Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2007, 17:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

thanks jaggu. that must have taken some time to do. BUt do you really feel that the indica could be rated overall even below the M800!!!

Last edited by gemithomas : 12th April 2007 at 17:13.
Old 12th April 2007, 17:20   #17
Team-BHP Support

ok if you say so. and those were my personal ratings and am not a 100% anti tata guy, i still feel its the best VFM total package.

i rated less seeing many a car crumbled after accidents. One example was in front of madiwala police station in bangalore till last week, another that hit my iKON rear end.

iKON had a torn bumper and tail light area moving in by an inch, indica had the whole front displaced (not cosmetics breaking and shattering which happened any ways) rather the alignment, am ready to discount this for the impact angle theory. Again this might be better crumple zone thing but not very confident seeing the shape of cars running around in bangalore.

Just now another one started skidding in front of the office with a touch of rain on the road when an alto at similar speed stopped without any fuss behind it. Maybe attribute this to driver but i feel starting from the tyres tata has compromised. Alto has puny tires but atleast car is lighter by few 100 kgs.

i dont admit that i have very authentic data on safety ratings and these were purely my observations, I MIGHT BE WRONG!!!
Old 12th April 2007, 17:28   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
thanks jaggu. that must have taken some time to do. BUt do you really feel that the indica could be rated overall even below the M800!!!
welcome and not at all, it was cut paste job, start with 5 stars for all and start deducting points.

I went one car at a time, never did compare the ratings and totaled only after i put all the individual ratings for all the cars.

Maybe you can do the same rating with your perception, as far as i know your judgments are spot on, including decision on adventure.

i admit i have a soft corner for 800, bloody thing is outdated, poor safety feature, but it goes on and on and on with very less maintanence and things going wrong which means alot to me in ownership experience.

I havent read the other requirements of yours in details, like prestige value if its a single car, defenitely dont think twice go for Xeta.

All the best
Old 12th April 2007, 17:42   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
another that hit my iKON rear end.

iKON had a torn bumper and tail light area moving in by an inch, indica had the whole front displaced (not cosmetics breaking and shattering which happened any ways) rather the alignment, am ready to discount this for the impact angle theory. Again this might be better crumple zone thing but not very confident seeing the shape of cars running around in bangalore.

Slightly OT:

And I've experienced life from the other side.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/390978-post103.html

On Topic:
The Xeta can take more abuse than the other 3. So if its semi-rural usage, I'd suggest the Xeta.

Why not a used Palio since you're a Fiat fan?
Old 12th April 2007, 17:58   #20
Team-BHP Support

hi hrag,

this was exactly what i was NOT referring to!!

it was more of structural damage, the car was bent towards one side not referring to the front fender but the part inside (dont know the exact term, cowl / side fire wall area) along with the fender, bumper that broke, lights were all fine.

Only reasoning that my car was not affected might be coz the impact was taken by the tow hook area at the back which is one of the strongest point i guess. and this car hit mine in a diagonal fashion. again i didn see this happen rather saw the cars after the incident.

again pointless justification happening, rate indica more on safety please.

would be great if someone can dig up some actual safety ratings, should be somewhere since the car is sold in other countries also.
Old 12th April 2007, 18:21   #21
BANNED

Jaggu, I'm not referring to safety or the lack of it on either the Ikon or the Indica. My post was simply a reference to my experience. I never intended to justify anything - hence the OT tag.

Until there are official safety ratings in India, we can all argue endlessly and meaninglessly about safety till the cows come home.

Or we could shut doors and hear reassuring thuds or thunks till we are tired of cliches.
Old 13th April 2007, 11:03   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
YES. The Adventure is doing really well. Thanks .
This is for one of my relatives. They have asked me to get them the best at this price. I think an AC would be needed so the santro can be chunked out. I think the AC version of the santro is way too high for this budget.
Now that we have the Santro ruled out, the war's between the Alto and Xeta. We have had some other members who have gone through a similar dilemma, and then come out with the Xeta on top. Considering they have done their research well, i believe it has to be the Xeta for you.

Alto is a fine car, although not very spacious on the inside. The Xeta scores over it in terms of space.
Old 13th April 2007, 11:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

thanks a lot for all the support. i guess most of you prefer the xeta over the others. I too seem to be bent towards the xeta. but can any owners comment on if they have faced any complaints. I am just worried whether it would need frequent service centre runs. i've heard that getting a tata is just like a lottery. you might end up getting a good one or you might just get into a whole lot of s .h. it!!!
Old 13th April 2007, 11:15   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

For the back-seat and semi-urban use, the Xeta would be best. But even the Alto is a fantastic product for the price; the only disadvantage being the cramped back seat. Your initial post does not clearly say whether its going to be personal driven or chauffeur-driven.

Test-drive both before taking your call.
Old 13th April 2007, 12:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Your initial post does not clearly say whether its going to be personal driven or chauffeur-driven.

Test-drive both before taking your call.
I think he clearly mentioned that it will be driven by a driver....

Abhi
Old 13th April 2007, 12:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i've heard that getting a tata is just like a lottery. you might end up getting a good one or you might just get into a whole lot of s .h. it!!!
Well there are about 15,000 people willing to take that lottery month after month, so its a rather debateable point.
Old 14th April 2007, 13:00   #27
BHPian

Xeta, if you like your chances in a lottery but as Steeroid said 15,000 per month take a chance and just pray that you are not the unlucky one!

or else Alto.

Another interesting point is that since you have just only bought your Adventure from the TATA guys, you can bargain more for Xeta! You can thank me later by giving your Adventure for a drive

P.S: My 100th post!

Last edited by arif_t01 : 14th April 2007 at 13:04.
Old 15th April 2007, 19:22   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arif_t01 View Post
Xeta, if you like your chances in a lottery but as Steeroid said 15,000 per month take a chance and just pray that you are not the unlucky one!

or else Alto.

Another interesting point is that since you have just only bought your Adventure from the TATA guys, you can bargain more for Xeta! You can thank me later by giving your Adventure for a drive

P.S: My 100th post!

Hah! Hah!. Sure arif. Where are you from?
Old 15th April 2007, 23:38   #29
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Semi urban use.... xeta...
BUT.. not going to be well maintained.... then maybe... Alto!
Old 16th April 2007, 05:35   #30
BHPian

go for the alto. its goa a quick pick up. 800 is gonna get phased out soon. u shud also check out the new spark. very spacious and feel good factor.

Most Viewed