Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2007, 16:08   #1
BHPian

Should I go for Palio stile 1.6?

Earlier, I had givenup on Palio 1.6 as they had only Yello & red colours. Now 1.6 is available in white/blue/green/grey also. I was also looking at Santro,Zen/WagonR but now have decided on Palio stile 1.6/Getz GLS(1.3L) or Swift ZXi. My budget is 5.8L. I am now thinking of Palio 1.6 as the price is really great!! It is 4.98L on road in Mumbai!(With alloys!). With that pricing I can save almost 80K. Palio owners pl tell me:

1) FE expextation in Mumbai.

2) Experience of service with Tata/Fiat dealership.

3) Recomend a Tata/Fiat dealer

4) Performance of AC in summer(This is imp for me)

Last edited by cartech : 5th April 2007 at 16:09.
Old 5th April 2007, 16:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

I dont know, but i have heard that the new Palio 1.6 is not as fun to drive as the older (pre-nv) Palio GTX. The new engine was tweaked to give more FE and hence performance was compromised.
I got this information from a thread in Team-Bhp reviews section.
So please keep that in mind before making up your mind.
Old 5th April 2007, 16:40   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartech View Post

I think its too early to comment on them.
Old 5th April 2007, 17:40   #4
BHPian

I think with alloys you are also getting tubeless with all palios style now.

AC is really good without affecting the power of 1.6 engine.
Old 5th April 2007, 17:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite View Post
I dont know, but i have heard that the new Palio 1.6 is not as fun to drive as the older (pre-nv) Palio GTX. The new engine was tweaked to give more FE and hence performance was compromised.
I got this information from a thread in Team-Bhp reviews section.
So please keep that in mind before making up your mind.
Even if the the engine was tweaked a 1.6 with 100bhp is still a performer and now its 20kg lighter so it will be more fun
Old 5th April 2007, 18:21   #6
Team-BHP Support

If you ask me, "Go for it"!! Save that 80k and add some good ICE equipment in your car and go for fatter rubber. Check in advance for delivery schedules. Ensure that you make them run around before they have you as a customer who buys the car. If they are negligent then choose to settle for some other car. I dont think it is underpowered but yes there is a slight loss of initial torque but I dont think you can be observant enough to notice a loss of 2-3 bhp's atleast I couldn't until I drove a GTX for a few 100 kms. The acceleration remains good and it can still burn some rubber and give you an adrenaline rush. Other choices I would keep for 5.8L is OHC VTEC + lots of mods .

Try Shaman auto.
Old 5th April 2007, 18:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
If you ask me, "Go for it"!! Save that 80k and add some good ICE equipment in your car and go for fatter rubber. Check in advance for delivery schedules. Ensure that you make them run around before they have you as a customer who buys the car. If they are negligent then choose to settle for some other car. I dont think it is underpowered but yes there is a slight loss of initial torque but I dont think you can be observant enough to notice a loss of 2-3 bhp's atleast I couldn't until I drove a GTX for a few 100 kms. The acceleration remains good and it can still burn some rubber and give you an adrenaline rush. Other choices I would keep for 5.8L is OHC VTEC + lots of mods .

Try Shaman auto.
---------------------------

Go for it ...

If Fiat - tata live upto the reputation they are trying to make by making such a huge invetsment in this JV then i think you should not have any service / dealer issues.

Trust me you will never regret instead will always appreciate the fact that
u took right decision.
Fiat palio 1.6 stile is a mini Octavia petrol and in a mini budget too.

Cheers ....
Old 5th April 2007, 19:02   #8
BHPian

Go for it man. i know the post nv 1.6 is not as fun as the GTX but it still is the maximum value for money in its class....Being a Happy Palio owner myself I would recommend you to go ahead and buy it and as moralfibre said spend the rest of the money on some really good ICE and upsized tyres.
Old 5th April 2007, 19:02   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Go for it. You shouldnt concern yourself with statistics that wont impact your daily driving - like the loss of 2-3 BHP power. As someone mentioned the new car's also lighter - the net result would still be a fun to drive hot hatch.

The only thing you should get clarified is the effectiveness of the TATA-Fiat service network.
Old 5th April 2007, 21:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Go for it. You shouldnt concern yourself with statistics that wont impact your daily driving - like the loss of 2-3 BHP power.
What loss of 2-3 BHP power are we talking of? It's still generates the same power as it used to earlier. There are NO changes in peak BHP and Torque figures. If at all, there may be tweaks in torque distribution or change in gearing to extract more FE, but no change in peak figures.
Old 5th April 2007, 21:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartech View Post

Lovely choice there. Just visited Shaman Auto to check out the new Palio 1.1. The car looks much better than it does in pictures. I was not very fond of the rear styling on the new Palio, but in reality, it looks very good and contemporary.

There was this palio 1.1 SLX (top variant) in the gorgeous new ' cobalt blue' colour, with 1.6 Sport alloys fitted on it.So thats what the new 1.6 Sport will look like.The alloys are not new in terms of design, the same old 'alfa romeo' look telephone ring alloys.The 1.1 does not come with alloys as standard on any of its variants. So have a look at Shaman Auto, Prabhadevi.

Regarding you questions -

1) FE in mumbai city - 8-10 kmpl with a/c depending on where and how you drive, and 16-18 kmpl on highways.

2) My experience with Shaman auto has been pretty good most of the times and I have been their regular customer since the past 4 years.

3) Same as above. Its better to buy and service your car from someone who has been working on Fiats since a long time.

4) The a/c is good, but its not really that good in extremely hot conditions. Maruti Swift has a better one IMO. But there is no performance drop with a/c on

All in all, once you drive the 1.6, even with the slight drop in power, you will never want to drive any other car again.
Old 5th April 2007, 22:12   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
What loss of 2-3 BHP power are we talking of? It's still generates the same power as it used to earlier. There are NO changes in peak BHP and Torque figures. If at all, there may be tweaks in torque distribution or change in gearing to extract more FE, but no change in peak figures.
The Palio 1.6 Sport develops 100 PS @ 5500 bhp. So if the power rating is in PS, the BHP rating would be approx 98.

Now if I remember correctly, the older 1.6 engines fitted in the old-look Sienas were 1580 CC and they pumped out 98 horses. Then the power was bumped up to 100 BHP with the new 1596 CC engine and a new 32 bit engine management system.And these were plonked in the Palios/New Siena.I am pretty sure about this.But anyways, I will check my S10 manual for this.

Whatever it is, there is surely a slight drop in the initial pick up with the new engines.

Last edited by roms : 5th April 2007 at 22:16.
Old 5th April 2007, 22:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

New Palio looks good better than old version interiors are better now. I didn't do any test drive, I am sure 1.6 is good performer.

Go for it, Pricing is very good and its spacious car too.

Ravi.
Old 5th April 2007, 23:11   #14
BANNED

Dude,
Close your eyes and go for Palio 1.6 Stile...It is worth every penny at 5 lpa.

I have a Swift Petrol Lxi (bought for 4.37 lakh and then fitted extas worth 15k)....

I will tell you why Palio is better than Swift:

I) Mileage: Equal to or better than Swift. Swift gives max 11 in Bangalore city (I am getting 9 with AC). Palio will give atleast 11 with AC
II) Swift is 1300 cc engine while Palio 1.6 is 1600 cc engine
III) Swift is old Esteem engine while Palio is based on FIRE technology and is better
IV) Build quality of Palio is better than in Swift

Swift Zxi is fully loaded version of Swift Lxi with airbags, ABS and likes.....
I suggest you go for Palio....Maruti *** is all hype....they are yet to do the sunfilm they promised to do while buying.....Maruti salesmen care a **** for you after they make the sale....

Decide if you want hype or substance. FOr substance go for Palio...
For hype go for Swift and end up paying Maruti's marketing costs...
Your choice.
Old 5th April 2007, 23:45   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Save that 80k and ...
The 80K difference would be between the low-end 1.1 SL, vs the top-of-the-line 1.6. There are two more trim levels above the 1.1, which means the difference will not be that much.

Fiat India : Showroom - Palio Stile Price
Fiat India : Showroom - Palio Stile Features

Last edited by condor : 5th April 2007 at 23:47.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks