Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2021, 12:41   #16
BHPian

re: A Maruti 800 replacement

Hi Vixit, I see many have already suggested Alto 800 here and they are correct. But if you can stretch you budget to 1 lakh more get the Eeco which comes with airbags and tons of space for doing farm duty. Its a beater car in this segment for around 4 lakhs INR starting and is a reliable car indeed.
Old 11th January 2021, 14:40   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A Maruti 800 replacement

With nearly 200km self driving on highways, and given his age & timings (since you mentioned the 800 broke down several times at night) - more than anything else, I'd push for something safer (which is the whole point of going through this ordeal).

If he's open to used, try and get a good Liva diesel : it's very easy to drive, amazingly frugal, and very reliable. He will take some time to adjust to the poorer visibility, but hopefully will get over it soon.

Also, have you thought of trading in the Amaze & 800 both for a better single car? Maybe a Ford Freestyle Diesel?
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 09:56   #18
BHPian

Re: A Maruti 800 replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I'd suggest a used Honda Brio. It'll be eons better in terms of comfort & refinement (& safety, I hope) compared to WagonR, Alto, S-Presso etc.
The brio would be the first car I'd look at too if we were going the pre owned route. I really want to go pre owned so that we get most car for the least amount of abuse from grandfather(money)

Pre-owned considerations
  1. Honda Brio
  2. Espresso Fully loaded model
  3. Etios Liva
  4. Tata Tiago

New car considerations
I hate to be even considering cars, choosing which would encourage unsafe models on our roads.
  1. Alto std
  2. Celerio
  3. Espresso base variant
Quote:
Sidenote: I've the highest respect & great admiration for your grandfather. No doubt he's been a great servant to the country. I want to be like him in terms of fixing my own machines and still farming at an old age. Wish him & your family the very best.
Thank you very much sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
S-Presso could be a good option.

- High ground clearance too for the farm runs.
- Higher seat height for ingress and egress, loading the boot and better all round visibility.

For anything safety rated you will have to stretch the budget to get the Tiago.

Used Liva diesel would be the best bet.
The man has driven a maruti 800 on the highway twice a week for the past ten years. I really want a safe car for him but he is simply not willing to spend anything on a new car at the moment. Convincing him for a safer car would be pointless. I will try again nonetheless because it's his safety we're talking about. I shall carry images of crash tests and accidents to illustrate how safe cars can help. I will convince my grandmother first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Hi Vixit, I see many have already suggested Alto 800 here and they are correct. But if you can stretch you budget to 1 lakh more get the Eeco which comes with airbags and tons of space for doing farm duty. Its a beater car in this segment for around 4 lakhs INR starting and is a reliable car indeed.
One of the most important aspect we need to consider is the size of the car, sir. He doesn't even want to use the honda amaze despite it being easily maneuverable. And size doesn't even matter on the highways because there's no bumper to bumper traffic at all. He is satisfied with his 800s capability as a tractor in the farm so an eeco would be touch to convince him of. will try for tiago. Nonetheless, thank you for the advice sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
With nearly 200km self driving on highways, and given his age & timings (since you mentioned the 800 broke down several times at night) - more than anything else, I'd push for something safer (which is the whole point of going through this ordeal).
That's where the Pre owned tiago comes in, but we're having a hard time trying to force him to drive anything but for his maruti 800.

Quote:
If he's open to used, try and get a good Liva diesel : it's very easy to drive, amazingly frugal, and very reliable. He will take some time to adjust to the poorer visibility, but hopefully will get over it soon.
Since they bought the amaze pre owned I'm hoping they wouldn't mind another pre-owned car. but the amaze turned out to be a disaster with more than a lakh spent to bring it back to shape. I hope it didn't discourage them from pre-owned deals in the future. I'll go check out the cars myself and make sure we don't get duped this time. Really hoping on a pre owned tiago or liva. especially that lovely trd sport one !

Quote:
Also, have you thought of trading in the Amaze & 800 both for a better single car? Maybe a Ford Freestyle Diesel?
We tried selling the car but my cousin insists on keeping it. It is not being cared for well either, but he wants to have a car for himself despite the disapproval of the family. Pre-owned ford seems like a good choice, I hadn't thought about it. We used to have a Fiesta (2007) , Beautiful car that we regret selling.
viXit is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks