Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2016, 01:00   #346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are looking at per day usage of 55-60km with extra distances over the weekend, I am sure you should be looking at a more comfortable drive along with mileage. I understand you were not inclined towards the Celerio. How about WagonR AGS?

For such extended usages, you would also need good service support. Maruti excels in there.
Yes ampere, we are looking at a daily usage of 55-60kms on working days and some 500+kms per month average during weekends. So we have decided that whenever there is a chance of me driving, we use the figo and other wise wife takes the nano.
We are not much inclined towards the MS brand and looks. The only 2 cars which my wife likes in the MS stable are the baleno and ciaz. Both dont have Diesel AT. And I think the baleno is overpriced for what it offers. Personally if I'm forced to buy only MS brand and have the budget, I would go for the SCross or the Ciaz SHVS.
The WagonR is a really practical car but we don't feel the need for owning a second car which is almost as big as the figo but cannot replace the Figo completely. And about the service part, I really don't believe in the myth of MS service. My Figo has had lesser bills than my friend's swift for each and every periodic service.
The Cost of ownership of my Figo is a lot less and though the figo might sell a lac lesser than a similarly aged swift, the Figo's cost was a lac less than swift variant to variant.

Also Hearing from various sources recently that Tata has improved significantly in A.S.S .
Ford A.S.S is barely a km from my home and Tata A.S.S is 3km before my wife's office. Which is where we will be heading for all the periodic services. I think its finally our time to show trust in the Tata brand. (I'm always finding excuses to avoid the Maruti brand😁&#128513

Last edited by swami.n : 21st November 2016 at 01:05.
Old 21st November 2016, 01:41   #347
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
And about the service part, I really don't believe in the myth of MS service. My Figo has had lesser bills than my friend's swift for each and every periodic service.
I never meant about the cost of ownership of a Maruti. Yes its a myth. What I meant was the readiness of available service. (And yes Maruti has that amazingly well covered).

As regards to yes or no of a second car, that is entirely based on what you deem right for your requirements.

Yes I would never let the Figo go. Its an awesome car for daily use and long drives. I was just trying to see if an AT beater car can be added as a second car. From that point of view the practicality of second car being AT really helps. It also builds up over time. (It may not be a WagonR, but do think through of the long usage front. From that point of view I would suggest some thing bigger than a Nano).

Last edited by ampere : 21st November 2016 at 07:49. Reason: Fixed typo
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 15:41   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I would never let the Figo go. Its an awesome car for daily use and long drives. I was just trying to see if an AT beater car can be added as a second car. From that point of view the practicality of second car being AT really helps. It also builds up over time. (It may not be a WagonR, but do think through of the long usage front. From that point of view I would suggest some thing bigger than a Nano).
Thanks for your suggestion ampere & all others who took time to give feedback for my query. Much appreciated.

We have finally decided to take the plunge on the Nano AMT after coming to an agreement that the nano will be the car that will be with us for a long time to help in the day to day traffic commutes & other household activities. Main reason being the easiest car to drive and park in the dense traffic areas & providing best in class head & legroom for 4 passengers(compared to all entry level cars). Pretty decent Music player with BT & a terrific AC, all without making too big a hole in the pocket. The openable boot which accommodates a couple of backpacks is the icing on the cake which makes the nano all the more practical as a second car. It is never going to be driven for longer distances apart from the couple of times which I may want to take the nano just for the heck of it.

In few years down the line, the Figo will be upgraded to a Sedan or an MPV based on the needs of the family at that time. Till that the Figo will be with us.

Thanks to all once again. I will post updates on the Nano in the coming days. I'm looking at couple preowned options just to have an idea. If I'm not able to find a very good option in the coming few days, will go for a new one. The OTR is 3.79lacs in Chennai, including the 3 year service pack which guarantees 3 years of free maintenance. But a new AT nano takes close to a month to be delivered here in chennai.

Last edited by swami.n : 23rd November 2016 at 15:53.
swami.n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 20:41   #349
BHPian

Quote:
We have finally decided to take the plunge on the Nano AMT after coming to an agreement that the nano will be the car that will be with us for a long time to help in the day to day traffic commutes & other household activities.
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are and have finally decided on the Nano AMT. The car will be used by dad, he's 65 and I think a Nano for running around within the city limits would suit him best. Also, he doesn't have any prior driving experience but I'm confident it wouldn't take him long to get used to the Nano, AMT would offer additional comfort. He does have a license though. Haven't done the booking yet, will check for better offers in December .
The Nano is about 3.65 OTR here and Datsun is offering a Redigo for a marginally higher price for their mid-variant, just a faint thought if I should consider it. Thoughts?
Old 29th November 2016, 00:26   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWikram View Post
The Nano is about 3.65 OTR here and Datsun is offering a Redigo for a marginally higher price for their mid-variant, just a faint thought if I should consider it. Thoughts?
Actually if you are sure you would not be needing a bigger boot than the nano, it ticks all the other boxes expected from an entry level small car which is going going to be a second car. Nano AMT is actually the easiest thing to drive and park in cramped places. It has terrific AC, a very nice music system with BT, front power windows, remote locking. Its low on power which makes no difference in our usual traffic where it is going to be driven mostly. If your dad is going to use it predominantly for household work this is the best choice. If the driving is going to involve frequent use on the highways, do consider a more powerful option.
Old 29th November 2016, 08:20   #351
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If the driving is going to involve frequent use on the highways, do consider a more powerful option.
Not just that. Even if driving in city will involve more people, a bigger car would be preferable. But otherwise for solo usage its a very good option.
Old 29th November 2016, 15:01   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Not just that. Even if driving in city will involve more people, a bigger car would be preferable. But otherwise for solo usage its a very good option.
Actually out of all the entry level budget cars available, I would say that the nano has the best head & leg room for 4 passengers & more than sufficient to carry an occasional 5th member. The nano is really a well put together car from the inside. Its dimensions from the outside kind of deceive us in thinking it would be a small cramped space inside.

By the way, we have almost finalized on a Preowned Nano XTA Pearl White. A recently acquainted friend had bought it some 7 months back for city use & in the hope his wife would learn to drive. But unexpectedly, he is now about to travel abroad for the next few years. the car has just run 2600+kms and is well taken care of(him being an avid automobile lover). The car is upgraded with OE black alloys with 165 section Yokohama tyres for all 4 wheels. He has also done the 3M underbody coat and Scratch guard stickers for all 4 door-sils. The cabin still retains the new car smell.

Expecting the car to join us very soon. The only concern for my wife was, she wanted the Purple or Pink color, but since their family too are Baba devotees like my wife & they gave my wife an idol brought from Shiradi, suddenly the color issue got vanished & she is very satisfied now

Last edited by swami.n : 29th November 2016 at 15:21.
swami.n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 16:10   #353
BHPian

Quote:
The only concern for my wife was, she wanted the Purple or Pink color, but since their family too are Baba devotees like my wife & they gave my wife an idol brought from Shiradi, suddenly the color issue got vanished & she is very satisfied now
ROFLOL

Congratulations on the acquisition - you are a lucky man as you got a pre-worshipped car and almost brand new with multiple upgrades!
Drive Safe! Stay Safe!!
daretodream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 17:50   #354
BHPian

Guys, brought home the white cutie.
Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission-1481113208723.jpg
Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission-1481112901393.jpg
Old 31st May 2017, 14:22   #355
BHPian

Quote:
We took the TD of nano AT and we were very impressed with the terrific cabin space and the lightest steering. Though I dint like the way the AT changes gear, my wife loves the ease of driving and parking. Also the fantastic AC and BT music system. Now only the Zest & Nano are on the radar
As an owner of two Nanos over last 7 years, I am telling you to buy the Nano without a shade of doubt in your mind.

If the Nano was not an Indian product, it would have been highlighted by media world over as the BEST city car ever built. Its not 'half a car' as perceptions turn out to be.. its a proper proper car.

You can buy both, the Zest and the Nano. use the Nano for everyday use and the Zest whenever you want to be seen in a 'better' car or go for long distances.
sjain2054 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 15:38   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjain2054 View Post
As an owner of two Nanos over last 7 years, I am telling you to buy the Nano without a shade of doubt in your mind.

If the Nano was not an Indian product, it would have been highlighted by media world over as the BEST city car ever built. Its not 'half a car' as perceptions turn out to be.. its a proper proper car.

You can buy both, the Zest and the Nano. use the Nano for everyday use and the Zest whenever you want to be seen in a 'better' car or go for long distances.
Thanks for your valuable suggestion sjain. We have actually bought the Nano AMT in Nov end 2016 & loving every bit of the car for the past 7 months. You can see the Pic I posted in the page, just before your reply.
We bought a 7 month old, 2500km run car from my friend who was travelling abroad long term. My wife, who was a very reluctant driver before buying the nano, has now driven 7500kms. The odo is about to touch the 10k mark in the coming days. I would say this is the best City car available combined with superior AC & Cabin space and almost all the essential goodies we expect from today's cars.

And by the way this last week, we have sold the Figo & went for the Honda City Petrol as the total expected Kms doesn't seem justified for a diesel. Actually its now 2 cars sharing the total KMs. Nano is for the city & City is for the higway runs

Last edited by swami.n : 31st May 2017 at 15:46.
Old 5th June 2017, 13:17   #357
BHPian

hi ,

Currently I have a grand i10 AT. Now I am looking for another car with petrol engine , AT transmission , ABS , airbags , I am not able to figure out as my zeroed down options have some issue or the other as stated below.

Hyundai New Grand i10 or i20 - not available with ABS , the best available variant misses out on earlier available features like start/stop button , alloy wheels etc.

Honda Jazz - No head rests for rear bench. No ABS

regards
Amol
Old 5th June 2017, 13:22   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolathalye View Post
hi ,

regards
Amol
Honda Jazz AT variants S and V have ABS.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 08:20   #359
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolathalye View Post
hi ,

Currently I have a grand i10 AT. Now I am looking for another car with petrol engine , AT transmission , ABS , airbags , I am not able to figure out as my zeroed down options have some issue or the other as stated below.

Hyundai New Grand i10 or i20 - not available with ABS , the best available variant misses out on earlier available features like start/stop button , alloy wheels etc.

regards
Amol
Check out the Baleno Delta/Zeta CVT and the Ford Aspire/Ecosport DCT. Maybe even the Ertiga VXI AT if you are looking for space.

Last edited by Oxy : 13th June 2017 at 08:45.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 11:46   #360
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
I am looking for a Petrol Automatic Hatch and is thinking between Figo 1.5 Titanium and Baleno Zeta CVT. Performance, Ride quality, Sitting comfort (front seats) are priorities.

Looks like Ford has not reduced the price for Petrol Auto in their latest price reduction :(

Tried both. Liked Figo's performance better though Baleno's interior space and exterior looks are better. Baleno's build quality is a concern. Figo is 9L OTR v.s. Baleen's 9.4L OTR

Suggestions?
I find myself on the exact same boat. Have booked a Baleno Zeta CVT a couple of days ago, but my heart screams Ecosport.

The problem is that we were one of those affected by Chevrolet's decision to exit India, so wife suggests to play it safe this time and not experiment with another American company.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed