Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2007, 00:38   #1
BANNED

Getz Prime or Palio Stile

I am looking for a vehicle with an on-road price tag of 5L. My choices are between the Hyundai Getz Prime 1.1 GLE or GVS, and the Fiat Palio Stile 1.1 SL, SLE, SLX or the 1.6 Stile Sport.
I'll be the only person driving.
A few key things are comfort, low-maintenance, gas mileage and performance.
Is it true that the 1.3(in case of the Getz) and the 1.6(in case of the Palio) would deliver a poorer gas mileage than the 1.1's respectively? And if so, how much might that difference be?
I noticed that the 1.6 Palio's price tag is almost comparable to the 1.1 Getz GVS!!
Also seems to me that the Getz is not a VFM vehicle (atleast when compared to the Palio Stile)
Following are some numbers directly off their websites:

Fiat Palio Stile
1.1 STILE 1.6 STILE SPORT
Engine Petrol 4 cylinder FIRE Petrol 4 cylinder
Displacement 1108 cc 1596 cc
Maximum Power 57 PS @ 5250 rpm 100 PS @ 5500 rpm

PALIO 1.1 STILE PALIO 1.6 STILE SPORT
Tyres Tubeless 165 / 80 R13 Tubeless 175 / 65 R14
Wheels 5.0 B x 13 5.5 J x 14 Alloy

Palio 1.1 Stile Palio 1.6 Stile
SL SLE SLX Sport
360935 381672 399980 445255

Hyundai Getz Prime

Getz GLE 408128
Getz GVS 441507
Getz GLS 513608
Getz GLX 550484

1.1 GLE/GVS 1.3 GLS/GLX
Engine eRLX SOHC
Displacement 1086 cc 1341 cc
Maximum Power (ps/rpm) 66.6/5500 82.9/5,500
Tyres 155/80R13 175/70R13(GLS)
175/65R14(GLX-alloys)

Kindly suggest what might be the better choice between the two. I intend keeping the vehicle for quite a while, and hence wish to make an informed and smart decision.

Thanks.
Old 30th April 2007, 00:57   #2
BHPian

I'm too looking for a vehicle in the range of 5L. I would suggest to have a look at aveo u-va too.. 1.2LS.. much spacious than Getz with great interiors. On road price delhi - 4.82L , 4.87L(metalic colors)

Though I am also confused, but I think aveo u-va is a better deal than Getz 1.1 now.
Old 30th April 2007, 02:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Are these prices ex-showroom or On-road? I have a feeling that the Getz prices are On-Road. Also have you enquired what discounts you'll be getting on either of the cars? That could be quite an important factor.

Get full info & then we can probably help you better in the decision.
Old 30th April 2007, 09:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

1.1 Stile is obvious considering FE, price (as you yourself pointed out getz is not VFM). but for services, if you like tata, then so be it. you can go for palio. please bear in mind that palio's resale is horrible.
Old 30th April 2007, 09:48   #5
Ram
Senior - BHPian

A fully loaded petrol Tata Indica GLX Bharat Stage III, can be had for an on-the-road price of under Rs. 5 lakh (ex. Mumbai).

It is spacious, very popular, well-supported in every nook and corner of the country and available in a variety of colors. And you lose less money when you sell it in the used car market.
Even the Aura alloy wheels are designed and made in India.

Value for money in India is boosted by
Lower cost of design and manufacture in India and
not having to repatriate money to foreign principals.

The Indian car industry (represented by companies like Tata and Mahindra and Birla-Hindalco {Aura}) are progressing in leaps and bounds. Designs on the CAD station are increasingly advanced.
Old 30th April 2007, 09:53   #6
Team-BHP Support

The Getz prime 1.1 does 0-100 quicker than the stile by over 3 seconds, and as for FE this is the modified eRLX engine, so equally fuel efficient.
Palio stile is cheaper by around 30-40K
With Getz you get peace of mind in A.S.S
As far as space/build/FE is concerned, Getz has a small edge in space, as for other things they remain the same.
OF course getz is a much newer design.

With Palio you get very poor resale as a deal too.
As ram suggested there are other good options too if you want to save more money.
Old 30th April 2007, 10:13   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Difficult choice beween the 1.1 Getz and Palio. The main differentiator as I see it would be in A.S.S vs. driving experience. If A.S.S - its the Getz, if its driving pleasure- its the Palio. The Palio might have a lower resale value though.

Every other feature is similar between the two and not objective to compare
Old 30th April 2007, 10:27   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcetech View Post
look at aveo u-va too.. 1.2LS.. much spacious than Getz with great interiors. On road price delhi - 4.82L , 4.87L(metalic colors)
Do not restrict your self to just few cars. Check everything in the market. I think apart from the price tag U-VA is a very good pick. Do test drive it.
Old 30th April 2007, 10:31   #9
BHPian

My friend was in market for a 5 lac car last week. He finally brought Chevy U-VA. 5.09 lacs on road with PS and AC.

His requirement was to have a light to drive car with reasonable pick up for the city traffic, reasonable mileage (say, 12 in the city) and a car that is sturdy enough for highways. Budget around 5 lacs if petrol and 6.5 lacs if its diesel.

Looked at the following cars and ignored them:
Swift: Cramped though priced correct
Getz 1.1 : Too powerless. 1.3- Overpriced
Stile 1.1 : Powerless again.
Stile 1.6: Bad Fuel efficiency
Indica/Indigo: He already had a indigo and wanted to get rid of it because of the sluggishness, high Noise/Vibration/Harshness & physically more demanding to drive with harder controls.
Logan Diesel: Not sure..maybe its too big for a day to day city drive and also comes with less features + expensive. But he felt that this car is much better than Indigo and a much better buy over indigo though it comes with less frills.
Ford Ikon: He just doesn't like it!

The only issue U-VA had was apparent poor resale. He did not care as he plans to keep the car for a long time. But U-VA was more spacious, looked sturdy, had reasonable pick up, reasonable FE, looks good and not a bad price.

Hope it helps.
Old 30th April 2007, 11:11   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
If A.S.S - its the Getz, if its driving pleasure- its the Palio. The Palio might have a lower resale value though.
Driving pleasure?
I guess you got confused between the 1.6 palio.
The question was Palio 1.1 vs Getz 1.1. Palio is a little too underpowered to earn a drivers car tag.
Old 30th April 2007, 11:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

If you are going to keep the car for 5-6 years, palio can be seen logical. Also the company has on offer a 36month warranty currently.

But most probably the hyundai dealer will offer better support.

if the roads are bad, palio will easily glide on them, hyundai on the other hand has more space(if required by you i.e.)

palio is more vfm and looks good too, getz has a proven 1.1 engine and is backed by hyundai which is seen as a respected brand in India.

match your needs.
Old 30th April 2007, 15:43   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Are these prices ex-showroom or On-road? I have a feeling that the Getz prices are On-Road.
These prices are ex-showroom, Mumbai.
Old 30th April 2007, 16:02   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
I am looking for a vehicle with an on-road price tag of 5L. My choices are between the Hyundai Getz Prime 1.1 GLE or GVS, and the Fiat Palio Stile 1.1 SL, SLE, SLX or the 1.6 Stile Sport.
Quote:
I'll be the only person driving.
Quote:
I noticed that the 1.6 Palio's price tag is almost comparable to the 1.1 Getz GVS!!
Quote:
I intend keeping the vehicle for quite a while, and hence wish to make an informed and smart decision.
Well, you have a Vtec as your avatar, profile picture and personal car. You are obviously an enthusiast. From the list you have provided, the Palio 1.6 will please you most. The only downside is the mileage and the resale value. Resale you dont have to worry about as you intend to keep the car for long. Forego the mileage for the other benefits that this car will give you....

Only other hatch for you would be the Swift. Take your pick. I'd say a blood red 1.6.

Last edited by GTO : 30th April 2007 at 16:03.
Old 30th April 2007, 17:54   #14
BHPian

Autocar India, May issue reports GETZ 1.1 gives 9.3 kmpl where as Palio Stile 1.1 gives > 10.3 kmpl. Both cars get 7/10 rating.
Old 30th April 2007, 18:52   #15
BHPian

Here's the thing,just went for a test drive of the Honda Civic.Why?Because my brother wanted to exchange his 2004 Honda City EXi with the Civic.And he wont buy anything other than a Honda.
So we started towards Arya Honda,Worli with my brother driving my S10.
First up the AT Civic.... and it was hopeless.Neither of us could wring out any sort of power from it.Pretty lacklustre car that,more of a 'all show no go' thing.The manual was much better, but where is the bottom end torque? I pushed it hard and managed some good performance after the VTEC kicks in at around 5000 rpm.The thing is, it does'nt make you feel special when you drive it.Sure it looks good and all,but it does'nt give you the feel of driving a 13-14 lakh car.Otherwise,it is a very good overall package.

Now coming to the point,my Honda-crazy brother comes out of the showroom and says ' Your S10 feels much more special than the Civic!'And I agreed... whole heartedly.Its all about that special feel you get when holding the steering wheel in a Palio 1.6,the drive,the engine note. It just reiterated the fact that I would find it very difficult to find a worthy upgrade.

A Euro car is a Euro car is a Euro car.Period. Buy the Palio 1.6 with that stonker of a price tag.Its all worth it.Sure, you do get the added baggage of suspect ***, low resale, old interiors and slightly lower fuel efficiency ( 9-10 kmpl in city,15-18 kmpl on highways).So if you can live the negatives, there is no better car at that price point.Good luck in your car search !

Last edited by roms : 30th April 2007 at 18:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks