Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2007, 13:01   #1
BHPian

Which 5- 5.5 lakh car?

Hi,

I am planning to buy a car around 5 lkh , and after my r&d I have following comments about various models

Getz -> Bad resell value
1.1 -> good car bad engine very pricy
1.3 -> very good car but out of budget

Aveo -> Bad looks
-> don’t know the resell value
-> don’t know about the service and availability of spar parts after 3 4 yrs , and in remote areas

Swift -> Bad Boot space
Petrol -> less price , good performance , low milage
Diesel -> pricy , Toque is WOW!!, high waiting period

Now my requirements

Running -> around 1000km per month on 60 % city and 40 % highway
Resell -> not planning to sell the car for atlest 5 years
No of persons in my family -> 3 persons , once in 6 months I travel with my 5 ppl in the car

Though my budget is 5 lkh max , I am thinking about buying swift diesel vdi which goes around 5.75 on road on pune(with deck and other things)

The reasons that thought was

1)I think the Diesel will have more resell value than petrol , and it’s better to put more money in car price than in petrol price
2)I assumed the worst case scenario for mileage so petrol swift -> 10 km/ltr and diesel swift -> 15 lm/ltr . The VDI –VXI = 68k ( neglecting discounts on petrol )
So it will take approx 35 k driving of VDI so that Money for VDI becomes = to VXI. If I sell the car after 5 years I will still be saving on fuel + get more money for VDI than the VXI
3)The torque is WOW than petrol
4)I heard that the diesel suspension is better than petrol(BSM) ( Is this true ? )
5)I also heard that VDI has body color mirrors , door handles , tubeless tires which are not present in VXI

But all my R&D can be wrong as I am not expert in this Area.

Can the expert BHP members can help me here ? Is there anything that I am missing or forgetting .

( One last point , My wife will be also driving this car for say 50 % of the time.)

Can you help me taking a decision

Note from mod: Please do not use Font and Size tags

Last edited by tsk1979 : 25th April 2007 at 14:58.
Old 25th April 2007, 14:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

With 1000km/month there is no point in taking a diesel vehicle. 5 years is too long a period to think about rith now. with all these new launches you never know what the scenario would be 5 years down the line. All your calculations would be right. But i personally feel that purchasing a car should not be a strict logical decision. There is an emotional part also attached to it. After all you should not feel bad when you see some other car on the road and then feel that that would have been a better option.

The Swift VDi is a very overpriced car. 6 months down the line you would see maruti giving off atlest 20-30K offers on this model. That should not upset you at that point of time after paying this high price now and wqaiting through all those extensions in delivery dates. I feel the Swift VXi would be more suitable for your kind of travel. Why do you want to spend that extra money right now when you can spend it over the years by buying the Petrol version (with more goodies/accessories/options). Isnt that a better way to make the calculations.

The Aveo and the Hyundai are much more spacious. But that doesnt seem to be your priority and moreover reading your mail i think you are more inclined towards the swift.

I would also suggest to take a drive on the Fiat Stile 1.6 also before you decide. Its really cool engine.

One small advice. Do all your calculations, think logically. But ultimately only buy the car that your heart goes with.
Old 25th April 2007, 14:46   #3
Team-BHP Support

The war between the diesel and petrol Swifts have been discussed infinite number of times on the forum. Please do scout around there.

The Aveo will overshoot the 5.5lakhs budget criteria.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 25th April 2007 at 14:59. Reason: Not needed now
Old 25th April 2007, 14:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would also advise you to take a look at teh revamped Ikon flair. it suits your requirements pretty well and you get a sedan for hatch money.

Ford A.S.S. is not the strongest but should be on par with GM. (I personally have had a pathetic experience with Ford in delhi, but the car was great)
Old 25th April 2007, 14:58   #5
BHPian

as per pune prices, the swift petrol would be around 4.36 rs per litre, the diesel would be around 2.6 rs per litre. Every month, the difference would be around 1760.
You wrote you wish to keep the car for 5 yrs, ie, 60 months, which means a difference of around 1.05 lakh rupees. 5 yrs down the line, i think the resale of both the petrol and diesel would be more or less the same, may be the diesel fetching you around 20k more.

with all discounts right now on petrol, it is around 90000 cheaper than the diesel. but the diesel would fetch you around 20000 more while selling after 5 yrs. and u would be saving a lakh in 5 yrs. Diesel does make sense here, the main advantage being that every time you go to the fuel pump, you have a smile on your face
Old 25th April 2007, 15:00   #6
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod: The question has been discussed to death in this forum, please use search function
Old 25th April 2007, 15:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

ben. i think he meant the U-VA
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks