Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2018, 16:59   #481
BHPian

Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltheking View Post
I will be driving it 1-2 months a year at most when I visit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
If your car is going to be only for couple of months a year, the suggestion would be not to buy one but rent one, any which way.

A parked car deteriorates the fastest (tyres, battery, oil etc). If your family or friends would be using the car on a regular basis, then, owning a car could be considered.

Completely agree with what swissknife said. In city like Hyderabad, you Uber/Ola is also a very easy option to consider. You would infact save much more than if you would spend on a new car.
Old 6th November 2018, 22:47   #482
BHPian

Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
If your car is going to be only for couple of months a year, the suggestion would be not to buy one but rent one, any which way.

A parked car deteriorates the fastest (tyres, battery, oil etc). If your family or friends would be using the car on a regular basis, then, owning a car could be considered.

The car will be used sparingly when I am not there -so that it doesnt deteriorate as you said. And some of my visiting family members can use it if needed. Thought about renting - but with kids and family and unpredictable timings - felt it would be better to buy.
Old 6th November 2018, 22:50   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Completely agree with what swissknife said. In city like Hyderabad, you Uber/Ola is also a very easy option to consider. You would infact save much more than if you would spend on a new car.

Also, to be honest - one other reason would be to get behind the wheel and drive in Hyderabad in an AMT. Has been a while since I have driven in India - would love to do it again inspite of the crushing traffic!! Dont know - absolutely just love driving cars ; and sitting behind in an Uber with someone else driving would make me go crazy

And this thread on Team-bhp would be the reason why I want to buy a car instead using a rental :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...n-youth-5.html (Change in car ownership trends in India - Paradigm shift among the urban youth)

Buying all the way for me !

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th November 2018 at 08:20. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thanks.
Old 30th May 2019, 12:22   #484
bkc
BHPian

Cheap and efficient automatic

Hi,
I've been driving a swift diesel for past 75000kms, most of my commute is within city and some trips to hyderabad (monthly once).
My knee pain has increased a lot due to continuous driving in half clutch and may be the riding posture too.
Right now inclined to have a cheap automatic and retain swift or, exchange swift for an automatic, which is good for both city and highway.

Kindly request your inputs. I'm ok with preowned cars and expect good average too.

Ready to spend up to 5lacs upon swift or a secondary car. My brother would like to use the swift, if I have a secondary car.

Thanks in advance.
Old 30th May 2019, 13:19   #485
BHPian

Re: Cheap and efficient automatic

If you can stretch your budget, replace your Swift with Tata Tiago amt. I know amt have their own set of inherent flaws but at the end of the day it provides the much needed convenience that you are looking for.
And particularly go for Tiago amt because -
1. It has a supreme build quality and doors shut with a reassuring thud.
2. Good noise insulation therefore pleasant driving experience.
3. Superb music system.
4. Decent amount of space in cabin along with many storage bins hence practical. Also it has a smaller footprint so it's easy to weave through the city traffic.
5. Decent highway performance if you have a calm and relaxed style of driving and prefer to only cruise comfortably.These were my observations when I drove my uncle's Tiago for few days recently.

Last edited by Storm2.0 : 30th May 2019 at 13:24.
Storm2.0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 14:10   #486
Distinguished - BHPian

Firstly, it would be good to list some requirements - such as fuel type, new or pre-owned, etc.

Personally, if your brother will use the Swift then it makes sense to retain it for his use + highway trips. This would allow you to look for a small compact car for the city where you face the most amount of strain.
Unfortunately most automatics are only petrol - even if you go the pre-owned way (I am keeping cars like the Laura TDi DSG out of the picture keeping in mind maintenance cost on a 5-6 year old Skoda with a DSG).

I'd recommend picking up a light & easy to drive car like the Santro / Wagon R / Tiago as a city car if you want a new vehicle.
That being said, if you are open to exploring pre-owned cars: You can look for an i20 AT / Jazz AT - a segment higher, but with better AT gearboxes & good reliability.

Alternately, if you could sell the Swift and increase your budget to around 8-9L - you're options open up, including the new Swift Diesel AMT, and just maybe be able to stretch for the Amaze CVT Diesel.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 14:23   #487
Senior - BHPian

Stretch a budget a little and get a 2-3 year old Honda Jazz AT or 3-4 year old Ford Ecosport AT.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 15:27   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Stretch a budget a little and get a 2-3 year old Honda Jazz AT or 3-4 year old Ford Ecosport AT.
Even a used Honda city is manageable with 6.5 lakhs. Just sold mine last week.

Was a 45000 K 2014 December VX CVT Sunroof Model (I was second owner).

A 3rd Gen will be easily available with a 5 lakh budget.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 16:19   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
If going the pre-owned route then I'd second both the recommendations.

Jazz is what I asked my sister to buy when she came to India for a year, requirement was to have a safe AT hatchback. I drove it a few times and absolutely LOVED the car for what it offers. Its not a corner carving hot hatch but as a commuter vehicle, it beats cars from segment above.

Ecosport in fact is even better but having seen not so great Ford A.S.S experience I'd rather stick with Jazz AT. It beats a few sedans when it comes to space and the CVT isn't as bad as its made out to be, especially when people are living with jerky AMTs.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 17:42   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
My knee pain has increased a lot due to continuous driving in half clutch and may be the riding posture too.

I'm ok with preowned cars and expect good average too.
For Rs. 5 lakhs or thereabouts, you can have a brand new AMT hatchback with decent amount of equipment. Automatic variants of Santro, Tiago and Ignis are some good cars for city commute. If I were to choose, I would go with the Santro AMT for its electronic actuators and the resultant better shifts. The engine has enough grunt to keep up with city traffic and the tall boy design will help you sit in a more upright posture.

If you go the pre-owned route, you can find cars with CVTs and torque converters but keep in mind that the fuel efficiency will not be more than 10-12 km/l in city with either of the transmissions.

In case you plan to exchange your Swift and increase the budget (by how much depends on the resale value it fetches), I can think of the Amaze CVT (diesel) as a good and comfortable option. But yes, nothing beats having 2 cars if you have 2 users at home.

Last edited by self_driven : 30th May 2019 at 17:43.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 18:22   #491
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
If you can stretch your budget, replace your Swift with Tata Tiago amt.
And particularly go for Tiago amt .
Hi sir,
No doubt tiago is great, but, I guess you mistook the budget, swift ZDI 2015 would sell for atleast 5.5 lacs in Bangalore and additional 5 lacs from my side, would bring overall amount to 10.5 lacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Firstly, it would be good to list some requirements - such as fuel type, new or pre-owned, etc.

Personally, if your brother will use the Swift then it makes sense to retain it for his use + highway trips.

I'd recommend picking up a light & easy to drive car like the Santro / Wagon R / Tiago as a city car if you want a new vehicle.
That being said, if you are open to exploring pre-owned cars: You can look for an i20 AT / Jazz AT - a segment higher, but with better AT gearboxes & good reliability.

the new Swift Diesel AMT, and just maybe be able to stretch for the Amaze CVT Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Even a used Honda city is manageable with 6.5 lakhs. Just sold mine last week.

Was a 45000 K 2014 December VX CVT Sunroof Model (I was second owner).

A 3rd Gen will be easily available with a 5 lakh budget.
Hi Sir,
My requirement is to ride in city, if it is a highway capable car, then great; mainly need a car which can keep my right knee silent.

My brother can happily use the swift, if I get a cheaper alternate car.

I'm okay to have tiago or any other good car, may be preowned for 5lacs, but the new swift with 0 stars, definitely not an option sir.

Tempting to have Honda city but, will it give good average? with my budget 3rd generation is great if it can give good average.

Budget I guess my post was confusing, to clear the air:
1) additional car, budget 5lacs.
2) Exchange = 5.5lacs + 5lacs = 10.5 lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
If going the pre-owned route then I'd second both the recommendations.

Jazz is what I asked my sister to buy when she came to India for a year

Ecosport in fact is even better but having seen not so great Ford A.S.S
hi sir,
Jazz is a good car but assuming it gives lesser average for commute; My current car has run 75,000kms in 4 years, ideally, it should have been 1 lac but my additional car, optra magnum (sold) compensated the additional 25k kms.
If average wasn't an issue, ford figo automatic with dragon, would be my top choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
For Rs. 5 lakhs or thereabouts, you can have a brand new AMT hatchback with decent amount of equipment. Automatic variants of Santro, Tiago and Ignis are some good cars for city commute. If I were to choose, I would go with the Santro AMT for its electronic actuators and the resultant better shifts. The engine has enough grunt to keep up with city traffic and the tall boy design will help you sit in a more upright posture.

If you go the pre-owned route, you can find cars with CVTs and torque converters but keep in mind that the fuel efficiency will not be more than 10-12 km/l in city with either of the transmissions.

I can think of the Amaze CVT (diesel) as a good and comfortable option. But yes, nothing beats having 2 cars if you have 2 users at home.
More or less, my mind is thinking like your's sir, but in bangalore OTR is too much.
Santro is a no brainer but amaze's grinder isn't a great choice for commute? or is it?

Once again thank you all for great inputs, kindly, ask if you need more information.
Old 30th May 2019, 18:42   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Santro is a no brainer but amaze's grinder isn't a great choice for commute? or is it?
I recommended the diesel CVT as that combination is decidedly superior to the petrol CVT in Amaze. Considering your 25k kms annual run, it seems to make even more sense.

I've not driven the Amaze CVT but its reviews are positive. I have experienced this diesel engine in the WRV, it sure sounds gruff but feels at home in city traffic with its superb low end grunt. Most cars (except Hyundai) in this segment will have considerable diesel engine noise filtering into the cabin. Take a test drive and decide for yourself.

If you want a diesel automatic (excluding AMTs) in under Rs. 10 lakhs ex showroom, Amaze is a strong contender despite all its cons. Ameo DSG isn't there in terms of reliability and that engine is also quite loud.

Last edited by self_driven : 30th May 2019 at 18:44.
self_driven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 19:12   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I recommended the diesel CVT as that combination is decidedly superior to the petrol CVT in Amaze. Considering your 25k kms annual run, it seems to make even more sense.

I've not driven the Amaze CVT but its reviews are positive.
I have test driven the car and the Diesel CVT combination is great. I didnt like the looks of the car though!
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 20:16   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Kindly request your inputs. I'm ok with preowned cars and expect good average too.
An out of the box solution. Buy a pre owned car like corolla / City automatic and fit a CNG kit. Yes, the CNG situation in Bangalore is not as good as Mumbai / Delhi or even Pune, but I think a larger tank can compensate for frequent filling.

You will be be able to get a good deal as well as get running cost thats significantly lower than petrol or diesel.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 21:51   #495
bkc
BHPian

Quote:

If you want a diesel automatic (excluding AMTs) in under Rs. 10 lakhs ex showroom, Amaze is a strong contender despite all its cons. Ameo DSG isn't there in terms of reliability and that engine is also quite loud.
Amaze seems to be convincing but, at the cost of Exchanging Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I have test driven the car and the Diesel CVT combination is great. I didnt like the looks of the car though!
Yes sir, same here, looks in the front looks too ugly IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
An out of the box solution. Buy a pre owned car like corolla / City automatic and fit a CNG kit. Yes, the CNG situation in Bangalore is not as good as Mumbai / Delhi or even Pune, but I think a larger tank can compensate for frequent filling.
Yes, Never thought about this option, good idea, I shall research about it sir.

How is the option of Tiago AMT XZ? (preowned)

found two ads, What could be the best price for these? any inputs please.

http://www.olx.in/item/1514002839

http://www.olx.in/item/1516730327

Last edited by bkc : 30th May 2019 at 22:16. Reason: missed a point

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks