Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2007, 12:58   #1

Getz 1.1/1.3 or Swift?

Guys,

I need a big help here . I have been wondering about buying a car for some time now and have test driven from maruti alto to ford ikon. I have finally narrowed down to Getz 1.1 and Swift. My daily commute will be around 35-40kms and mostly in city that too Bangalore.

Getz :My first impression from the new Getz is that though the car is underpowered with a tuned Santro engine at high gears, its very torquey at low gears (max torque coming at 3200rpm) and also the suspension is tooo good. These make it ideal for Bangalore bumper to bumper traffic and pathetic roads. Also space wise, its massive. Though the interior quality seems to have taken a fall, with cheap dashboard plastics and rough edges around the plastics.

Swift: Well, the best thing was the handling and driveability. I found the car very responsive and eager. Though the space is a let down here and suspensions , being sporty, are very stiff. It was like driving my bike. I can feel each and every small bumps. Though overall, swift makes a good pacakge .

Getz GLE (OTR BLR)-4.48L Swift LXi (OTR)- 4.37L
Getz GVS(OTR)-4.86L Swift VXi (OTR)- 4.69L

Now comes the difficult part. As I will be keeping the car for atleast 5yrs and will be driven both by me & my wife. I need to know, before deciding , is how much is the running cost for these vehicle. I mean the FE in city and spare parts or service quality...Since for getz its the santro engine and heavy body, i m expecting it to be slightly less than Santro.. Also, esp the BLR guys, can you tell me which MUL or Hyundai dealer is good in service. Long termers, please help me on this.

Thanks,
Piyush
Old 18th April 2007, 15:03   #2
BHPian

Its quite a no brainer here. Except for maybe the ride quality and space, the Swift trounces the Getz 1.1 comprehensively,be it VFM quotient, fuel efficiency,performance,handling,driveability,air conditioning.Spares are almost equally priced for the two.Service quality is on par as well.

But think about it.A bigger engine will always be more economical in the long run than a small engine in a big car-both fuel efficiency and reliability wise.You will have to work that 1.1 engine really hard most of the times in traffic and on highways as well.Take this test-put in 5 full sized adults,turn on the a/c and then take the two cars on a test drive.Try overtaking at high speeds and try climbing a gradient.The Swift should would do much better.

So the Swift will be the better package for you as well as your wife IMO.And the best part is,the better car comes cheaper!

Last edited by roms : 18th April 2007 at 15:11.
Old 18th April 2007, 15:16   #3
BHPian

I currently own both a Getz 1.3 GLS and a Swift ZXI. If you have only one car and will need to use it to carry around stuff the Getz wins.
Even with the 1.3 engine and 83 BHP it seems sluggish but it is very good to drive around in the city. It is a relaxed vehicle with very little sporty appeal to it. Read the review of the 1.1 on this site and you will feel the need for power. Test drive the 1.3 as well.

I bought the Swift last week and havnt used it too much but it definitely has a much sportier ride. Boot Space wise it is much smaller than the Getz and the rear seats do not split. It is the better looker (more radical) of the two. Interior space for rear passengers may be a tad smaller than the getz but for front passengers it is equal to the Getz.

Drive both and just blindly pick ...both are really good cars.
Old 18th April 2007, 15:24   #4

Thanks Guys...
I am again going today for the test drives along with my wife and this time letting my wife pick out...hopefully, the lady luck works out...
Old 18th April 2007, 15:27   #5
BANNED

getz all the way since its much newer and white swifts are competing with autos everywhere.
Old 18th April 2007, 15:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Had the Getz 1.1 been placed at about 3.8 L OTR, i would have recommended it over Swift.
Since its not, i would say Swift definitely makes more sense here.
However, in the end, go by what your heart says. If its Getz 1.1, so be it.
Old 18th April 2007, 16:34   #7
BHPian

Just between these two, if I was in your place I would have gone for the Swift. Sure the Getz is spacious, but I am not going to drive a Santro engine fitted onto a hevier shell. I would prefer the more expensive 1.3 Getz to the Swift, but not the 1.1 Prime at the prices they are asking! Not VFM accordingly me. Still, by now you must have read the reviews on both Getz and Swift, so you can list your priorities and see which one fits your bill.

Coming to your question.....From the Dealer reviews written here Trident Hyundai seems to have a good name. As for Maruti, most people seem to have some problem or the other with most of the Maruti dealers in Bangalore, but there seem to be a strong indication that you should stay away from Bimal.

Btw, why did you knock off the new Palio from your list??? It fits your budget and seems to be a much improved car..... or are you worried of the A**?
Old 18th April 2007, 16:37   #8
BHPian

Oh, before I forget, the Swift has been reported to have quality issues.... There are many threads on this topic. You may want to factor this in your buying decision.
Just remember...there is no perfect car. You will have to compromise somewhere. Where, depends on you.
Old 18th April 2007, 16:44   #9

well DriveR, palio 1.6 is still the one my heart urges for, but that will stretch my budget to the limit(5.1 OTR), moreover I am quite concerned abt its FE in bangalore rather than A**, as Tata-Fiat alliance and fiat coming up with Linea and Punto will definitely improve it over time .
Roms, you have S10, right?? how much are you getting??

Guys thanks for your inputs, I am again going for test drive today..wil let u know by tomm...
Old 18th April 2007, 16:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Getz with a 1.1L engine is not that much of a package compared to the swift. Like said before, TD both the vehicles with passengers & if you are comfortable with the getz, get it.
Old 20th April 2007, 11:30   #11

The lady wants Getz GVS...

Guys, after I asked my wife to decide between Getz and Swift, She is completely smitten by Getz GVS...didn't like Swift looks ....but as I am now worried abt the heavy body and smaller engine in Getz, I have asked her to wait till I check out the new Palio1.6...
Has anyone in Bangalore driven this italian beauty?? The guys at Tata here are saying that it will take atleast 3-4 days to have one for test drive...will really appreciate if anyone in the forum has driven it and can post his/her review on that...
Old 20th April 2007, 12:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Dude, as far as i know, ladies give more preference to looks than all other aspects..

if it looks stricking..even if you have to pedal from inside its fine
This is what i feel about most of them..there may be exceptions...

But we guys think of so many other things..which i think is the case with you..(Did i see the word palio somewhere in your post)

You decide on the one with good performance..about the looks..i am sure you can convince her
Old 20th April 2007, 13:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

any specific reason why u narrowed on these 2 cars..? what about the aveo U/va. i think this car has equal or more space than the GETZ and is not as underpowered as the GETZ and i guess spares and service of GM cars has dramatically come down now...
Old 20th April 2007, 16:07   #14
BHPian

Palio 1.6 is a better and more VFM option compared to the other two here. After sales service is the only worrying area but it is fast improving. Do take a TD and then decide.
Old 20th April 2007, 16:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyushjain80 View Post
Roms, you have S10, right?? how much are you getting??
Yes, I've had the opportunity to own Palio 1.2 NV and the S10 as well.Both cars return similar mileage figures in Mumbai city - 8-10 kmpl with a/c on most of the times, but it is the S10 which is surprisingly a bit more frugal in city with the car returning 9 kmpl regularly and even 10 kmpl (very rarely).On the highways,my 1.2 never returned more than 15-16 kmpl with a/c.While my S10 regularly returns 16-18 kmpl with a/c on and a light foot and speeds below 100 kmh.With a heavy foot,that figure hovers around 14-15kmpl.

The reason I compared the 1.2 to the 1.6 was because the Palio 1.2 is very similar to the Getz 1.1 in your case.A heavy car with a small engine does not necessarily mean more fuel efficiency,infact the combination hampers fuel efficiency.Multiple gear changes and pushing the engine in every gear will remain the order of the day and in turn will hamper FE.And trust me,its very tiring to drive such a car over longer distances.But the Getz 1.1 might be better with low end torque as you've mentioned.If thats the case,FE might not be that bad.

If you like the Getz,I'd suggest the 1.3.But since FE is a concern for you,I think Swift fits the bill perfectly.Its a perfect mix of FE + performance.
And yeah, it will be very difficult to test drive a Palio 1.6.The company may not offer any cars for test drives since the car is on 'made to order' basis.

Last edited by roms : 20th April 2007 at 16:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks