Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2007, 13:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki SX4 or NHC type 1 second hand EDIT: SX4 now booked - EDIT 1 -Swift VDi booked

Hey all,

I had an earlier post "Help Choose" on this forum, i couldnt edit it, so another new thread.

of my choices i had earlier, i went to different showrooms and had a first level feel of the car(s) there.

the following remain on my list:

1. hyundai getz 1.1 prime
2. logan 1.5 diesel (yet to see this car and decide for or against it)
3. Petra Diesel (available but slow delivery from ranjangaon to blr, 2007 model)
4. aveo 1.4 LS (have read a lot on good things in the car, but scared on the safety ratings of this car)

most likely the getz will be the last in the list (if i am able to rule out all else)

Please throw in your opinions once again

a. whether buying the petra @ 6.5 on road is a good deal? (i know servicing is an issue, but i m prepared to do something on that)
b. is the logan diesel like the aveo or fiesta in terms of feel? (well no one knows right now, but i guess we can find out shortly)
c. are the bad safety ratings of the aveo really something to worry about?
Old 2nd April 2007, 14:06   #2
BHPian

hey dude
first tell us what do you want from your car then expert can help you.
you want FE or performance orspace o whatever,write down what you are looking for i am sure you will get alot of input.
Old 2nd April 2007, 14:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
a. whether buying the petra @ 6.5 on road is a good deal? (i know servicing is an issue, but i m prepared to do something on that)
b. is the logan diesel like the aveo or fiesta in terms of feel? (well no one knows right now, but i guess we can find out shortly)
c. are the bad safety ratings of the aveo really something to worry about?
a. Why Petra? Its the first gen IDI diesel engine. For that price, you can get common rail now (Dicor, Logan, Swift)

b. No. Infact it looks quite outdated even compared to the Indigo. It feels very basic. No thrills and frills. But then, looks are not its forte. Its meant to be a cheap, value for money sedan.

c. Bad safety ratings for Aveo? I am not aware of this.

Last edited by DCEite : 2nd April 2007 at 14:11.
Old 2nd April 2007, 14:13   #4
BHPian

I guess you will have to wait for the models to come out before you can make a decision
Old 2nd April 2007, 14:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite View Post
a. Why Petra? Its the first gen IDI diesel engine. For that price, you can get common rail now (Dicor, Logan, Swift)
petra is much much better a car than the three you have given (space, ease of drive, etc) - price of swift 5.5 OTR, price of petra 6.5 ! i dont like tata cars. its not refined. skoda too is only turbo charged diesel not crdi, dont they sell?

Quote:
b. No. Infact it looks quite outdated even compared to the Indigo. It feels very basic. No thrills and frills. But then, looks are not its forte. Its meant to be a cheap, value for money sedan.
agree, i wasnt too impressed, but just want to see it before ruling it out

Quote:
c. Bad safety ratings for Aveo? I am not aware of this.
please read
Chevrolet Aveo gets thumbs down from Euro NCAP
and many other threads where the aveo bashing has been going on for lots of time now on this site.
Old 2nd April 2007, 14:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Have you driven the Petra D, Geek? IMHO the engine is outdated, but otherwise the car is sweet! If you are comparing it against the Indigos, then it should be a better deal ( I don't know about the pricing for the Indigo). Also, does the car come with ABS and airbags?

I would also like to add that the engine of the Petra D is underpowered. But the competition (read Indigos) are nowhere in terms of fit and finish. It all boils down to the money you will be shelling out vis-a-vis the Indigo. And yeah, I really don't know how the Logan will turn out.

Last edited by typeOnegative : 2nd April 2007 at 14:21.
Old 2nd April 2007, 14:20   #7
BHPian

Renault has always some reliability issues in Europe. So, I'll rather put a question mark on Logan.

For VFM, Fiat Petra is hard to beat now. However, you'll probably get best peace of mind from Getz.

But first decide if you want a petrol or diesel.
Old 2nd April 2007, 14:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Pricing of indigo is around 5.8-6 lacs. i ve test driven the petra once and it was ultra smooth even though its a 1.9 naturally aspirated diesel engine. well the palio diesel with 1.3 MJD will be there in sep,but knowing fiats decision making history i dont believe that they will do it by sep.
Old 2nd April 2007, 14:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
Renault has always some reliability issues in Europe. So, I'll rather put a question mark on Logan.

For VFM, Fiat Petra is hard to beat now. However, you'll probably get best peace of mind from Getz.

But first decide if you want a petrol or diesel.
I have no issues with either of them (petrol or diesel), but i m basically a petrol kind of guy since all my earlier cars were petrol. for me its the price point of 6-6.5 lac whatever fits my budget in this will be mine. i like the aveo but for the fact my knee hits the dashboard and the gear assembly is slightly placed at the back to where my hand would expect it. needless to say its safety ratings disturb me too. otherwise i wouldve taken it by now!
Old 2nd April 2007, 14:26   #10
BHPian

hi guys.
I dont really consider Petra as a value for money option. It may be great on refinement but the whole point of cost effectiveness of diesel is lost considering a possibly bad resale value.

I would anyday see Getz as a better option considering the ease of service, design, safety ratings. The only problem is that it does not have a boot. If having a boot is the consideration, may be verna petrol / baleno is also pretty good!! Not sure if the price range is different though.
Old 2nd April 2007, 14:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sriky regarding safety issues of the aveo dont think you should be that concerned ,unless we have abs and airbags in our car's we cannot really use these test for comparisons,besides the other cars here too would most likely get a thumbs down as well.

As far as the logan I doubt the engine would be refined and the interiors as plush as the aveo,however dont know if mahindra would keep indian buyers in mind and also the fact that we are buying it at a premium compared to european levels and thus give us slightly better trims atleast for the higher variants.

There is a difference between the skoda and tata engines,just that tata is using similar badging TDi.
Old 2nd April 2007, 14:40   #12
BHPian

If I were you, I'd wait for a while.
Mainly for Logan and for the Baleno replacement. Maruti always gets the pricing right, so wait and watch!

I am not sure about petra though. If the engine block itself is going to be replaced by the multi jet, then why get the hands dirty now? More details about fiat will be coming in a few days, so thats a wait and watch too!!

All these doubts will be clear in a matter of days or a month at max...
Old 2nd April 2007, 14:41   #13
BHPian

All i can say from my experience with Aveo is that do not get mislead by those safety ratings as others are no good either .... its just that others havent been rated.

Only European manufacturers offer rock solid body shells aka ... Skoda, Fiat and other high end euro brands.

Cheers ..........
Old 2nd April 2007, 15:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
hi guys.
I dont really consider Petra as a value for money option. It may be great on refinement but the whole point of cost effectiveness of diesel is lost considering a possibly bad resale value.

I would anyday see Getz as a better option considering the ease of service, design, safety ratings. The only problem is that it does not have a boot. If having a boot is the consideration, may be verna petrol / baleno is also pretty good!! Not sure if the price range is different though.
I dont like vernas seating position, utterly uncomfortable for me. yes getz is still on my mind and the boot is wow too! quite spacious for a car of its size. if i am buying getz, i can also look at palio 1.6 (space, driveability, 100bhp)

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit View Post
All i can say from my experience with Aveo is that do not get mislead by those safety ratings as others are no good either .... its just that others havent been rated.

Only European manufacturers offer rock solid body shells aka ... Skoda, Fiat and other high end euro brands.

Cheers ..........
you said it, high end brands like fiat! well i love the aveo, except for the gear part and the knee hitting the dashboard. :(

i would want to see the logan the day after tomorrow since the showroom is quite close to my house. my intuition tells me the refinement levels will be quite low on the logan.
Old 2nd April 2007, 17:13   #15
BHPian

Hi Geek !!

have you driven the Aveo ?

Gearbox is as good or as bad as the Optra but dont worry it smoothens out after 5000 kms run.

Coming to the dash issue, neither me nor my family members (including ladies) have any such problem.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed