Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2021, 11:46   #1
BHPian

A Maruti 800 replacement

Long long ago, when all that we'd get to see on the joke we used to call roads were padminis and ambassadors, my grandfather bought a Maruti 800. 18 years, 2.5 Lakh kms later, it's nearing the end of it's mechanical life.

The engine has been rebored once because of water poured in the oil filling hole, heat seized twice because it ran on a highway without coolant, all non-metallic parts were changed because they simply burned. And it's bumpers being held on with nails, It's what I'd describe as LeoShashi's worst nightmare.

It had three breakdowns in the past three months on the highway late in the night. Yet, my grandfather is stubborn on using it. He's a Flight engineer by weekdays and a farmer by weekends, the farms are 200 odd kms or two toll booths away from home.

They bought a pre owned 2013 amaze. But it's relatively low mileage( fuel efficiency) and size (larger than the 800) are the reasons my grandfather gives to not use the car. We need a good replacement for this one that we can convince him of. He carries several rice bags and Bags full of farm supplies and produce in his maruti. So literally any car would be an upgrade for him, Just need to convince him of it.

Since it's a maruti replacement the budget is going to be sub 3 Lakhs at max. But for the sake of comparing let's say 4. He wouldn't be willing to spend anything because he doesn't want a car at all. But the family is concerned for his safety and that of my grandmother who occasionally accompanies him on the trips.

Pls help. I'm failing to convince him that anything car replace his 800. I need a car and reasons that car justify it more than anything to him.

Last edited by viXit : 10th January 2021 at 11:48.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 12:02   #2
BHPian

re: A Maruti 800 replacement

I would say if possible stretch your budget to 5.5-6 lacs and get a WagonR Lxi opt or Vxi.Since the Wagon R is a spacious car, it can take a lot of luggage inside. And being a Maruti it will be reliable. If you are open to the pre owned market then you have endless choices. But since it will be used by your grandpa, I'd suggest extending your budget and opting for a WagonR.
saikishor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 13:01   #3
BHPian

I think your ideal choice would be a WagonR LXI 1.0. Cheap to maintain, easy to drive, comfortable to get into and out of, fuel efficient and ultra reliable. It would also be a good idea to wait just a little more, the all new Alto and Celerio are just around the corner, and seem to be good options for replacing an old M800.
Today, one has to spend a minimum of 4.5-5 lakhs to buy a really basic car. I don’t think there are any sub- 4 lakh cars available any longer. (With AC, that is.)
If he doesn’t really use the Amaze, I would suggest that he gets rid of both, the Amaze as well as the M800.

Now for the convincing part, you can try the following:

1. With these COVID times, it may not be a good idea to visit a car dealership, but you can always show him what new small cars offer through the Team-BHP official reviews. You can even call home a couple of test drive cars. Seeing what new cars offer, he may get convinced.

2. Try to explain to him the importance of ABS and airbags. Show how much of a difference they make in terms of occupant safety. Also show him a new car vs old car crash test to show the improvement in terms of cabin intrusion.

3. 18 years or 2.5 lakh Km is just about the end of the useful life of a vehicle. Try to make him understand that it is just not possible to depend on a car like this, especially given its history of engine rebuilds.

4. This will only work if he’s keen on saving the planet. Show him some statistics and figures about what a difference a clean new BS6 will make in terms of emissions as compared to an old M800.

5. Lastly, since the car is 18 years old, I am assuming that it has had an FC renewal at the 15 year mark. Now, it will require one again at 20, for which it will have to pass the fitness test. For this, it will require extensive work. Rather than getting into messy RTO work and repairs, it’s better to just get a new car. We all know how much of a pain can it be to deal with the bureaucracy involved in renewing an old car’s documents.

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 10th January 2021 at 13:09.
Sanidhya mukund is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 13:12   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
size (larger than the 800) are the reasons my grandfather gives to not use the car.

Since it's a maruti replacement the budget is going to be sub 3 Lakhs at max.
In my opinion, your grandfather would be comfortable in a car which is similar in size to Maruti 800. Looking at the requirements I would suggest Alto STD(O) which comes with 2 airbags and ex-showroom price in Hyderabad is 3.04 lacs.
Simhi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 16:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think you can not convince him in a big bang approach. The moment you talk about 1-2 lakhs more, he will immediately negate. Here customer requirement is, cost cannot exceed and he has contentment with the current car.

So, my approach would be(experiment only)
1. Explain him the current issues and issues that may arise in future with the current car.
2. Talk about a used maruti 800 with recent years(say 4-5 years) with a extended budget of 40-50 k only(not beyond that)
3. Once he is ok for this, sell your car.
4. Search for a good maruti 800 only with the budget range.
5. If you really get a good deal, go with it. Finally, it is his heart that needs to be satisfied.
6. If he doesn't get good deal or car, then you can look out for other options
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 18:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

With seniors used to the 800, width might be an important factor. In that case Alto is the only one which comes closest to the experience and also in terms of price.

If he is open to other options do consider the Tiago for safety but I doubt that being selected due to the price and probably too big of a change but I am just guessing here.

Last edited by shancz : 10th January 2021 at 18:45. Reason: typo
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 18:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... He carries several rice bags and Bags full of farm supplies and produce in his maruti. So literally any car would be an upgrade for him, Just need to convince him of it.

Since it's a maruti replacement the budget is going to be sub 3 Lakhs at max. But for the sake of comparing let's say 4. He wouldn't be willing to spend anything because he doesn't want a car at all. But the family is concerned for his safety and that of my grandmother who occasionally accompanies him on the trips.
Logic suggests several better alternatives, but looking at your predicament, the Alto would perhaps be the best.

Cheap, easy to maintain and almost the same as the M 800, perhaps a little better than that.
honeybee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 20:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

How about a crooked approach? Deliberately mess something in the current car and ask a known mechanic to quote an exorbitant amount to fix the issue. That will hopefully take care of the selling part.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 21:43   #9
BHPian

An Alto is a no brainer choice. The latest ones have airbags and ABS+EBD too and are decently equiped with A/c, stereo system, power windows etc.
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 22:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pls help. I'm failing to convince him that anything car replace his 800.
If I were you I'll let your grandmother do the convincing part. And I wouldn't move forward with a purchase unless that's done.

Gentlemen of my father's generation have grown up fixing and using vehicles for decades. Selling simply isn't in their vocabulary no matter how expensive the repairs are .

Just to give an example: My father didn't give up riding his '92 KB 4S until an accident knocked it out of service in its 26th year, it probably had every part changed and overhauled multiple times during its lifetime.
narayans80 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 22:44   #11
BHPian

New- Alto, Kwid
Used but close to 4 lakhs- Tiago 2017 models which still have a 1 year company warranty left, WagonR, Eeco
Less than 2 lakhs- Eeco, first or second gen WagonR, Estilo, Santro Xing.

If CNG or LPG is available in your area you can explore the omes with company fitted kits. They are reliable, safe and very cheap to run.
Old 10th January 2021, 22:57   #12
BHPian

Everyone, thank you so much for the inputs. We shall look into the cars suggested, great help you all have done us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
I would say if possible stretch your budget to 5.5-6 lacs and get a WagonR Lxi opt or Vxi.Since the Wagon R is a spacious car, it can take a lot of luggage inside
thank you for the reply sir. but The budget already mentioned is also going to be quite hard to convince him of, since he doesn't want it, otherwise I was also leaning pretty heavily on the wagonR. I love the new one. But sadly cannot :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
I think your ideal choice would be a WagonR LXI 1.0. Cheap to maintain, easy to drive, comfortable to get into and out of, fuel efficient and ultra reliable. It would also be a good idea to wait just a little more, the all new Alto and Celerio are just around the corner, and seem to be good options for replacing an old M800.
Today, one has to spend a minimum of 4.5-5 lakhs to buy a really basic car. I don’t think there are any sub- 4 lakh cars available any longer. (With AC, that is.)
If he doesn’t really use the Amaze, I would suggest that he gets rid of both, the Amaze as well as the M800.
That's what we want to do but my cousin insists on keeping the amaze for himself so it isn't going anywhere soon and my grandfather doesn't want to drive it too.
Quote:
Now for the convincing part, you can try the following:
Sir, we have tried each and everything you have mentioned but to no avail. yes sir, The car is on my father's name, so he had gotten the car's registration extended at the 15 year mark a while ago.

I really see eye to eye regarding your reasoning for your suggestion but he is so used to the flaws and compromises of the maruti 800 that it is his definition of COMFORT now. I think we might wait to see how the prices for the alto and celerio pan out as you suggested. Thank you for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
In my opinion, your grandfather would be comfortable in a car which is similar in size to Maruti 800. Looking at the requirements I would suggest Alto STD(O) which comes with 2 airbags and ex-showroom price in Hyderabad is 3.04 lacs.
What?! that's GOOD news! I really didn't count on many options. I think we might have a winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I think you can not convince him in a big bang approach. The moment you talk about 1-2 lakhs more, he will immediately negate. Here customer requirement is, cost cannot exceed and he has contentment with the current car.
absolutely true sir.

Quote:
So, my approach would be(experiment only)
1. Explain him the current issues and issues that may arise in future with the current car.
done that sir but it isn't helping at all.
Quote:
2. Talk about a used maruti 800 with recent years(say 4-5 years) with a extended budget of 40-50 k only(not beyond that)
3. Once he is ok for this, sell your car.
4. Search for a good maruti 800 only with the budget range.
5. If you really get a good deal, go with it. Finally, it is his heart that needs to be satisfied.
6. If he doesn't get good deal or car, then you can look out for other options
I have him convinced that a carb car is a pain to maintain these days with no mechanic possesing the skill set to do a proper repair. Was really thinking of a mpfi maruti 800 as a replacement. That is Plan B if alto won't happen. Since the maruti is going to give up either today or tomorrow. It won't be long. It's definitely on it's last legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Logic suggests several better alternatives, but looking at your predicament, the Alto would perhaps be the best.

Cheap, easy to maintain and almost the same as the M 800, perhaps a little better than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
An Alto is a no brainer choice. The latest ones have airbags and ABS+EBD too and are decently equiped with A/c, stereo system, power windows etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
With seniors used to the 800, width might be an important factor. In that case Alto is the only one which comes closest to the experience and also in terms of price.

If he is open to other options do consider the Tiago for safety but I doubt that being selected due to the price and probably too big of a change but I am just guessing here.
No, you are absolutely right, we had looked at the tiago briefly and loved it, but he wouldn't be willing to make the switch because of how big and different it is. alto might be the best replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
How about a crooked approach? Deliberately mess something in the current car and ask a known mechanic to quote an exorbitant amount to fix the issue. That will hopefully take care of the selling part.
I truly wish I could do that Problem is, he's an extremely proficient engineer who even served during the Kargil war and made many aircraft fly after fixing them with truly ingenious solutions when they were deemed unfit and grounded. He knows so much about all these machines that it's simply impossible to bluff him. That's part of the reason it's so hard to convince him. He's stubborn because it's all A, B ,C for him these machines. He's pushing close to 75 but refuses to retire. Still working at the airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
New- Alto, Kwid
Used but close to 4 lakhs- Tiago 2017 models which still have a 1 year company warranty left, WagonR, Eeco
Less than 2 lakhs- Eeco, first or second gen WagonR, Estilo, Santro Xing.

If CNG or LPG is available in your area you can explore the omes with company fitted kits. They are reliable, safe and very cheap to run.
I shall try to push for the pre-owned route but it's not likely that will happen. Looks like it will be an alto. People in the house would like to stick to the tried and tested maruti. (loyalty) Thank you for the help sir. He would require the boot space so cng wouldn't be an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
If I were you I'll let your grandmother do the convincing part. And I wouldn't move forward with a purchase unless that's done.
That's why I asked teamBHP. Truly amazing solution I didn't even think of. I should convince my grandmother first. Thank you for this gem,sir! going to talk to her ASAP.

Quote:
Gentlemen of my father's generation have grown up fixing and using vehicles for decades. Selling simply isn't in their vocabulary no matter how expensive the repairs are .
Yes, Indeed!!
Quote:
Just to give an example: My father didn't give up riding his '92 KB 4S until an accident knocked it out of service in its 26th year, it probably had every part changed and overhauled multiple times during its lifetime.
Exactly the story with our car. it's had everything repaired and tweaked/overhauled because of the number of failures in the car. I hope it doesn't have to come to an accident to put it out of service.

Last edited by viXit : 10th January 2021 at 23:00.
viXit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 09:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

I understand his point of view, I am/will be probably the same if I hit that age. Retirement is boring, you should be 100% operational till the last.

That grandmother advice was a gem.

IMO it should either be the Alto or the Tiago. He will be even more impressed by the engineering on the Tiago as an owner.

Good Luck.

Last edited by shancz : 11th January 2021 at 10:04. Reason: grammar
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 10:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest a used Honda Brio. It'll be eons better in terms of comfort & refinement (& safety, I hope) compared to WagonR, Alto, S-Presso etc. He should be able to fold the rear seat and carry his farm equipment/produce.

Sidenote: I've the highest respect & great admiration for your grandfather. No doubt he's been a great servant to the country. I want to be like him in terms of fixing my own machines and still farming at an old age. Wish him & your family the very best.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 10:28   #15
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

S-Presso could be a good option.

- High ground clearance too for the farm runs.
- Higher seat height for ingress and egress, loading the boot and better all round visibility.

For anything safety rated you will have to stretch the budget to get the Tiago.

Used Liva diesel would be the best bet.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks