Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2020, 15:15   #526
BHPian

Re: Which automatic car for around 8L?

I'd be considering the following cars if I had requirements like you-

1) Tiago AMT- Nice to drive in the city petrol engine along with the segment best built and safety. Since you're planning to go for ocassional highway trips.

2) Ignis AMT- Quirky looks, fairly reliable and nice handling

3) Hyundai Aura/Nios AMT- Tried and tested Engines, although the Aura's look might not be to everybody's liking

However, if you're willing to increase your budget then the newly introduced Nexon XMA+, the Skoda Rapid rider automatic are worth considering. Please keep in mind that both these cars are a segment above the forementioned and will offer you superior features, ride and power.

Do consider going the pre owned way because that will open the doors for a far more car for your money proposition.
Abhi5868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 15:35   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi5868 View Post
Do consider going the pre owned way because that will open the doors for a far more car for your money proposition.
Thanks for the suggestions. I am not looking at used cars for following reasons -
1) I don't know enough to check it properly. Specially a used automatic.
2) I suck at bargaining.
3) I plan to use this for a very long time.

People who drive AMTs, any pointers about driving uphill and downhill?
Old 6th September 2020, 15:41   #528
BHPian

I think getting a pre owned car will be much better in your case. You can get 2-3 year old C2 segment sedans which I think will be way ahead in almost all areas than the compact hatchbacks that you are currently looking at. These cars will have proper automatics as well (TC/CVT).
If you are not open to pre owned cars I would also suggest the same cars which have already been suggested by others. Since you will keep the car for a long time I suggest that you stay away from AMTs if possible because their long term reliability is still unknown and bhpians have written about problems with Maruti and Hyundai AMTs.
Edit: Mods please delete this post, I didn't read that the OP does not want a pre owned car when I wrote this post.

Last edited by tanmoy87 : 6th September 2020 at 16:05.
Old 6th September 2020, 15:46   #529
BHPian

Check out the Swift Zxi Amt, it has all the necessary features as well as fair amount of creature comforts. The OTR price for ZXI AMT is around 8.4L. So if you don't mind stretching a bit then it's a worthy option to check for
Old 6th September 2020, 15:55   #530
BHPian

Somehow I totally ignored the Swift. How does it compare with wagon r and ignis, specifically the amt?
Old 6th September 2020, 15:56   #531

The Swift AMT VXI is under 8L and a no brainer although as jigar stated that the ZXI would have more bells and whistles for a little more money. Also, there is the Renault Triber AMT which can seat 6-7 people comfortably if you need more room for people or luggage when on family trips.
Old 6th September 2020, 16:10   #532
BHPian

In terms of space, all the cars you have listed are similar. The Triber AMT could be slightly more spacious although I don't know how good/bad the shift feel is. If you buy an AMT car, do check the performance on a mall ramp to see if you are okay with it.
Old 6th September 2020, 16:31   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
Ford has ditched the Figo and aspire AT.
You can wait for the Ford Figo Automatic it was supposed to be launched by August end. Might have been delayed due to the prevailing situation.

Here's the source of information.
Old 6th September 2020, 16:37   #534
BHPian

If your budget is 8L. Look for a used Honda Amaze, Brio (both are TC units). A Baleno Delta CVT or Honda Jazz CVT is also another option.
Old 6th September 2020, 18:45   #535
Senior - BHPian

I'd recommend stretching your budget by a lakh and going for the Skoda Rapid with the TC. It's old but still a solid car and with the Vento already getting the TC, the Rapid will get it soon too.
If you don't want something as big as a C2 sedan, you could give a look at the Renault Triber AMT. It's got great space however it might feel a bit underpowered.
Old 6th September 2020, 19:49   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Yet another which car thread.
Hello. If you can stretch the budget by a lakh- Amaze S CVT Petrol can be had at 9.08 On-road Thane before even discounts. I feel the superior & reliable CVTs plus Amaze's large boot and good cabin space will be an ideal option for your requirements.
Also, the upcoming Nissan Magnite is expected to come with CVT & 1.0 Turbo petrol option too for some variants. Magnite will be undercutting a lot of compact SUVs on price according to reports.
AMG1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 21:01   #537
BHPian

Quote:
How easy it difficult to adapt to amt while going up or down slopes? I understand hand brake is needed while going uphill, but what to do while going downhill?
It's scary at first but you'll get the hang of it. For both uphill and downhill, it's best to use manual gear selection mode and select 1st/2nd gear.
Old 6th September 2020, 23:41   #538
BHPian

Had visited Tata and Hyundai showrooms today for a look-see. Compared to my esteem, even the tiago seemed a lot more spacious. Wife liked the Tigor mainly due to the added boot, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra 1L over the Tiago.
In the hyundai showroom we checked nios and Aura. Both felt very nice overall, however the aura's weird styling put us off. There were quite a number of customers, and the staff was busy, but we were attended to in a short while and the sales lady quickly gave us the basic details, inquired if we wanted to exchange, ask their valuator to check our car, and lastly assured us that she'll work out the best possible deal when we've finalised.The Tata sales person did seem a lot less enthusiastic in comparison.
Despite this, both the wife and I are more inclined towards Tata. I am still trying to stretch my budget for the Nexon xma. This however brings up 2 points -
1) The features that I lose out on in Nexon xma. Which are likely to make me feel bad in a few years time?
2) Stretching the budget to 10L opens up a lot more possibilities, and that too better than amt - Baleno, Amaze, Jazz and Rapid. Will have to compare Nexon xma with all of these as well.

Last edited by zhopudey : 6th September 2020 at 23:47. Reason: Spelling
Old 7th September 2020, 09:00   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Despite this, both the wife and I are more inclined towards Tata. I am still trying to stretch my budget for the Nexon xma. This however brings up 2 points -
2) Stretching the budget to 10L opens up a lot more possibilities, and that too better than amt - Baleno, Amaze, Jazz and Rapid. Will have to compare Nexon xma with all of these as well.
Why not try the new XM(S) variant. It costs around 10 lacs on road and you get much of what you need. Sunroof, steering mounted controls, and what not.
If still you can't stretch your budget, the Tigor is a great VFM buy. It has quite a number of features over the Tiago.

The Rapid Rider/ Rider Plus variant is a great buy as well. This link https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...omes-home.html (Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Rider Variant - Ownership Review - The Carbon Steel beast comes home!) will surely help.

Cheers and Good Luck!
Old 7th September 2020, 09:04   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpk View Post
Why not try the new XM(S) variant. It costs around 10 lacs on road and you get much of what you need. Sunroof, steering mounted controls, and what not.
Like it says in the thread title he is looking for an automatic right?
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed