Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which hatchback in terms of the overall package offered ?
Maruti Swift (all versions incl diesel) 86 37.72%
Hyundai Getz 1.1 4 1.75%
Hyundai Getz 1.3 12 5.26%
Hyundai Santro 8 3.51%
Maruti Wagon R (with or without LPG) 5 2.19%
Chevy Spark 7 3.07%
Fiat Palio 1.6 Sports 55 24.12%
Fiat Palio (all other versions) 10 4.39%
Chevy U-Va 2 0.88%
Chevy SRV 11 4.82%
Tata Indica (all versions) 18 7.89%
Ford Fusion (albeit it's higher price) 8 3.51%
Maruti Alto (all versions) 2 0.88%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2007, 22:56   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
I would not call outsiders "ordinary car buying junta" , just because they dont buy what you like.
I dont expect anyone to buy what I like.I am a car enthusiast.So the enthusiast in me would know what to look for in a car.And I look for VFM in every thing I buy,and the Palio gives me all of that.And there are like minded people on this forum who love the Palio 1.6 for what it offers, just that they are apprehensive of the Fiat brand,understandably.At the same time,I also think the Swift has managed to catch the fancy of the enthusiast as well as the outside world,thanks to all things that are conducive to its success.It is a brilliant package as well.

The outside world, well poeple say they've "heard" that the Palio gives only 6 kmpl while an NHC gives 14 kmpl.And for that reason alone, Palio goes in the dust bin.Trust me,I have both cars in my family and the difference in FE isn't that much.Another bloke started comparing his Santro with my car.And another one said that Palio has very costly spares, while the Getz and Swift would have very cheap spares, just because they are Hyundai and Maruti respectively.So thats the outside world for me.Atleast the majority still fall in the category of 'ordinary car buying junta'.Any more explanations Mr.Ajay?

Last edited by roms : 16th May 2007 at 23:04.
Old 17th May 2007, 00:10   #47
BHPian

I have voted for Palio 1.6 as I own one
Nothing beats it among all hatchbacks available in India. period. And at the price its selling, its an absolute steal!!!

Had considered Swift while buying my first car but finally it was heart over mind as I went for the beauty called Palio 1.6.

Reason for not going for Swift: too many of them around!! ....plus that magic figure of 100bhp on Palio 1.6 was too tempting!!

Swift is a mere pretender when it comes to performance, the extra 300cc and 15bhp clearly separate the 2. Palio wins by miles....

but.......as an overall package for a common man, i would say that Swift and Santro are good choices since *** and resale comes into picture if you talk of "overall" package and not just the car.

lastly, i m still awaiting parts for my 1.6 to arrive for repairs.....car is in workshop for 3 weeks now. that tells u something...
Old 17th May 2007, 17:00   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
Atleast the majority still fall in the category of 'ordinary car buying junta'.Any more explanations Mr.Ajay?
Oh yes its un-ending Mr Roms. You live in your own world and you have a illusion that all outsider are idiots just becuase they dont select perticular brand. If that is true you are in a DEEP illusion. Your explanation is very basic there nothing that answer my question. In your first post you are quite categoric in call outsider an oridinary car buyer..... that is endlessly debatable. Why to make such statement ??? You can not justify it with all the logic in world. Anyway..enjoy your day.
Old 17th May 2007, 17:11   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You live in your own world and you have a illusion that all outsider are idiots just becuase they dont select perticular brand. If that is true you are in a DEEP illusion.
Ajay, Roms never meant that, however if you feel that you are an idiot coz you didn't buy a particular brand, it is your problem!
And it is fact that that T-BHPIans (around 10,000 of us) are enthusiasts who fairly know more about Cars than the aam junta outside (around 1 Billion) who just go by 'Kya mileage hai?' and 'Service kaisa hai?' .
Old 17th May 2007, 17:19   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
And it is fact that that T-BHPIans (around 10,000 of us) are enthusiasts who fairly know more about Cars than the aam junta outside (around 1 Billion) who just go by 'Kya mileage hai?' and 'Service kaisa hai?' .
Just FYI, those are 2 questions I would ask as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiv View Post
i m still awaiting parts for my 1.6 to arrive for repairs.....car is in workshop for 3 weeks now. that tells u something...
Yes, it does tell us something. However much you love your car, you won't get to drive it an awful lot if it sits in the workshop for more than three weeks. I've seen major accidents, and I do mean major, repaired in less time.

Swift Diesel all the way! With 15" rims and Neovas, and Pete's little box on it. Sigh...
Old 17th May 2007, 17:22   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Just FYI, those are 2 questions I would ask as well
Right, even I ask that!
But BHPians would go beyond that like - Ride comfort, Handling, Build Quality, Safety features etc etc....!
Old 17th May 2007, 17:26   #52
BHPian

Ford Fusion....any day !!

Hmm...I wonder why people prefer the Palio 1.6 over Fusion 1.6. I have driven both and the Palio just can't match up with the Fusion's slick gearshift, magnificent handling and driveability, great SUV-like stance and of course, the powerful and refined Duratec under the hood. Its got a good build quality as well.

I guess all the Palio 1.6 voters need to actually drive one to understand and feel what a beautiful hatchback the Fusion really is.....especially in its price reduced avatar.
Old 17th May 2007, 17:32   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Ajay, Roms never meant that, however if you feel that you are an idiot coz you didn't buy a particular brand, it is your problem!
Why are you interpreting on behalf of ROMS ?
Old 17th May 2007, 17:36   #54
Senior - BHPian

My my. We have never stopped fighting.
Old 17th May 2007, 17:51   #55
Senior - BHPian

Hatches will always be hatches. Here or abroad. There are various options that need to be considered before selecting one. IMHO having seen just these and not any other's i dont know what is there to compare it against. Build quality? style? performance?
Old 17th May 2007, 17:55   #56
BHPian

my vote goes toooo....

I vote for Fusion if pleasure is given importance and i vote for VFM to getz
Old 17th May 2007, 18:10   #57
Senior - BHPian

On roads, I see more Tata Indica's than any other cars that was in contention. Followed by Santro's and Swifts's.

Any idea, which particular car sold/selling most in numbers i.e- Tata Indica sales till date from launch
Old 17th May 2007, 19:14   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Oh yes its un-ending Mr Roms. You live in your own world and you have a illusion that all outsider are idiots just becuase they dont select perticular brand. If that is true you are in a DEEP illusion. Your explanation is very basic there nothing that answer my question. In your first post you are quite categoric in call outsider an oridinary car buyer..... that is endlessly debatable. Why to make such statement ??? You can not justify it with all the logic in world. Anyway..enjoy your day.
First off, thanks Finney for answering on my behalf.You were spot on with those replies.

So,Ajay, I see you have a knack of snapping at people,especially Fiat owners for no reason at all.I have seen that in the past as well.Its alright if you dislike a particular brand or a car.But please, dont read too much into something.My reply was pretty basic right?An ordinary question deserves an ordinary answer like that.

What is this thing about me being in my own world and stuff?I have never said Palio is the be all and end all of all things automotive.If you read my post carefully, I've said that the Swift is probablythe only hatch which has done well with both,the enthusiasts and the aam junta.And the Palio has not,its just an enthusiast's car.Hence,it is the second most loved hatch on a forum like team-bhp,which is meant to be for enthusiasts.

And when I say outside world or 'aam junta', I mean the 'majority' of the people who are non-enthusiasts.I have said the same thing in my earlier 'ordinary' reply as well.

Here's an ordinary question for you Ajay- Why do You think the Palio 1.6 is so famous on team-bhp and not in the 'outside world'?? Or actually, dont bother to reply.I dont want this thread to degenerate into an unwanted brawl of words.Anyways, everyone's tired of this Palio Vs the others thing.And my reply was never meant to be on those lines.

Last edited by roms : 17th May 2007 at 19:31.
Old 17th May 2007, 19:21   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
My my. We have never stopped fighting.
It was bound to happen - here goes another thread
Old 17th May 2007, 19:33   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra View Post
It was bound to happen - here goes another thread
Nope it wont Goldie. Not this one.