Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2007, 19:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Indigo Ls Or Swift VDi

A very close pal of mine ,a santro owner[he plans to keep his santro for a few more years] is on the lookout for a second car with a budget of 5.5 lakhs max.

We went about scouting for cars and of all the cars we had a look at this price range we have come up with two choices the swift vdi or the new tata indigo LS[have a look at the new indigo range it's really good looking and apart from the steering wheel which I did not like the looks, overall the car has a much better feel than the older indigo's].Now the swift vdi engine was simply fabulous,the only problem was the car lacked space especially there is nothing to call as boot space,and we did not find the ac particular good for the rear seat passenger[maybe because the car was parked in the sun].Even if you see legroom and space at the back I found the indigo superior to the swift.

We preferred the Indigo LS as the better package but still confused between the swift and the indigo,Plus wait is two months for swift diesel.But the interesting bit was that the sales representative kept discouraging us from buying the swift diesel and said that petrol is better if you do not drive more than 80km a day.Also service interval of the swift diesel is every 2500 km[swift owners kindly validate].

Car would be run mostly in the city with some occasional highway run where bootspace + legroom would definitely be a bonus.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 26th April 2007 at 19:28.
Old 26th April 2007, 19:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

No point in having 2 hatches - irrespective of their segments. The Indigo makes better sense.
Old 26th April 2007, 19:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

indigo TDI is the one to go for....this is wrt space, VFM(a sedan compared to swift), cheap spares(maruti is not cheapin spares if it is a swift)
Old 26th April 2007, 19:18   #4
Team-BHP Support

yup 2 hatches doesnt make sense and the service interval is 10k kms.

first service at 1k, second at 5k and third at 10k but then on its every 10k kms, if incorrect ill post tomorrow
Old 26th April 2007, 19:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

I agree, 2 hatches doesn't make sense, keep the hatch for city and bigger one for highway usage....

Abhi
Old 26th April 2007, 21:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys.

The Indigo LS here is the TDi one while swift is the common rail engine[ok I know you guys know it but just to be on the safe side].

A very important consideration is CRDi vs TDi in terms of ability to face abuse.

Abuse as in not giving enough time for idling while starting,switching off the engine,not using the engine for a few days etc. As far as fuel quality I feel the TDi engines were better at handling bad fuel than the common rail ones[I may be wrong].
Old 26th April 2007, 21:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Thanks guys.

The Indigo LS here is the TDi one while swift is the common rail engine[ok I know you guys know it but just to be on the safe side].

A very important consideration is CRDi vs TDi in terms of ability to face abuse.

Abuse as in not giving enough time for idling while starting,switching off the engine,not using the engine for a few days etc. As far as fuel quality I feel the TDi engines were better at handling bad fuel than the common rail ones[I may be wrong].
Wasn't Indigo DICORised a few weeks ago? Or is your friend considering the cheaper V series (TDi)?
Old 26th April 2007, 21:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite View Post
Wasn't Indigo DICORised a few weeks ago? Or is your friend considering the cheaper V series (TDi)?
the DICORised indigo is more than 5.5lac to he is likely comsidering a tdi

does he want a diesel only or petrol will also be consider

but one consideration is vdi has power window and a ls doesn't have
Old 26th April 2007, 21:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite View Post
Indigo Dicor starts from LX. LS is still TDi.

I think its Indigo for you. Swift P/D is expensive to maintain and is a hatchback.
Old 26th April 2007, 22:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

As pointed out by navdeep and manikjeet this is the newer indigo series only but without the dicor engine,I am not sure about the on road price of the indigo dicor but think it is above 6 lakhs.

Quote:
one consideration is vdi has power window and a ls doesn't have
Yes we did think about this and our solution was get it retrofitted.We are getting a 12 k corporate discount on the indigo but no such luck with the swift.

Regarding the petrol options,let me start with ford,he is not much in favour with them.

Hyundai,he is pretty happy with them but since he already owns a santro and plans to keep one does not want to keep another hatch[The swift came in only because of that fabulous fun to drive engine].The accent is a no no,due to a very uncertain future.

Chevrolet,Toyota,Honda nothing in this range.

Mahindra Logan rejected.

Maruti ,all hatches out except swift [reason pointed out earlier],esteem did not like it.

Tata,we looked at the indigo petrol first but talk about going for a petrol indigo and the salesman looks at you bewildered as though you muttered something in greek.

So finally we just shortlisted the diesel's.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 26th April 2007 at 22:15.
Old 26th April 2007, 22:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post

Regarding the petrol options,let me start with ford,he is not much in favour with them.

Hyundai,he is pretty happy with them but since he already owns a santro and plans to keep one does not want to keep another hatch[The swift came in only because of that fabulous fun to drive engine].The accent is a no no,due to a very uncertain future.

Chevrolet,Toyota,Honda nothing in this range.

Mahindra Logan rejected.

Maruti ,all hatches out except swift [reason pointed out earlier],esteem did not like it.

Tata,we looked at the indigo petrol first but talk about going for a petrol indigo and the salesman looks at you bewildered as though you muttered something in greek.

So finally we just shortlisted the diesel's.
so it pretty much rules out all the petrol cars in him price segment

but may i suggest he could look at the base model of the fiesta i think it maybe in his buget or he can stretch it a little as he would be getting a new generation car
Old 26th April 2007, 22:40   #12
BHPian

In my opinion, since you want a Newer Technology car, then Go ahead with Indigo Dicor..! Since you're getting Corp discount, work around a better deal and Ofcourse the model is newer than the TDi so better value and Resale in terms..! Some additional amount can be squeezed in with EMI..Don't negate Dicor all together..!
Old 26th April 2007, 23:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
In my opinion, since you want a Newer Technology car, then Go ahead with Indigo Dicor..! Since you're getting Corp discount, work around a better deal and Ofcourse the model is newer than the TDi so better value and Resale in terms..! Some additional amount can be squeezed in with EMI..Don't negate Dicor all together..!
what i have heard so far is that the dicor is only the name in performance the difference is so little that you cann't feel it
Old 26th April 2007, 23:37   #14
BHPian

You have made a great choice. Indigo is great VFM and gives a feeling of big car.
Old 27th April 2007, 00:12   #15
Team-BHP Support

Having a diesel indigo in stable(62bhp not so good one) I can say that the only thing which is against the indigo TDI is refinement.
Its a little crude,
Apart from that
The good:
1. Its very very reliable
2. Its cheap to service and maintain
3. Can be serviced anywhere
4. IS extremely safe
5. Excellent ride quality, independent suspension works
6. Brilliant AC
7. Brilliant bright headlights
8. Value for money
9. Gives 20kmpl on highway runs if you keep between 90-110, got 23kmpl when doing 80 mostly. City runs will give you 15kmpl if you are sensible and 12-13kmpl if you are not so sensible

The bad:
1. Delicate rims, watch out for those killer coming out of nowhere potholes. Wider tires will help
2. Plastics and rubbers are nothing to write home about. MAy face annoying things like rubber beadings coming off. Nothinig too bad, but irritating nevertheless. But such problem depends on sample to sample
3. Good off road capability(extremely bad roads), and can take abuse on non existant roads, but don't hit speed breakers too fast, power steering hose pipe location is little foolish

For this scene indigo fits like a glove.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks