Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2007, 21:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

second hand Diesel <=2l

It seems dad's having problems getting to terms with driving an indica ( he cant see the hood it seems , and since the last time he drove was prolly before i was born, and the first time i drove was probably a few months ago for my driving test, both of us came to the conclusion that tis better that we learn on a second hand car, n then graduate to a new car.Bottom line , as always , is minimum running cost. will be running about 40 odd Km a day.
My First thought was a indica V2 or later diesel,but i heard that indicas don't exactly age gracefully and tend to show their age after , say 60 odd K Km . the budget is less than or equal to 2Lakh. Any recommendations ? other alternatives are wagon R's /Santro's fitted with LPG conversion kits.
Old 8th May 2007, 22:02   #2
BHPian

Hi!

I have an Indica that's done 48k kms and it certainly shows no signs of ageing right now. Engine is in great shape, I still get 12-14 kmpl in the city with the air-con on. Paint job still has the lustre and interiors are looking fine. I guess its ultimately a case of what sort of car you find.

With your budget you should get an Indica thats run about 55-68k kms. Look for body work, check the service history and make sure you take a good test drive, in bumper to bumper traffic as well as an open stretch. A well maintained car should not give you any trouble I would think. Also, considering you guys want to hone your driving skills on the car, the Indica is probably your best bet. It tends to be more receptive to abuse than a lot of other cars I've owned or driven.

Hope this is helpful.

Kartik
Old 8th May 2007, 22:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Seems that getting a second hand diesel is not the wisest thing to do. What do you guys think i should do ?
Old 8th May 2007, 22:46   #4
BANNED

its better u go for a second hand zen better milege and good in city.....
Old 9th May 2007, 00:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenopio View Post
I totally agree, buying a second hand Diesel car doesnot make sense as maintainance will certainly be high. Get a Zen it will be easy to learn on and wont give you a headache in terms of service.
Old 9th May 2007, 08:16   #6
BHPian

Going for a diesel second hand is not much advisable as it would have already been run and used a lot. So maintainance may cost you dear. I would suggest you to pick up a Zen preferrably the older carb engine one which is perfect to learn driving on. Considering the milage factor, you always have the options open for petrol cars, viz LPG and CNG.

Sagar.
Old 9th May 2007, 08:28   #7
BHPian

Maruti 800 - Excellent first car, you can get good cars for your price range. Maintanence is low. Resale value is good too

Santro Xing - With new models flooding the market and people tending to upgrade their cars. Look for people from the corporate world. They tend to use the car less and you might end up with a good deal

Wagon R, falls in the same category as above. The only hitch would be, you would get a 2002 model for a price of 2L or less.

Investing on a diesel for a newbie is a waste of time and money.
You end up spending time on the garage ...instead of learning driving.

Last edited by raajks : 9th May 2007 at 08:29.
Old 9th May 2007, 08:50   #8
BHPian

Try second hand Santros, Wagon R or Old model zens in the 2002 model range. This should come in the 2 L Budget. Investing on a second hand diesel (especially Indica) is not a wise thing to do unless you are planning to use that as a taxi or a pickup vehicle.
Old 9th May 2007, 09:56   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

You're better off with an Alto fitted with an LPG kit
Old 9th May 2007, 10:26   #10
Team-BHP Support

As many others have already informed, do not plonk your money on a second hand diesel. If all you require is a car to hone and perfect your driving skills, may i suggest a M800. Comes cheap, low on maintenance and not so difficult to acquire.

That aside, if you think not being able to predict where the front end of the Indica is the main issue here, you could probably get those pointers fixed to the sides, which help very much. Different issue altogether that they would look like horns to many.
Old 9th May 2007, 10:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenopio View Post
2nd hand zen, convert to LPG is a good deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
You're better off with an Alto fitted with an LPG kit
Alto with a LPG kit & you might never want to sell the car.

Quote:
look like horns to many
Did you just say that it looks horny ??
Old 9th May 2007, 11:00   #12
Team-BHP Support

Second hand diesel car? Well most people sell diesel's when they are end of life or done 80K+ kms. People who buy diesel cars do because they drive a lot.
So below 2L you have a rickety old diesel abused to the end of life.

My advice, buy the alto petrol brand new and enjoy 15kmpl in city, or convert it to LPG and give Splendor guys a complex.
Old 9th May 2007, 11:06   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Did you just say that it looks horny ??
I said those horns would help in predicting the corners of the front of the car, and not that they look horny.
Old 9th May 2007, 12:11   #14
BHPian

Hummmmmm !!!

Quote:
My advice, buy the alto petrol brand new and enjoy 15kmpl in city, or convert it to LPG and give Splendor guys a complex.
It is a best car for learning, fun to drive and also backed by very good A.S.S..
Old 9th May 2007, 16:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

15 KM for Rs.27.50 is like Rs. 1.83 per KM, now how will that give a complex to the splendour guys unless it is a 2 stroke 15 bhp splendour.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks