Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2020, 10:36   #31
BHPian

Re: Automatic Shootout : Honda Jazz vs VW Polo

If you don't mind suggesting something outside your initial preference, please check out the Brezza Vxi AT. Why ?

1 - High GC
2 - Reliable
3 - Non nonsense AT
Old 6th October 2020, 11:12   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post

Then the Jazz came and we mulled hard about whether to consider it or not. We put our finances together, liquidated a few investments and so on. Spending a penny over the amount quoted for the Jazz would be putting things under considerable strain.
Few brands come close to Honda for peace of mind and low cost of regular maintenance. I quite like the Jazz, it is spacious, well made and while performance is not exciting, it is adequate.

It does feel dated and that is the reason many of my friends have chosen to purchase other cars. But it is pretty well specced though no fancy stuff like the Koreans offer.

VW and Skoda cars require an inordinate amount of care and strict adherence to service schedules. Small niggles must be fixed immediately, before they create larger headaches. But if this is done, they age well too.

Honda also now offers 10 years of warranty, we recently extended it for my wife's 8 year old Brio (though we have never made any warranty claims till date).

Over the 8 years & 58,000 km on Bangalore's martian surface, the only premature part failure has been a bulb inside the AC switch. The wear and tear parts we have changed are shock absorbers, brake pads and 1 set of tyres.

In comparison a classmate of mine, went for the Polo GT TSi (I had suggested she buy the Jazz CVT); got a call from her a couple of weeks back and she was having problems with the gearbox within 15,000 km and she wanted to escalate the matter.
Redline6800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 11:33   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
There's a ZX variant now and I'm considering that. For a car one keeps for long, I believe one should stretch for the top end.
I respect you considering the top end, but is the ZX variant really worth the stretch? I think the only important feature it offers is the fog lamps (worth Rs 5000?). Of course you get the sunroof, but even with that I don't think price premium over VX variant is justified. I rather feel that the V variant is actually value for money as most essential features are available including rear wiper and reverse camera. By the way, since you stressed on safety in the opening post, what's your take on the useless rear headrests? Seatbelt pretensioners and load limiters are also conspicuous by their absence post BS6 upgrade.
Old 6th October 2020, 11:41   #34
BHPian

You kind of nicely summed it up when you said that it is like comparing apples and oranges.
Unless space is an issue the Polo would be hands down a much better car to drive while the Jazz has tons of space and a very very useful boot. Also being a Honda you should have a hassle free ownership experience.
Why do you not try the Yaris CVT J variant. There would be some excellent discounts on offer and the CVT mated to the bigger engine might help reduce the rubber band effect marginally.
Old 6th October 2020, 11:47   #35
BHPian

I was in the same boat a few months back. After all the research what conclusion I came to was - you will have to pick one - safety or reliability. You can't get top notch safety and top notch reliability both in this (or any?) segment. Hence, I decided to wait till next year for more options as I am not in a hurry to buy.
  • If safety is your topmost priority - VW Polo hands down. Its not that Jazz is unsafe, but it can never match the build quality of a VW. In case of frontal overlap crash scenario, they may perform similarly. But in thousand other scenarios like being T-boned etc., VW will be much safer. Don't want to comment on this further as it will lead to unnecessary arguments with Honda and VW fans.
  • If reliability is your topmost priority - Honda or Toyota is the way to go.

Another points to note:
  • Honda 1.2L iVtec is an interference engine too. So, if the belt snaps, it can damage the engine too, just like you have mentioned about the Polo.
  • You can consider other cars - Yaris J CVT, but looking at its(foreign specced most probably) crash testing video on YouTube didn't give me much confidence on its build. Or you can wait if Skoda launches Rapid Rider AT. Skoda Rapid will not be an improvement on the reliability as the mechanicals will be the same as that of VW Polo, but it will solve your lack of space problem. And it will be at least as (structurally) safe as the Polo, if not more.

Last edited by thehacker : 6th October 2020 at 12:10.
thehacker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 11:53   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_kumar View Post
I respect you considering the top end, but is the ZX variant really worth the stretch? I think the only important feature it offers is the fog lamps (worth Rs 5000?). Of course you get the sunroof, but even with that I don't think price premium over VX variant is justified. I rather feel that the V variant is actually value for money as most essential features are available including rear wiper and reverse camera. By the way, since you stressed on safety in the opening post, what's your take on the useless rear headrests? Seatbelt pretensioners and load limiters are also conspicuous by their absence post BS6 upgrade.
I'm a sucker for the front look of the ZX. I won't like to manually update things in the car for a long, long time. Sunroof is completely useless to me. The V variant misses out on the paddle shifters, without which I cannot accept an automatic.

I didn't realise Honda had deleted those safety features post BS6 upgrade. I see no reason for them to do this.
Old 6th October 2020, 12:32   #37
BHPian

As you have said, you have no problems with an AMT. Then why not have a look at Nexon XZA+ which costs almost same as Jazz ZX. You get a 5 star safety rated CSUV and also get a turbo petrol. You should definitely take a TD of it before finalising.
Old 6th October 2020, 12:50   #38
BHPian

Well after all the discussions about Tata Tiago/Tigor, it seems you have now moved on from Tata to Polo/Jazz. Since you have driven the CVT's and AT's of Polo why don't you go back to Tata again and try out the AMT for better comparison. I think giving Tata a chance wouldn't be an issue. I know you aren't satisfied with the power loss issue, this might have been corrected in the BS6 iteration and just that even in BS4 it occurs only once or twice in the whole 20k kms of the ownership. There are Hyundai's running on the roads with a potential of break failures but still not anyone pay heeds about that. I will still say wait for long term ownerships of AMT Tiago's for better clarity.

Cheers and Good Luck!
chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 13:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

I have driven both the cars in BS6. The jazz only has these advantages
-space
-somewhat more blingy equipment
-perceived reliability. Cosmetic quality anyway has taken a nosedive.
-paddle shifters

Rest, the 6TC of polo with 1.0 TSI absolutely murders the jazz in performance, torque, handling, ride and stability. Shifts are quick and manual mode is fun. Its almost like the 8 speed ZF in mass market class.

If I was at your place, I would have thought to think many times before plonking 10 big ones on both the products which are internationally past their sale dates.

My advice: Wait for the i20 1.0 7DCT. Mark my words it will be worth the wait.
sidindica is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 14:49   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehacker View Post
If safety is your topmost priority - VW Polo hands down ... But in thousand other scenarios like being T-boned etc., VW will be much safer.
Thanks. I shall consider that as well. It will still primarily be a car for me. The family will tag along for about 1/4th of the car's running.

Quote:
Honda 1.2L iVtec is an interference engine too. So, if the belt snaps, it can damage the engine too, just like you have mentioned about the Polo.
I was not aware of this. After your mention of this fact, I did a little more research on engines in general. I understand things a better now. There's a general association of reliability with Honda engines. That biases me towards the Jazz.

Quote:
You can consider other cars - Yaris J CVT
Living with a sedan is nightmare in my part of the country. I have to visit my hometown and the only real car made for those roads is Alto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash118 View Post
As you have said, you have no problems with an AMT. Then why not have a look at Nexon XZA+ which costs almost same as Jazz ZX. You get a 5 star safety rated CSUV and also get a turbo petrol. You should definitely take a TD of it before finalising.
Nexon itself has AMT issues to iron out alongside Tiago/Tigor. I worry about an AMT failure and the instances of it are still in far too high numbers for me to take a risk, given my high amount of running. I like the look of the newer Tata cars, I'd definitely pick one if I wanted a MT car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpk View Post
why don't you go back to Tata again and try out the AMT for better comparison. I think giving Tata a chance wouldn't be an issue ... I will still say wait for long term ownerships of AMT Tiago's for better clarity.

Cheers and Good Luck!
Thanks! Unfortuantely I cannot wait for the long term ownership reviews as I'm reminded of how badly I need a new car whenever I sleep with discomfort in my left knee. I did TD Tiago, it's fine, really. I don't mind the AMT as such - it's the power loss issue I can't take a risk over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
If I was at your place, I would have thought to think many times before plonking 10 big ones on both the products which are internationally past their sale dates.

My advice: Wait for the i20 1.0 7DCT. Mark my words it will be worth the wait.
What makes you think I haven't been thinking day and night about this decision? It's a big one for anybody. I do not mind old cars - and I might be labelled an oddball for expressing this view here, but I absolutely detest the way new cars are being conceived. It's all about the electronics, the gizmos, the wireless connectivity - all of which are a horrible put off for me. I would much prefer a car that was/is an international version and was brought here as it is. Hyundai has a tendency of making different cars for India.

There's been concerns about a dry dual clutch auto box's ability to handle b2b traffic, or basically any scenario involving a high no. of gearshifts in a small span of time. People have reported transmission heating up in their Venue on this forum as well. I do not want to take that risk. There's nothing more reliable than a TC from Aisin (Toyota) or a Honda CVT in the market at this price.

So far, my experience with Honda's sales has been an extreme put off. The Sales rep seems barely informed about the car and confirms his information of the car's variants from me! He's even failed to remember that there's a going discount on the Jazz. This experience has affected my decision in favour of the Jazz. The Honda dealerships in the nearby towns are of the same owner and they all refer me to the local one. I checked with another Honda dealership from Punjab (Lally Motors) and the salesman there was also a put off. He seemed like he was out to get me for as much as possible. Any hint of duplicitous behaviour on part of the sales rep is a huge turn off for any prospective buyer.

Comparing this to the VW sales rep, the difference is that of night and day! Obviously I cannot let this affect a decision whose consequences I will have to bear for a long time in the future. It still deserves a mention. I almost wish the VW sales rep was the one selling me Honda Jazz.

Edit : I have been quoted 10.05L for the VW Polo and 11.05L for the Jazz. Inclusive of discounts.

Last edited by RoadMonkey : 6th October 2020 at 15:12.
RoadMonkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 14:53   #41
BHPian

Hi,

If you can wait for few weeks, you can check out the new i20, it looks awesome, not sure if you will have a CVT or torque converter units in it, might get the 1.0 L DCT though.
Old 6th October 2020, 15:22   #42
BHPian

Hi Dear,

First of all I would like to tell you that you will take your own sweet time to get used to the CVT gearbox. I say this from my experience of owning a Nissan Sunny 1.5 CVT previously. Once the initial "training period" is completed, you will love the way it drives sedately. Add to this, I became a sedate driver after driving the CVT for long. CVT I had didn't even come with a paddle, so you are lucky enough to have that at your fingertips for all the "If In Case" requirements.

Apart from the Jazz I would suggest the Nexon and Urban Cruiser to you. Yes you are not confident in TATA but I believe that the current generation Nexon is a well sorted car. Moreover considering your health concerns my suggestion is to go for an Automatic + High seating car which will help you in long term.

Btw Jazz will serve you for long which is sure, we have a jazz within our family in MT avatar and it's a great car except for it's mediocre performance.

Attaching the avg. on road prices for Nexon Diesel & Petrol AMT , and Toyota UC below (Chandigarh)

Nexon Diesel
Automatic Shootout : Honda Jazz vs VW Polo-nexon.jpg

Nexon Petrol
Automatic Shootout : Honda Jazz vs VW Polo-nexon-petrol.jpg

Toyota UC
Automatic Shootout : Honda Jazz vs VW Polo-urban.jpg
Old 6th October 2020, 17:16   #43
BHPian

If you're open to the idea of a lightly used vehicle, then you could take a look at this EcoSport : https://www.olx.in/item/ford-ecospor...iid-1576102250

From the looks of it, it's a Titanium Plus, which means you get a bunch of extra safety features like 6 airbags, ESP & TC and hill hold. 2018 vehicle means you get Sync 3 infotainment instead of the sad Flyaudio systems of today.

Negotiate on the price and spend 5-10k on a good detailing and the car will be as good as new. Considering how much you'd save over a top-end Jazz or Polo, you could invest on an extended warranty package as well.

Due to the COVID pandemic, many car owners are selling their new cars to free up some extra cash for essential expenses. You might even get barely run 2020 or 2019 cars in the market due to this and maybe save a lakh or more on new car prices.
Old 6th October 2020, 18:18   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saur95 View Post
If you're open to the idea of a lightly used vehicle, then you could take a look at this EcoSport : https://www.olx.in/item/ford-ecospor...iid-1576102250
Those offers are indeed tempting but I have reservations about transferring the RC across state borders.
Old 6th October 2020, 18:52   #45
BHPian

We have a 2013 Polo Petrol MT and a 2015 Jazz Petrol V CVT in the family. The Polo is a great drivers car while the Jazz is a much spacious hatchback.

Your parents liking for the Jazz is a natural choice for them. They will face considerable discomfort getting in and out of the Polo while the Jazz is relatively much easier with more legroom.

We haven't had any issues with reliability of either vehicle so far. Now that the 2020 Jazz has a service interval of a year, the service costs will be similar. You will learn the trick of milking the Jazz's performance as you spend time with the car.

Safe drives.
Zen Av8r is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed