Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2007, 17:10   #46
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations ,a very nice choice indeed.
Old 9th April 2007, 19:46   #47
Team-BHP Support

I really wish i could buy the Swift DDiS too...

Its such a fantastic car....

Congrats again!!!
Old 9th April 2007, 21:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

thanks all, once the car comes, i ll start a thread on the maintenance. most likely it will be a city only driving but just because i have bought the car i ll try and make it highways as well
Old 9th April 2007, 21:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

3 test drives in a day and 3 reviews and in the end the DDIs! Great choice
Old 19th April 2007, 20:44   #50
Senior - BHPian

hey all,

my swift D is yet to come, i m frustrated waiting for it. in the meanwhile i ve now come across these:

1. used honda city, 2003 (esteem type design), 17k km done, 1.5 EXI 100bhp, asking price 5.5 lacs, friend owned and company leased, well maintained - dropped this due to low seating (i have a back problem and cant stoop too low to get into car)

2. used honda city, 2005 (intermediate design), 10k km done, 1.5 GXI, 77bhp, asking price may be 6 lacs, friend owned and company leased, well maintained

3. used honda city, 2006 (auto, GXI CVT), 4k km done, 77bhp, asking price 7.7 lacs, too steep, honda itself advised about less resale value if i buy it, friend owned well maintained

4. used honda city, 2004 (intermediate design), 20k km done, 1.5 GXI, 77bhp, asking price may be 5.5 - 6 lacs, friend owned and company leased, okayish maintained

should i think of cancelling swift D and going for any of these? any inputs?
Old 19th April 2007, 20:53   #51
Senior - BHPian

I think the current choice you have made is good - but choice number 2 looks good as well. 1 looks good as well, but it is 4 years old already. You get the snob value and a quick delivery. Go ahead if the background checks on the vehicle return positive. Otherwise wait it out. New car -> lesser headache.
Old 20th April 2007, 11:51   #52
Senior - BHPian

Drove the honda city just now (option 2), felt good though a tad bit underpowered at 3rd gears to lug people ahead, with a/c the 77bhp has been tuned for FE rather than power. the torque of 12.8kgm comes in only at 2700 which is why swift diesel is better with 190NM at 1500-1700 rpm.

anyways, was otherwise happy with option 2 above, how much can i ask for? my starting quote was 5.5 lacs. lets see whether thats optimal. any inputs?
Old 20th April 2007, 11:53   #53
Team-BHP Support

good choice and yes do bargain if you get for 5.5 to 5.75 good deal for option 2
Old 21st April 2007, 10:35   #54
Senior - BHPian

one thing that bothers me in the honda city is the lack of ABS or airbags even in GXI model. i wanted to know if this is ok to still drive the car believing the crash tests and crumple zones? would you consider the NHC to be safe? if you were in NCAP what rating would you give to NHC without the ABS and airbags? and when the new baleno does trickle in, would you consider that honda might suddenly start introducing airbags and ABS at the same prices?

that aside, i was even considering the new baleno by the time my swift came in, but i foresee big delivery problems even for the new baleno, with maruti being unable to cope with the swift D itself for so long. (that too for non ABS models!) - this is the vast difference between honda and maruti the city is well proven for almost 10 years now and the increase in FE and lowering of BHP has only done good to the car in terms of the FE cravy junta, rather than anything diastrous otherwise. if maruti cannot keep up in terms of deliveries, that will be their starting point of nagging problems w.r.t customer satisfaction. that aside, the baleno will be a new car, still unproven on indian roads, which makes it all the more vulnerable for people like me to go out and buy it as soon as its launched. keeping my fingers crossed to compete something in this in the next 2 wks, either the old NHC, or the swift D, or the new baleno.

with 100+ bhp i doubt if the new baleno can give 12-13 in city, i would be surprised if it gives anything beyond 10-11 with a/c.
Old 21st April 2007, 11:12   #55
Team-BHP Support

Boy, I have never seen someone more confused.
My 2 cents
1. NCAP does many tests. They have an entire test facility. So giving ratings is not so easy. Ambassador seems like a very solid and safe car, but would not probably get more than 1 star in safety ratings. So to go on feedback like "Feels like a solid car" and determining safety is not wise
2. NHC will be safer than OHC. Its a newer design. It has great crumple zones. Honda cars are pretty safe for the occupants. However insane speeds will not save you even if you drive an S class. From your perspective, if you really want Airbags, go for something with airbags, do not try to balance your decision, its yours. Are you comfortable driving without airbags and ABS? I'm, so they don't figure on my list of must have, just good to have. So its your call, nobody else can tell you
3. Delivery problems happen when a company can't produce enough of a car. This is not something new. We bought our first santro when Maruti kept delaying our zen delivery, so we cancelled the delivery, and got the santro. Thank our stars for that. Delivery problems were there with petrol swift too. But that does not mean their workshops will treat customers shoddily. Moreover I do not see the same craze for a 6-8 Lakh car as for a sub 5 lakh diesel.
4. Honda makes real great engines. 5 years ago there was nothing in the market which could compete with a honda engine. But now everybody has matured. Fiat 1.3 multijet is one of the best engines in the world. Verna petrol engine is one of the smoothest petrol engines in India. So thinking honda engine is a pinnacle is no longer valid. Its just another very good engine, the likes of which are now made by Suzuki(Maruti), Fiat, Hyundai etc.,
5. SX4 is not a new car. Its a tested design. Swift did well. Sure the build is a little flimsy on plastic front,as ICE guys will tell you, but nothing serious.

Last but not the least your posts are confusing
What do you want?
Do you really want an oil burner? If you want an oil burner below 6 lakhs I you have the following options
1. Swift D 2. Indigo (DICOR is 6) 3. Indica Turbo.
The latter 2 are not refined, but none of the three will leave you stranded high and dry. Smoothness really matter to you, its just swift D
You can spend 7 lakh + on a car. Then you have Fiesta Verna and maybe New baleno, if it comes in diesel. Fiesta is the quietest, but New Baleno may change that, and Verna is the most powerful and fun. You are the king of test drives, so take some more.

Now if you don't need/want a diesel but want a petrol car which gives 12kmpl in city your options are
1. Getz 1.3 - I have extensively driven this, including a fast Jaipur to Kufri stint. Amazing car, very comfortable, no fatigue. But a little wanting on power side
2. Swift P - Many people are happy owners
3. NHC - Best mileage. Actually. No matter what everybody may say, honda can give you 15 in city if you drive sensibly and keep the engine smack in middle of power band. I know more than 3 people who get 14+ in city.
4. Verna - 11-12 in city is gettable. Its as smooth engine, but not very powerful.

So here are your options. Decide on this. The more you wait, the more you will be confused. In another months time you may have the DICOR in equation too, looking at the way this thread is going.
Old 21st April 2007, 11:22   #56
Senior - BHPian

Geek,
You look awfully confused. If i am not mistaken you have already test driven almost every B and Lower C segment car from puny Palio 1.1 to Logan DLS! And now from no-where OHC, NHC come into the equation. I tell you what, Civic screws them all. Why not consider it?

The post given by TSK should help you a lot. This forum can only help you more if you specify your requirements and priorities, budget more clearly. And most importantly, what YOU want from your car.

I think its time for you to sit back, relax, and start thinking all-over again. Think about, if you bought say car A, 1 year down the line, would you be repenting your decision, and thinking you should have gone for car B ?

And dont let so many options confuse you.
Old 21st April 2007, 11:24   #57
Senior - BHPian

tsk,

thanks for your rather long reply. i ve already booked the swift D, just that it is taking enormous time to come through. in the meanwhile, if there is any car which sounds reasonable as well, maruti is more than willing to refund my booking (since this is an open booking). personally if the hondas dont click, then the swift D remains. so i dont see any confusion here. its either swift or any other car like the NHC if it fits my budget. i ve already test driven everything else and removed them from the equation.

your mail though was very detailed for me. appreciate it
Old 21st April 2007, 11:30   #58
Team-BHP Support

You line "Car like NHC" is the confusion part.
Right now in Like NHC you have Aveo, Fiesta, Verna or the New Maruti Baleno!
Secondly its not really clear whats your budget!

I would suggest wait out for the swift D. Hound them more and try and see if you can get in in 30 days or so.
Old 21st April 2007, 11:33   #59
Senior - BHPian

tsk

my mistake, i shouldve made it more clearer, sorry about that. budget - 6 lacs, not one paisa more, the lower the merrier. the second part, its either swift D or old NHCs mentioned above (particularly option 2 in my earlier posts) - i dont have anything else in mind.
Old 21st April 2007, 11:43   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
tsk,

I ve already booked the swift D, just that it is taking enormous time to come through. in the meanwhile, if there is any car which sounds reasonable ..
I second TSK on all points. Read no. 2 again.

IMHO there should not be the "meanwhile" thing when you already made your decisions and booked a car. Decision making will always be a never ending story. Good car ( also bad cars ) will keep on coming months after months .. years after years. so .....

I will suggest to just Relax, Relax and Relax and wait for your baby to arrive
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks