Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 13:49   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

^^^ Don't think that is true for the i10 and A-Star AT versions. While the A_Star is available with AT in the middle-trim (VXi), the i10 is available in Sportz version as well as top-end Asta version.

ATs sure are gaining popularity. A friend back home at Kerala picked up the i10-Sportz AT last week after checking out A-Star and i10. He does have a physical disability with the left-leg, but still going AT was a last minute decision, as he was initially looking at MT hatches.
Old 16th May 2011, 14:10   #77
BANNED

I suspect the 1.2l limit ended up removing a lot of potential ATs from the hatches. I am wondering with many of the hatches having 1.2l+ engines as options what is holding back ATs. At one time a Jazz 1.5AT was on the cards but then Honda chickened out.

I would add that a CVT may be the preferred choice here. Smaller, lighter, and simpler. See the Brio publicity pictures - a CVT AT but only for Thailand!
Old 16th May 2011, 16:54   #78
BHPian

I understand Nissan is introducing the Micra AT available abroad freely into India soon..can anybody cross check pl..??
Old 16th May 2011, 18:25   #79
BHPian

Slightly OT. But i am waiting for the day a car manufacturer offers us a compact hatchback diesel automatic. I will be the first one to buy it.
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:17   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I suspect the 1.2l limit ended up removing a lot of potential ATs from the hatches. I am wondering with many of the hatches having 1.2l+ engines as options what is holding back ATs. At one time a Jazz 1.5AT was on the cards but then Honda chickened out.

I would add that a CVT may be the preferred choice here. Smaller, lighter, and simpler. See the Brio publicity pictures - a CVT AT but only for Thailand!
Not really, i dont think its about the 1.2 limit at all. Its all about the cost and mileage. Most folks see that you can get the diesel version for the cost of the petrol automatic, and with the cost of diesel being what it is, that is the factor that matters in the end. Only people who really want the convenience(a lot of them being expats who are used to autos) or the self-driven wealthy(very few since most prefer chauffers) end up going for AT's and its a very small percentage of people. Well if that was Honda's plan then they chickened out because the Jazz 1.5 AT would have cost more than all the diesel sedans in the segment! Ive already posted this, but an automatic Figo diesel could really shake up the segment!

Another factor is since AT cars dont sell much its not worth it for some manufacturers to introduce AT cars(less production so probably higher cost, extra training for AT version, stocking of spares, etc). Take the i10 for example, it sells about 12-14k cars a month. How many of those would be AT's? I'd wager that its less than 500. If the volumes increase then more and more manufacturers would sell AT cars.

Last edited by radiokidb : 23rd May 2011 at 13:20.
Old 9th August 2011, 11:24   #81
BHPian

I think it would make sense if some manufacturer got in a Automatic DIESEL hatchback. Diesel would mean better torque and better mileage and rule out the 'poor average' tag which the petrol ATs come with. What say ?
Old 9th August 2011, 15:07   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Are you sure about Zen and 800 ?? I hope you are not confusing an Automatic gearbox with AutoClutch thingy !!
Yes they were. The M800 AT was a 2-speed job reserved for the handicapped only. The Zen and Esteem had the same unit, a 3-speed. I have seen them all.
Old 9th August 2011, 15:18   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
Not really, i dont think its about the 1.2 limit at all. Its all about the cost and mileage.
With the 1.2l limit the AT becomes even costlier due to Excise reasons. Now that we have the i20 AT (1.4) and the 1.6 versions of the Palio etc. I see less reason to bring out the AT. Hyundai has had an AT in both the Santro and now the i10/i20. Also, the Santro AT does duty after uprating in the Verna. So even a high volume manufacturer like Hyundai obviously sees some demand. Maruti had AT versions of the Zen and Esteem before the A-Star. I am not including the M800AT since it was on special order for the handicapped. So why the others do not have AT hatches is a big ?? to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
Another factor is since AT cars dont sell much its not worth it for some manufacturers to introduce AT cars(less production so probably higher cost, extra training for AT version, stocking of spares, etc). Take the i10 for example, it sells about 12-14k cars a month. How many of those would be AT's? I'd wager that its less than 500. If the volumes increase then more and more manufacturers would sell AT cars.
Volumes have increased. When I bought my Santro they could find only one in Hyundai inventory, fortunately of the colour I wanted. Otherwise, it was to order with a month plus lead time. The ATs are all imported, so the recent reduction in taxation should help. Now there are two AT variants of the i10.

Also, I feel the Jazz AT should have better demand. Just see the number of City & Civic ATs on this forum. Now there is some talk of a Brio AT using the CVT unit (more sensible, smaller, lighter and maybe cheaper), which I guess will come from the City Mk.II. As for maintenance an AT needs less that the MT, which is the reason why a lot of taxi operators in Europe switched to AT towards the end of the 1970's.

Last edited by sgiitk : 9th August 2011 at 15:19.
Old 16th August 2011, 10:11   #84
BHPian

Also, I feel the Jazz AT should have better demand. Just see the number of City & Civic ATs on this forum. Now there is some talk of a Brio AT using the CVT unit (more sensible, smaller, lighter and maybe cheaper), which I guess will come from the City Mk.II. As for maintenance an AT needs less that the MT, which is the reason why a lot of taxi operators in Europe switched to AT towards the end of the 1970's.[/quote]

I didn't realize that Jazz has introduced AT. The demand is def there. Its the higher cost in our cost conscious society which has a bearing on the sales.
Our society more or less label the AT version is made for ladies. Thus cost and the gender association makes it less lucrative to buy, esp from the sales person belonging to the same society! I have also noticed that because of the cost, companies do not spend money advertising the benefits of the automatic transmission!
Old 17th August 2011, 09:38   #85
BANNED

@rkap01; Jazz At was announced but never put into the market. Thus was to be a 1.5.

Honda developed cold feet and there was a notification that the 1.5 will not be introduced. The fact that the 1.2 (derived from the 1.5, if I remember) is an over-square engine, it has an even narrower power band, making more frequent shifting necessary. I feel the 90bhp of the 1.2 would have been enough for an AT but Honda did not feel so!
Old 17th August 2011, 09:56   #86
BHPian

Let's all pray & hope that Maruti sees it fit to bring in the SX4 hatch with 4x4 & CVT gearbox. The high ground clearance & hip point will definitely be an added bonus.

Costing will be in the 11-12 lakhs range but better than paying 22 lakhs for a GV!
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:56   #87
BHPian

I purchased an i10 AT 2 months back. Before the 1st "FREE" service, I was getting a steady 10+KMPL. After getting it serviced, apart from the 'normal' and manmade damages caused by the authorized service centre, Sreenath Hyundai, Jogeshwari, Mumbai, they ruined the mileage to below 6 KMPL and on complaint are justifying that for a city like Mumbai AT is a wrong option with bumper to bumper traffic and if we are getting an average of 6, we should consider ourselves lucky. Am I supposed to buy this argument and resign myself to my fate for having made a wrong decision ? Kindly enlighten fellow BHPians.. Apart from the high initial investment, the daily nuisance of high petrol bills is simply killing.
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:57   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by refaircargo View Post
I purchased an i10 AT 2 months back. Before the 1st "FREE" service, I was getting a steady 10+KMPL. After getting it serviced, apart from the 'normal' and manmade damages caused by the authorized service centre, Sreenath Hyundai, Jogeshwari, Mumbai, they ruined the mileage to below 6 KMPL and on complaint are justifying that for a city like Mumbai AT is a wrong option with bumper to bumper traffic and if we are getting an average of 6, we should consider ourselves lucky. Am I supposed to buy this argument and resign myself to my fate for having made a wrong decision ? Kindly enlighten fellow BHPians.. Apart from the high initial investment, the daily nuisance of high petrol bills is simply killing.
Yes, i10 is known for low mileage for AT. My friends i10 AT gives 6-7 kmpl in bangalore city driving. A-star has one of the best city mileage with around 13-14 kmpl among AT.

Last edited by shamanth : 22nd August 2011 at 14:04.
Old 22nd August 2011, 17:13   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I purchased an i10 AT 2 months back. Before the 1st "FREE" service, I was getting a steady 10+KMPL. After getting it serviced, apart from the 'normal' and manmade damages caused by the authorized service centre, Sreenath Hyundai, Jogeshwari, Mumbai, they ruined the mileage to below 6 KMPL
May I ask what kind of driving style you have? Are you a rev-happy driver or a sedate one? I'm not sure 6 KMPL is normal, and it spooks me since I'm considering the i10 AT!
Old 22nd August 2011, 17:38   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you were getting 10+ earlier and now getting 6, clearly there is a problem. 'Bumper to bumper' is a very vague term. Does your stretch allow to get to 3rd and occasional 4th gear? Do you think even people with manual small cars get bellow 10 on this stretch?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks