Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2015, 23:54   #211

Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

I am planning to buy a car, preferably an AMT, for my dad. The budget is around 5.5L, partly dependent on how much we will get for our 10 year old Santro. I have short-listed following cars – Alto K10 VXi AT, WagonR VXI AT option, Celerio VXI AT, Grand i10 Magna, Figo petrol Trend.

I own a Figo, so this will be our secondary car, and will be driven mostly within the city by my father and my wife. I have added the Grand i10 and the Figo to evaluate the value proposition offered by the manual transmission cars.

My dad has test driven the Alto K10. He was impressed with the AMT but felt that the car is too small for his liking. But we are keeping it in the contention in case there is a budget cut.

Any advice would be welcome!
Old 13th November 2015, 04:49   #212
BHPian

Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_will View Post
I am planning to buy a car, preferably an AMT, for my dad. The budget is around 5.5L, partly dependent on how much we will get for our 10 year old Santro. I have short-listed following cars – Alto K10 VXi AT, WagonR VXI AT option, Celerio VXI AT, Grand i10 Magna, Figo petrol Trend.
I would suggest you to go ahead with Wagon R Vxi AT if your dad has liked the Alto K10 Vxi AT. Both the cars are powered by the same K10 engine but Wagon R has loads of space inside it. Your dad would definitely appreciate the airiness of the cabin and the ease of ingress/egress it offers.
I am also assuming that this car will not be used for highway runs as it can never be as safe as Figo on highways as the segments are completely different.
kptraveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 07:57   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_will View Post
I am planning to buy a car, preferably an AMT, for my dad. I have short-listed following cars – Alto K10 VXi AT, WagonR VXI AT option, Celerio VXI AT, Grand i10 Magna, Figo petrol Trend.

My dad has test driven the Alto K10. He was impressed with the AMT but felt that the car is too small for his liking. But we are keeping it in the contention in case there is a budget cut.
If you aren't very rigid on your list, then may I suggest NANO XTA - it ticks all your boxes well such as a city-only car, not the primary vehicle, driven by either the elderly or the women in the house, well with-in your budget & auto-transmission. Ingress & Egress is greatly aided by the tall-boy stance as well as the 180mm ground-clearance & comes with a bunch of bells & whistle, if you care about them (creep function, sports-mode, amphistream with blue-tooth connectivity & whole lot of option to accessorize your ride right from the dealer itself).
tabrez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 11:29   #214
BHPian

Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

My wife is simply not interested in a new Nano XTA and I failed to convince her so we are now in the market for a pre-owned automatic hatch as second car. Budget is around 3 - 3.5 Lakhs (so new Alto K10 auto ruled out). I am finding the following options in the used car market.
  1. Maruti Wagon R 2012. These are within the budget and I like the tall stance so would be easy for my wife to drive it.
  2. Alto K10 AGS. These are hard to find in the market and are also pricier.
  3. Hyundai i10 auto. Lots of these in the market. Hyundai H promise has few as well but are at least 50K more than individual sellers. However Hyundai H promise offers 1 year/20K warranty. Not sure if its work about 50K more.

I am a bit hesitant to buy a used auto since the transmission types are unknown (AMT, CVT?), uncertainty about how well the previous owners maintained it, cost of transmission breakdowns, availability of parts. Given these apprehensions is there a safe bet to take on these, any specific model to be avoided? Had it been a manual then even FNG would be able to fix it. Are FNGs equipped to handle these old autos?
Old 17th March 2016, 13:16   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspatil View Post
  1. Maruti Wagon R 2012. These are within the budget and I like the tall stance so would be easy for my wife to drive it.
  2. Alto K10 AGS. These are hard to find in the market and are also pricier.
  3. Hyundai i10 auto

I am a bit hesitant to buy a used auto since the transmission types are unknown (AMT, CVT?), uncertainty about how well the previous owners maintained it, cost of transmission breakdowns, availability of parts. Given these apprehensions is there a safe bet to take on these, any specific model to be avoided? Had it been a manual then even FNG would be able to fix it. Are FNGs equipped to handle these old autos?
Look for the A-Star AT. Should be the first choice and you should be able to get a good one for 3.5L . A couple of members here also have recently picked up used A-Star AT's(( Check this ownership review from Bhpian smartcat. I recall Distinguished Bhpian Condor also getting one) . It is a good solid car and if you can get the VXI, comes with ABS also (for a particular model year-Which year I do not remember)

I don't think the Wagon R ever came with an AT option. i10's are a safe buy, but FE will be pretty low.
Old 17th March 2016, 14:40   #216
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My wife is simply not interested in a new Nano XTA and I failed to convince her so we are now in the market for a pre-owned automatic hatch as second car. Budget is around 3 - 3.5 Lakhs
How about waiting for the Kwid AMT? Though it might be a tad above your budget(even in the RXL model).
Old 17th March 2016, 14:57   #217
Senior - BHPian

A-Star A/T is a good and sensible choice and from my experience with buying a used A-Star A/T around two years back, I can say that not only your wife you will also like it due to the drive quality in the city.

Wagon R did come in A/T long back (around 2006-07) but with 3-Speed one and did flop and Santro A/T with 4-speed box but with single digit mileage tapped whatever the market share was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Look for the A-Star AT.

I don't think the Wagon R ever came with an AT option. i10's are a safe buy, but FE will be pretty low.
Old 17th March 2016, 16:03   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Look for the A-Star AT.
Thank you for that reference thread. A-Star looks good but I am not able to find any with AT option in the market - I'll keep a look out. However given that the model is no more in production and it isn't a popular model would spares be an issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
How about waiting for the Kwid AMT? Though it might be a tad above your budget(even in the RXL model).
We have thought about this and my wife doesn't mind waiting for its release. But as you said I too feel it'll be at least 1 Lakh above my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Wagon R did come in A/T long back (around 2006-07) but with 3-Speed one and did flop and Santro A/T with 4-speed box but with single digit mileage tapped whatever the market share was.
If that's so then I'll keep away from the Wagon R. Given that the car will be minimally used (expecting less than 500 KM / month) an FE difference of 2-3 KMPL doesn't matter much. I just need a reliable, low budget car.
Old 17th March 2016, 17:07   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for that reference thread. A-Star looks good but I am not able to find any with AT option in the market - I'll keep a look out. However given that the model is no more in production and it isn't a popular model would spares be an issue?
There seems to be a few on online portals like cartrade.

http://m.cartrade.com/buy-used-cars/bangalore/maruti-suzuki/a-star/2089218.html

http://m.cartrade.com/buy-used-cars/bangalore/maruti-suzuki/a-star/2024938.html

Don't think spares or maintenance will be an issue. After all it is a Maruti.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 00:22   #220
BHPian

Quote:
There seems to be a few on online portals like cartrade.

http://m.cartrade.com/buy-used-cars/...r/2089218.html

http://m.cartrade.com/buy-used-cars/...r/2024938.html

Don't think spares or maintenance will be an issue. After all it is a Maruti.
Thanks, yes I found a few more as well. Initially I looked only on TrueValue. After an exhaustive search by my wife we have narrowed down to Hyundai i10 Asta/Magna/Sportz AT or Maruti A-star VXI (ABS) AT. Here is my evaluation of these categories based on my knowledge. Please share your views.

Hyundai i10 Asta/Magna/Sportz AT
+ Lots on the used car market so pick of color available
+ Manual variant still in production so spares/service shouldn't be an issue
+ Asta variant has ABS + Airbags
+ Slightly lower priced than comparable A-star
+ Saw few reviews here from 2011 that claimed the i10 is far better than the A-star

Maruti A-star VXI (ABS) AT
+ Fuss-free ownership due to MASS
+ Better FE compared to i10
+ Height adjustable seats
+ Slightly smaller (length) compared to i10

I am now confused as to which to go for!

Couple of quirks I found. Used i10 Sportz are selling for almost the same price as Asta though Asta is much more loaded (ABS + Airbags, etc.) than Sportz. Also any idea what kind of auto transmission do the A-star and i10 have?
Old 18th March 2016, 07:57   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I am now confused as to which to go for!

Couple of quirks I found. Used i10 Sportz are selling for almost the same price as Asta though Asta is much more loaded (ABS + Airbags, etc.) than Sportz. Also any idea what kind of auto transmission do the A-star and i10 have?
Both will serve your need. Suggest you decide based on which among these have better specimens for sale. Give preference to less run , newer options.

The AStar will be more compact but is cramped at the back. Being a car that was exported a lot, is probably more solid compared to other Maruti's in the price range. It sold poorly here. So getting a good speciman is more of a challenge.

The i10 as you mentioned sold well is still sold ( manual), so availability will be better and is a bigger car. But since it was the most popular AT few years back, are generally on the expensive side.

Both use 4 speed Torque Converter gearboxes. And both are still used across the product range. I think the same box or a variant is used in the Dzire, Ertiga and Ciaz. Hyundai definitely uses the same AT box in the Grand i10, xcent and even the Verna.

I think the Asta AT was sold only in a particular model year.
Old 18th March 2016, 08:13   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both use 4 speed Torque Converter gearboxes. And both are still used across the product range. I think the same box or a variant is used in the Dzire, Ertiga and Ciaz. Hyundai definitely uses the same AT box in the Grand i10, xcent and even the Verna.

I think the Asta AT was sold only in a particular model year.
The same AT box with different torque converters will behave very differently. Secondly the TCU will be adjusted to minimise loading in smaller engines, and to upshift and lock earlier in larger ones. Due to this torque converters sap fuel effeciency when coupled to small low torque petrol engines. The same gearbox with a bigger converter couled to a larger engine with higher torque will upshift early, and rob you of the engines inherant peppiness, while returning fuel effeciency only a shade below what a good driver will be able to with a manual.

So for AT buyers, look for AMT for smaller engined vehicles, DSG for mid sized, and Torque converters only for larger ones (1.6 D or 2.0 P)

Rahul
Old 18th March 2016, 09:38   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Both will serve your need. Suggest you decide based on which among these have better specimens for sale. Give preference to less run , newer options.
Thank you. It appears to me that back in the days i10 AT was around 1 Lakh more than the A-star but now the used ones are selling at similar prices because of demand-supply ratio. Higher supply of i10s vs. lower for A-star. I'll ask my wife to TD both and let her decide. Insurance against finger pointing later
Old 18th March 2016, 22:13   #224
BHPian

I have narrowed down to the A-star now and looking at two offers. Both are 2012, 2nd owner. One is run about 25K and the other 16K.

25K: Guy stays close to office and has done only office-home commute hence low mileage. Has all service records to back it up.
16K: Guy has been abroad most of the time so car has been sitting idle and used intermittently. Battery died last year and this was changed. Has service records.

I will test driving both this weekend and before doing so I wanted to check on few things. Both cars have very low runs so I will need to keep an eye out for tampering. What worries me more is the 16K one being kept idle for long periods. The owner is insisting that regular service has been done. I will check the service records but is there anything specific I need to look for when inspecting the vehicle? Ex. rust, stuck moving parts, etc. I have read the excellent advice posts about buying a used car but can't seem to find advice about this.
Old 20th March 2016, 07:58   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have narrowed down to the A-star now and looking at two offers. Both are 2012, 2nd owner. One is run about 25K and the other 16K.

25K: Guy stays close to office and has done only office-home commute hence low mileage. Has all service records to back it up.
16K: Guy has been abroad most of the time so car has been sitting idle and used intermittently. Battery died last year and this was changed. Has service records.
. What worries me more is the 16K one being kept idle for long periods. The owner is insisting that regular service has been done. I will check the service records but is there anything specific I need to look for when inspecting the vehicle? Ex. rust, stuck moving parts, etc. I have read the excellent advice posts about buying a used car but can't seem to find advice about this.
I think you should be able to pull service history from any authorized service center. Sitting idle is fine as long as it had been serviced at correct intervals. Some people say it has not run much, hence not serviced as per schedule. Which is wrong.

If you are not comfortable after your inspection, maybe you can check if you can take it to a service center and get a full report. Not sure if Maruti does such reports. Some bigger manufacturers do it. You can also maybe ping the Bhpians who purchased recently and check for any AStar specific things to check.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed