
k_kumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 01:13   #50
BHPian

Was on the lookout for an AT hatch for someone in my family and found that with the BS6 update, Honda has made the base variant of Jazz pretty much like a top-spec option of the previous version. And the AT is available in all 3 variants now, not sure if that was the case before BS6.

The following features are standard across the range now:
  • Driver seat height adjustment
  • Rear wiper and defogger
  • Rear view camera
  • Full MID
  • Electrically adjustable ORVM
  • Climate control A/C
  • Boot light
  • Alloy wheels
  • Color screen ICE (non-touch though) with BT and USB connectivity
  • Steering mounted audio and hands-free controls
  • Cruise control
  • Paddle shift
  • Driver and passenger vanity mirror
Honestly, what more is needed in a base variant? I felt all other variants to be not worth the extra money considering the base variant has all the essentials covered and more.

Last edited by BigBrad : 7th October 2020 at 01:16.
BigBrad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 08:11   #51
BHPian

My wife sold her Polo MT and bought a Jazz VX CVT; all this happened in Jan 2020 before the lockdown.

The driving dynamics of the Polo is way better than that of the Jazz; feels more planted on the road. Besides, the build quality is superb. The head unit in the TSI is also way better than that in the Jazz.

The Jazz is spacious, feels light & tinny and the CVT takes it's own sweet time to build speed.

However, if you are a sedate driver, the internal space in the Jazz is unmatched - better than all sub-4m cars. The fuel economy is good too. We have not taken the car for a long drive but city is 10+ kmpl.

The Polo BSVI version has a TC Gearbox, which is not as much fun to drive as the earlier DSG. The BSVI Jazz also has added features like LED Headlights & sunroof.

If you are a keen driver, it's the Polo you should go for !
Old 7th October 2020, 09:27   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We'd love to stretch for that, but unfortunately we can not. The pursuit for a car from a segment above is an endless one. If we start thinking of C-SUVs, the thought of a Creta might cross our heads. Got to stop somewhere.
Quote:
Living with a sedan is nightmare in my part of the country. I have to visit my hometown and the only real car made for those roads is Alto.
Dear RoadMonkey,
I understand your frustration. But as a single car in the family, Jazz makes more sense as the comfort it offers is simply unparalleled. Also, the Polo will definitely have a lot of major issues compared to the Jazz over a 15 year period.

If the budget is a hard stop, I'd recommend reconsidering used cars. The Yaris (new or used) will be a very good buy and will the best car to last you 15 years.

A note: Toyota sedans generally have very good ground clearance and their suspension is made for Indian road conditions. My friend has used his 2015 Corolla (180mm GC) on various trips across villages and hills of South India where I wouldn't dare to drive my own car. BHPian @Samba has extensively toured WB and Sikkim in his Etios.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 09:47   #53
BHPian

Aug 19
I was in a similar dilemma last year while finalizing an automatic for my wife. We TD most automatics in the segment and liked none. There was a compromise some where or the other. Jazz was not even in the TD list thanks to 1.2 l + CVT combo. Then we finally TD the Jazz. I just didn't like the slow CVT but my wife was sold to the jazz. She found the looks comfort space and the ergonomics the best in the lot. With a heavy heart I agreed to bring home the Jazz.

Fast forward to Sept 20
Jazz is the only car I take out of the garage when wife is not using it. (from the lot of Crysta D AT, Micra D MT, Grand i10 P AT, Superb P AT, Civic P AT) Over a period of one year I fell in love with the Jazz. Reason is the ease and comfort of using it. It is such a user friendly car.

Coming back to your requirements:
1) Safety: Both score 4 star if I am not wrong here.
2) Automatic: Jazz for city, polo for highways
3) Good highway driving manners: Polo
4) Safety: Both
5) A lasting engine/mechanicals: Jazz
6) Did I mention safety?: Both
Polo is like a hot girlfriend, Love at first sight but as you stay in the relation you start finding flaws and your parents will never like her. Jazz is like your wife from arranged marriage, You may not like your family's choice initially but as you live you fall in love with it and you just can't live without her.
If you are looking for a fuzz free long term relationship go for the Jazz eyes shut. The only place the Polo scores in your requirement list is highway manners. but is highway the only place you will be using the car? If you not the kinds who redlines the car each time, the Jazz will not fail you either. Beyond 40Kmph it picks up really fast. I would suggest taking a long TD with Jazz again.

Cheers
Bravo
bravo82in is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 10:35   #54
BHPian

The best thing for you, is to wait a few more days till the new i20 is launched. While the old i20 is not as spacious at the rear as a Baleno, it had adequate space. I've done a 17 hour road trip with 4 adults in the i20. (A friend & me took turns driving) yes the i20 doesn't have the best steering but over all I feel its a nice compromise between the Jazz & Baleno.

If I had to chose one car immediately, it would be the Jazz CVT. Because you do long trips with the family, no amount of driving pleasure can take the place of rear seat space & comfort. I've been a Honda owner for 4 years now with ZERO reliability issues.
John316_WRC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 11:50   #55
BHPian

Aaand now I've been quoted 11.5L OTR for the EcoSport Titanium Automatic. More confusion! How real is the FE concern for this car with a TC?
RoadMonkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 14:26   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post

Coming back to your requirements:
1) Safety: Both score 4 star if I am not wrong here.
2) Automatic: Jazz for city, polo for highways
3) Good highway driving manners: Polo
4) Safety: Both
5) A lasting engine/mechanicals: Jazz
6) Did I mention safety?: Both
Hi,

AFAIK, "Made for Indian Market" Honda Jazz hasn't been crash tested. And going by the standards, there are gonna be safety compromises when it comes to global models manufactured for and in India.

I see people lauding Ford for their safety and build. No doubt, the figo and aspire twins have got thicker sheet metal than a Maruti or even a Honda, but the Aspire didn't do any wonders in the GNCAP crash test. It scored 3 stars for adult safety and 2 for child safety. More importantly, the structure was rated as "unstable".

I wouldn't call any of the "Made for India" hatchbacks and sedans "safe" unless they are crash tested by GNCAP.

http://www.globalncap.org/results/

On the other hand, Indian Polo has been crash tested, and scored 4 stars for Adult Safety. I would call it safe.

Regards,
Sarthak

Last edited by balenoed : 7th October 2020 at 14:29.
Old 7th October 2020, 14:57   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed View Post
Hi,

AFAIK, "Made for Indian Market" Honda Jazz hasn't been crash tested. And going by the standards, there are gonna be safety compromises when it comes to global models manufactured for and in India.
Honda Jazz is a global product. It is not feasible to have India specific Jazz which sells less than 500 pieces a month. India (rather Asian model) may have some cosmetic changes to the bumper/grill but structurally it is the same product.
Guna is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 15:02   #58
BHPian

How about the Maruti Brezza ? Safe enough , easy to maintain with a TC which is quite reliant.
Also now you might have access to Kia Sonet.
Old 7th October 2020, 15:21   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Honda Jazz is a global product. It is not feasible to have India specific Jazz which sells less than 500 pieces a month. India (rather Asian model) may have some cosmetic changes to the bumper/grill but structurally it is the same product.
Hi Guna,

Please go through the detailed post where RSR has explained about Indian Hyundai Venue's platform and also compared it to the international version.

He has explained in detail about the platforms and compared different strengths of steel used in both Indian and International models. Obviously its the same platform, but some changes here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Team-BHP is a responsible automobile forum. What makes this site better than the rest are a complete lack of funding (i.e. advertising) by carmakers and the unbiased, comprehensive nature of reviews that don't miss even minor things. The collective knowledge shared by members for the benefit of everyone (including non-member/guest readers) is another distinguishing feature.

I REST MY CASE!
Even Maruti Suzuki Baleno is a global model and has been on sale for quite some time in India and abroad. If it's selling in European/Other Markets, why should we call it unsafe? Until recent months, it was only manufactured in India and now its assembly has started in Algeria according to the Wikipedia page. It is exported across countries and even Japan (first Maruti car to be exported from India to Japan).

It must have some structural changes for the Indian model for it to be called unsafe in India. IMO, it shouldn't have any structural changes, but only a crash test would bring the real results. And I would say the same for the Honda Jazz.

Regards,
Sarthak
balenoed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 15:35   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
How about the Maruti Brezza ? Safe enough , easy to maintain with a TC which is quite reliant.
Only problem is, it is an old 4 speed unit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks