Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2020, 17:32   #16
BHPian

Re: Datsun Go CVT vs Maruti S-Presso AMT

If anyone is concerned about Tata's ASS, I can attest that their fears are well placed. However, what I can also attest to is that though the dealer sales and service people are pure POS, Tata has had my back so far. When the dealer promised genuine accessories during booking but informed me that I'd only get 3rd party accessories during delivery, a mail to Tata was all it took for them to change their minds.

Having owned a Tiago XZA+ for the last 6 months, I can tell you that it's pretty okay for an AMT and your everyday passengers won't even notice the gear shifts when driven sedately. Have driven 8200KM in the last 6 months, with five 400KM+ drives and it has been a comfortable journey. Please do keep it as a candidate and not ignore it purely because of the ASS.
SuhairZain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 18:12   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not a pre-owned Polo GT TSI? It's a terrific car and you get some nice samples at 8 lakh budget.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 18:25   #18
BHPian

I may go against the tide over here and suggest you a well maintained used Yaris CVT.

These cars will be relatively less driven and with backup of Toyota build quality and reliability, one can blindly go for the car. The ride and handling will be unmatched compared to the hatchbacks that you are looking for.

As the car isn't successful enough, you might get a good deal in 8 lakhs.
DrCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 19:26   #19
BHPian

Given that you dont like the characteristics of an AMT gearbox then I would suggest you the Amaze S CVT or the Baleno Delta CVT or else you can also wait for the Nissan Magnite XL CVT if you are comfortable extending your budget from 8 to 9-9.8lac.

Last edited by Sahilrai166 : 14th November 2020 at 19:28.
Sahilrai166 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 21:49   #20
BHPian

Already many people have suggested Tiago AMT. I completely agree. I think it’s safety outweighs all other drawbacks.
My post may not add more value, but in case you are counting the number of people in favour of Tiago, then +1.
Old 14th November 2020, 21:54   #21
BHPian

Tiago XZA AMT eyes closed.

After using an Alto K10 amt for 2 years, my wife was fed up of the constant rattles and the tin can feeling. We decided we wanted something safer, considering we had to sell of our other car and my wife's car became the primary use car and we had some highway trips that were happening once in a while.

Only SAFE choice at our budget of 7L was the Tiago XZA. We test drove the SPresso and the Santro AMT just for the sake of it. SPresso didnt feel much different from the Alto. Typical MS build quality. Santro was good, but the SA experience was a let down. Also it wasnt exactly a safe car (though you would be fooled by its build). So the baby TATA it was.

8 months and 2 services later, we are extremely happy with the choice. The car is built well, drives well and more importantly its certified SAFE. Service too has been good. Had a small issue with the HU and it was promptly replaced under warranty.

My wife is extremely happy and as a corollary, I too am a happy man.

Last edited by racer_ash : 14th November 2020 at 22:02. Reason: Added more info
racer_ash is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 22:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

While I've heard no negative review about the Datsun Go, the two owners are not satisfied with the Nissan ASS. I'm sure it'll be the same with Magnite. I'd recommend finding a used Brio - that car is tiny, has great visibility, and it's automatic transmission puts many of today's cars to shame.

Expect 10 kmpl or single digit urban fuel economy depending on the city. And maybe a pretty annoyed wife as you may take her Brio (instead of your BMW) for your in-city drives because it is just so nimble & chuckable.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 14th November 2020 at 22:30.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 02:14   #23
BHPian

Tiago seems to be a popular recommendation here and its a great option. If you not able to make up your mind for TATA then Swift Vxi AMT or Grand i10 Nios AMT are good options too. Both of them have liveable AMT that is smoother than the lot.
Old 15th November 2020, 02:54   #24
BHPian

Sticking strictly to your original choices, I would pick the Spresso, I myself own the top variant in its manual guise but have test driven the AMT a few times, its a bang for the buck and a real pocket rocket, and yes the high seating position helps a lot.
Old 15th November 2020, 08:26   #25
BHPian

Since your budget is 8 lakhs on-road, best option would be to go for Tigor XZA+ at 8.3 lakhs on-road, but since size and ease of driving is a concern my bet would be on Tiago XZA+ at 7.4 lakhs on-road.

Choosing a Nissan/Datsun product now wont be a wise decision looking at their present sales figures and market share. Seems like the Magnite is their last bet on India. If it succeeds then Nissan is going to stay or else they might pack their bags.

Regarding Spresso, it won't be safe to keep your beloved wife in a Zero star rated tincan.

Regards,
DevOnWheels
Old 15th November 2020, 10:03   #26
HrB
BHPian

It's high time we, the Indian consumers, must let auto manufacturers like Maruti, Hyundai/Kia (2 or 3 stars not enough) know that we want safer cars. If Tata and Mahindra can do it, others should be able to do it too. This is the time when we must stop buying cars like S Presso, Datsun Go etc. Since your budget permits, go for safer cars. It's your wife who'd be driving it after all.
HrB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 10:51   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
Dear all,
This is for the 2nd car and the primary user is my wife. She wants a simple, easy to operate, small, automatic car. Her main demand is 'ease of drive' and all-round visibility. Budget is 8 Lakhs max.

(i drive a Beemer, so expectations are unreal!).
You plan to keep the car for 10 years, and drive a Beemer. So my question to you would be is ₹ 8 lakhs a hard constraint (or is it something you have set mentally, and can change). Agree fully that buying a small, easy to use, automatic makes sense. Also agree that AMTs are not really automatics - I am willing to bet that your wife will be irritated by the not so smooth shifting nature and will want to upgrade sooner or later. And I also feel that safety is extremely important if you are buying a vehicle.

Under the circumstances, buying a zero star rated Spresso makes no sense whatsoever. I believe that a 4 star rating is the minimum you should consider - given that the XUV 300 and the Tata vehicles come only with AMTs, the consideration set boils down to a choice between a Polo DSG and a Vistara Brezza. Agree both of these are materially costlier than ₹ 8 lakhs but I think you should consider upgrading your budget, especially given how long you plan to hold this car. If you can’t upgrade the budget for some reason, I would pick the Tiago

Last edited by Hayek : 15th November 2020 at 10:53.
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 15:57   #28
BHPian

Datsun Go is a very capable car, I have two of my friends with the car owning since 2014 (manual) and both of them are happy with the car. But in this scenario I would suggest to wait & check out the Nissan Magnite CVT. It is a far better car and Nissan is showing some good commitment finally.

I will not suggest the S-presso to anyone, anymore. DOT.

Other car that I would recommend is the Tiago XZA, an ultimate value for money car with enough bells and whistles. They have sold lakhs of those already and reliability should no more be a concern. And regarding the A.S.S I believe TATA will anyday be better than the Nissan-Datsun duo which you are considering. Get a Yellow Tiago for your Wife!!

Last edited by kamilharis : 15th November 2020 at 15:58.
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 17:29   #29
BHPian

Hi,

Pls consider a safe car for your wife. Such as Tiago, Figo or Polo Highline AT (if you can stretch your budget)

Last edited by rageshgr : 15th November 2020 at 17:32.
Old 16th November 2020, 22:28   #30
BHPian

AMT gear shifts are not smooth-I had test driven all AMT and got a Baleno Delta CVT 2.5 yrs back,I would recommend you and your wife to test ride all CVT's in your budget and then decide further as new CVT's in 2020 may be better than Baleno CVT

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks