Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2007, 22:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

I never thought this would happen.... but dad had a drive in a wagon R duo and decided that he WONT drive that car .
apparently what made him decide against the wagon R was

1) the hood was still not visible apparently
2) the front pillar obstructed

But the more different reasons here are
# The throttle was too responsive. Apparently he didn't like it. Comparatively the more tame (sluggish?) diesel indica was more his style
# the car was too silent. Guess its a carry over from his ambassador days, but he needs to 'feel' the engine to change gears .
Either way , the above two options rule out most modern petrols

so we're back to getting a diesel maintenance issues notwithstanding. Probably an indica diesel as previously indicated.

Any pointers about buying second hand diesels?
Old 13th May 2007, 00:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Get an Ikon 1.8D , will be far better than the beat up old Indica. BTW, your dad is probably thinking of buying an old amby & plonking a matador engine like the good old days.
Old 13th May 2007, 01:02   #18
BHPian

good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Get an Ikon 1.8D , will be far better than the beat up old Indica. BTW, your dad is probably thinking of buying an old amby & plonking a matador engine like the good old days.
Getting a matador fitted amby is not a bad idea. My diesel amby has covered more than 370,000 kms without any engine trouble. My engine is super silent and i am planning to put an isuzu gearbox to make it more driveable. And in these days of horrible traffic i prefer my amby to adventure for city use. I get 11.3 kms in city and 14.5 in highway.

The thing which prevents people from going for an option like this is simply their ego and nothing else.
Old 13th May 2007, 03:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

man buying a second hand indica and that to in good condition is very difficult as most they have clocked 6 digit mileage figures be carefull and take a trustable mechanic with you but is engine sound you want then a carb m800 would be good and in your price range you can get to easily

but buying a second hand deisel is still no no

an 1.8d ikon would be good

Last edited by manikjeet : 13th May 2007 at 03:06.
Old 13th May 2007, 13:19   #20
Team-BHP Support

Is it possible to get a lancer diesel for 2L or thereabouts? I dont know about the price but looks like a good option for you.
Old 13th May 2007, 13:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Yes get an Ikon D. Not sure engine noise is loud enough to your dad's liking. But to make it more sluggish you can probably put some weights in a suitcases and put it in the boot and under the seats. (GC might suffer though)
Old 13th May 2007, 13:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
1) the hood was still not visible apparently
2) the front pillar obstructed
Same thing will happen in the Indica too. The A-pillar obstructs visibility, and if you are (or are below) 5'7" , you cant see the hood either. I even find the pedal positioning funny.
So go for an old cheap Zen (<1-1.2L), learn on it, and then get yourself a new Indica.
Old 13th May 2007, 14:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
Getting a matador fitted amby is not a bad idea. My diesel amby has covered more than 370,000 kms without any engine trouble. My engine is super silent and i am planning to put an isuzu gearbox to make it more driveable. And in these days of horrible traffic i prefer my amby to adventure for city use. I get 11.3 kms in city and 14.5 in highway.

The thing which prevents people from going for an option like this is simply their ego and nothing else.
Heh, i asked him, and the last amby he drove really HAD a matador engine !

Either way the reason why we wanted a second hand was to learn driving on. but then that would mean extra maintainence costs . So decided to get new indica instead and take care of the damages instead. Maintainence due to old age is unavoidable. The occasional bump n scratch? Guess we'll risk it

Thanks for all your help folks . Will report back soon !
Old 13th May 2007, 14:29   #24
Team-BHP Support

Great choice, make sure you get extended warranty, most dealers give it free. Also you will get 7.99% interest rate if you go through Tata motor finance and the EMI will be kept in control.
Old 13th May 2007, 14:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
. So decided to get new indica instead and take care of the damages instead. Maintainence due to old age is unavoidable. The occasional bump n scratch? Guess we'll risk it

Thanks for all your help folks . Will report back soon !
Congrats! So are you going for the Turbo or NA.
Indica Turbo DLG is a great VFM in my opinion.
Old 13th May 2007, 15:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Congrats! So are you going for the Turbo or NA.
Indica Turbo DLG is a great VFM in my opinion.
Go for a the turbo models only as they are alot better

go for the turbo dlg and not turbo dls as the dlg has more power but which ever you get
get the one with power stearing
Old 13th May 2007, 16:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Yes get an Ikon D. Not sure engine noise is loud enough to your dad's liking. But to make it more sluggish you can probably put some weights in a suitcases and put it in the boot and under the seats. (GC might suffer though)
You dont want to make the Ikon D more sluggish, mate. Not unless you want one of the passengers to get out and help it along...
Old 13th May 2007, 18:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

At last your dad did make the wiser choice.
Old 15th May 2007, 00:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
You dont want to make the Ikon D more sluggish, mate. Not unless you want one of the passengers to get out and help it along...
Good one Steer!!!!
Old 15th May 2007, 20:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

I went to Kulathunkal , the dealer for Tata here .
Despite an ad stating 5.99% finance for the xeta , and 7.99 for the Diesels , The salesman refused to admit that such an offer was available , in fact , he said that 8.99 was available , and that too for petrols !

Either way, they offered us a 14K package of acessories , which i said no to, and in lieu of which i get a 10 k cash discount.

on road Prices quoted
DLS BS3= 4.03 -.1 = 3.93
DLG Turbo = 4.37 -.1 = 4.27

Can i get them any cheaper in EKM perhaps ? I'll have to go there to get My ICE installed anyway

also they said the bright red paint scheme was discontinued :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks