Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2017, 16:08   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which automatic hatchback under 5 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post
Hello all,
My friend needs to buy an automatic hatch under 5 lakhs.

Please suggest a car keeping in mind the details mentioned above. Also, driving would be mostly in city with short weekend trips

With Regards,
Shreyas Kumar Agarwal
How about the Kwid 1.0 RXL AMT, should come in the budget. There is the Climber edition as well but I think its a bit above 5L
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 18:00   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post
Hello all,
My friend needs to buy an automatic hatch under 5 lakhs.

Requirements and details:
==============
My 2 cents is, if this is going to be his only car for the near future, his option zeroes down to the Alto Vxi AMT. Which is right above the 5lac mark. All other fully loaded ATs are going to cost close to 5.5 or above.

If you friend plans to buy a bigger car in future and use this car only for city commute, I would highly recommend the Nano AMT which is fully loaded with more features than the Alto and costs only 3.6l on road. Its a very good package for its price and gives ur friend a good saving which he might use for his next big car. It has good headroom and legroom and the cabin is extremely spacious considering its small dimensions.

Having a Nano AMT, I would really say its the most misunderstood car. Its no more the cheap car which it used to be. But still people raise their eyebrows when we say the nano costs more than 3.5lacs.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th August 2017 at 14:18. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
swami.n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 15:58   #378
BHPian

Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by visky View Post
The car that comes to my mind is Renault Quid 1L. It ticks most of the criteria that you have mentioned. it has a tall boy structure, It has AMT, fuel efficiency would be much better, it comes loaded with double din deck, power steering, driver side airbag, power windows, central locking.
Thanks for the advice. Kwid is at the top of his list right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
If so, then an increase in budget is inevitable. There is no car that fits all his criteria below 5 lakhs. You can ask him to check out the Kwid, but that is still not a proper tall boy. It's AMT too lacks manual mode & creep which are crucial features.

I would recommend Celerio, as WagonR AMT is not available in LXi trim. If he is ok with stretching by a lakh, then Celerio higher variants can be considered too.
He cannot extend his budget because it is already on a stretch. He is ready to compromise for the creep function and manual mode. Also, he is ok with the kwid's seating position.

He doesn't like the celerio that's why he is not considsring it. Also its resale value won't be much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
How about the Kwid 1.0 RXL AMT, should come in the budget. There is the Climber edition as well but I think its a bit above 5L
As mentioned above, the Kwid is seriously being considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
My 2 cents is, if this is going to be his only car for the near future, his option zeroes down to the Alto Vxi AMT. Which is right above the 5lac mark. All other fully loaded ATs are going to cost close to 5.5 or above.
If you friend plans to buy a bigger car in future and use this car only for city commute, I would highly recommend the Nano AMT which is fully loaded with more features than the Alto and costs only 3.6l on road. Its a very good package for its price and gives ur friend a good saving which he might use for his next big car. It has good headroom and legroom and the cabin is extremely spacious considering its small dimensions.
Having a Nano AMT, I would really say its the most misunderstood car. Its no more the cheap car which it used to be. But still people raise their eyebrows when we say the nano costs more than 3.5lacs.
This would be his only car that is why nano isn't being considered.Also, he does not want to buy the nano due to the over advertised philosophy of 'the cheapest car in the world'.

The alto is out of the list due to its low seating position.

With Regards,
Shreyas Kumar Agarwal

Last edited by Shreyas Agarwal : 28th June 2017 at 16:00.
Old 14th July 2017, 19:37   #379
Oxy
BHPian

Looking for some help in choosing an Automatic for the better half.

The usage will be for her daily office runs and the occasional out of the town trip, a monthly running of 800 odd kms.

Have booked the Baleno Zeta CVT as of now, but the wait is agonizing. Pondering over the following options:

1. Honda Amaze CVT: Appears to tick all the boxes, yet to test drive.
2. Honda Jazz CVT: Single digit FE in city, so not too keen on this.
3. Maruti Dzire AMT: Might get it earlier but it feels huge and less classier than Baleno.
4. Maruti Ciaz AT: 4-speed AT but still high on the list, not sure of the FE figures.

Rejected so far:

1. Tata Zest AMT: No creep feature.
2. Ford/VW ATs: DCT/DSG gearbox issues.
3. Hyundai Xcent AT: No ABS.
4. Hyundai i20 AT: Ridiculous price for the features offered.
5. Renault Duster CVT: Old car, single digit FE in city, zero star rating in crash tests.
6. Honda City V CVT: Costs Rs. 2.5 lakhs more than the equivalent manual variant.
7. Honda BRV CVT/Maruti Ertiga AT: Too huge for daily office runs.

Is there anything else that can be considered? Budget is around 10-12 lakhs at the most.

Last edited by Oxy : 14th July 2017 at 19:48.
Old 14th July 2017, 23:27   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post

Is there anything else that can be considered? Budget is around 10-12 lakhs at the most.
With the kind of budget you have, one thing is certain that you should go for a conventional AT and not the AMT.

Honestly, there are not too many options left with you having rejected a lot of them already. Honda Automatics are really good. I can say this having driven Honda Amaze from Mumbai to Pune once and it was a lovely experience. Almost zero rubber-band effect, superb performance and good FE(13.5 om the highway) as well.
May I also suggest Hyundai Grand i10 AT, as this has better value for the money you will pay plus you will end up saving around 4 lacs that you can spend later to buy an even more fun to drive car.
skyrocket003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 12:09   #381
BHPian

Quote:

You can look at Micra CVT, Nissan CVT are typically good and reliable.
arishi1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 08:40   #382

Quote:

Have booked the Baleno Zeta CVT as of now, but the wait is agonizing.

We'd booked the Baleno Zeta CVT, waited for 2 months. The showroom wasn't ready to commit to a delivery date. Then we got really fed up and booked the Figo Automatic.

This is where it gets interesting! When I called up the Nexa showroom to cancel my booking (the booking amount was refundable), they said they'll call back later to confirm the cancelation. When they called back they said they have the exact same variant we wanted in the exact colour that we needed and that the car will be delivered in 2 weeks!

This has happened to a lot of people I know, the showroom guys will hold u right up till your tipping point. So you could try this with your showroom. Might just work and you get to have the car you originally liked.
Nahushrc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 10:16   #383
Oxy
BHPian

Thanks guys. We have decided to wait for the Baleno as of now.
Old 25th July 2017, 17:20   #384
BHPian

I am looking for Automatic (AMT ) for my father. The car will be driven in Himachal so steep hills will be included. Occasional long drives (over 100 KM) will be there.

The reason for looking for AMT is that he is 65 years old and feels tired after drives of 50-100 KMs.

Looking for suggestions, right now Maruti Celerio comes to mind. He currently drives a Wagon R.
Old 27th July 2017, 21:27   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh.sml View Post
Looking for suggestions, right now Maruti Celerio comes to mind. He currently drives a Wagon R.
If your father is currently driving a wagonR and is comfortable with it, why not consider the WagonR AMT as well. Its the same setup except for the size difference of the cars and that Celerio comes with some additional features.
But overall drive-ability and experience is exactly the same.

Wanna consider something non-Maruti, Tiago AMT is also available.
Old 28th July 2017, 00:28   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh.sml View Post
He currently drives a Wagon R.
Since he currently drives Wagon R, I think he would be most comfortable in Ignis, considering the tallboy design and high seating. The 1.2 engine with added power should help further in the hills. Its more expensive than the Celerio but what you get (in Delta AMT) is a feature loaded car with most of the features your dad will need including safety features.
Old 22nd August 2017, 12:57   #387
BHPian

Been driving a 2014 Wagon R VXI. Work in Bangalore but family is in Chennai so drive down BLR - CHE atleast once or twice a month. The Wagon R has crossed 97000 kms in three years and has been extremely hassle free.

Now from January of this year have been looking out to buy a new car with a budget of around 10 lakhs tops.

Shortlisted the following in automatics :
A.Ignis Alpha AMT
B. Baleno Alpha/Zeta CVT
C.Jazz - 'V - CVT'

Non-automatics:
A. Brezza ZDI
B. Honda City 'S' variant as it comes to around 9.8 lakhs OTR Chennai.
C.WRV diesel base variant
D.SCROSS - Zeta - but it costs around 11 L onroad.

90 % of the time I would be alone in the car. The other ten % it would be just be my wife.

Anticipating atleast one BLR-CHE-BLR drive every month, can go up to two trips sometimes. Work-home-work in BLR is around 40 kms daily.

Would love a automatic this time.

Ignis - Petrol / Diesel Alpha AMT - Like it except for the rear end. The AMT in a short city test drive drove well and liked it. Concerned about the AMT longevity on using on extended highway drives / around 20-25k kms per year. Any concerns I need to look at if i want to use the car extensively in highways .Can i depend on the AMT not to leave me stranded on the highway. Also might sound silly but my colleagues say would not suit my Image if I drive it to work!!

Baleno - Costs 9.8 l ( CVT petrol ) vis 9 lakhs AMT diesel.

JAZZ - not too keen as missed out on features as compared to IGNIS/Baleno.

Confused big time whether I should buy the diesel auto AMT or the petrol CVT OR ditch both and buy a diesel non auto car- though would really like a Auto this time.

I would retain the car for max three years and am not worried too much about fuel costs.

Please let me know how I should go about the shortlisting and also I am not looking at POLO GT TSI as I am not confident on VW DSG reliability.

Thanks!
rajinibm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 16:13   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajinibm View Post

Shortlisted the following in automatics :
A.Ignis Alpha AMT
B. Baleno Alpha/Zeta CVT
C.Jazz - 'V - CVT'

Non-automatics:
A. Brezza ZDI
B. Honda City 'S' variant as it comes to around 9.8 lakhs OTR Chennai.
C.WRV diesel base variant
D.SCROSS - Zeta - but it costs around 11 L onroad

Thanks!
I think you are missing a really important contender from your list. The Dzire AMT Diesel seems to fit the bill perfectly. As you are also looking at the city a compact sedan does not look to be a bad compromise. The VDI Diesel AMT will easily be in your budget. Considering your running almost 2k per month I think a diesel will be a better choice compared to petrol. The ignis is a good car but it falls on space for a 9L car.

In the petrol AT segment I find the jazz cvt best. Even the S AT has all the essentials and can be had for 8-8.5L on road due to ongoing discounts. For 40km drive daily in banglore I feel you should only look at automatics although the city S is available at a tempting price.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 21:37   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajinibm View Post

90 % of the time I would be alone in the car. The other ten % it would be just be my wife.

Anticipating atleast one BLR-CHE-BLR drive every month, can go up to two trips sometimes. Work-home-work in BLR is around 40 kms daily.

Would love a automatic this time.
Oh man, you deserve an AT, considering you drive 40 kms in Bangalore on a daily basis.

Since you'll be the only one in the car, I think a large hatchback makes sense. Unless your requirements warrant it, don't buy a sedan. (City, Ciaz etc)

You've ruled out Jazz, so Baleno is the only one I'd recommend- i20 is simply not worth it. I've also been doing some reading and getting opinions- the Baleno CVT is wonderful if you're not the most aggressive driver.

Also, FE is wonderful- so you don't have to worry about it being a petrol AT.

From what I know, 12.5-14 kmpl is achievable in city. The CVT is sensitive to driving style and traffic conditions- an inherent characteristic, wouldn't call it a disadvantage. 16-18 kmpl in SH and 19-21 kmpl in multi lane highways.

Me and many BHPians hate the idea of the compact sedan- I won't recommend the Dzire diesel AMT.

I don't think there'll be too much confusion between the Baleno CVT and DZire AMT as you said that fuel costs don't matter. If you're confused between a CS and large hatch, post again when you're narrowed down your choice.

Quote:
I would retain the car for max three years and am not worried too much about fuel costs.
Why lose money on depreciation? Or is it a company policy?

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 22nd August 2017 at 21:44.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 12:44   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I think you are missing a really important contender from your list. The Dzire AMT Diesel seems to fit the bill perfectly. As you are also looking at the city a compact sedan does not look to be a bad compromise. The VDI Diesel AMT will easily be in your budget. Considering your running almost 2k per month I think a diesel will be a better choice compared to petrol. The ignis is a good car but it falls on space for a 9L car.
Totally missed out on the Dzire. Taking that into the list.It does command a three months waiting period though!Would take a test drive over the weekend.
Like the JAZZ and keeping it on the sidelines only for the pricing asked for viz features if I compare to Baleno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Oh man, you deserve an AT, considering you drive 40 kms in Bangalore on a daily basis.

I don't think there'll be too much confusion between the Baleno CVT and DZire AMT as you said that fuel costs don't matter. If you're confused between a CS and large hatch, post again when you're narrowed down your choice.

Why lose money on depreciation? Or is it a company policy?
The confusion between CVT and AMT is only looking at the long term reliability of the AMT as compared to a CVT which is considered more reliable.

Normally I max out a lakh of kms in about three years time and then have this physiological issue of thinking about a new car and not wanting to look at replacing parts post 1 lakh kms and I mostly do my drives starting from Chennai- Blr - che mostly late night so want to be sure on the cars reliability.

Last edited by rajinibm : 23rd August 2017 at 12:46.
rajinibm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed