View Poll Results: Which Fast and fun to drive AT hatchback
Polo TSI 6AT 230 80.42%
I20 Turbo GDI 7DCT 56 19.58%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2021, 17:04   #16
BHPian

Re: VW Polo GT TSI 6-AT vs Hyundai i20 Turbo GDI 7-DCT

Voted- Polo GT TSI AT without a single doubt in my head.

The fact that VW India can still sell around 1,200 units of the car a month even with its age, that just goes to show that there is a reason why people love this car. I've owned a Polo in the past before upgrading to higher-up VW models and to date I can't comprehend how VW India offers such a well-built (not well equipped) car at such a price point.

I have owned multiple Hyundai cars and the driving experience comes nowhere close to what VAG cars offer. I think the sole USP of the VAG group now is the driving feel and experience as on other grounds cars like the i20 take the lead. Another aspect is the build quality, the Polo or any other VAG India car are built like tanks.

I would avoid diving into the discussion about ownership costs etc since that is an overdone topic when it comes to VAG India cars. Our forum offers numerous such insights on other threads.

Hope this helps, tried to share my insights as an ex-Polo and ex-Hyundai owner

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th May 2021 at 09:52. Reason: typo corrected: loathe to love
AKSarkar1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 17:39   #17
BHPian

I have owned couple of Hyundai's and even driven the i20. I currently drive the GT TSI DSG but the handling, driving manners and built is no where close to i20. If you just want a drivers car POLO still wins even after 11 years.

This video is proof POLO is still the best enthusiast car.
TJ02 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 18:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Polo, although my pick is still the 1.0 MT TSI and not the GT. or AT

Got to drive the Grand i10 Nios Turbo couple of months back and it really is a brilliant hatch. I always prefer performance over all other aspects in a car, and this one delivers in oodles. It is also really well put together by Hyundai and feels built to last. But then again, these are all the stuff which Polo also has, and probably slightly betters the Nios.

However, I was pretty surprised when I learnt the OTR price in Bangalore, which was nearly 10 lakhs.

Name:  Price comparo.PNG
Views: 2312
Size:  64.0 KB

If I were to buy/recommend this car today, here are my pain points:

- Is surely quick on paper and v-box measurement, but does not have that intense rush of the VW's 1.0 TSI engine.
- Only available in Sports as the highest variant. What's more, it is nearly 60-70k more expensive than an Asta VTVT.
- Nios does look a lot better than the old Grand I10, but I am still a huge sucker for sharp design elements that Polo has.
- Grand I10 Nios Turbo is only available with MT Gearbox which is nice. But the 6 Speed MT and the 1.0 TSI combination on Polo is a delight.
- I may have limited knowledge here, but Creta is probably the most friendly Korean car for aftermarket add-ons. Polo aftermarket options are almost endless.
- For around 80k more, Polo TSI offers superior performance, stance (IMO) and a true blue blood engine from the GTI lineage.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 12th May 2021 at 18:40.
Vik0728 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 01:18   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- The Polo's behaviour still has a maturity that the i20 doesn't have. Try a mid-corner bump at 90 kmph in both cars. I voted for the Polo.
Bang on. Drove the i20 DCT AT & the Polo GT recently. Not just the drive experience, the ride too felt better in the Polo. Could feel every small pothole and bump on the road in i20 but the polo admittedly was better over the same patch of road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
i20 is the benchmark, like it or not. The search for a premium hatch ends right there.
Hyundai badge isn't premium, though

I know the i20 looks great on specs but the moment you drive it, you'd know something is missing, even with the likes of turbo and the DCT, the drive isn't engaging. I like that the polo has all tinted windows, all power windows with one-touch up/down & auto IRVM. Premium features I'd over a sunroof or Bose Sound system. I don't care if polo is too old, it looks sexy, and pulls the strings.

I booked mine 2 days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
As we see, these 2 hatches are the ones available which are fast as well as fun.

In today's times, should an enthusiast pick up the i20? or the evergreen GT TSI continues to be a torchbearer?
If you're planning to buy one, do drive both to decide. I feel i20 is really good, but Polo is Rocky Balboa.
viren83 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 08:45   #20
Team-BHP Support

Difficult poll - decided not to vote.

Will I buy the i20? It's a good car no doubt, and the modern Hyundai cars are fun to drive with their excellent TGDi engines - but safety is suspect and Hyundai engineers their cars on the delicate side, just about holding up well till the warranty period.

Will I buy a Polo TSi then? Over the i20 yes, but in reality - no! The car that I would replace it with - is now 9 years old car - and Polo was one of the options considered back then during purchase as well! All said and done - I'm not buying the same Polo in 2021!

If there is a gun to my head - I'd rather pick the VFM (more practical, loaded with just the essentials and very similarly fun to drive) Skoda Rapid Rider Plus AT instead!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 08:51   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
If there is a gun to my head - I'd rather pick the VFM (more practical, loaded with just the essentials and very similarly fun to drive) Skoda Rapid Rider Plus AT instead!
Spot on. Buy the Rider Plus AT & doll it up with a full-fat ceramic treatment, Karlsson leather interiors, a proper RCD MFD upgrade, wider PS4 tyres, maybe Bilstein springs & you're set
itwasntme is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 09:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Definitely Polo considering your requirement of a fast hatch. Personally I still find it the best looking one in the segment. And like others mentioned, the mod potential for Polo is much better.
Having recently driven a new I 20 on highways, I still did not find its handling or high speed stability anywhere closer to Polo. Cannot comment the improvement of current gen I 20 on previous as haven’t driven the older one.
Old 13th May 2021, 09:27   #23
BHPian

Just check whether the trunk floor of Hyundai gets heated after a 10 km drive. I saw similar behavior in my i20 and checked the same in their other offerings like Venue and Verna ( visited and verified in service center) . I felt engineering from Hyundai is not the best. My Honda's trunk is still ice cold after a 1000 kms drive. I have lost confidence to take the Hyundai for a long drive. Even the stepney becomes warm. If you have OCD then check this out before booking your car.

Last edited by rahulskumar : 13th May 2021 at 09:30.
rahulskumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 09:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

From a long-term ownership perspective, wouldn't buy either. Reasons:
1. Hyundai Quality is gone down over the last half-decade; Their DCTs aren't trouble free
2. VW ownership experience is a hit or miss. The owners love it (no untimely part failures + good ASS) or hate it (premature part failures + incompetent ASS)

If only Honda plonked the 1.5 in the Jazz...
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 09:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Will I buy a Polo TSi then? Over the i20 yes, but in reality - no! The car that I would replace it with - is now 9 years old car - and Polo was one of the options considered back then during purchase as well! All said and done - I'm not buying the same Polo in 2021!

Great Idea!

And a very very surprising poll outcome. The i20, inspite of so much equipment is still no match for the Polo in the enthusiast community.

Also, pretty solid evidence that OEM Manufacturers should not go by team-bhp threads to decide on product design!
Old 13th May 2021, 11:05   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Just check whether the trunk floor of Hyundai gets heated after a 10 km drive.
I drive Venue, but never faced this issue (loaded/empty). AFAIK boot is the coolest part of the car, because there's no direct sunlight. Also, there's nothing under the boot except fuel tank and exhaust, why would it heat up in the first place?

Are you sure the cars you tested didn't have any issues? It should be a major cause for concern.
Old 13th May 2021, 11:06   #27
n_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Just check whether the trunk floor of Hyundai gets heated after a 10 km drive.
Did you find any solution to this problem? I recently bought i20 Asta Turbo DCT and noticed that trunk area gets hot(drive was a rather short one), I didn't pay much attention to it but now after seeing this post I guess it would be a good idea to get this checked. Other than that, pretty happy with the car, ticks all the boxes w.r.t. performance, sound system, comfort etc.

Last edited by n_b : 13th May 2021 at 11:11.
n_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 11:14   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalmr62 View Post
I drive Venue, but never faced this issue (loaded/empty). AFAIK boot is the coolest part of the car, because there's no direct sunlight. Also, there's nothing under the boot except fuel tank and exhaust, why would it heat up in the first place?

Are you sure the cars you tested didn't have any issues? It should be a major cause for concern.
Please check after driving 10-15 kms , the area above the silencer. You have to lift the dickey mat and even check if the stepney gets heated. I checked on 3 venues that came for routine service, but all of them were turbos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_b View Post
Did you find any solution to this problem? I recently bought i20 Asta Turbo DCT and noticed that trunk area gets hot(drive was a rather short one), I didn't pay much attention to it but now after seeing this post I guess it would be a good idea to get this checked.
As per Hyundai people in Thane service center they were not even aware of such thing before I brought this to their notice. Then we together checked around 10 cars that came to the center for routine servicing and all of them had this issue. I used OBD reader to check the engine oil and coolant temperature and the cooling system works as expected. This seems like engineering flaw in Hyundai vehicles. I even felt the engine bay in Hyundai elite i20 becomes hotter than Honda Jazz for the same distance and route. I did back to back drive for 20 kms with my friend riding i20 to make sure the ambient temperature is same. Both the vehicles have CVT transmission

Last edited by rahulskumar : 13th May 2021 at 11:19.
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 11:54   #29
BHPian

Polo hands down. This is not even a contest. VW has a pedigree of decades in making performance vehicles with their GTi, GLi and R lines. Even if only 10% of that know-how has trickled into the Polo, it'll still run rings around a decade newer i20. Sure, Hyundai has the N line but it's more of an after thought and not a part of their core DNA.

Hyundai making fun to drive cars is like Bata making performance running shoes. No thanks!

Last edited by yd_gli : 13th May 2021 at 11:57.
Old 13th May 2021, 12:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
Hyundai making fun to drive cars is like Bata making performance running shoes. No thanks!
While I may agree that the Polo is more FTD than the i20, Hyundai is making some serious cars in Europe under the N line. Go check out their reviews. They've hunted big talents from across the industry, including Albert Bierman from the M division, to take the fight to the big boys.

And yes, a company's pedigree is irrelevant if they don't have the talent at a given time. Even Lexus couldn't replicate the finesse of the LFA in the cars produced later on.

Last edited by Turbohead : 13th May 2021 at 12:11.
Turbohead is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks