Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2020, 07:29   #76
BHPian

Re: Automatic Shootout : Honda Jazz vs VW Polo

Though I have never compared the Jazz and City back to back but they are essentially the same cars dressed differently. City’s build quality will never let you down. City CVT with a 1.5 L engine will be more punchier. This will make a good choice.
Regards
Bravo
bravo82in is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 09:58   #77

I’m a doctor living in Chandigarh and we bought the Jazz CVT VX model back in 2018 (the facelift back then). My family too keeps cars for long - 10-12 years easily. And our experience with the Jazz has been extremely positive so far. It is silent, efficient, comfortable and a no fuss hatchback - And this coming after years of fuss free ownership of 2 swifts, 1 petrol and 1 diesel. My father has the latest BS6 E class petrol, and even he says that the Jazz is more silent and smooth than his car.

We had the 2002 model Honda Accord which we kept for 9 years, and not once did we have any problem with ownership and service. We always went to Honda ASS never to be disappointed and we plan on doing the same with the Jazz. For a single guy travelling on the highway, the Polo might have been a better choice but for travelling with a family, its a no brainer to pick the Jazz. Over 10-15 years, comfort and peace of mind above everything for me in my car!

I do understand your point about the rubberband effect and initial sluggishness in the CVT. My 2 cents on it - it doesnt matter in the city. The highways could pose a problem, but from what little I’ve used it on the highway - the problem is taken care of in the S mode and the paddles. But the sudden kick that is expected from a turbo petrol/diesel, you will just not get it from a naturally aspirated engine. Its just meant for a relaxed, sedate drive made a little engaging thanks to the paddle shifters. Yes, its not too happy at speeds beyond 100-110 too, but I would recommend staying within limits always on the Chd-Delhi highway considering the safety and speed guns in place.

We also have a Skoda Yeti, and our ownership experience has not been good with that car. Expensive spares, expensive service, poor dealership attitude and a never ending air conditioning problem. I’ve had some friends being not too happy with VW service for their Polos/Ventos too.

I am a huge fan of the latest Ecosport AT, and I’ve heard good things about Ford ownership too, but I’m just a little worried about things going forward considering their JV with Mahindra. Just my paranoia. But if you get a good deal, a good aftermarket mechanic, then anyday a C-SUV over a hatchback in today’s day and age.
pukhrajsingh93 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 11:05   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
A slightly used Honda City CVT (4th Gen) has started entering in my head. Is the build quality of the car similar to the Jazz? I'm not seriously considering it yet, it's just a thought.
If you like it and a trusted mechanic says it is in good condition, but it over a Jazz. The 1.5 i-VTEC + CVT is a brilliant combo. Powertrain wise, Jazz = good, City = Excellent.
landcruiser123 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 11:32   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A slightly used Honda City CVT (4th Gen) has started entering in my head. Is the build quality of the car similar to the Jazz? I'm not seriously considering it yet, it's just a thought.
Build Quality-wise, the City will be equal or just a bit better than the Jazz. Like BHPian LandCruiser123 mentioned, find a good mechanic and have him check it out. If he approves of it, you'll be much happier with the City than the Jazz. But do check out if you can live with the CVT over a longer period of time.
Old 9th October 2020, 12:55   #80
BHPian

I only moved to my current city a couple of months ago, I don't know any reliable mechanics I'm afraid. This constant moving is why I don't want to go with cars which require a local and reliable mechanic for their upkeep. I have to necessarily rely on the A.S.S.
Old 9th October 2020, 14:14   #81
Senior - BHPian

I would say go for the Polo TSI AT if you dont need the space of a Jazz. The Polo is quite comfortable, once you are inside. It's not "spacious" but is adequate for an average sized adult. Its more versatile and capable than the Jazz 1.2 if you use the car on highways.
Old 10th October 2020, 02:36   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I only moved to my current city a couple of months ago, I don't know any reliable mechanics I'm afraid. This constant moving is why I don't want to go with cars which require a local and reliable mechanic for their upkeep. I have to necessarily rely on the A.S.S.
Slightly

Your "reliable mechanic" can be an FNG or in the ASS. Get it inspected by Honda. Barring one owner who probably got a lemon, all the owners of the 4th gen City whom I know are happy with their car. While buying any used car, try to get as much of the service history and an inspection of a mechanic to ensure you don't buy a lemon. Check this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...car-india.html (ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India)

Also, post on the Honda City review thread to get an idea of good service center and contacts of the SA in your area.

Good luck!

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 10th October 2020 at 02:40.
Old 10th October 2020, 08:46   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Your "reliable mechanic" can be an FNG or in the ASS. Get it inspected by Honda.
Good luck!
Thanks. But I haven't even had any interactions at the A.S.S with mechanics (I usually try to, the Maruti ASS here is horrible). I also am yet to evaluate the FNGs. For now, all I have is my own understanding of automobiles.

Anyway, we've finalised on the Jazz ZX CVT now and I've also paid the booking amount for it. My father's decided that this is going to become his car in place of the Ritz eventually and he doesn't like/want a sedan. I guess I better start saving for my own car.

I will definitely eventually go for a used City CVT. I like the idea of it very much and it'd make for a great project car.
RoadMonkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 10:13   #84
BHPian

Timely thread indeed. I am in the lookout for a new car to replace my 13 year old Swift VXi, which has clocked 1,35,000+ kms. Apart from this car, I also have a S-Cross at home. So for the new car, I wanted to go for a different brand.

The main purpose of this car will be for daily city commute and hatchback makes a lot of sense for me here. After using Swift for all these years, I wanted a car that is spacious and reliable as Swift. Long story short, after all the considerations, the following cars were shortlisted. Both these cars come at similar on road price in Bangalore.
  • Honda Jazz ZX CVT
  • VW Polo GT TSI

I took the TD of these 2 cars last week. Here are my observations:

Honda Jazz ZX CVT :
This car is as spacious as Swift. From outside, this car may look small, but inside it has all the space required. There is good amount of space for rear seat occupants as well.
CVT is smooth to drive and fits the bill for all practical purpose. 1.2L naturally aspirated iVTEC engine does what is expected out of it. Overtakes in highways will have to be planned in advance. I also believe this can keep a very good cruising speed in highways. For city driving, this is a breeze.
Engine noise is evident inside the cabin. But engine is smooth and you do not feel any vibrations.

VW Polo GT TSI
Polo GT TSI was launched only a couple of weeks back and I was very much looking for a TD of this vehicle.
This car is very eager to move( either in D or in R). Initially I enjoyed this eagerness on the highway, but soon realised the pain of this in stop and go traffic. The breaks will have to work real hard in city traffic. You just cannot put the gear in D mode and crawl in traffic, just not possible. The same holds good in reverse gear as well. I felt this can be a concern in parking in tight spots in city. I may be new to automatic cars, but this somehow does not feel right. This is like riding a tuned RX 100. Put it in first gear and leave the clutch, the bike will be doing the wheelie for you. If you do not want the wheelie, you have to try hard to stop it from wheeling.
Cabin feels very safe. You have to look at the RPM to check if engine is running. Otherwise there is no way to tell if the car is cranked.
Rear seat is cramped. I am 5' 11'', with driving seat adjusted to my driving position, I could not sit comfortable in the back seat.
I also looked at the engine bay with the engine running. The 3 cylinder engine vibrates a lot and this was not something that installed confidence in me. However VW has done a brilliant job in keeping all the vibrations away from the cabin.
This TD also made me feel that the expensive maintenance from VW will become more expensive.

Conclusion based on TD:
I had to remove Polo GT TSI from my list, mainly due to the hyper eagerness of automatic gearbox and vibrations which I saw in engine bay. This being a new engine and gearbox from VW, I feel needs more time for refinement.

So Jazz is still on this list. Waiting for i20 to be launched this festive season.
_abhishek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 13:27   #85
BHPian

Due to an unexpected turn of events, and much to the disappointment of some of the members here, we have canceled the Jazz and booked Polo. We will receive the delivery of the car in a few days. More than the car, this happened because of our purchase experience.

As I have previously mentioned, I wanted to change my car and not just buy a new one. The resale of the Baleno for a respectable price and acceptable depreciation was a necessity for us. I live in Haryana but we have a Punjab registered car. We had considerable trouble selling it here, although Cars24 said they offer all over India bidding, the price we were quoted was quite low.

Along with that, Honda salesmen either from Punjab or from Haryana didn't really pursue us wrt the Jazz. Even after I'd booked the car, it didn't seem like they much cared if they sold us the car or not. There was a certain indifference about the experience and they also didn't seem all that happy with an exchange - the value they offered told us that much.

We still had our mind (mind, not heart) set on the Jazz, however, since we were struggling to easily sell the car - I casually contacted VW Ludhiana regarding a possible exchange. Their response was mind blowing. An exceptional sales team and customer handling, this was to be our best experience at any dealership of any brand. Both my father and I were blown away by the way they made it super easy for us despite us being from out of state. They offered to drive all the way to my city ~250kms away for a Test Drive! They even offered to bring along every document necessary and even a valuator for our car.

We usually only need an excuse to run around on the highways, we refused their generous offer and went to the dealership ourselves. They offered us a very good price for the Baleno, offered to keep the car on the spot, gave us generous discounts (more than even I bargained for) and dropped us back home! I also got to drive the GT TSI half the way and it was an absolute delight. The D mode alone is sufficient for me, I didn't even feel the need to switch to the manual mode. On top of everything, while I was casually discussing with my father the prospect of taking a cab when we go to receive the car, the RM overheard and offered a further discount matching our cab fare. Simply amazing! These little touches make your experience delightful.

More than the car itself, the sales experience sealed the deal for us. We had no doubts left. It had to be a car from this very dealership. My father's heart was set on the Blue VW T-Roc. Maybe some other time.
RoadMonkey is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 14:01   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Due to an unexpected turn of events, and much to the disappointment of some of the members here, we have canceled the Jazz and booked Polo. We will receive the delivery of the car in a few days. More than the car, this happened because of our purchase experience.

As I have previously mentioned, I wanted to change my car and not just buy a new one. The resale of the Baleno for a respectable price and acceptable depreciation was a necessity for us. I live in Haryana but we have a Punjab registered car. We had considerable trouble selling it here, although Cars24 said they offer all over India bidding, the price we were quoted was quite low.

Along with that, Honda salesmen either from Punjab or from Haryana didn't really pursue us wrt the Jazz. Even after I'd booked the car, it didn't seem like they much cared if they sold us the car or not. There was a certain indifference about the experience and they also didn't seem all that happy with an exchange - the value they offered told us that much.

We still had our mind (mind, not heart) set on the Jazz, however, since we were struggling to easily sell the car - I casually contacted VW Ludhiana regarding a possible exchange. Their response was mind blowing. An exceptional sales team and customer handling, this was to be our best experience at any dealership of any brand. Both my father and I were blown away by the way they made it super easy for us despite us being from out of state. They offered to drive all the way to my city ~250kms away for a Test Drive! They even offered to bring along every document necessary and even a valuator for our car.

We usually only need an excuse to run around on the highways, we refused their generous offer and went to the dealership ourselves. They offered us a very good price for the Baleno, offered to keep the car on the spot, gave us generous discounts (more than even I bargained for) and dropped us back home! I also got to drive the GT TSI half the way and it was an absolute delight. The D mode alone is sufficient for me, I didn't even feel the need to switch to the manual mode. On top of everything, while I was casually discussing with my father the prospect of taking a cab when we go to receive the car, the RM overheard and offered a further discount matching our cab fare. Simply amazing! These little touches make your experience delightful.

More than the car itself, the sales experience sealed the deal for us. We had no doubts left. It had to be a car from this very dealership. My father's heart was set on the Blue VW T-Roc. Maybe some other time.
Congratulations, it's a great car

Why didn't you take a look at the Rapid AT ? Someone I know got a deal of 11.9L for the Onyx AT in Delhi including 0Dep, RTI, EP, etc, a whopping discount of around 1.6L. And he isn't a great negotiator. In Haryana it will be even cheaper by 30-40k due to lower Road tax. Compared to the Polo you will lose out on Cruise Control, however you will get a full size sedan, projector headlamps, etc. The engine and gearbox is identical as well with fantastic dynamics. If you go with the similar spec'd Ambition it will be 30k less, just that it will have 15 inch alloys. End result at around 11.3-11.5L a much bigger car with the same fun.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 16th October 2020 at 14:10.
Old 16th October 2020, 17:07   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _abhishek View Post

Honda Jazz ZX CVT :
This car is as spacious as Swift. From outside, this car may look small, but inside it has all the space required.
Jazz is considerably more spacious than a Swift and in fact more spacious than even Baleno.
Old 17th October 2020, 15:00   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on your great decision. It has been a good king discussion about the Polo vs Jazz but in the end The polo moves ahead because of many factors.

It's pathetic to see the poor response by the Honda dealerships for the Jazz. This made me think of my visit to the Tata showroom a few days back.

The SA I was in contact with was very kind and polite and we discussed a lot of aspects about the car. He answered all my queries and was very responsive even on the phone calls.

I will be taking the TD of the Tigor once again next week and will be also booking the car for delivery on 16th November.

Anyways, congrats again! Hope to see an initial ownership report by you on your new car.

Cheers and Good Luck
chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 08:50   #89
BHPian

Old thread but anyway congrats on the Polo. Recently did a booking in Chennai for the Jazz VX CVT for my wife and the dealership experience was the opposite. When I went to the showroom the VW sales team was bent on selling me the Taigun inspite of me reminding them multiple times that this was the 2nd car meant for city rides and all I wanted was a premium fuss free ownership. They did not have the TSI AT TD available at showroom when I went and never bothered to arrange one even after a week with gentle reminder calls from my end. The Honda team on the contrary was more proactive and TD at home was arranged the very next day. The surveyor was also present during the TD at home appointment. When I wanted a better price for my old car another Honda dealer picked up the thread and closed it. Financing and other formalities were done in 2 days flat and now we are all set to welcome home a Pearl Red Jazz VX CVT in a few days
Old 15th November 2021, 19:15   #90
BHPian

Although the thread is a little old, thought of dropping my own experience with these 2 cars when i took their TD last month.

Have a Volkswagen Vento TSi (2016) and was looking for a hatch that wont trouble my BP in the mad traffic of Mumbai and Pune. Had short-listed the Honda Jazz and the Volkswagen Polo.

Took the TD at Prabhadevi (Mumbai) as Honda and Volkswagen dealerships are right next to each other. Since I own a VW, I wanted to try the Jazz first (was sure it will be no match to the driving dynamics of Polo).

Arya Honda's staff was courteous. Arranged for a TD with the ZX trim of the Jazz. The colour I had shortlisted wasn't available and the SA said it'd take about a week for the car to reach the dealership once the booking amount was received. While on my way out, the SA tried suggesting getting a City or a Amaze (in case i was not keen on increasing my budget).

Jazz pros:
- Reliable product.
- Service cost is not as bad as the Volkswagen.
- Car is roomy, rear sitting is great.
- The sunroof gives it a great airy feeling.
- Gets you the gadgets that current generation requires.

Cons:
- No magic seats.
- Rubberband effect. Overtaking can be painful.
- The AC was a let down, did not cool properly (over a 25-mins TD).
- Ride was not that great and reassuring.
- For 5'11", the driver's seat wasn't very comfortable.

Now, stepped into the VW showroom next door (Volkswagen Downtown). I'd already burnt my fingers with VW Mumbai North so wasn't sure about the welcome. But since Dr. Frank Mehta had suggested on the forum, spoke directly to Hardik Parmar. He was phenomenal. Arranged for a TD and to my surprise did not bother selling me a Tagiun when I told him my requirement. But the biggest issue, 4 months waiting time. And I was told this is an issue across all the dealerships (supply chain constraints plus the good response for Taigun & Kushaq).

Polo pros:
- Superb driving dynamics.
- Handles well (maybe my experience with the Vento might have aided me here).
- The TC gearbox isn't that bad.
- Comfortable driving position (thanks to tilt & telescopic steering) and good seat travel (at the cost of the rear seat comfort).
- Cooling was top notch.
- Solidly built.

Cons:
- Rear seat leg space is non existent (at least when am driving the car).
- Engine is not super refined.
- Luggage space is only good for a weekend trip for a couple.
- Volkswagen's legendary after sales service issues (that luckily hasn't haunted me - thank you BU Bhandari).

Since wife had loved Jazz, wanted to keep an open mind (the Vento is doing the job well). But after the TD, the wife too seemed to have put her weight behind the Polo. So finally booked the Polo then and there. The SA said there can be some movement in December. Keeping my fingers crossed.
sameer_vwagner is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks