View Poll Results: Which Fast and fun to drive AT hatchback
Polo TSI 6AT 230 80.42%
I20 Turbo GDI 7DCT 56 19.58%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2021, 13:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

VW Polo GT TSI 6-AT vs Hyundai i20 Turbo GDI 7-DCT

As we see, these 2 hatches are the ones available which are fast as well as fun.

Prices (non discounted, ex showroom, taken from the websites)

Polo AT
Highline plus AT: 9,60,000
GT TSI AT: 9,99,000

i20 Turbo GDI DCT
Asta: 10,68,100
Asta dual tone: 10,83,100
Asta O: 11,19,100
Asta O DT: 11,34,100

Now, both these cars are evenly matched (or close to evenly matched) in performance and Hyundai's new i20 also has dynamics to match the performance. The i20 has seen two generation changes in between and the polo has been kept flogging on with the same PQ25 platform.

I20 has space, features, service network and resale advantage in its kitty and polo plays in its tuning potential.

In today's times, should an enthusiast pick up the i20? or the evergreen GT TSI continues to be a torchbearer?

PS: Only we are comparing fast automatic hatchbacks, no manuals here.
sidindica is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 13:31   #2
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TSI 6-AT vs Hyundai i20 Turbo GDI 7-DCT

Truth be told, the Polo has become too old and desperately needs a new generation. It is no longer the premium hatchback that people aspired to own back in the day. Since I cannot vote here, the i20 Turbo DCT is going to be the pick for me.

Not to mention, the i20 Turbo has better space optimization as well. So its one up over the polo here as well.

My opinion might change if VW India manages to bring the MQB based Polo to India soon. But for now, the Korean hatch it is for me.
tanbeamer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 14:35   #3
BANNED

Sorry to throw a bit of a curve-ball here, but what do you think about a Hyundai Verna 1.5 CVT?

Verna 1.0 Turbo DCT 0-100 - 13.09 seconds
Verna 1.5 Manual ------------ 12.03 seconds

Now let's add an extra second due to CVT's lazy nature, the 0-100 times are pretty neck-to-neck. (No replacement to displacement, you see. Hyundai should have put the 1.4 Turbo in the Verna, but then, the price would have been in another stratosphere.)

And the pricing too, the Verna SX variant costs 12.19 ex-showroom. You get pretty much the same features, same sunroof, same alloys, same climate control, same infotainment. Yes, you get 2 airbags instead of 6. But safety didn't seem to rank very high on your list.

Or, in the alternative, if you have-to-have a DCT, I'd rather go with a Sonet / Venue.

The i20 has lost its VFM proposition. And the Torque-Converter on the VW is just unproven.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th May 2021 at 05:46. Reason: Punctuation
turbo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 15:47   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

14.2 L OTR in Bangalore , that is the top spec i20's price. I don't think Hyundai is even thinking of any of their competitors.

i20 is the benchmark, like it or not. The search for a premium hatch ends right there.
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 16:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

I on the other hand think the Polo has become more desirable thanks to introduction of the brilliant Torque Converter gearbox. It is a great match to 1.0 Tsi.

A lot of people including myself has stayed away from the GT Tsi all these years because of the DSG woes. And this engine gearbox combo is even faster than the 1.2 Tsi with DSG. If you want more space, there is the Vento and Rapid to consider, fun size sedans.
Altocumulus is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 16:36   #6
BHPian

Voted for Polo. As old as the Polo's design/platform maybe, it still carries the TSI engine under it's hood, which simply cannot be overlooked. Since your requirement only states 'fun' and 'fast', then Polo should be the answer.

i20 is more of a practical choice with it's space, features and all.
sen2693 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 16:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
i20 is the benchmark, like it or not. The search for a premium hatch ends right there.
It might be the benchmark. But chances are, people shopping between these two would also lay their eyes on a Vento/Rapid at the showroom. On of my friends got a Highline plus automatic for 15.5 lakhs.

You get a full blown sedan for that price. More practical than the i20 and more value.

It might be an easy poll but the real world decisions maybe slightly different.
Turbohead is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 19:28   #8
BHPian

In the context of the poll at least, I am in the minority here.

While Polo AT has surely become more desirable, thanks to (supposedly) more reliable TC gearbox, I feel it DOES NOT deserve to be sold here anymore. Reason? We deserve the new-gen Polo, simple as that! Not only does it look dated, its second row is extremely cramped, which limits the overall practicality, which I feel is a must in a hatchback.

And before you come to me with bricks and bats, I feel the i20 too fails to justify the price tag. While it surely has great interior quality, a more modern gearbox, and a usable second row, it's priced too optimistically. If it was priced even a lac lower, would have been terrific VFM. And I am not even talking of the dicey safety ratings here!

The Altroz could have been a brilliant package, but the usual Tata laziness showed up at the last second. It should either get the modern 6-speed gearbox, or a good DCT (in the works?), and it can surely disrupt the segment, with its somewhat sensible pricing and 5-star safety rating.
Utsav3010 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 19:41   #9
anb
BHPian

I will prefer Polo any day over i20. Polo’s compact size is boon in city traffic while the i20 is too wide. There are endless modifying possibly for Polo with coilovers, shock absorbers, anti-rolls bars, bigger brakes, remaps etc. The Hyundai is not very mod friendly.
anb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 20:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Now, both these cars are evenly matched (or close to evenly matched) in performance
I don’t know what you mean when you say evenly matched as the Polo GT TSI is a whopping 1.5 seconds faster to 100 kmph than Hyundai’s 1.0 GDI 7 DCT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
the polo has been kept flogging on with the same PQ25 platform.
That is it’s single largest strength, Every successor platform made by VW especially the notorious MQ*** is a compromise and feels that way. Drive the 1.8 TSI Octavia - the Polo is more stable. So if you’re looking for a competent platform, grab this while you can. The new ones will not be as good as this ever again.
AMG Power is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 21:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power;5061346
[B
That is it’s single largest strength,[/b] Every successor platform made by VW especially the notorious MQ*** is a compromise and feels that way. Drive the 1.8 TSI Octavia - the Polo is more stable. So if you’re looking for a competent platform, grab this while you can. The new ones will not be as good as this ever again.
Agree! PQ25 feels way more solid and stable at high speed. MQB feels way lighter - the octy has rattles all over.
reignofchaos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 08:24   #12
BHPian

Honestly with what VW still offers and milk the Indian customers with the oldest polo across the globe, I wouldn’t touch the current Indian Polo with a pole whatever engine it has to offer. And the 0-100 mentioned in the above posts by other respectable members makes little sense because when the 1.0 GDI DCT is in manual mode, the GDI engine is much faster, just check the powerdrift video of Sonet DCT vs Manual City v-Tec where the 1.5 v-Tec manual couldn’t match the 1.0 GDI DCT and yes, that surprised me as well for all the talks on how vTec kicks in. But have to agree that the DCT on stock mode is more tuned towards mileage and reliability than outright performance and these 0-100’s matters very less in most of our daily uses and I would suggest you to check the in-gear accelerations like 20-80 or 40-100 which makes more sense on our roads and highways, that is if performance is what you are looking for. For a 1 second or 2 second difference in timing, I would suggest that it doesn’t matter until you are on a track race where every millisecond counts.

And below are the timings of DCT in a Venue vs iMT and manual and you can see the significant difference in timing between them in 20-80 and 40-100 runs where the differences are around the 4-5 second mark. I expect the i20 to also have similar or even better timings. The DCT is much faster when you engage the manual mode. Even the Verna DCT takes the blame for 0-100 timings, but when you are on the move, the car is significantly faster than the older 1.6NA engine. I would suggest you to test drive the i20 DCT, Venue DCT and Verna DCT(again, different testing conditions are going to give different timings based on an innumerable number of factors).
VW Polo GT TSI 6-AT vs Hyundai i20 Turbo GDI 7-DCT-a78471206fe54a0da8b46afd23a5e42e.jpeg

And on the i20 GDI DCT with that exhorbitant price doesn’t make sense too. It looks good, has all the features, a really well laid out cabin but still I wouldn’t pay 14L for a hatchback, unless it has something like the 1.4 GDI for example, where you can atleast mention that your hatchback flies like a rocket. The pricing is way too much when you can spend a bit more and get a fully fledged Sonet, Venue or even a decently equipped City variant. If length is your worry, all the sub compact SUV’s also measures same as the i20, so I would suggest to look into them as well.

Still if only these two are the only cars in your list, I would imagine that you will be happier in an i20 with their features and service network on offer. But still on the other corner, the car isnt crash tested and that side also worries me. Tough decision honestly, wish you the best here.
Xaos636 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 08:39   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Polo GT TSI 6-AT vs Hyundai i20 Turbo GDI 7-DCT

Hyundai has drastically improved its suspension tuning. The new i20 has sorted road manners, while I would actually call cars like the new Creta 1.4 turbo-petrol to be "fun to drive" on the open road. Who would've thought??? That being said:

- As amazing as Hyundai's turbo-petrol is, VW's motor is a little more insane, revv-happier and redline-friendly.

- The Polo's behaviour still has a maturity that the i20 doesn't have. Try a mid-corner bump at 90 kmph in both cars. I voted for the Polo.

- If you want a fun-to-drive Hyundai hatchback, consider the Grand i10 Turbo instead. Man, now that's a pocket rocket! Distinctly tighter & more chuckable than the i20. Heck, the Aura too! I came back from a highway drive in the Aura 1.0 Turbo and had a wide plastered on my face for the rest of the day.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 08:42   #14
BANNED

There is a difference between the new wine in a can vs new wine in an old, but well designed bottle.

Polo may look old, but having driven the new i20 as well;Polo offers the following:
Advantages:
  • Way better ride and handling
  • Super stable high speed manners
  • Better set of brakes
  • The VW TC is a revelation in itself, who offers such a well appointed TC gearbox in any car under even 30 lac? It is a TC, but shifts like a DSG, quick to downshift, and holds well too - I was surprised when I drove it
  • The height adjustable armrest offers the real use. Its size and height adjustable nature makes it a properly useable armrest
  • One touch operation in all windows is something you may ignore, but is a very well thought out and extremely useful feature
  • The interior is more designed for function than form, typical German
  • Solid build

Disadvantages:
  • It's not a family car, especially if even one member is tall
  • It's old now, no matter how much we try to justify, but the design is 10 years old

i20 didn't impress me only on one front, that was driving experience; and the hollowness you feel while driving one, in terms of both ride and stability. Else is a better appointed package overall.
VKumar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 16:11   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

It’s simple!

If you want a car loaded with features and bit more space for the family, then the i20, in other places like driving feel, revv-happy nature, handling, chuck-ability in a corner; the Polo owns the i20 hands down!
CEF_Beasts is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks