Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2007, 14:59   #16
BHPian

buy an zen used car preferable 1999 to 2004 model... get the mods done....
Old 24th April 2007, 15:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I'm serious. If I were a college kid I would do this or get a Jeep if I wanted something smaller.

What are kids coming to these days? Alto, Santro
Well new generation new thinking. I would have chosen Alto or Santro over jeep anytime. Can't sweat whole day in sun or waiting for sunset and then move around . And specially in the hot summers that too in Mumbai u need a AC for sure.

Best is get a second hand Zen, Alto or Santro or a first hand Alto or Santro. Also try to find a Zen lying in stock with dealer. We have a New Zen lying here at chandigarh. It will cost @3 lac or less with discount.

The new Zen is not the Zen Esitlo but the type II Zen which came with crystal lamps etc. I wont call the New replacement for Zen a Zen its Estilo

Old 24th April 2007, 15:21   #18
BHPian

No xeta, it has got uncomfortable accelerator pedals, not good for city. Go for palio gtx second hand or new stile 1.1 ( bit expensive)
Old 24th April 2007, 15:34   #19
BHPian

For Dadar to Andheri traffic drive, think of an old Zen AT possibly for 2 lacs and spend the rest of the money in making it look good and feel good.

Shuee, you be a boy or a girl, am sure you will like an AT in this stop go traffic.

Further,... am not too educated to talk about engine swaps and CNG kit for a Zen AT, but my ideal car for college driving from Dadar to Andheri in traffic would have
- an Auto transmission
- good power (possibly a higher power engine)
- good AC working anytime of the day (an engine swap to a higher capacity would help)
- good music system
- Tubeless tires
- CNG kit (for spending for fuel out of the curfewed money)
Old 24th April 2007, 15:40   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuee View Post
* Cars short listed - alto xfun, xeta, spark, santro... well I am very confused
* Price range - around 3L
* Average distance traveled per month- 1500km
* Where car will be mostly used - mumbai city (dadar - andheri)
* self driven
* preferably good looking and good mileage
* this is my first car
for college kids zen steel 2 door version with the good music system will be the best.
Old 24th April 2007, 15:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Contessa is a great idea. Or Zen with Vtec engine. Both will be inside your budget.
Old 24th April 2007, 16:08   #22
BHPian

Shuee, I think you should first confirm m/f .. solve the mystery
Old 24th April 2007, 17:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest a s/h Zen or a s/h Santro (not too old, maybe 2004ish models). College-going = tight budget for fuel. I'd consider that, unless you have a really good allowance and/or you're a real petrol head.

Last edited by GTO : 25th April 2007 at 11:08.
Old 24th April 2007, 17:55   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Well new generation new thinking. I would have chosen Alto or Santro over jeep anytime. Can't sweat whole day in sun or waiting for sunset and then move around . And specially in the hot summers that too in Mumbai u need a AC for sure.

I second that ABHIBH, the best choice you ve got is to go for a cool Zen-smart,small,peppy,better mileage,enough space and never ending list for mods in future.
Old 24th April 2007, 17:56   #25
BHPian

College student buying a car has a directly link to "pocket money"
Considering above average pocket money, I would be looking at second hand M-800 with LPG conversion
But pocket money is very relative, I could barely manage my TVS champ with it....anyway keep that in mind before buying the car....

After all, reaching pubs is just half the job, you need money inside too !!

and as everyone suggested, a used car is what you should be getting. Any new car spotted in the parking lot, and it is bound to be scratched (or artwork..whatever you call it)...with all the "TiMMAppa LOVES PRIYA" stories !!!
Old 24th April 2007, 18:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

if i had 3 lac and wanted a car to go to college i would go and buy a second hand lancer and mod it to the extreme

lancer has it all power style and its big so you can carry you boyfriends or girlfriend which ever case you have

Last edited by GTO : 25th April 2007 at 11:09. Reason: Removed swathyds quote
Old 24th April 2007, 20:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Go for a Jeep or a Gypsy!! Although its hard to find a used one, but a red Palio 1.6 could do wonders too
Old 25th April 2007, 00:10   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Get a used Conti for about 50k or less. Plenty of space to pack friends in, and it shows real attitude because pimping it up isnt very expensive.
best suggestion, its RWD so you can show off how to really drift in front of ur FWD alto, zen friends and win the girl or guy??? over

yes ive seen fast and the furious 3
Old 25th April 2007, 00:44   #29
BHPian

Anyways a swift or NHC..thats what the girls are driving in bangalore these days. Personally i'd rock either a Octy RS or Laura to college...

Last edited by GTO : 25th April 2007 at 11:09. Reason: Removed swathyds quote
Old 25th April 2007, 10:41   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
what the girls are driving in bangalore these days. Personally i'd rock either a Octy RS or Laura to college...
Geez funding a college going kid is rather expensive these days. in my days we used the train or walked.

So you choices are:
a) 2004-05 Alto or Santro
b) 2003-04 Zen
c) Gypsy, Contessa and other "esoterics" with lots of mods

betwen a and b it the car condition would be what sways your decision. Take a freind who knows cars (not someone with text book knowledge) or a parent or uncle/aunt. When I got my first car i took my father (he taught me to tune his Permier with a strobe when I was 13). Old men like myself have driven used cars and new cars and know what to look for besides we dont get excited and carried away.

if you are a true enthusiast a Gypsy or Conti can be a fantastic car. Both are older than 3 years and so might be a trifle more troublesome so be prepared to have you car in the garage for a week every year (Murphy's law dictates that this week will be THE week you got found a new boy/girl friend). :-)

Most Viewed