Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2021, 15:12   #1
BHPian

Confused between the Tata Tigor & Altroz. EDIT: Booked Tigor

Hi all!

This is my first thread here at Team-Bhp after being a regular visitor for over a decade and finally getting my membership on 24th of October 2020.
One of my favorite thread here is GTO’s http://https://www.team-bhp.com/foru...rade-swap.html and we seriously follow it to the brim.

Infact, the longest running car in the house is our 15 year old Wagon R F10D that we are still thinking of retaining, after all it was my Grandfather’s car. In average we keep our cars for atleast 10 years before thinking of changing it.

Background:

Maruti Wagon R F10D

It’s a 2006 Wagon-R Lxi F10D run 65000kms till date. It’s fitted with 4 door Power Windows, Central locking and gear lock from RD, Sony single din Stereo, 2 Sony 4inch coaxial and 2 Sony 6x9s.
Parts changed till date are Brake booster with master cylinder, rear shock absorbers with bushes, front struts and stabilizer bar bushes in 2018. Heck, we changed the original clutch last week after 15 years of usage. All the parts are changed from Mahindra True Value outlet.

Parts that require change are steering box bushes, front suspension arm, sump and engine cover/head gasket and a few rust spots under the engine bay. Also the registration is to be renewed next month.

Confused between the Tata Tigor & Altroz. EDIT: Booked Tigor-waggy.jpeg

Hyundai i10 irde

It’s a 2009 i-10 Era Irde run 81000kms. Only accessories fitted are central locking from the showroom and Sony single din stereo with Sub-woofer control, 2 Pioneer Coaxial upfront and 2 Sony Coaxial at the back.
Parts changed till date are water pump twice in 2015 and 2019, clutch set in 2017. All the works are done from Hyundai service center. It also had a full body repaint (except roof and boot door) in November because of a small accident and several old scratches all around.

The only repair pending is steering box bushings that needs to be changed and is still pending for over 3 years as ASS is not providing steering box rebuild. I have got the bushes from Boodmo for Rs.588 and will get it done from Mahindra First Choice next month.

Confused between the Tata Tigor & Altroz. EDIT: Booked Tigor-i10.jpeg

Reason for change:

As both of our cars are above 10 years of age and because of the present awareness for safer cars, we want to replace any one of the two with a safe (At least 4 Star) for highways and the other one will be retained for city duties and errands.

Upgrade Criteria:
  • 1. Must have atleast 4 star GNCAP rating.
    2. Standard Safety features of 2 Airbag, ABS, EBD etc.
    3. Ex-showroom price of 6 lakhs
    4. 4 Power Windows
    5. Good sounding stock stereo (Touch Screen is not a must) with 4 speakers
    6. Good rear seat space and a generous boot.

Cars Shortlisted:
  1. TATA TIGOR XM
It was our first choice and we have almost finalized the booking for this in white color but it all changed after having a test drive of the Altroz. The XM have all the features that we need, only thing that will be missed is remote central locking that we can have as a genuine accessories (Rs.4000) from the dealership. Also the initial pickup is felt a little bit better in this than the Altroz.
  1. TATA ALTROZ XE Rhytm
It was never in our thought as we were thinking of a compact sedan, but once I test drove it back to back after the Tigor, I was blown away by the space and premium feel. Also the insulation and high speed stability is better in this it seems. Now the variant that I want is XM+ but its way out of our budget. We can easily stretch to XM variant but it doesn’t make sense paying 60K more over XE Rhythm only for rear power windows (which hardly cost 7000-8000 from genuine accessories), Electric adjust for the ORVMs and rear parcel tray(Rs.1700 from genuine accessories) and that too with 2 less speakers and no remote central locking. Whereas XE Rhythm is providing 4 speakers and remote flip key.

Request your valuable suggestions on which of our existing rides to exchanged and for which TATA car.
DevOnWheels is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 21:32   #2
BHPian

re: Confused between the Tata Tigor & Altroz

Regarding your existing garage, I would say retain the i10 and sell the WagonR. The i10 is newer, safer, requires lesser amount of work, you wouldn’t have to worry about document renewals for the next 4 years and the fact that it is a generation ahead of the WagonR in terms of technology, so it feels more current.

Regarding the new car purchase, here’s what I can think of:

Altroz-

Advantages
-New, Fresh product. Will be relevant for at least the next 5-7 years.
- One star more than the Tigor in the crash test.
-The practicality of folding rear seats.
-Slightly more spacious cabin, wider rear seats and flat floor.

Disadvantages-
-People who own the lower variants of the Altroz with manual AC have reported some issues with the airflow direction, wherein the AC blows cold air towards the feet even when the setting is to divert air towards the face.
-Some owners of Altroz petrol have reported issues with the 2nd gear.
-You’ll have to get electrical fittings done at the dealership. Agreed that they give warranty, but there’s nothing like factory fit.
-Some people find the ride quality to be a bit firm.

Tigor-

Advantages-
-Larger boot space.
-Tried and tested product with most niggles ironed out by now.
-Easier to drive, thanks to the slimmer pillars and resultant better visibility.

Disavantages-
-It is based on the Tiago, which is already 5 years old in the market. I would expect an all new model to be out within the next couple of years, in which case, it will start feeling outdated. Also the fact that the Tigor is a FLOP in terms of sales might affect some. (thought the Tiago is a decent seller)
- One less NCAP star and UNSTABLE body shell.
-Limited cabin width at the rear. Seating 3 abreast can get a little uncomfortable.

Thus, the Altroz is a modern, good looking, safe, comfortable and spacious car, but might have a few teething issues. The Tigor is a relatively risk free choice, but only marginally, and it tends to lose out on the desirability factor. Also, I am sure Tata will soon find solutions to these issues, which aren’t very major in the first place. Even the Honda Amaze had a few niggles when it had been launched, which were subsequently fixed.
Based on this, I would personally pick the Altroz.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 22:02   #3
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I was going to advise you to stretch for the Altroz XM+ but since that is already ruled out, I would suggest the Altroz XE with rhythm package due to its better safety and premium interiors.

With that being said, since you are able to accommodate the Altroz XM in your budget, how about getting the Tigor XZ? It costs only 10k more than the Altroz XM and with discounts which prevail for the Tigor, it might actually turn out to be cheaper than the Altroz XM.

The Tigor XZ offers a lot of features like start stop button, a non touchscreen Harman infotainment and a very important feature- steering mounted controls, which is not just a convenience feature but an important safety feature as well.

It seems like you are more inclined towards the Altroz but IMO the Tigor XZ shall be the best of both worlds combining the feel good features (which ultimately adds to the overall ownership experience) at a very decent price.
AYP is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 22:13   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Adding to AYP's points. Tigor, if you can. Additional space in the boot is always helpful - you cant add it later. Try upsize the tyres to next width if you can - that's the one thing that always comes for me when I look at the Tigor.
condor is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 22:33   #5
BHPian

Altroz is a more refined product. However, the boot in the Tigor is more practical for long trips. If buying used is an option, you can easily get a good Nexon which still has a few years of warranty left.

Adding to your dilemma- you could explore the Nissan Magnite. It is spacious and has sold in large numbers, so spares won't be an issue. It also got a 4 star rating at the Asean ncap recently.
Cessna182 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 23:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund
Regarding your existing garage, I would say retain the i10 and sell the WagonR. The i10 is newer, safer, requires lesser amount of work, you wouldn’t have to worry about document renewals for the next 4 years and the fact that it is a generation ahead of the WagonR in terms of technology, so it feels more current.
We are also thinking of retaining the i10, but the emotional attachment with the Waggy and since it's easier on the pocket in terms of parts cost is making us think before selling it.

Quote:
-People who own the lower variants of the Altroz with manual AC have reported some issues with the airflow direction, wherein the AC blows cold air towards the feet even when the setting is to divert air towards the face.
I asked the same to my Sales Executive and he acknowledged the same. He said that it was there in the first few lots and has been rectified during service and new models are not having this issue anymore. He also informed that some cars of the 1st few lots also had the compressor replaced via recalls.

Quote:
-You’ll have to get electrical fittings done at the dealership. Agreed that they give warranty, but there’s nothing like factory fit.
I am okay with getting the rear power window fitted from the dealership but the box that they put for placing the switch looks cheap and ugly. Exploring parts catalogue of higher models to check if stock PW switches can be installed. Also, rear PW kit is not available presently at the dealership and they expecting to get it within a few months.

Quote:
-It is based on the Tiago, which is already 5 years old in the market. I would expect an all new model to be out within the next couple of years, in which case, it will start feeling outdated. Also the fact that the Tigor is a FLOP in terms of sales might affect some. (thought the Tiago is a decent seller)
It is my main concern with the Tigor as since it's not as good a seller than rest of its siblings, it may be axed a few years down the line. Also, since we will retain it atleast for 10 years, this might be an issue at a later stage.

Quote:
- One less NCAP star and UNSTABLE body shell.
Although the body shall is unstable as per NCAP, but after seeing multiple accident photos and videos, I think it should be okay in real world conditions. Still Altroz is a superior vehicle in terms of the platform and body structure.

Quote:
-Limited cabin width at the rear. Seating 3 abreast can get a little uncomfortable.
Visiting the showroom tomorrow with family, will compare the rear width between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
With that being said, since you are able to accommodate the Altroz XM in your budget, how about getting the Tigor XZ? It costs only 10k more than the Altroz XM and with discounts which prevail for the Tigor, it might actually turn out to be cheaper than the Altroz XM.
Thanks for the suggestion, will definitely look into the XZ pricing.

Quote:
It seems like you are more inclined towards the Altroz but IMO the Tigor XZ shall be the best of both worlds combining the feel good features (which ultimately adds to the overall ownership experience) at a very decent price
We were definite about the Tigor, but after having a test drive of the Altroz day before yesterday, we are confused between the two.

Its a decision between Head Vs Heart!
Head says get the Tigor XM
Heart says get the Altroz XE Rhytm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Adding to AYP's points. Tigor, if you can. Additional space in the boot is always helpful - you cant add it later. Try upsize the tyres to next width if you can - that's the one thing that always comes for me when I look at the Tigor.
As I already said we were 200% final about Tigor XM before I test drove the Altroz the day before yesterday. Will look for tyre upgrade once the stock set of tyres run out along with 16 inch alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Altroz is a more refined product. However, the boot in the Tigor is more practical for long trips. If buying used is an option, you can easily get a good Nexon which still has a few years of warranty left.
Although I will be very delighted to get a used Nexon/XUV300, but family is no no about used car now. May be I can convince them later on during our 2nd vehicle upgrade.

Quote:
Adding to your dilemma- you could explore the Nissan Magnite. It is spacious and has sold in large numbers, so spares won't be an issue. It also got a 4 star rating at the Asean ncap recently.
Magnite is not a choice as only the 1.0 Non turbo XL is coming in our budget, and I don't think it will be sufficient for a 1000+kg car with 5 passengers and luggage. Also since it will be primarily used on highways the 1.0 NA engine is insufficient. I contacted Nissan for a test drive, but they only have a 1.0 Turbo CVT available. They are like "Sir it's all same, just have a test drive of this and book your Non Turbo XL" It's like having a test drive after buying it. Also waiting period is 3 months. And service is also an issue in this part of the country as there aren't a lot of service centres available.

Last edited by vb-saan : 31st January 2021 at 06:39. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use edit/multi-quote options when posting back-to-back. Thanks!
DevOnWheels is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 23:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

One other point to think about: Lower variant of next segment or higher variant of lower segment. Do also look at the features which you have in your wanted list. The Tigor design may be 5 years old, but dont think tooo much about that as long as you are comfortable with how it handles. But if you think safety rating is more important and features manageable, then Altroz. If Turbo then check delivery times.
condor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 23:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevOnWheels View Post

Upgrade Criteria:
  • 1. Must have atleast 4 star GNCAP rating.
    2. Standard Safety features of 2 Airbag, ABS, EBD etc.
    3. Ex-showroom price of 6 lakhs
    4. 4 Power Windows
    5. Good sounding stock stereo (Touch Screen is not a must) with 4 speakers
    6. Good rear seat space and a generous boot.

Cars Shortlisted:
  1. TATA TIGOR XM
  1. TATA ALTROZ XE Rhytm

Request your valuable suggestions on which of our existing rides to exchanged and for which TATA car.
The Tigor will beat the Altroz in the space department hands down.

For a family car that will be used for highways and outstation trips, there's really no comparison between the the two.

So I would suggest the Tigor over Altroz for the upgrade.
honeybee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 09:37   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As I already said we were 200% final about Tigor XM before I test drove the Altroz the day before yesterday. Will look for tyre upgrade once the stock set of tyres run out along with 16 inch alloys.
Make a chart between the two, sort it as per your priority. See which one scores higher. Add a dash of desire value

btw, regarding the tyres, try to talk to a local shop for exchange of new tyres. This way for a small exchange charge, you can get the wider tyres straight away. Alloys can be added later. The stock rims should easily take a +10 mm wider tyre. For both my last 2 new purchases - the Ikon and the Storme, I swapped my tyres immediately after delivery. The Storme first went for a tyre swap before the pooja You can get better ride and grip right from the start this way, instead of waiting for that 40000 km.
condor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 13:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The Tigor will beat the Altroz in the space department hands down.
The Altroz is a more spacious car in terms of width and rear leg room, but the Tigor have a larger boot.

Quote:
Make a chart between the two, sort it as per your priority. See which one scores higher. Add a dash of desire value
Will surely do that. Family members will be going to the showroom today to have a look at both. Will prepare the chart and do a on paper comparo after that.
Regarding the tyre upgrade, will definitely keep that in mind.
DevOnWheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 16:32   #11
BHPian

Had a test drive with family yesterday of both the vehicles. Everyone is confused now between the two. Also TATA increased the price of Tigor by 10500 and Altroz XE Rhytm by 16000. Showroom will give their best quotation and exchange price tomorrow. Hopefully will book any one of the two in white colour tomorrow. Also, had a discussion with TATA Motors Regional Sales Manager and me being a TATA Group employee will get additional corporate discount.
DevOnWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 19:41   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Had a test drive with family yesterday of both the vehicles. Everyone is confused now between the two.
I think you would have read the reviews of the Altroz Turbo, and the comparison with the NA. Combined with the employee discount, can you try get the Altroz turbo instead ?
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 20:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I think you would have read the reviews of the Altroz Turbo, and the comparison with the NA. Combined with the employee discount, can you try get the Altroz turbo instead ?
Only 2500 employee discount in Altroz.. Negative effect of being a higher seller.
DevOnWheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 20:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

But the Altroz eyes closed. The Altroz is a much more successful car and will retain its value well in the resale market (compared to Tigor)

Also, the boot difference between an Altroz and Tigor will be barely a suitcase.

It has way too many advantages over the Tigor, which you will sacrifice for that one suitcase space for occasional use.
2000rpm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 19:09   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Confused between the Tata Tigor & Altroz. EDIT: Booked Tigor

Always buy the superior car, irrespective of features or in this case, the boot. Pack lighter, but buy the Altroz. It is a vastly superior car to the Tigor.

In fact, I will go one step further and tell you to choose the new turbo-petrol. Now, that will be at an entirely different level. One life to live, might as well turbocharge it . The price premium of the turbocharger over the NA on a 5-year loan will barely be 1000 odd bucks / month.

You guys are okay with driving 10-year old cars (as I am too). The Altroz turbo-petrol will keep you happier over 10 years than a Tiago or Altroz NA. Trust me, in the larger scheme of things, 60 grand doesn't make a difference at all.
GTO is offline   (34) Thanks

Most Viewed