Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2016, 19:55   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Next on the list were the Hondas. Liked the overall look and feel , but Brio is unable to make a case for itself at almost 7.9L rupees on road Pune with dealer pushed extras. Nor can the Jazz , touching almost 10L On road for the V-AT, though we have parked it in our minds thanks to the overall plush feel.
Quote:
Figo has not (yet) being considered, because my parents are fixated on the two Jap brands only. We plan to keep this hatch for a really long time (>10 years).
In that budget, the best AT option you have is the Brio.

The engine is a peppy little gem and, coupled with the TC box, gives a pliant, plush, fuss-free ownership. Honda's i-VTEC engines are very reliable and can easily serve you for more than 10 years, if you are thinking of keeping your car for that long. Added conveniences include easy parking, teeing off from anywhere almost at will, and a maintenance-free ownership. Trust me, you and your parents are going to love the baby Honda's easy-to-go nature in the daily urban grind.

I won't recommend the Grand i10 AT for many reasons - the FE will make your eyes water, maintenance is higher, it's a 4-speed TC slushbox, and there are no safety features on offer.

Also, the power/torque figures can't match the Brio.

The Baleno AT is another good option, but I doubt it will be on a ready-delivery platter at the nearest NEXA outlet. At the least, you might be looking at a 4-5 month waiting period.

The Micra CVT is another fantastic option but I am not recommending it since it doesn't have a passenger airbag in it's offered variant.

Only case to spend nearly 1.5-2 lacs extra for the Jazz CVT is if you need all the extra space on a regular basis. Be minded that the engine is the same as the Brio, with a slight bump in power figures. Still, the Jazz has plenty of extra weight over and above the Brio so the CVT feels sluggish at slow speeds, and also suffers from a predominant rubber-band effect when the A-pedal is pressed hard.

My recommendation - the Brio VX AT. If the car is primarily for your parents and is to be used for in-city driving most of the time, don't look beyond the Brio.

Even at it's slightly high price (I am sure you can get discounts on it if you haggle well with the dealers), it's the best option, between the Grand i10 AT, the Micra AT, and even the Jazz CVT.

All the best!

Recommended ownership reads:

sgiitk

Rollingwheels26
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 16:47   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
In that budget, the best AT option you have is the Brio.
:sigh: , if it only felt more plush for the amount they charge. It needs new interiors. If only Honda's ABS/Airbags-standard-on-Jazz rumour comes true. The S-CVT then would be the ideal car.

Quote:
The Baleno AT is another good option, but I doubt it will be on a ready-delivery platter at the nearest NEXA outlet. At the least, you might be looking at a 4-5 month waiting period.
The original plan was to get a car by first week of May , but lack of options may put a spanner in the plans. One would assume there is less waiting for the Baleno CVT thanks to low Demand for ATs ?
Old 28th April 2016, 16:58   #243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My recommendation - the Brio VX AT. If the car is primarily for your parents and is to be used for in-city driving most of the time, don't look beyond the Brio.

No Figo?

Micra CVT is good. But for that price, I would take the Figo anyday.

Grand i10 would have been good. (Low FE and 4 Speed AT should not make a difference for some one driving mainly in the city; assuming low-to-medium usage). Where it lets me down is no safety kit. Else would have been a good allrounder package for city and with price hopefully much lower than Figo/Micra/Jazz.

Quote:
If it only felt more plush for the amount they charge. It needs new interiors. If only Honda's ABS/Airbags-standard-on-Jazz rumour comes true. The S-CVT then would be the ideal car.
For that price (~8L) Brio definitely does not make sense. But as you said, options are limited. No safety on Hyundais is a big let down. I hope they make that change as soon as possible.

Last edited by ampere : 28th April 2016 at 17:44.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 17:43   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
:sigh: , if it only felt more plush for the amount they charge. It needs new interiors. If only Honda's ABS/Airbags-standard-on-Jazz rumour comes true. The S-CVT then would be the ideal car.
The Grand i10 feels much plusher in comparison, but the transmission + lack of safety features pushes it back.

You cannot beat the engine + transmission + safety features + reliability of the baby Honda.

With lack of good AT options in that price band, we have to compromise a wee bit. None of them are proper all-rounders, and I for one would never compromise on the engine & safety feature parameters.

Quote:
The original plan was to get a car by first week of May , but lack of options may put a spanner in the plans. One would assume there is less waiting for the Baleno CVT thanks to low Demand for ATs ?
You can enquire, but I have a feeling Maruti-Suzuki just might not be producing enough Baleno ATs. Hence the nearest NEXA might quote you a long waiting period. If you can get one quickly, fantastic.

I recommend the Zeta variant over the Delta, for a bunch of extra features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
No Figo?

Micra CVT is good. But for that price, I would take the Figo anyday.
Quote:
Figo has not (yet) being considered, because my parents are fixated on the two Jap brands only. We plan to keep this hatch for a really long time (>10 years).
The OP and his family have limited their choices to the Japanese counterparts only, hence didn't recommend the Figo.

Quote:
Grand i10 would have been good. (Low FE and 4 Speed AT should not make a difference for some one driving mainly in the city; assuming low-to-medium usage). Where it lets me down is no safety kid. Else would have been a good allrounder package for city and with price hopefully much lower than Figo/Micra/Jazz.
+1.

Quote:
For that price (~8L) Brio definitely does not make sense. But as you said, options are limited. No safety on Hyundais is a big let down. I hope they make that change as soon as possible.
If there was a fully-loaded Grand i10 AT variant, I would have recommended it wholeheartedly. The Brio's interiors seem like they don't justify the price, but the rest of the package (engine/slushbox/performance/reliability) is pretty much top of the hill.

The same combination in the Jazz, plus the CVT, disappoints.

My topmost choice in this particular AT segment is the Baleno, followed by the Figo & then the Brio. All others come after.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 28th April 2016 at 17:48.
Old 28th April 2016, 18:49   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Grand i10 would have been good. (Low FE and 4 Speed AT should not make a difference for some one driving mainly in the city; assuming low-to-medium usage). Where it lets me down is no safety kit. Else would have been a good allrounder package for city and with price hopefully much lower than Figo/Micra/Jazz.
Quote:
The Grand i10 feels much plusher in comparison, but the transmission + lack of safety features pushes it back.
Grandi10 AT comes with dual airbags and ABS. Related thread and refer this post to confirm the same.
Grand Drive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 18:58   #246
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
Grandi10 AT comes with dual airbags and ABS.
How did we miss that! This is indeed good news.

@Sajo Definitely worth a look !
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 19:11   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Grandi10 AT comes with dual airbags and ABS. Related thread and refer this post to confirm the same.
The official website still lists the Asta variant as the petrol Automatic option for the Grand i10 range, and, although it is supposed to have dual airbags, ABS is still a miss.

Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission-untitled.jpg

If they have upgraded the AT option to the Asta (O) variant with this latest update, well and good. I stand corrected.

In that case, the Grand i10 Asta (O) AT makes a case for itself as well. But I would still recommend the Brio VX AT over it, because of a better-performing engine + a 5-speed proper AT box, instead of the anaemic 4-speed one in the Hyundai.

Even the Baleno Zeta AT is a better option at that price range, with a fantastic peppy K-series engine, a slushbox worthy of it's price, and a long list of nifty, novel features. No compromise on safety features either.

Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission-untitled1.jpg

Provided it is available for quick delivery, that is.
Old 28th April 2016, 19:26   #248
BHPian

Quote:
The official website still lists the Asta variant as the petrol Automatic option for the Grand i10 range, and, although it is supposed to have dual airbags, ABS is still a miss.

If they have upgraded the AT option to the Asta (O) variant with this latest update, well and good. I stand corrected.

In that case, the Grand i10 Asta (O) AT makes a case for itself as well.
It seems that the official website is not updated as Grandi10 Asta MT variant is discontinued.
Grand Drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 12:20   #249
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys! Reading the responses from this thread , I am now leaning towards the Baleno too. I have checked out a few Balenos available with a dealer in his stockyard (all were customer allotted cars) and found the quality to be at-par with Swift. Which is not saying much , but better than other smaller Marutis.
Received a call from the Honda dealer , they are not willing to offer any discounts on the Brio , however, "can" discuss a few options for 2014 model Brio lying in their stock yard.
Old 29th April 2016, 19:58   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys! Reading the responses from this thread , I am now leaning towards the Baleno too. I have checked out a few Balenos available with a dealer in his stockyard (all were customer allotted cars) and found the quality to be at-par with Swift. Which is not saying much , but better than other smaller Marutis.
The low kerb weight of the Baleno makes it a really sprightly performer for in-city runs. The Zeta variant has a very decent list of features as well. Combine that with dollops of space both in front and at the rear, and you have the best option in this price range for your whole family.

Did you enquire about waiting periods? How soon can you get your hands on one, if you go ahead with the booking?

Quote:
Received a call from the Honda dealer , they are not willing to offer any discounts on the Brio , however, "can" discuss a few options for 2014 model Brio lying in their stock yard.
Don't fall for that. I wouldn't touch a 2-year old car with a barge pole which has been lying with the dealer for any amount of discounts/freebies, etc.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 29th April 2016 at 19:59.
Old 29th April 2016, 20:42   #251
BHPian

We ended up booking the Brio VX AT earlier today. 2016 Jan manufacturing date with Feb dispatch. Onroad was 7,61,194 at Pride honda, Hyderabad. We opted for zero dep from Bharti Axa and turned down extended warranty and honda connect. Delivery is next week. Just the free mats and cover was on offer.

This will primarily be used by my better half for office commute. Its small size fits the bill for us. Our first choice was celerio zxi amt optional but the dealer after a month let us know there are no dispatches for the same and we have to either cancel our booking or take up zxi amt without airbags and abs. We cancelled instead. Baleno CVT zeta has a two month wait here and its bigger too just as the Jazz CVT. We instead preferred the smaller hatchback size of either brio or the celerio.
Old 29th April 2016, 22:27   #252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
It seems that the official website is not updated as Grandi10 Asta MT variant is discontinued.
Quote:
Thanks guys!
I checked again on their site. The e-brochure (pdf) talks about Asta (O) with ABS+2 Airbags. And adds a footnote that AT is available in Magna and Asta(O).

But I cant see their pricing data updated. Would be interesting to note what they are offering this at.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 09:16   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I checked again on their site. The e-brochure (pdf) talks about Asta (O) with ABS+2 Airbags. And adds a footnote that AT is available in Magna and Asta(O).

But I cant see their pricing data updated. Would be interesting to note what they are offering this at.
Going by the prices listed on the site, I would say the Asta (O) AT would be at 6.80 lacs for the solid colour option and 6.84 lacs for the metallic colours.

(That would peg it at around 8 lacs OTR or just over it in most places)

And by the same decree, Magna AT should be priced at 5.80 lacs (solid) and 5.84 lacs (metallic).

(OTR should be between 6.75-7 lacs)

All prices ex-showroom, Delhi.

If those are not the revised prices, and revised prices can only go northwards, then it would mean that it would end up being more pricey than the Brio VX AT.

If we are stretching our budgets for that, better to put in 60,000 rupees more and get the Baleno Zeta CVT - bigger car, larger in-cabin space, plenty of gizmos to play with, peppy engine, convenience and better FE of a CVT (as against a 4-speed TC), etc.

Depending upon availability, but of course.
Old 30th April 2016, 17:50   #254
BHPian

Quote:
I checked again on their site. The e-brochure (pdf) talks about Asta (O) with ABS+2 Airbags. And adds a footnote that AT is available in Magna and Asta(O)
Grandi10 is available in four trims as of now: Era, Magna, Sportz and Asta(o). AFAIK, Grandi10 LPG is available in Magna variant and AT available only in Asta(o) variant.
Old 30th April 2016, 18:27   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK, Grandi10 LPG is available in Magna variant and AT available only in Asta(o) variant.
Ampere is right.

The revamped brochure clearly states that the AT is available in both Magna & Asta(O) variants.

Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission-untitled.jpg

Also, it doesn't mention anywhere about the LPG variants. Seems like the 1.0L Kappa Dual VTVT LPG option has been discontinued.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks