Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 27th October 2020, 10:18   #46
BANNED

Default Re: Used Hyundai i10 vs Maruti Ritz for 2 lakh rupees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainchutney View Post
Hello TeamBHP,...Need help picking my first (used) petrol car. i10 vs Ritz...
Hello brainchutney sir (nice forum handle by the way),

Going by the straw poll in this thread alone, I think that the Ritz wins hands down.

Incidentally, when it was discontinued, I thought that it was because the car was unpopular. Of course this thread is anecdotal, and of course, it isnít a scientifically chosen sample. But WOW!! Was Maruti wrong or what!! Look at the outpouring of love for the Ritz on this thread. And most people seem to be talking about the petrol one too. So much for India being obsessed with just small diesel motors!!

If I move somewhere with an extra parking space, and if Maruti brings back the Ritz with the same build quality and with a bigger engine (like maybe a 1.5 liter petrol), then I am all over that car like a cheap suit.

Hope you find your ride soon.

Cheers
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 11:27   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Comfort, mileage and low service / maintenance costs are a priority.
Which of these cars is easier to drive ? (Steering, gear shifting, visibility, blind spots, rear visibility, suspensions etc)
Which clutch is easier on the left foot ? From what I read the i10 clutch (and other pedals too) is really light / smooth. If its rated an 8/10 would the ritz be a 5 ? a 6 ? I have a slight issue in my left knee and want the lightest clutch possible (can't afford an AMT and avoiding Alto etc.)
What about the mileage I should expect from these cars. (bumper - bumper traffic, easy city drives, highway driving). Is 15 kmpl unrealistic ?
Service / Maintenance charges + parts availability: Are they comparable for these cars ?
And finally, which year, variant should I be looking at in my budget ? And how many kms should it have run (assuming first owner only).

While I along-with fellow Ritz owners/lovers gave an overwhelming response in favor of Ritz, I went through your original post again and felt that I need to give a more objective feedback. Therefore a second post.

Following are my recommendations against each of your requirements.

As First Car : Either.
i10 for ease of driving. Ritz for peace of mind and better reliablity.

Budget 1-2 Lacs : Either.
You will be able to find a comparable Ritz at cheaper price. (i10 holds its resale value better)

For a New Driver : i10.
Ritz has its fair share of blind spots. Anyone whose height is less than 5 Ft. 6 in., I10 will be better suited.

Back Issues - Ritz.
While both cars offer an excellent seating posture, Ritz seat base is longer & wider. Adequate thigh support is equally important as is the posture to address back issues

Comfort, mileage and low service / maintenance costs : Ritz!

Which of these cars is easier to drive ? (Steering, gear shifting, visibility, blind spots, rear visibility, suspensions etc):

Steering : i10
Gear Shift : Ritz
Visiblity, Blind Spots , Rear Visiblity : i10
Suspension : i10

Which clutch is easier on the left foot: Good question.

To be honest, both cars are imperfect in this aspect. No, neither of the clutch is too hard. For short duration A to B drives within city, neither will bother you. However, I felt the i10 clutch has an unnecessarily long travel which gets irritating due to its unpredictable nature at parking speeds or in bumper to bumer traffic. On the other hand, the Ritz's clutch is extremely smooth and precise BUT the pedal angle is absolutely horrid. In prolonged city / bumper to bumper driving, you have to keep your ankle either bent most of the time or the whole left leg floating to avoid ankle aches (no foot rest provided - no space either). My driving is predominantly in Mumbai during rush hours which involves being stuck in Traffic jams and Toll lines.

What about the mileage I should expect from these cars:

For city running:
i10 - 9-10
Ritz - 11-12

For Highway runs:
i10 - 14 (if you are lucky).
Ritz - 14-16 depending on your driving style. Best I could manage ever was 17.5 but it was an odd occurence.

Service / Maintenance charges + parts availability: Ritz will be cheaper. You can get cheap Maruti Genuine Spares very easily. i10 spares can get costlier and relatively difficult to source. It shares very few parts with current generation of Hyundai cars while you can spot common parts from a 2009 Ritz on 2020 Ciaz, S-Cross, Ignis easily.

Which year, variant should I be looking at in my budget ?

For Ritz, you can get a 2009-10 ZXi or 2010-11 VXi variant under 2 Lacs.
For i10, you should be able to 2009 Sportz or 2010-11 Era/Magna variant under 2 Lacs. (Resist the temptation of going for an older Sportz(O) variant which came with a Sunroof.)

- Look for single-owner vehicles who preferably had Ritz/i10 as a second vehicle in their house hold. You will be amazed to know how many such examples exist.
- Strictly Avoid Dealers
- Since you will be looking for cars which are essentially 8-10 years old, look for examples that have run atleast 50,000 Kilometers. An extremely low run car will warrant unexpected repairs.

All the best for your search.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th October 2020 at 18:53. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
R_Gowardhan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 13:15   #48
BHPian

Quote:
[*]visibility issues due to the thick B and C pillars (since I'm quite new to driving, I'm a bit scared of the blind spot issues . How long do you think it'll take to get accustomed to this ?)[*]and the relative clutch hardness (as compared to the i10). How big is the difference in the clutch hardness of the two cars in new stock condition ?[/list][*]Does the lack of visibility in a Ritz make it an absolute nightmare to reverse ?
The visibility is ok and not that bad. Actually the drive position is really good overall. Seating stance of Ritz is so much better as compared to what is offered in other hatchbacks. Just a matter of getting used to on reversing and visibility around the pillars.

The clutch is definitely on the harder side and that's the only thing I wish was better on the Ritz. For some people this clutch may be a deal breaker so please test drive once before you decide.
viscosity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 17:38   #49
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I owned and drove the first gen Ritz (diesel) for good 9 years or so and I am sure its a better overall package than i10. A colleague who had a petrol Ritz and an i10 did repeatedly claim the fuel efficiency on the Ritz being better.

Considering you are driving around in a small hilly town, in my view, the Ritz's suspension and handling will be a bonus compared to i10. Ritz is a well built good handling Maruti.

If you have any emotion attached with driving, like most of us here, Ritz will give you a better feel of a solid big car in front seats, while i10 will feel a bit more nimble and flexible, but completely on you what you want.

Since it is hills, see if you can get a car with ABS, will serve you better.
SLK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 19:25   #50
BHPian

Ritz would tick all the right boxes for you, AFIK it's a fill it shut it forget it kinda car. Chic European tall boy design, pretty well built for a Maruti, easy on maintenance and spares availability. You should be able to find a decent piece in your budget. Happy hunting!
Shanky_1002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 21:33   #51

Having been a Ritz owner for 6years (2010 thru 2016) it fills your need perfectly. I had next to none issues with my car. regular servicing is all that is needed. Thanks to Taxi fleet spares shouldn't be an issue for a long time. Ingress/Egress is much better. I guess I don't need to say anything on the engine it is one of the best for it's time in it's class.

Unlike other Suzuki's the build is actually better. There were variants with Optional ABS too, try to see if you can get such one. For Hyderabad climate, the AC was Satisfactory. and the seats were definitely comfortable to me.
Plymouth_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 03:32   #52
BHPian

My suggestion to you would be Ritz. I have owned a Ritz (VDi) from 2011-2018 and driven extensively when I was in Kolkata and after I relocated to Gurgaon (and used it in NCR) and for the last year it was used by my father in Bhubaneswar. When I sold, it had done about 1.2 Lakh Kms and was still going strong. My father who was driving the first generation Swift VDi and loved it for the engine and driving dynamics, also thoroughly enjoyed the Ritz for the 1 year that he used it before it was sold. Since at a given point in time he used both cars interchangeably, compared to the Swift he felt Ritz had better front seat comfort (Swift gave him back problems) for long drives, better ingress/ egress and tall boy look. My wife also loved the Ritz for her office commute and found it very convenient to drive around in the city. Though it was one of the less popular cars of the Maruti fleet, but according to me one of their best. It felt strongly built, reliable, unique design and for me it was an absolute trouble free ownership with regular servicing from authorized service centers (my stock Bridgestone tyres lasted for 83,000 Kms). I also loved the tachometer on top of the dashboard. I have done some of my longest drives in it. It was one of the best cars of its time (also won the car of the year award) and it is a pity that it was discontinued. One of my relatives owned the Ritz VXi and he also had only great things to say about it.
jbpanda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 14:50   #53
BANNED

I don't have much to add, but having driven a Ritz 2012 Petrol frequently in family, i can say its one well built and taut Maruti !

Coming from someone who owns a well built TATA Tigor, i would rate the solidness and built quality of Ritz at par. The doors have a heavy feel to it, the parts including plastics seem to be of good quality, and there are hardly any rattles unlike other Marutis.

The low end torque of the petrol engine is fantastic. Even with a heavy weight, the car pulls cleanly and quickly in lower gears.

And another important point. The front seats of the Ritz are just fantastic. I have yet to come across any car this side of 10 lacs having that good underthigh support and side bolstering. Perfect for someone with long legs.

Last edited by DCEite : 28th October 2020 at 14:54.
DCEite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 12:45   #54
BHPian

Since you're anyway going to be buying 10 year old cars in that budget, you might as well look at better cars that are depreciation disasters like the Fiat Punto/Linea or the Ford Figo/Fiesta. They'll be much better to drive and more well-built. Just make sure they are in a great condition. By the time they ask for expensive work, your salary would have gone up as well. But only if you have the risk apetite.

Otherwise i10 and Ritz are great beginner cars. Like others mentioned, buy the one that is in better shape. With a preference for Ritz if they are in similar conditions. It's a better car and lower maintenance costs after 10 years.

Back in 2011, my dad was looking to buy a hatch in the 4-5 lakh range. I asked him to test drive only 3 cars: i10, Ritz and Figo.
The i10 wasn't fun to drive and the wheels were too small. So was the car.
The Ritz was spacious and good to drive.
The Figo was the best to drive of the three.
It was going to be our first car and Ford spares were high back then (not now). So even though the heart said the Figo, we listened to our head and bought the Ritz.

9 years and and 90k km later, it still drives like a rocket, no rattles at all (which is unbelievable for a Maruti) and is still on its original suspension. Nothing major ever needed replacement.
evil_grin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 19:18   #55
BHPian

I am also in lookout for a pre-owned ritz. My budget is around 3 Lacs. I am getting both petrol and diesel variants in that price range. Members please let me know what is the max odo that i can keep as a limit while considering Ritz? Also please let me know what kind of works I must be prepared to carry out while buying a used Ritz (say 50 to 70k run car).

Most Viewed