Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2007, 00:45   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Getz Prime 1.1/1.3

hi,
i am a 24 yr engineer from bangalore. i am planning to by my 1st car in about a months time. my budget is around 4.5lac . i need a car which has good space, good performance, good mileage. we are a family of just 4 adults. considering my price range , my obvious choices are being swift and the new getz prime. personally i am not a big fan of the swift looks so i am more drifted towards the all new getz prime.

but i came across many posts on net which says old getz(1.3) is a underpowered vehicle and sluggish. and many are of the opinion that the new (1.1 engine) of santro fame is not good enough for the getz. is that true?? if so than what kinda performance and mileage can i expect from 1.1 engine??????

personally i have developed a fondness for the all new getz prime and very much interested in buying the same. but the many posts i read about its performance has put me in a state of confusion. another big problem is i am learning to drive only now (my driving classes will get over in a weeks time)... so i am a total amatuer in driving and would not be able to guage the performance of the vehicles during test drives. so i need the much experienced guys to help me out in this regard.

the car i am buying would be only city driven in bangalore... like home office home during weekdays and in the weekends it wud be with family and friends driven again only with in the city.

so would 1.1 getz prime be the ideal choice for me????????? and ya if the 1.1 engine is not the one for me than i will try hard and migrate to the 1.3 engine... but if 1.1 is fine for my requirements with a good enough performance and mileage ,, than i will go for it...

your comments and suggestions plzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 23rd April 2007, 13:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

As for the peformance of 1.1, its just about adequate for day to day city driving. However, where you will feel grossly underpowered, is while overtaking (specially in highways) and running up inclines.

In my opinion Getz Prime is not much of value for money. Had they priced it sub 4 lakh range, it would have been worth considering. Also i think they have done some cost cutting in interiors with poor quality plastics and all. The only thing more it offers compared to other 1.1L cars is Space. But mind you, the sub 3.5 lakh Indica Xeta beats the competetion as far as space is concered. Also, it would offer better performance.

I would say strech your budget a bit and go for 1.3.

Last edited by DCEite : 23rd April 2007 at 13:16.
Old 23rd April 2007, 13:55   #3
BHPian

I would like you to test drive Aveo U-VA too. Its another good package. It is slightly more powerful and spacious then getz 1.1, Also it seems they are coming with some good maintenance packages too. Do check it out and let us know.
If I were you.... I would choose swift."AT PRESENT" that is the best choice available IMO.
I also suggest you to see all the recent posts from geeksrick, he has checked lot of cars in similar range lately .
All the best.
Old 24th April 2007, 04:50   #4

1.3 plz

plz go for the 1.3...i own the old getz 1.3 so i particularly know the power comes in very late. with the new getz prime they have tweaked the torque at lower gears. however im safely assuming the 1.1 would be still yearning for power while overtaking. i particularly would suggest you to go for a swift in event you are going for the 1.1. It just makes logical financial sense. whats the use of such a roomy car which getz is if you really cannot feel it accelerate on the roads. in event you need any advice you could mail me at coolnesspersonification@gmail.com

i hope you make a sensible choice since you would struggle in resale of the 1.1

in event you going for the 1.3 getz then be ready to pay much more. the vxi swift sounds perfect as it is closesly patched against the 1.1. why pay for 1.1 when you can get swift 1.3?
Old 24th April 2007, 11:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Go for Getz 1.3 only. This is because while Getz 1.1 may look cheaper, it is underpowered for its weight. It may give a higher FE of 1-2 kmpl but if you drive less than 1000-1500 kms per month, that difference may not hurt much. I would always recommend a higher powered car because of its better performance. However, I have noticed that you live in Bangalore and will use it to commute to office. In that situation, perhaps even a 1.1 would suffice since your speeds are not going to be high (say more than 60-70 kmph). In stop and go Bangalore traffic, the FE penalty of 1.3 over 1.1 may be higher. But if you can afford it, definitely go for 1.3 even after this consideration.

For theoretical purpose, if you drive 1000 kms per month, and in Bangalore city traffic, 1.1 gives 12 kmpl and 1.3 gives 10 kmpl, then the extra fuel cost for 1.3 (at Bangalore petrol rate of 50.6/litre) would be less than 1,000 per month. You have to consider if this extra fuel cost and extra capital cost is worth it for better performance, hopefully longer life of engine, and overall better driving experience. For me, 1.3 would anyway be better.
Old 25th April 2007, 03:13   #6
BHPian

1st of all thanks a lot for ur reply guys...
i now have a new car in consideration within my price range i.e. the all new fully loaded varient of chevy spark. considering that we r a average built small family , the car though smaller wont hurt my cause.
i know i am now comparing two cars from 2 different segments ,, but i was considering a 1.1 in getz as 1.3 is a little out of reach to me as of now. and moreover chvy spark is 1 litle engine so i felt its not a bad option.

your views on chevy spark plzz!!!
Old 26th April 2007, 17:18   #7

I dont know much about the chevy spark. Suggest you have a test ride and see how comfortable you are with it. Its a sister of the daewoo matiz which was launched years ago and flopped. if you are looking at chevy spark, then its always better you look at a maruti zen since they seem to be in the same price bracket and anwyays maruti are well known for their service network in india. your servicing etc may cost you more with chevrolet than a maruti. i yet suggest you test drive both the cars and see where your comfort resides since at the end of it you are the one who needs to live with the car for the coming years.
Old 26th April 2007, 20:59   #8
BHPian

if u consider spark thn u wuld hav to wait for over 2 months. as it wuld be coming to bang'lore only in july(official.....)
Old 27th April 2007, 14:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

karty

i think the spark should be a good car. its a small car, with good ergonomics and drive feel. and yes price wise its cool as well. but why not just drive the palio 1.1 stile and see whether you like it. i have emails reporting the mileage to be 14 with a.c and its a big hatchback as well. the primary reasons i would not go for hyundai getz 1.1 or 1.3 is that the price point is high and for that price you feel underpowered with the 1.1 particularly. that aside the UVA is also costly.
Old 27th April 2007, 14:30   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by personified View Post
I dont know much about the chevy spark. Suggest you have a test ride and see how comfortable you are with it. Its a sister of the daewoo matiz which was launched years ago and flopped.
Pal, can you explain how you came to the conclusion that the car was a flop? There are owners on this forum whose Matiz's have been serving them pretty well over the years.

Some member also mentioned that at some places, GM dealers were also offerring a buy-back on the old Matiz.
Old 27th April 2007, 14:43   #11
BHPian

Hi Karty,
If you like driving a car and want to enjoy driving with frequent long rides, then you better take a car which has good performance, obviously it would a Swift. I am a perfect example for this. I bought wagonR in January for its fuel economy and space and compactness for city driving. I do not know much of driving when I bought the car. I too was a little bit sceptical over the looks of Swift and bought WagonR becoz it gives good mileage. Now after four months, I acquired very good driving skills and started liking performance driving. I did a quite amount of long distance travelling (3000-km trip once to Tamil Nadu) with my WagonR and felt the insufficient power to overtake. I regret why I did not choose Swift now (but I do not say WagonR is not good, it is a good car in the category). Once I drove my friend's swift and then I felt it is the right car for me. Very stable and good power. Then, I started likinig its presence on the road. It is really a beautiful car.

What I suggest you is go for swift if you are a performace driver and wants to enjoy driving. You will start liking the Swift once you buy it. There is not a single in this catagory which beats this car in looks and performance.

Getz 1.1 is underpowered for its engine becoz of its heaviness. Though has very good interiors, would suggest you not to go for this.

Regarding Spark,
It is really a good car. The test drive in 'Autocar' confirms that it is a very good car in small car catagory. Cute looks. Surprisingly stable on highways. Handling is really good. Engine is from Dawoo and you can trust it, it is rev happy. The passenger cabin is also very good unlike wagonR and Santro. I defenitely suggest you this car.

So, Choose between swift and spark.

Good luck
Old 27th April 2007, 14:45   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by personified View Post
I dont know much about the chevy spark. Suggest you have a test ride and see how comfortable you are with it. Its a sister of the daewoo matiz which was launched years ago and flopped. if you are looking at chevy spark, then its always better you look at a maruti zen since they seem to be in the same price bracket and anwyays maruti are well known for their service network in india. your servicing etc may cost you more with chevrolet than a maruti. i yet suggest you test drive both the cars and see where your comfort resides since at the end of it you are the one who needs to live with the car for the coming years.
I beg to differ you. Matiz is a very good car and it was not flopped.
Old 28th April 2007, 04:26   #13
BHPian

thankyou geeksrik and ravi for ur replies....

@ravi... ur reply was very usefull indeed.. as of now i have narrowed my options down to between swift and spark. i came across many posts on bhp which says swift is the best car in this category. but somehow i am still sceptical over its looks. i intend to buy a fully loaded version of spark i.e.
( spark LT ) as its within my budget. fully loaded swift is out of my reach but swift vxi is good enough for me. can u give me the ptros and cons of these two cars , which wud help me finalise on one.. and i wud like to add just 1 more point, the car is going to be predominantly city driven .
Old 28th April 2007, 10:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

swift >>
pros - good stable car, sleek design, for the price features even include climate control/airbags, MUL service
cons - FE may be less than spark, rattles, small boot

spark >>

pros - peppy 1000cc motor, chevy design (cool looking), price is the biggest +, more FE (~14 with ac should not be difficult), will be easy to drive in city, 3+ years warranty from chevy
cons - console at middle, too many lights on driver side info panel display might get confusing at times, chevy service not available everywhere like maruti, availability (production is taking 2-3 months as of now)

for your price point, i would consider spark.
Old 28th April 2007, 10:47   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

karty83,

If you've liked the Getz, its obviously for good reasons. Just go ahead and buy it if you like it so much. Speaking for myself - and NOT as a Swift owner, I'd nevertheless say the Swift Vxi is a better bet at that price range.

Last edited by theMAG : 28th April 2007 at 10:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks