Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2020, 10:33   #16
BHPian

Re: New to the forum. Need help buying my first (used) petrol car on a tight budget . i10 kappa vs R

In my opinion, Ritz is the better car any day, irrespective of whether you're looking for cheaper maintenance, better fuel economy, or a peppier engine. Perfect for someone who's learning how to drive. The only 'but' in this situation is, you may not find a good, well-maintained Ritz within 2 lakhs, whereas you'll find plenty of i10s. I was in the exact same situation as you 2 years ago, and instead of spending 2 lakhs on an i10, I ended up buying a 2004 Santro Xing for about 35% of the cost. I think the newest (2012-14) Santro Xings cost ~1.5 lakhs in the market today, and that's another car you can consider. If I were looking for an upgrade for myself within 2 lakhs today, the Ritz is probably the only car I'd consider.

Cheers.
boniver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 11:30   #17
BANNED

Re: New to the forum. Need help buying my first (used) petrol car on a tight budget . i10 kappa vs R

Definitely Ritz!!

It is a Maruti hence the cost of maintaining it would be a lot cheaper than the I10.
Its a mixed bag when it comes to comfort as it is the Ritz that offers a much better
driving position and the seats are much better too. But when it comes to driving,
The I10 has a much lighter clutch and smoother gearshifts (typical of a Hyundai).
I guess the Ritz would be a bit better
according to your needs so I would say that you get yourself a Ritz.

Hope this helps,
Thanks.
Tachyonites is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 11:39   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Hello brainchutney,

I am a previous Ritz owner, (vdi) and I will be biased to it. But my sister does own an i10 and I still drive it a lot.

Pro Ritz -
1. The Front seat of the Ritz is world class, I currently own an S-cross and I still wish I was in the Ritz in terms of front seat comfort. You can drive really long distances with minimal distress to you.
2. If you are going for the Ritz, try and get the Zxi (ABS & Airbag) variant. V variants added the tacho. The petrol V variant did not get factory fitted fogs, it was only in the diesel variants. (If I remember correctly).
3. It is available in BS3 and BS4 variants. The BS3 petrol has a better lower end grunt and is easily a better to drive around in the city that the BS4 variant. With the BS3 variant, it is easier to do a an EGR delete via blanking plate. BS3 k12 engine wins hands down, especially in hill areas.
4. Better mileage, you can expect a real-world efficiency of at least 17.

Cons Ritz -
Back seat is not great
Front left visiblity needs getting used to, but that is the same in i10.

Pro i10-
1. Popular
2. Back seat better than Ritz

Cons i10-
1. The side doors do not have side impact beam (again, if I remember correctly) which the Ritz had. I am talking about 2010 vintage, may have changed since then.
2. Real world mileage low

Considering the math alone, mileage and cost of service, as well, Ritz wins.

Welcome to teambhp
Thanks for the details Govigov. Really helpful. How much do you think top variants of these either of these cars (pre-owned of course) would cost today ? I'm hoping to purchase it from the original owner directly.

Also, do you think I should consider the Diesel option at all ? (Considering I may use the car only for a max of 40-50km a week)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
I used to own a 2010 Ritz Lxi, drove it for 65k, subsquently handed it over to my wife when I graduated to a Terrano in 2015. She learnt to drive on it, she used it for her office commute. Last year we exchanged it for XUV5oo. It served us pretty well, it was my first daily commute car, it was my wife's first daily commute car. We absolutely loved it.

No other car in the segment offers/offered the kind of space Ritz does. Spares are cheap and easily available. Most of the FNGs are well versed with its mechanicals so no issues in maintaining it.

What a fantastic looking thing it was. Sigh!
Thanks, Bandhav. Absolutely, the space / roominess and front seating factors are a big one up for the ritz (based on what Ive read). The FNG familiarity with the car is also a huge plus for me. Do you think 1.5L - 2L is possible for a well maintained first owner V/Zxi thats run under 50k ?

PS: Really sweet photo. I personally don't like silver cars too much (my dads Zen Lxi is silver haha) but the ritz is one of the few exception. Its one of the rare cars where I like the silver more than the white (the opposite for a Punto, the white Punto is a total looker in my books)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Welcome to TeamBHP.

We have used a Ritz VXi from 2010 to 2018 for nearly 70K + kms. It was one of the best cars we have had. I found it to the best build Maruti till date. It was taut. We did some longish trips in it. The worst mileage was around 15kmpl and the best around 22.5kmpl, both with AC during ownership. Once you get a hang of it, reversing will not be an issue. Our car had 2 sensor reverse parking sensor and no camera. But we never faced an issue. The A pillars are not that thick. Like I told earlier, once you get hang of this car, it'll not create any issue for you. The ground clearance is good enough to not scrape it at most of the places. Boot space is practical. We upgraded to S-Cross in 2018. Had our Ritz been a ZXi, I guess we would have waited for some more time. They don't make cars like that now, a well built and tough car. Do take a test drive of both before putting in your money.
Thanks for your reply, BoneCollector. Calling it the best built Maruti till date is a huge compliment ! And your quoted mileage is also what I'm hoping to get from a car. Yes absolutely will test drive the car if I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
Not really. You just have to properly adjust and use the outside the rearview mirrors. I've never faced any issue while reversing. Some people turn their heads and look back while reversing, they will find the pillars obstructing the view. I believe it is better to use the mirrors and have a wider view than unnecessarily strain the neck to get a limited view.

I've driven all the three cars when they had almost the same mileage on the odo. They all had similar hardness at that time (40-50k on odo). We had to get the clutch kit in the Linea replaced (worn out prematurely at 55k) with an updated part. The new clutch on the Linea was lighter than all these cars when they were brand new.

What I was trying to say was that, with a few ten thousand kms on the odo, there wont be much difference between the clutch pedal hardness among these cars. (Assuming all cars were not abused and driven in similar conditions)

It is subjective It is better if you take test drives in these cars and find which one suits you better. The old Figo's HPS is almost as good as the Linea.
i10 and Zen have the lightest steering wheels among them. Ritz and Linea has almost the same hardness but the Ritz has a bit of vagueness in the steering, if you know what I mean.

When new, clutch hardness of Linea<i10<Ritz. Ritz has the shortest pedal travel and linea has the longest pedal travel.

I've only driven the figo 1.5, never filled up, so didn't really check the FE. It was far more peppier than these two cars. But I think it would give around 12-13kmpl in b2b traffic. My uncle's i10 used for short city runs gives 12kmpl with AC. I found the Ritz returning better FE overall (~14 within the city but not b2b traffic).
Ah alright. Being new to this whole ordeal, I wasn't paying too much mind to the "clutch travel" parameter up until now. I'm guessing it plays a big role too.

Also, just to clarify, the Linea you're referring to is an MJD right ?

Actually, my absolute favourite car on Indian roads for the last decade has been the Punto (I haven't driven one yet). Every single time I see a Punto, I just stop and admire it. It still blows my mind. I like the original ones (later rebranded as the Pure ?) more than the Evo if I'm being honest.

My colleague has a Linea MJD (post height raise model I think, so probably second gen ?) and although I've never driven it I absolutely love that car in terms of exteriors, build quality, ride quality (from a front and rear passenger seat POV), ground clearance, fuel efficiency and my colleague even says its the best steering he's used on Indian roads. The reason I stopped looking at the Punto as an option was mostly the total lack of proper service options, tough to source original parts, high turning circle and the very inefficient petrol option.

Considering the chances of getting a well maintained Punto diesel for 1-1.25 L are not too low (I've seen a few regularly listed on OLX locally), do you think I should keep this car as an option ? I rejected even the Ritz diesel as an option, because I'm not sure the car I buy would see more than 40-50km of driving a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
In my opinion, Ritz is the better car any day, irrespective of whether you're looking for cheaper maintenance, better fuel economy, or a peppier engine. Perfect for someone who's learning how to drive. The only 'but' in this situation is, you may not find a good, well-maintained Ritz within 2 lakhs, whereas you'll find plenty of i10s. I was in the exact same situation as you 2 years ago, and instead of spending 2 lakhs on an i10, I ended up buying a 2004 Santro Xing for about 35% of the cost. I think the newest (2012-14) Santro Xings cost ~1.5 lakhs in the market today, and that's another car you can consider. If I were looking for an upgrade for myself within 2 lakhs today, the Ritz is probably the only car I'd consider.

Cheers.
Thanks for the reply, boniver. Based on my research I had concluded that the i10 had the better engine (more refined, peppier) and smoother gearbox. You're the first person I've seen who says the K12 is peppier than Kappa 1.2. Another revelation ! If anything, I gather this means the difference very very close to call.

I'm hoping I do find a good Ritz in the next 5-6 months at least. I don't mind waiting since 1.5-2 lacs is a huge expense for me. Cant really afford to get it wrong. I've also asked a few people I know in other cities (who know their cars pretty well) to keep a look out for either car. 70-80k for a car sounds amazing haha, especially if well maintained, thats so much money left over.
Old 25th October 2020, 11:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

The Ritz is anyday the more accomplished of the two options you have listed. Considering you complain about weakness in your left knee, why not look into getting a used A-Star automatic? Both are cheap and easy to maintain and will even offer up a little something in the way of driving pleasure
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 13:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

First ownership in a Tier 2 town. I would suggest, stick to a Maruti. Ritz is a great car in my view compared to i10.

Trust me, you will not regret buying a cheap Maruti in India, except safety related aspects.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 14:08   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Used Hyundai i10 vs Maruti Ritz for 2 lakh rupees?

When the budget is limited, I give a different kind of advice. Buy whichever model you find in the greatest shape, whether i10 or Ritz. As an example, if you find a clean car that has been well-maintained, drives well and fits in your budget, go for it, irrespective of the model. The i10 & Ritz were both good hatchbacks and you can't go wrong with either of them. Just buy the nicest example you can get your hands on. Start your search for both!
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 14:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainchutney View Post

Need help picking my first (used) petrol car. i10 vs Ritz . Budget 1-2 lacs. Mostly small town driving + hilly areas.

And finally, which year, variant should I be looking at in my budget ? And how many kms should it have run (assuming first owner only).
You can’t really go wrong with either one of them. Look at the examples you get to test drive. Get it verified for expected refurbishment costs(if any) from the company A.S.S or any trusted FNG before signing the dotted line

However since Ritz was not as popular as i10 , you might get a better deal with the Ritz. Its one of the better built marutis and feels solid IMO compared to i10 even. Parts won’t be an issue at all as you can easily source it from maruti or any FNG.

For variant please look for one with abs atleast. ABS+airbags would be best

Last edited by SoumenD : 25th October 2020 at 14:23.
SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 00:12   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyonites View Post
Definitely Ritz!!

It is a Maruti hence the cost of maintaining it would be a lot cheaper than the I10.
Its a mixed bag when it comes to comfort as it is the Ritz that offers a much better
driving position and the seats are much better too. But when it comes to driving,
The I10 has a much lighter clutch and smoother gearshifts (typical of a Hyundai).
I guess the Ritz would be a bit better
according to your needs so I would say that you get yourself a Ritz.

Hope this helps,
Thanks.
Thanks for your reply Tachyonites. When you say better driving position do you mean the seat quality and height adjust ?

And when you say "much lighter" how much lighter ? For reference, the only cars I've driven are a Gen 1 WagonR and a 2004 Zen Lxi.

Could you also comment on the clutch travel aspect between these two cars ? Another reply on this very thread said the Ritz clutch has the least travel as compared to 3-4 other cars in the segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The Ritz is anyday the more accomplished of the two options you have listed. Considering you complain about weakness in your left knee, why not look into getting a used A-Star automatic? Both are cheap and easy to maintain and will even offer up a little something in the way of driving pleasure
Thanks for your suggestion IshaanIan, I'm avoiding looking at Automatics due to the poor FE. I've started reading up on the A star manual transmission after someone suggested it as an option in my price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
First ownership in a Tier 2 town. I would suggest, stick to a Maruti. Ritz is a great car in my view compared to i10.

Trust me, you will not regret buying a cheap Maruti in India, except safety related aspects.
Thanks for your reply 2000rpm. I'd hate to overpay / hunt for parts but isn't i10 a very highly sold car (maybe even more than the Ritz)in India ? Assuming I can source the parts, wouldn't my FNG know their way around an i10 at least as well as the Ritz ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
When the budget is limited, I give a different kind of advice. Buy whichever model you find in the greatest shape, whether i10 or Ritz. As an example, if you find a clean car that has been well-maintained, drives well and fits in your budget, go for it, irrespective of the model. The i10 & Ritz were both good hatchbacks and you can't go wrong with either of them. Just buy the nicest example you can get your hands on. Start your search for both!
Hi GTO, thanks for your reply. I've gotten the exact same advice from a few people now and I understand the value in it. Absolutely makes sense to get good car in very good shape rather than a very good car in poor shape. I've been scanning local classifieds for both and have asked a few friends (in other cities) who know their cars, to keep a look out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
You can’t really go wrong with either one of them. Look at the examples you get to test drive. Get it verified for expected refurbishment costs(if any) from the company A.S.S or any trusted FNG before signing the dotted line

However since Ritz was not as popular as i10 , you might get a better deal with the Ritz. Its one of the better built marutis and feels solid IMO compared to i10 even. Parts won’t be an issue at all as you can easily source it from maruti or any FNG.

For variant please look for one with abs atleast. ABS+airbags would be best
Thanks for your reply SoumenD. Do you mean ask the seller to let me take the car to company A.S.S and get an ok / list of what needs to be changed ? Are most sellers ok with this kind of thing ?

Yes, I do see the value in getting a top variant as the price difference between bottom/mid and top variants won't be as huge as in new cars.
Old 26th October 2020, 01:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply SoumenD. Do you mean ask the seller to let me take the car to company A.S.S and get an ok / list of what needs to be changed ? Are most sellers ok with this kind of thing ?
Mostly yes and they can always tag along. If someone is adamant on not letting you do the check, there must be something fishy. Steer clear

Here’s a fresh example. Bhpian 123.Rishabh got the old gen Honda Jazz after getting it inspected.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...a-jazz-ge.html

Last edited by SoumenD : 26th October 2020 at 01:14.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 08:27   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Tachyonites. When you say better driving position do you mean the seat quality and height adjust ?

And when you say "much lighter" how much lighter ? For reference, the only cars I've driven are a Gen 1 WagonR and a 2004 Zen Lxi.

Could you also comment on the clutch travel aspect between these two cars ? Another reply on this very thread said the Ritz clutch has the least travel as compared to 3-4 other cars in the segment.
By better driving position I mean that it has better seat comfort and placement and a good driving position.
I owned an i10 and a Zen a few years ago and based on my observations it was the Zen that has a lighter clutch.
I had a friend who owned a Ritz and I drove it once and what I felt was that the clutch had a shorter travel but the
gearbox was a bit notchy if compared to the i10. The clutch progression was much smoother in the i10 even
though the travel was a bit longer. So its up to you and your likings whether you want a short clutch travel or a smoother clutch travel.

Cheers!
Old 26th October 2020, 09:24   #26
BHPian

I would recommend you to go for the Ritz as it has more space on offer than the i10, is reliable, and overall has a better build than the i10.
Old 26th October 2020, 09:26   #27
BHPian

We used to own a 2010 Ritz Vxi until last year with 85K on the odo and it was a brilliant car. Maintenance costs are minimal and even part changes are also not that expensive with respect to the cars price. Expect city fuel efficiency to be somewhere around 10-12kmpl. Steering is on the heavier side and I liked it.
Try hard to get a ZXI variant as it comes with safety features and has some extra features too.
Sahilrai166 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 09:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Ritz. Easy on maintenance, is better built (by Maruti's standards) and parts are easy to procure. I don't think an i10 would be easy on the pockets (given the current price) and Hyundai's maintenance is higher than Maruti.
Old 26th October 2020, 10:34   #29
BHPian

If you find a well maintained Ritz nothing better than that. however As GTO suggested above if you find a better maintained vehicle let it be i10 or Ritz you should go for it. Both the cars have their Pros and Cons but both are superhit models of 2010-14.

I owned a Ritz Ldi and believe me the car never gave me any trouble, you are looking for a petrol version so I would suggest go with VXI or above as Ritz basic (Ldi/Lxi) feels lacking in terms of accessories.

Road manners are excellent, mileage is best in class, maintenance is light on pocket and finally Maruti is great for its Service.

Happy Motoring

P.S: Try Maruti true value as well they give all sort of warranties on the used cars.

Last edited by ShivrajG : 26th October 2020 at 10:36.
Old 26th October 2020, 10:45   #30
BHPian

Between Ritz and i10, I would suggest to go for a used Ritz.
Ritz has better road presence, one of the better built Maruti and ride + handling is way better than i10.
We had i10 kappa with us (bought used). Though the engine is good, mileage isn't great. Spare parts are bit expensive compared to Ritz. The suspension components tends to give away sooner compared to other cars. Interiors definitely is better built than Ritz.
One of my uncle bought a used Ritz at the same time. He is still using it regularly while we had to sell our i10 long time back due to recurrent issues cropping up.

I would suggest you to look for used Etios Liva as well. You will be surprised by the space on offer along with the ride stability on highways. Though engine noise is bit bothersome. It is not the car that you will love at first sight but it will win over your heart gradually. If maintained well, Toyota will outlast your Zen as well. At your budget, you will get a newer model compared to Ritz or i10 as Liva's resale value isn't great.

All the best for your search.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks