Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2018, 23:33   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quick question.

Want to buy my first Auto car. Options are Swift petrol AMT VXI or Baleno petrol CVT Delta.

AMT had jerks in 1st and 2nd gear shifts when pressed hard. Also it was bit jerky. CVT on the other hand was smooth but didn't test it much.

Ready to shell out extra 1lakh for CVT but only if its worth it. Will keep it for next 7 years at least. Only drawback for Baleno is that its a older model and Swift is new. So does it make sense to put in that extra 1 lakh to get Baleno or save it and get Swift AMT?

Last edited by nitinralli : 1st April 2018 at 23:34.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 23:42   #437
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Want to buy my first Auto car. Options are Swift petrol AMT VXI or Baleno petrol CVT Delta.
Although you didn't mention you are looking for petrol or diesel but would recommend test drive Ford figo. It's another good option but not from Maruti brand if you are fine with it.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd April 2018 at 10:04. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 2nd April 2018, 09:21   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameer 26 View Post
Although you didn't mention you are looking for petrol or diesel but would recommend test drive Ford figo. It's another good option but not from Maruti brand if you are fine with it.
Sorry i thought by mentioning vxi i would make it clear that i am looking for petrol.
As for figo, it again is an ageing car. Also does it have auto in petrol?
Old 2nd April 2018, 09:34   #439
BANNED

Apologies, you did mention VXi but thought you might be open for both. Anyways, yes Ford Figo does have petrol automatic as per company website. https://www.india.ford.com/cars/figo...p=vhp-new-comp

There is grand i10 automatic too. But it's 4 speed automatic and hence won't recommend. You can check Tiago automatic too.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd April 2018 at 10:04. Reason: Formatted post
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:01   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
We recently went through the same decision dilema and eventually bought the Creta AT.
Do you use Baby seat? Because whenever I see Creta etc 5 seater, once you fit in two baby seats. Seating an adult becomes extremely difficult. Same with one baby seat and two adults(medium sized)

Last edited by ampere : 2nd April 2018 at 10:03. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 5th April 2018, 01:20   #441
BHPian

Tiago AMT is the best tuned AMT box available in that segment. The typical AMT head nod and jerks are.very minimal.
And great quality build too compared to many other cars in its class and even above. Has actually put Tata Motors back in the game

Last edited by swami.n : 5th April 2018 at 01:21.
swami.n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2018, 01:33   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Do you use Baby seat? Because whenever I see Creta etc 5 seater, once you fit in two baby seats. Seating an adult becomes extremely difficult. Same with one baby seat and two adults(medium sized)
Put the baby seat in the front passenger seat
(Rear facing obviously)
Old 6th April 2018, 22:58   #443

Hey Guys. ,
I am currently driving a EcoSport (Diesel, Manual) in Crazy Mumbai traffic. I do approximately 1750 KMs per Month. I am looking for a Automatic Hatchback but am unsure what to get.
Over my search of late I have the following observations.
In Diesel - the only option I have is a Swift AMT. But is an AMT a real Automatic. I didn't enjoy the gear changes in AMT that we'll.
In Petrol - quite a few options here but can it be affordable with my kind of running ? The Micra CVT is highly under-powered. The Tigor and Tiago suffer with being under powered and AMT gear change issues. Still to try the Baleno CVT.

What do you guys recommend ?
Old 7th April 2018, 08:01   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Quick question.

AMT had jerks in 1st and 2nd gear shifts when pressed hard. Also it was bit jerky. CVT on the other hand was smooth but didn't test it much.

Ready to shell out extra 1lakh for CVT but only if its worth it. Will keep it for next 7 years at least. Only drawback for Baleno is that its a older model and Swift is new. So does it make sense to put in that extra 1 lakh to get Baleno or save it and get Swift AMT?
Figo Petrol DCT. 1.5 ltr engine and dual clutch autobox. Face lift is around the corner too which addresses lackluster interiors.
I bought one recently and it's much much better than AMTs, and underpowered CVTs in the segment.
Not sure but in the face lift, Ford will replace current 1.5 ltr engine with EcoSport's dragon series engine and DCT with 6 speed TC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadil23 View Post
Hey Guys. ,
I am currently driving a EcoSport (Diesel, Manual) in Crazy Mumbai traffic. I do approximately 1750 KMs per Month. I am looking for a Automatic Hatchback but am unsure what to get.
Over my search of late I have the following observations.
In Diesel - the only option I have is a Swift AMT. But is an AMT a real Automatic. I didn't enjoy the gear changes in AMT that we'll.
In Petrol - quite a few options here but can it be affordable with my kind of running ? The Micra CVT is highly under-powered. The Tigor and Tiago suffer with being under powered and AMT gear change issues. Still to try the Baleno CVT.

What do you guys recommend ?
Next gen Amaze is having diesel CVT option. If you can stretch your budget a bit.
Old 9th May 2018, 18:46   #445
BHPian

Looking to buy a city car to replace my 2012 i20 crdi.

Reason for change:
Have been driving a diesel for almost a decade (Accent Viva Crdi before the i20).
Bangalore traffic and turbo lag is not a great combo.
Other cars in the house for highway runs.

And therefore I'm now looking for a small AT car with a budget of 10L. An added requirement is safety (minimum ABS + dual airbags + ISOFIX) for the baby.

Test drove the Swift AMT and Tiago XZA. My impressions are:

Swift - Like the new design, refined motor, better ride quality than I expected, decent AMT, no top end AMT and interiors are not great

Tiago - Mature design, quality interiors, nice features, VFM, sluggish AMT in city mode and unrefined 3 pot engine.

Looking to evaluate the new Figo that might launch soon.

What other hatchbacks can I look at? And are there any more in the pipeline?
Old 9th May 2018, 21:40   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknicsand View Post
Looking to buy a city car to replace my 2012 i20 crdi.

What other hatchbacks can I look at? And are there any more in the pipeline?
I would also look at Ignis AMT. Significantly cheaper than Swift AMT, along with some on going offers, and AMT is also available on top end.

You should also have a look at i10 AT. Its torque converter unit so, mileage would be lower, but gearshifts would be smoother. Do keep in mind, ABS was added to i10 Sportz AT just last month, so ensure that the model you get has that.
Old 10th May 2018, 16:03   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quick question.

Any particular reason you are not considering the Jazz SV or V CVT? SV should be in the range of the Baleno, while the "V" should be hovering in the upper range of your budget. It is smooth, reliable and very spacious.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 12:43   #448
BHPian

advice needed:

I am looking for a hatchback fully loaded Petrol automatic(CVT, DSG etc preferred) which we shall keep for 5-8 years. will be taking it on company car lease

My current plan is to use it myself for office commute and then hand it over to my wife within 1-2 years(she currently drives an Eon since 5 years). I am driving an Ikon right now and switch to this car(Sell the 12 yr old Ikon).

Later within 1-2 years, will sell off the eon and shift to a larger car and handover this car to my wife.

My current choices are:
Baleno CVT, i20 CVT, Polo GT highline(budget stretch),

Budget(~8 lakhs)

Not preferring the AMTs based on what I read. your feedbacks are most welcome
Old 21st June 2018, 13:56   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde View Post
advice needed:

My current choices are:
Baleno CVT, i20 CVT, Polo GT highline(budget stretch),

Budget(~8 lakhs)

Not preferring the AMTs based on what I read. your feedbacks are most welcome
Polo GT TSI is 11L on road in Bangalore. DSG is not available on Polo, only on Polo GT.

Baleno CVT was quite smooth when I test drove it, but ride and interior quality was average.

You should test drive the Tiago XZA AMT. The AMT implementation is good and felt it was better than the Swift.

I was looking for a full loaded petrol automatic hatchback with ISOFIX, dual airbags and build quality being the minimum requirement. I ended up booking the Nexon XZA+
teknicsand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 13:59   #450
BHPian

I can't help but notice that the grand i10 isn't on the list. Any specific reason?

Also, for keeping the car for 5-8 years, I wouldn't recommend a DSG - unless the company money isn't your money and they'll be taking care of it.

And yes, you'd do well to stay from AMTs.
I personally prefer TC AT among ATs for our conditions, but for city use, a CVT will be lovely.
Mu009 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks