Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2007, 15:26   #1
BHPian

How about Reva

My spouse wanted to migrate from her M800 to a new car and she is considering Reva [ for no clutch - gear change and easy to park.]

Would like to take comments from fellow BHP'ians on its
1. Maintenance
2. After sales support
3. Resale value
Old 4th April 2007, 15:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

You will get better answers in a Europe based car forum. Thats where it sells the most.
I dont think any members here own a Reva. Though i have seen quite a few in Banglaore when i was there. Maybe fellow Bangalore members can help you.
Old 4th April 2007, 15:46   #3
BHPian

If Car remains/Driven in Bangalore, Its definetly a better bet.
Maintenance & After Sale support is not at all a problem in Bangalore.

Resale value depends upon how much time/Kms you use it. It may not be as good as Maruti Alto and 800 and Once Tata's 1 lac car is launched, I suspect if you can get a good price for it.
Old 4th April 2007, 15:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have seen many revas roaming around in chandigarh and have talked to many owners and they said that they love to drive it in city because of it small size and they cost of ownership is low but they find *** could be better

resale value well the less said the better

Find a ZEN ax or you could consider a santro automatic they both are good car
Old 4th April 2007, 16:03   #5
Team-BHP Support

For city commuting in Bangalore, i think the Reva is an apt vehicle. One can literally throw/park it anywhere, and it has enough space to carry some basic luggage from shopping. I am not really sure about the maintenance aspects though.

What one should get used to is the unusual stares from passerbys and also jostling for space with the ricks and traffic.
Old 4th April 2007, 16:28   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite View Post
I dont think any members here own a Reva. Though i have seen quite a few in Banglaore when i was there. Maybe fellow Bangalore members can help you.
Incorrect. Here is a member who owns the Reva : Linky. He is also going to be posting an ownership review soon.

And here is a comparo between the 800 and Reva.
Old 4th April 2007, 16:48   #7
BHPian

We had Reva as a client when I was working in Bangalore. Its a nice car , very eco- friendly , perfect for your wife but the thing has a going concern issue , In other words the company may close down any point of time . It is surviving on account of revenue from export sales to Europe.So parts maybe a problem.No other problem as such with the car atleast none that i have heard of !! :-)
Old 4th April 2007, 16:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Just ensure that you have a power socket available in your house/apartment parking space to charge the batteries .

I dunno what is the solution for people living on, say, 10th floor of an apartment complex? I mean, they would have to lay a power cable from their apartment or from the meter to the parking spot (if they have reserved parking!!)
Old 4th April 2007, 17:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikunj_cal View Post
In other words the company may close down any point of time . It is surviving on account of revenue from export sales to Europe.
Considering they were recently in the news for a fresh investment of USD 20 million, I don't think that's too much of a concern. The Reva is now the largest selling electric car in the world. Agreed, the competition is not much, but that's still an achievement.
Old 4th April 2007, 18:13   #10
BHPian

In thiruvananthapuram the postal dept has got 3 revas which started their service before a week. I think this is step taken by the company to build image before launching it in kerala. Some kerala minister said there must be charging pionts for the vehicle across the highways. If the plan is successful in tvpm it will be implemented in other cities as well.
Old 5th April 2007, 08:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikunj_cal View Post
In other words the company may close down any point of time . It is surviving on account of revenue from export sales to Europe.So parts maybe a problem.
If that is true, then it is a worrying factor, especially after spending ~3L, one want to keep for atleast five years. BTW thanks for all responses so far, have not got any info on maintainance part though.

Last edited by chanapli : 5th April 2007 at 08:21.
Old 5th April 2007, 08:42   #12
BHPian

The biggest expense may be the replacement of the batteries after 3 years or so.
You need to take that into account for your total cost of ownership.

The mechanicals are less complicated, since it is propelled by an electric motor.
Old 5th April 2007, 11:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Khanna LML in Ahmedabad had the Reva dealership. Havent seen more than a total of 2 cars in all these years. Even Khanna has given up on the dealership. NO more reva's for Ahmedabad.
Old 5th April 2007, 12:02   #14
BHPian

I had got a red Reva in Pune (Pune's very first) in 2001. I had it for about a month or so and sold it to friend in Mumbai. ( my driver drove it via the exp way....the battery got drained in Lonavala and then he had to spend the night requesting hoteliers to allow him to charge the car....he still swears by it)

The car is absolutely pleasure to drive with no-noise, no-pollution. The model then did'nt had air blower so in summer it was like a oven on the electric motor.

The car travels around 65-70 km per charge and the full charge needs around 4-6 hours. Charging is problematic since you need a 15amp connection near your parking. I had taken a connection directly from my electric meter in the apartment and a long extension cable.

There are 8 batteries below the floor and normal Battery life is around 3 years. the motor is high-speed energy-efficient one...you just hear the whine and thats all.

ideal car for wives that cud be used for shopping, dropping kids to the school, etc etc.
Old 11th April 2007, 12:23   #15
BHPian

Does anybody knows those batteries used in Reva costs?. >10K for 8?.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks