Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2021, 17:20   #31

Re: Safe, reliable & fuss-free car for 12 lakhs?

I'd vote for Honda Amaze. I've done the research for a similar budgeted car, for my dad, who wants to retire the existing i20 and Amaze.

Why Amaze, it offers excellent value for money with peace of mind Honda Engineering.

I thought about all the options, stretching to a Honda City Gen 5. But then trading it off with price vs use/ safety, Amaze fits the bill.
nitro_pandit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 19:05   #32
BHPian

I think the Brezza / the Urban Cruiser satisfies all conditions, except the 6 airbags. Ownership is likely to be fuss-free, 4-star GNCAP rated and for added convenience, the AT can be owned for around 12.3 on-road. The transition from the high seating position of the Wagon R to a Brezza would be easier & more accommodating than a sedan (Yaris, Ciaz etc.)
jeetumg27 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 19:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
He's looking for a similar ownership experience as before but from a higher segment. Safety was never a priority when he last purchased a car but he is more aware of it now.
I had recommended the S-Cross and Nexon earlier, still do.
But I just wondered that while we are recommending crossovers as an upgrade, what about other(larger and better) hatchbacks ?

Saying this because today I drove a Tiago(2017) immediately after the WagonR(2016), that felt like a significant upgrade, seriously.
Just took me 2 mins to settle down in the relatively lower seat and gear position but the Tiago felt much better overall. I haven't experienced the Altroz but that should be even better and he can go for the 1.2NA if the turbo isn't needed and also save the money. They might not have 6 airbags but well built and proven safety creds.

I would like to update my recommendations to the following :
  • Tiago
  • Altroz
  • S-Cross
  • Nexon
  • XUV300 : like others have already mentioned, if he is ok with it, its brilliant.

Hope it helps
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 19:49   #34
BHPian

I would recommend the Toyota Yaris or the Honda City as both of these check all of the boxes and will give a fuss-free and reliable ownership.
Merc_Freak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 21:12   #35
Senior - BHPian

Would suggest the Ecosport. Fits the criteria perfectly. One of the safest cars at that budget, Easy to drive with high seting position, reliable and one of the cheapest to maintain. Except the back seat space for 3 full size adults, this is a "Can do it all " car.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 23:11   #36
BANNED

I would suggest Skoda Rapid or VW vento, when it comes to safety and structural rigidity, no one can beat Germans. German car parts are expensive side but you'll get what you pay for. Otherwise you may go for Toyota yaris. Basically it's an entry level sedan in Middle Eastern and European countries. There's nothing to highlight except Toyota's age old reliable engine.
hamhaj16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 05:30   #37
BHPian

Being a Wagon R owner, your friend must be hooked on to the high driving position and excellent visibility of the Wagon R. With that I would love to recommend either the Brezza from Maruti stable or if he wants an automatic fun to drive car either the Venue DCT or the Sonet D 6AT. Maruti Suzuki would be my first pick given the excellent reliability and after sales service.
CountMe91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 07:57   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Crossovers would generally work better if the ease of getting in / out is important. Low slung sedans or hatches would be difficult to get into or out of. With an elderly gentleman and mostly city usage, this may be an important consideration.
Couldn’t agree more. Those of us with older parents can attest to the importance of ease of ingress and exit. SUVs and crossovers are great in this regard.
The better road visibility is another great benefit.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 08:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

My top 3 picks:
1. Honda City (used)
2. Toyota Yaris (new or used)
3. Toyota Corolla (used)

If he wants the high seating, I’d say Nexon, XUV 300, and Brezza (in the order) are worth considering.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 08:41   #40
BHPian

We upgraded to a top end Tata Nexon AMT from a manza. The nexon is more safe, more nicer to drive and has more features . But we felt the manza was more comfortable and usable of the two despite the nexon being the more modern and expensive one.

For example, the manza can swallow 3-4 full size check-in bags. The nexon can hardly do two. The manza is very spacious in both the rows for oversized adults, the nexon may feel like a modern indica on steroids, comparatively speaking.

So please check from a usability perspective if the new car can replace a wagon R on all fronts. Ultimately if the new car doesn’t meet all of the user scenarios which are being expected from the current car, the owner may feel disappointed. Something for the new owner to set his expectations right.
TorqMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 09:33   #41
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys! In the end, the XUV300 was the perfect match! Great car - it's a brilliant little thing except for the miniscule boot.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 10:55   #42
BHPian

Right in the order:-
1. Skoda Rapid AT - Saftey top notch, AT so easy to drive, these come with almost 5-7 years of extended warranty and 4 yrs service packages to ease the ownership
2. Ecosport/Nexon/XUV300 - Reliability angle low in the XUV300 being a Mahindra, the supoort is good at the service centre but you will have to be at the service centre for one reason or another
3. KIA Sonet/Altriz/new i20 - AT version
M.Dua is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 11:36   #43
BHPian

Coming from a WagonR, I would naturally assume that getting in and out, overall visibility and ease of driving will be top criteria consciously or sub consciously.

Since the gentleman mentioned is old, I would suggest Brezza for its ease of drivability and familiarity. It will fall in place easily since it is an enlarged version of WagonR and will not be too much effort to get used to. As people have mentioned earlier, the 6 air bag feature would be missing.

WagonR is a difficult car to replace and no car seems to meet that comfort factor. Experience after having (and still in family) WagonR. If nothing meets the criteria and satisfaction, go for the new WagonR or the Ignis as last resort.
chinmaypillay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 13:13   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Thanks guys! In the end, the XUV300 was the perfect match! Great car - it's a brilliant little thing except for the miniscule boot.
Ask him to go for it. Superb car. It has been only 1300 km for me and I have driven it in B2B traffic, highways, hills with steep climbs and narrow roads. It drives effortlessly and especially on the expressway, it is a joy to drive.
Can't vouch for Mahindra service yet. First service done, the behavior and responsiveness were quite good but it isn't the right time to understand their capability.
SansGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 06:31   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aansh singhania View Post
Off topic but tata Nexon doesn't have 6 airbags I think you mean xuv 300 ?

My bad. Thanks. Nexon has only 2 airbags in the top model. Xuv 300 has them. Yes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks