Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2020, 15:50   #61
BHPian

Re: Automatic Shootout : Honda Jazz vs VW Polo

My 2 cents. Just wait a bit for the Altroz AT. It is the best of both worlds.
I have always found the Polo to be a bit cramped, would only pick one for the TSI+DSG combo which sadly isn't available now.
The Jazz is a great package but has no fun. I so wish Honda would offer a Sports version with the City's engine and bigger wheels, spoiler etc.
Old 7th October 2020, 16:27   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
Aaand now I've been quoted 11.5L OTR for the EcoSport Titanium Automatic. More confusion! How real is the FE concern for this car with a TC?
That’s great. Now you are getting the car you always wanted for the same price as Jazz. FE should be okay given your usage is mostly on highways. You can expect around 12-13 kmpl. If you are satisfied with that, just go and grab this deal.
Old 7th October 2020, 21:00   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Aaand now I've been quoted 11.5L OTR for the EcoSport Titanium Automatic. More confusion! How real is the FE concern for this car with a TC?
The Ford Ecosport does have a TC; the earlier pre facelifted models had a DSG. I own a Ford Ecosport Titanium+ 1.5L Petrol AT, which we bought in Feb 2018. Have taken the Ecosport through hell - done a trip from Mumbai to Himachal (Shimla - Narkhanda - Kalpa - Nako - Kaza - Chandrataal - Manali - Chandigarh) without any issues. Total trip was 4679 kms. Drove through river beds and no roads.

The long trip saw a fuel average of 13.0+ kmpl. City varies between 7.0 to 11.0 depending on distances driven, traffic and driving style.

More sturdy than the VW Polo for sure; however one is hatchback and the other is a SUV. Spend a bit more and go for the Titanium+.

Last edited by rpunwani : 7th October 2020 at 21:06. Reason: Video did not upload
Old 7th October 2020, 23:18   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Was on the lookout for an AT hatch for someone in my family and found that with the BS6 update, Honda has made the base variant of Jazz pretty much like a top-spec option of the previous version. And the AT is available in all 3 variants now, not sure if that was the case before BS6.

The following features are standard across the range now:
  • Driver seat height adjustment
  • Rear wiper and defogger
  • Rear view camera
  • Full MID
  • Electrically adjustable ORVM
  • Climate control A/C
  • Boot light
  • Alloy wheels
  • Color screen ICE (non-touch though) with BT and USB connectivity
  • Steering mounted audio and hands-free controls
  • Cruise control
  • Paddle shift
  • Driver and passenger vanity mirror
Honestly, what more is needed in a base variant? I felt all other variants to be not worth the extra money considering the base variant has all the essentials covered and more.
I bought Jazz CVT V Trim in April 2019. Besides aforesaid features it also has keyless entry with push button start & request sensors on both the front doors - something which other premium hatchbacks lack. And Jazz CVT is a breeze to drive in the city aided further by paddle shifters & Sport mode in case one needs frequent upshifts. The only fly in the ointment is lack of auto headlamps and fixed rear headrests which Honda has again failed to incorporate even in the facelift 2020 version. Bottomline is Jazz CVT can give you years of great ownership experience with a very nominal maintenance cost.
MOTORON is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 23:25   #65
BHPian

I think one has to treat the polo as a two Seater. It doesn’t have room for even children behind!
Old 7th October 2020, 23:55   #66
BHPian

I'm curious as to what 'reliability issues' the Polo has. Would a Honda or Toyota be 'more' reliable? Probably. But I don't see what it is about the Polo that's prone to failure that you have to treat it's reliability as a negative, other than the DSG gearbox, which isn't a problem anymore. I agree that the service experience may be a whole other ball game, although I'm not sure that warrants painting the car itself with the broad strokes of 'unreliability'? Maybe someone more knowledgeable on this topic can shed some light on this for me.
Old 8th October 2020, 07:26   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
I own a Ford Ecosport Titanium+ 1.5L Petrol AT, which we bought in Feb 2018. Have taken the Ecosport through hell - done a trip from Mumbai to Himachal (Shimla - Narkhanda - Kalpa - Nako - Kaza - Chandrataal - Manali - Chandigarh) without any issues. Total trip was 4679 kms. Drove through river beds and no roads.
On a side note, how tired did you get after that trip? How's the ride quality? Does the firm suspension not become a pain over such a long trip?
RoadMonkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 07:31   #68
BHPian

Quote:
On a side note, how tired did you get after that trip? How's the ride quality? Does the firm suspension not become a pain over such a long trip?
The Ecosport is a breeze to drive; the 1.5L Dragon engine is very responsive. Yes, the ride is a bit firm compared to the Jazz / Polo; we had no problems at all
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 10:53   #69

I switched from a Skoda Fabia diesel to a Jazz CVT (end of 2016).
My experience is from what was available in 2016.
Pros:
-Best in class space, airy and nice cabin feel.
-Expected Honda reliability and efficiency.
-Cheaper maintenance in the long run.
-Its a decent looking city car.
Cons:
-Underwhelming Sales experience: No discounts, accessories, Pressure of taking the
dealers overpriced insurance.
-Limited Trim and colour options for the CVT.
-Terrible Level of equipment - Only driver side auto window, No auto locking, No rear head rest, No arm rest, No lit passenger window switches, No black interior (CVT), No Magic seats (CVT).
-Bad fuel efficiency even with the skinny tyres.
-Tinpot build
-6 monthly service is a pain and a cost to be factored.
-Very Boring highway experience (paddle shift is the most useless addition for the 1.2L CVT)

I spent 10L on the car, the Polo lost out space/price/availability cause I had to consider my family's input (Space!). It is decent purely as a city car and underwhelming on all other fronts.
I do appreciate nothing major has gone wrong yet and parts would be relatively inexpensive.
Old 8th October 2020, 12:14   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyboy101 View Post
I switched from a Skoda Fabia diesel to a Jazz CVT (end of 2016).
My experience is from what was available in 2016.
The 2018 version fixed most of these "lacking features", except service intervals, rear headrests and discounts. Please see a previous post about standard fittings across the 3 CVT variants in BS6 version. The issues with discounts and rear head tests remain though, and service interval for the BS 6 version is now 1 year.

A general doubt though. I read in another thread that Honda CVT BS 6 version continues with the older platform than the newer platform on global versions. Any idea about accuracy of this?
Old 8th October 2020, 12:47   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyboy101 View Post
-Underwhelming Sales experience: No discounts, accessories, Pressure of taking the
dealers overpriced insurance.

-Bad fuel efficiency even with the skinny tyres.
My experience with the sales has also been sub par but I've negotiated a discount of around 45k. (Of which 25k is a discount from Honda, 20k from the dealer).

I also plan to swap out 175/60 tyres with 195/55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
and service interval for the BS 6 version is now 1 year.
Can you confirm this? Their website still lists it as 6 months.
Old 8th October 2020, 15:17   #72
BHPian

Quote:

Can you confirm this? Their website still lists it as 6 months.
In the market for a auto hatch and this service interval along with lack of response from 1.2 pot are the main blockers for not being able to commit to Jazz. Have you done a TD of Amaze CVT by any chance?
Old 8th October 2020, 16:23   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaluJ View Post
In the market for a auto hatch and this service interval along with lack of response from 1.2 pot are the main blockers for not being able to commit to Jazz. Have you done a TD of Amaze CVT by any chance?
If you drive sedately, the engine really isn't that big of a downer. You grow into it. At least I have after an extended TD.

I haven't TD'd the Amaze CVT but I have driven the MT Amaze and Jazz to know that the Amaze feels slightly more spirited, perhaps owing to the lesser weight of the car.

However, I don't like the look and proportions of the Amaze as much as the Jazz.
Old 8th October 2020, 21:23   #74
BHPian

Quote:
I haven't TD'd the Amaze CVT but I have driven the MT Amaze and Jazz to know that the Amaze feels slightly more spirited, perhaps owing to the lesser weight of the car.
However, I don't like the look and proportions of the Amaze as much as the Jazz.
I some how found the Jazz CVT more spirited than the Amaze CVT (may be detuned for better FE)

Jazz feels much more premium than the Amaze. Amaze is from a segment down, a hatchback (Brio) with boot while Jazz is from a segment above, sedan (City) without the boot.

If you can hold on your purchase for some time, better wait for the new i20 launch. It must fill all your requirements perfectly. Its a mix of European standard built quality with Japanese like reliability.
Old 9th October 2020, 07:16   #75
BHPian

A slightly used Honda City CVT (4th Gen) has started entering in my head. Is the build quality of the car similar to the Jazz? I'm not seriously considering it yet, it's just a thought.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks