Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2018, 11:39   #466
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I'm eyeing a 28,000 Km-run 2011 A-Star Vxi Automatic. Owned by a family as a second car where the wife uses it daily. I'll have it similarly used by my wife. The named price is around Rs.3L. I was (still am) pining for a used Nano XTA variant but I cannot find one in the market...
The A-Star has a torque converter right? Could there be any outright reason why I shouldn't even consider the car? Please advise.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...-new-nano.html
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 14:21   #467
BHPian

I am in the same situation as you, why dont you look out for a used alto K10 Amt. If you want alittle more than look at the celerio Amt.
Old 22nd July 2018, 07:12   #468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshav1426 View Post
I am in the same situation as you, why dont you look out for a used alto K10 Amt. If you want alittle more than look at the celerio Amt.
Good choices, but however I am leery of Maruti's AMT cars. My FNG mechanic too thinks the same of Maruti's AMTs. "They will break down, but I can get the spares and fix it for you", he said. He was more confident of Hyundai's TC ATs.

Among the lot of automatics besides, as the Team BHP community has come to realize, AMT works best with a bigger/powerful engine.
Old 23rd July 2018, 09:14   #469

Quote:
I am looking for a used car so that my wife doesn't feel any pressure (nor guilt) in learning to drive a new car in barbaric city traffic. Moreover, I have already bought a new 2 wheeler and a new compact SUV this year. It's just too extravagant in my situation to buy yet another new vehicle. Besides, I'm a guy who used to swear by the financial sense in buying used!

Speaking of cramped conditions in the A-star
The rear leg room is not all that bad in the A-Star. It will prove adequate for passengers of medium height. The driver leg room is quite good for a car of this size. I consistently get a mileage of 13-14 km/litre with 50/50 city/highway drive. Not a single rattle so far and the parts have held up really good even after 5 years despite the horrible roads of Trivandrum. The K10 engine is a gem and we haven't spent a dime extra on maintenance than required.
Lively is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 10:50   #470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm eyeing a 28,000 Km-run 2011 A-Star Vxi Automatic. Owned by a family as a second car where the wife uses it daily. I'll have it similarly used by my wife. The named price is around Rs.3L. I was (still am) pining for a used Nano XTA variant but I cannot find one in the market...

My wife got her DL just today. I want her to be able to drive in the real world confidently; there is no better way to begin on her own than in an automatic car. Being 6'4" tall, I don't foresee myself driving it. My wife is 5'8" and it should be okay for her.

The A-Star has a torque converter right? Could there be any outright reason why I shouldn't even consider the car? Please advise.
...and this weekend, I'm about to purchase the same A Star Vxi AT (ABS) mentioned earlier by me. Thanks to everyone who provided their guidance. I'm getting it for Rs.2.75L. I had a thorough check done by my trusted local mechanic. All 4 tyres are 8 years old and aside from that and a few usual urban dings in the body, the car is in top shape.

I need to get my wife to drive it next and teaching her to drive in manic city traffic is a story for another time. Wish me luck!
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 12:14   #471
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Hello Guys,
So I am looking for a Automatic for my sister for mainly city driving. Do you think Baleno Zeta CVT is a good choice or should I go for any other. My budget is less than 9L. I did also think of checking out the Swift but not sure if the AMT will be good, also looked at Honda Jazz but it breaches my budget.

Please suggest.
Old 21st September 2018, 15:53   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanu2k15 View Post
Hello Guys,
So I am looking for a Automatic for my sister for mainly city driving. Do you think Baleno Zeta CVT is a good choice or should I go for any other. My budget is less than 9L. I did also think of checking out the Swift but not sure if the AMT will be good, also looked at Honda Jazz but it breaches my budget.

Please suggest.
If you are not fixed to Baleno or Jazz sized cars, why not take a look at the Tiago AMT. It is the best VFM hatch and one of the better tuned AMT available. Should be well within budget. If you are sceptic about the AMT, check out the Brio. The 1.2 for such a small car is super peppy.
Old 21st September 2018, 17:06   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
If you are not fixed to Baleno or Jazz sized cars, why not take a look at the Tiago AMT. It is the best VFM hatch and one of the better tuned AMT available. Should be well within budget. If you are sceptic about the AMT, check out the Brio. The 1.2 for such a small car is super peppy.

I am actually fixed on that size car. Not looking for smaller segment car. So basically narrowing down to few of the below hatchbacks:
Baleno Zeta CVT
Honda Jazz V AT
Hundai i20 Magna AT

Last edited by kanu2k15 : 21st September 2018 at 17:08.
Old 21st September 2018, 17:33   #474
BHPian

Quote:
I am actually fixed on that size car. Not looking for smaller segment car. So basically narrowing down to few of the below hatchbacks:
Baleno Zeta CVT
Honda Jazz V AT
Hundai i20 Magna AT
In that case, the Maruti or Honda will be the ones which provide decent FE. Not sure about the i20 CVT though.
The Jazz has marginally better space and boot compared to the other two here. Also a little better built than the Baleno with super light weight construction.
But yes the Jazz is Overpriced for what it offers.
Do you consider less run preowned options or fixed to a new car?
I guess the Jazz would be available at a competitive price compared to the Baleno.
Old 21st September 2018, 18:04   #475
BHPian

Hello fellow bhpians. I am looking to finalize an automatic car for my parents with the following requirements:

User - Dad who is about 70 in age
Usage - 90% of times driving around the town or 10% on highway (in which case they would hire a driver and sit in the back seats)
Fuel - Petrol (low running)
Cost - Around 10 lakhs
Gearbox - CVT or TC
Easy entry and egress (should not be v low slung)

So the choices have come down to this (along with OTR):

Baleno Alpha - 9.62
Elite i20 Asta - 9.35
Jazz VX - 10.24
Amaze V - 9.22

I am almost certain that Amaze is not a good choice due to poor build quality (have visited the showroom and checked it myself). Also, I prefer buying only the top end model in any car as I believe the incremental cost is small in absolute terms. I own GT TSI and love my car to the moon. But I would not consider this for my parents due to inadequate leg space in back seats.

Standalone, all 3 cars seem to be good enough (and all are CVT). I need inputs from all of you on how should we go about deciding which car to buy? Baleno Alpha has some unique features while i20 is known for its benchmark interiors. At the same time, Jazz is more spacious and has a different feel altogether. What factors (other than price) should we consider to to decide between these 3 models? Is there any difference in ease of driving/parking/handling among these cars? Is there an obvious choice out of the three models? Thanks in advance.
Old 21st September 2018, 20:46   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
In that case, the Maruti or Honda will be the ones which provide decent FE. Not sure about the i20 CVT though.
The Jazz has marginally better space and boot compared to the other two here. Also a little better built than the Baleno with super light weight construction.
But yes the Jazz is Overpriced for what it offers.
Do you consider less run preowned options or fixed to a new car?
I guess the Jazz would be available at a competitive price compared to the Baleno.

Sticking to new only. I told her to check her out the jazz but she seems comfortable with baleno, got a quote for 893000 approx. Will get 1.5 lakh discount by trading in her old alto 2011 model. So 7.43 lakh on road with extended warranty. Trying to squeeze more discounts but not looking too promising.

Will check jazz too in few days if they give good discounts as it not a hot seller anyways.
Old 25th September 2018, 00:06   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
What factors (other than price) should we consider to to decide between these 3 models? Is there any difference in ease of driving/parking/handling among these cars? Is there an obvious choice out of the three models? Thanks in advance.
Maybe this video would help:

Old 25th September 2018, 10:42   #478
BHPian

Quote:

Will check jazz too in few days if they give good discounts as it not a hot seller anyways.
Just to share my Honda experience w.r.t. Jazz CVT: I was thinking of replacing my wife's i10 Auto with a new automatic hatch. Jazz & Polo GT were the obvious choices.
Called up Saphire Honda on ORR, fixed an appointment for test ride of Jazz CVT. Reached there on time but Sales Rep (Anand) who spoke on phone was nowhere to be found. Rep appeared after wait of more than ten minutes, which I used to take a dekkho of Jazz. As such I liked the car but wify was not sure, she found it bit big for her comfort. We thought, lets take test ride to make up our mind. However, Rep said car has gone out for a test ride, we chose to wait for some more time. After loitering in Honda showroom for another fifteen minutes, I asked Mr Ananth when can we expect the car. Suddenly it dawns on him that there is no car available for test ride, as it has gone to Kudlu gate. We left the showroom disappointed, while Rep promised that he will bring the car to my home on the same day.
It's been three weeks and no follow up from Sales Rep, I too didn't bother to call Saphire after this experience.

Next, I called up Dakshin Honda, to take the test ride. What followed was multiple calls from Venkatesh, Srinivas and receptionist that they will arrange a test ride on the same day, then nexy day, then on weekend. Still, no test ride.

With this experience, we gave up the idea of changing i10 for now!!

Not sure if I was the unlucky soul out there or this is the general attitude of Honda towards prospective customers for the premium hatch.

Focus is now shifted to change my XUV, which has started to show it's age after almost 70k KMs. Now, it all depends on how Premium XUV dealers treat me in my search

Based on this experience, I would advise to adjust your expectations: Only lucky ones get the test ride Jazz and to get a discount, you should have done certain good deeds in your life (pun intended)

Last edited by Acharya : 25th September 2018 at 10:50.
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2018, 22:36   #479
BHPian

So - I am in the market to buy a new AMT hatchback in Hyderabad. Want to limit to Rs.5 lakh and under - reason being I will be driving it 1-2 months a year at most when I visit. And a car with easy ingress/egress and high ground clearance were a must . Have seen a few options discussed here on
TeamBHP. Agree that none of these will be the safest cars. But I will be driving very short distances - urban city commute with bumper to bumper traffic.

Options I considered were [all AMT versions] :

Renault Kwid - good looks but lot of needed AMT features lacking. Good ground clearance.
Maruti Alto - cheap pricing, but lots of compromises . Rear back space very less. Too cramped. Too low to ground.
Tata Nano - perfect fit for city driving especially in Hyderabad where the roads are choked with traffic. But - being phased out - spotty dealerships . But the main reason - it's being discontinued or atleast phased out .
Hyundai Santro AMT - just out recently . But the pricing is way out of sync for what it offers. Has the Hyundai name going for it though.

And 2 were left :

Datsun Redi-Go AMT - this was a surprise option I came up with after reading T-BHP. Good pricing . Lot of practical AMT features. Plus the new Datsun 5 yr ext warr and Datsun care . High ground clearance - need it on Indian roads. Plus - easy ingress and egress like Wagon-R. Ticked all boxes for me. But - has poor reputation on T-BHP. Not sure why. Was a little surprised by this. And some cool colors - love the lime green and brown colors ! So, why the hate for this - especially as the Kwid gets so much praise ? What am I missing here ? Will this be a good option ?

Maruti Wagon-R AMT - this was a default choice. Yes - prices closer to Rs.6 lakh maybe - but a tried and tested model. Very easy ingress/egress. Lots of headroom. High ground clearance. Good reliability but with rattles and OK build quality as is typical of Maruti.

I was planning to go ahead with the Datsun Redi-Go AMT based on my needs - with a Wagon R a close second maybe - what do you folks think ? And TIA for any advice/suggestions/recommendations? And by the way - used cars are not an option - too many risks involved and dont want the hassle. Has to be a spanking brand new car for me. And if you feel my choices or assumptions are stupid - please feel free to let me know ! Much better being stupid before rather than buying later and realizing that was a wrong choice !

Last edited by deltheking : 4th November 2018 at 22:45. Reason: spaces
Old 5th November 2018, 09:07   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltheking View Post
So - I am in the market to buy a new AMT hatchback in Hyderabad. Want to limit to Rs.5 lakh and under - reason being I will be driving it 1-2 months a year at most when I visit.
If your car is going to be only for couple of months a year, the suggestion would be not to buy one but rent one, any which way.

A parked car deteriorates the fastest (tyres, battery, oil etc). If your family or friends would be using the car on a regular basis, then, owning a car could be considered.

Most Viewed