Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2019, 14:27   #496
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 648
Thanked: 720 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

I would suggest dont buy a B segment used car if you have the budget. You will keep missing the swift. No B segment car is as driver oriented as the swift in my view.

If you are looking for a used car, start from B+ and go upwards.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2019, 20:30   #497
bkc
BHPian
 
bkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: bengaluru
Posts: 111
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I would suggest dont buy a B segment used car if you have the budget. You will keep missing the swift. No B segment car is as driver oriented as the swift in my view.

If you are looking for a used car, start from B+ and go upwards.
Completely agree with you sir.
Tiago as additional car is what I meant. Both brother and I can drive both.
bkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 18:38   #498
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 43
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Hi,

We are looking to buy a used automatic hatchback form my wife.
She's a new driver (has a drivers license but doesnt have much driving experience).

Main criteria
1. Low initial cost and cost of running.
2. Expecting limited running. Mostly local supermarket runs and occasional pick up drop/kid from school etc. No long drives expected.
3. Ease of driving. Since she's not an expert driver, would like a small hatch - preferably an automatic.
4. Should be reliable. Dont want to go for an older car that may come cheap but could have problems.
5. She has currently taken a break from work and is looking to get back to work possibly within a year. Once that happens and once she's comfortable with driving, we may sell this car and get a bigger/better one.

Currently thinking of buying a used Nano XTA preferably within warranty period.
Do you think it's a good idea ? How much should I expect to pay for say a 2016 model Nano AMT?

Have read some stories about Nano having issues with AMT and people having to replace gearboxes, so a bit worried.

Thanks in advance.
ar@v1nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2019, 00:06   #499
BHPian
 
self_driven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NCR
Posts: 270
Thanked: 556 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar@v1nd View Post
Do you think it's a good idea?
If you're planning to sell off the car in 1-2 years, I would not recommend Nano. Finding buyers for a petrol Tata car is very difficult; more so when it has changed hands already. That said Nano is a very easy to drive car for city conditions. I have driven one from early batch but the owner reported problems such as rust, rattles and minor niggles 2 years into ownership. But I've heard newer models (2015 onwards IIRC) are better put together and have most of the issues ironed out.

If you're not keen on an automatic, try and find a Ritz or Swift top end (Zxi) with airbags, ABS and other kit. You'll be able to hold on to it for more than a few years even if upfront purchase cost will be higher than a Nano.

If AT is an absolute must, stretch and go for a used Alto K10 AMT, learn on it and sell it in 1-2 years for something better.

Last edited by self_driven : 8th June 2019 at 00:10.
self_driven is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 00:33   #500
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 43
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
If you're planning to sell off the car in 1-2 years, I would not recommend Nano. Finding buyers for a petrol Tata car is very difficult; more so when it has changed hands already. That said Nano is a very easy to drive car for city conditions. I have driven one from early batch but the owner reported problems such as rust, rattles and minor niggles 2 years into ownership. But I've heard newer models (2015 onwards IIRC) are better put together and have most of the issues ironed out.

If you're not keen on an automatic, try and find a Ritz or Swift top end (Zxi) with airbags, ABS and other kit. You'll be able to hold on to it for more than a few years even if upfront purchase cost will be higher than a Nano.

If AT is an absolute must, stretch and go for a used Alto K10 AMT, learn on it and sell it in 1-2 years for something better.
Thanks self_driven. Would really prefer an automatic so I'll look out for a used Alto or WagonR AMT.
ar@v1nd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 12:40   #501
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 639
Thanked: 630 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar@v1nd View Post
Thanks self_driven. Would really prefer an automatic so I'll look out for a used Alto or WagonR AMT.
Due to their high resale, buying a newer one would work out better any day. Instead it would be better if you can find a used A-star automatic.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 19:08   #502
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 43
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Due to their high resale, buying a newer one would work out better any day. Instead it would be better if you can find a used A-star automatic.
Thanks. Going back to Nano AMT. How much do you think a Nano AMT 2016 model should cost? If the cost is low enough I might even keep it as a beater car @ home after a couple of years (my father might need one).
ar@v1nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 19:40   #503
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 639
Thanked: 630 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar@v1nd View Post
Thanks. Going back to Nano AMT. How much do you think a Nano AMT 2016 model should cost? If the cost is low enough I might even keep it as a beater car @ home after a couple of years (my father might need one).
My guesstimate is around 1.7L-1.8L. But, please do check the online used car evaluation tools like OBV, Cars24 or IndianBlueBook for a more approximate pricing.
jetsetgo08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 15:02   #504
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Hi,

We stay in Mumbai and though the Uber-Ola nexus does solve a lot of transportation problems, my wife's latest job development makes her more prone to intracity commute. So, we (my wife and myself) have finally decided to buy a hatchback. It will be our first car and we are already a little worried about the regular stream of cash flow a car demands (services/spares etc.)

Anyways, we have budgeted around 5 lacs for a new car. My wife doesn't want to go for a second-hand car due to sentimental reasons and being the wise husband, I didn't want to bring the thorns of logic in our relationship. So, a brand new car with function over form. I am a little torn between AMT and MT. Also, I have been considering Tiago, Brio & Ignis as suitable picks.

P.S: To be honest, I am biased towards Tiago. Absolutely in love with the looks, have read brilliant reviews and most of all, it has Harman Kardon speakers. But, Tata's service centres have always been an issue. And then, the legacy of product failures. Brio seems to be a wise choice. But, wanted to seek the opinions of the auto-gurus here.

Do enlighten and help untangle this mess.

Thanks
enigmatic_avi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 16:03   #505
BHPian
 
porsche_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Vadodara (GJ06)
Posts: 334
Thanked: 845 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic_avi View Post
We stay in Mumbai and though the Uber-Ola nexus does solve a lot of transportation problems, my wife's latest job development makes her more prone to intracity commute. So, we (my wife and myself) have finally decided to buy a hatchback. It will be our first car and we are already a little worried about the regular stream of cash flow a car demands (services/spares etc.)
Instead of the Tiago, I'd recommend you to look at the Alto K10 AMT. I agree it feels(and is) a lot cheaper but it will be much more peppy in the Mumbai traffic. Also, being a first car, the spares will be cheap and readily available as well as a huge service network. Invest the remaining funds and get a nice crossover a few years down the road once you're ready for it.

Cheers!

Last edited by ampere : 14th July 2019 at 23:22. Reason: quoted post trimmed
porsche_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 16:25   #506
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 49
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Mod note: Post edited for readability. Please use punctuation and paragraph breaks, helps with readability. Also avoid quoting entire large post for replies. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic_avi View Post
Hi,

We stay in Mumbai and though the Uber-Ola nexus does solve a lot of transportation problems, my wife's latest job development makes her more prone to intracity commute.
=====
P.S: To be honest, I am biased towards Tiago. Absolutely in love with the looks, have read brilliant reviews and most of all, it has Harman Kardon speakers.

Thanks
Tiago is a very good city car.Had rented a diesel manual for a day and found it to be good in all areas except the gearbox and the engine which felt really lacking once you cross 50kmh. The steering is light for wading through city traffic and the Harman kardon system is just perfect. It also helps out to drone out that horrible clatter from the 1.05l engine in a huge way. The driving experience might be better off with the AMT though..

Now talking about the brio, it's a very good city car if and only if you are considering to buy a second hand car which you aren't. As Honda doesn't really sell it anymore. You can check with dealers if they have some remaining stock left out.I have a brio automatic and it is a joy to drive ..The 1.2l has decent low end response (not very good)but for city runabouts it's manageable, has no mid range as such and the top end is really where there is some amount of punch with a nice sound coming from the motor. In city it gives anywhere between 11-13.5kml and on highways can expect around 17-19kml. Highway stability is really good for a car of this size and class and handling wise is spot on albeit a bit of body roll because of the front suspension being softer than the rear. Ride quality is where it suffers. The rear passengers will complain of the ride being too stiff. Wind noise starts seeping through the cabin past 60-65kmh. Cabin space is a big plus.6f feet guys have good legspace but the rear seat base is a bit short. Audio quality is horrible compared to the Tiago and not to mention the 185l (I guess)boot space.Overall if you are looking for a hatchback for city runabouts then look no further than the Tiago.Brio, only if stocks remaining and you have another car.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th June 2019 at 16:50.
TSIVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2019, 12:01   #507
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
Instead of the Tiago, I'd recommend you to look at the Alto K10 AMT. I agree it feels(and is) a lot cheaper but it will be much more peppy in the Mumbai traffic. Also, being a first car, the spares will be cheap and readily available as well as a huge service network. Invest the remaining funds and get a nice crossover a few years down the road once you're ready for it.

Cheers!
Hi, Thanks for the suggestion! It's just that like you have mentioned there is a huge reluctance on our part to buy an Alto or a Wagon R. Not because of their performance or anything but because of inherent bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
Mod note: Post edited for readability. Please use punctuation and paragraph breaks, helps with readability. Also avoid quoting entire large post for replies. Thanks.


Tiago is a very good city car.Had rented a diesel manual for a day and found it to be good in all areas except the gearbox and the engine which felt really lacking once you cross 50kmh. The steering is light for wading through city traffic and the Harman kardon system is just perfect. It also helps out to drone out that horrible clatter from the 1.05l engine in a huge way. The driving experience might be better off with the AMT though..

Thanks! I thought Brio still sells (I was checking Honda's website). Will check regarding availability. But, in case Brio is still available, do you opine that Brio >> Tiago?

Last edited by ajmat : 25th June 2019 at 12:46. Reason: Trimming quote
enigmatic_avi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2019, 21:13   #508
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 49
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic_avi View Post
Thanks! I thought Brio still sells (I was checking Honda's website). Will check regarding availability. But, in case Brio is still available, do you opine that Brio >> Tiago?
Yes would still stick with the brio.Since ours turned 5 just a month back,we are thinking of replacing the brio not because we don't like it ,but generally we switch our car around the 5-6year mark.

Problem is we can't really find any hatch with such a good autobox.We aren't looking at AMT's after being spoilt by the smoothness of this torque converter.Its really good.The only contenders right now are the figo 1.5ti-vct 6speed auto(still waiting for tbhp review) and the GT TSI.
TSIVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2019, 21:47   #509
BHPian
 
self_driven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NCR
Posts: 270
Thanked: 556 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic_avi View Post
Brio >> Tiago?
From an enthusiast's perspective, Brio will be more fun to drive but it doesn't make sense to scout for a new one unless you want that superior auto-box.

Hyundai Santro and Tata Tiago are good cars in the segment. My recommendation would be the Santro for its engine and Hyundai's proven after-sales service (quite important for a first-time buyer).
self_driven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2019, 22:55   #510
BHPian
 
urban legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: kalyan
Posts: 92
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Hello. I am looking to purchase a new compact petrol automatic car. My requirements:

  1. It will be mainly for city use(90% of the time ). I drive myself usually solo. Rarely there will be 4 people in the car.
  2. It is a second car for daily use. My other car is a Honda CR-V.
  3. My previous second cars have been - swift , ford aspire , celerio amt. So I am not considering the new swift or the Figo or any amt.
  4. It must be peppy to drive. Even for city use.
  5. A premium image good build quality and premium interiors with good features
  6. Seating up front should not be low. Backseat can be a bit low, no issues. But it must have decent leg room and shoulder room.
  7. Good visibility, light steering, and small turning circle. My daily route is over narrow roads heavy traffic and tight parking spaces.
  8. Decent ground clearance for huge speed breakers and a soft suspension
  9. Running cost and maintenance can be on the higher side. My running is hardly 600-800 kms a month. But I want to avoid large and unexpected costs-like gearbox failures, turbo failure, aircon issues etc.
  10. I plan to keep the car for at least 5-7 years, maybe more if possible. So service and spares should be easily available
  11. The buying experience might not be great as itís a one time thing but a good service experience is a must.

My options and noted negative points:
  • Baleno CVT: Low seating, build quality and interiors donít feel premium
  • Honda Jazz: Sluggish to drive, poor visibility, interiors not at par with cost, dash and tech too similar to my CRV. New jazz will be coming within a year
  • Polo TSI: Low seats, long term reliability especially the DSG might not be good, Poor service record
  • Ford Ecosport: Too expensive for a second car, interiors loaded with features but donít look or feel premium, DCT long term reliability unknown ).

Suggestions please

Last edited by ampere : 14th July 2019 at 23:26. Reason: Formatted for readability
urban legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automatic transmission - sedan or hatchback under 10L Tron Sedans 17 2nd June 2016 11:32
Mercedes Benz 300D (W123 series): Manual Transmission to Automatic Transmission. wartikars Post-War 5 3rd January 2014 12:39
Wheelspin in an Automatic Transmission (A/T) Dippy Technical Stuff 24 6th December 2010 22:19
Need help to choose an Automatic Transmission hatchback chittybang Hatchbacks 17 28th April 2008 10:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:10.

Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks