Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2007, 16:24   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_ms View Post
have seen lot of ladies driving santro than Wagon R in bangalore
Oh you are suggesting that ladies prefer driving Santro over Wagon ?
Old 10th May 2007, 17:43   #17
BHPian

i am not suggesting... just telling what i saw and what i feel... i may be wrong.
Old 10th May 2007, 17:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Good option would be to try the Santro. Not that I feel there is any problems with the other cars mentioned, but Santro takes my vote.
Then the whole objective of FE gets chucked off... For City always go for a Maruti, better FE, low maintenance cost....

Somebody was also mentioning about Alto being underpowered, What has power to do in city boss? It has an excellent AC and with 2 people u can enjoy AC in Alto plus a higher FE....
Alto is not that bad either !!! Take it to a long drive sometime you will not regret...Looks like I am to biased towards my car.,..but anyway thats what I think...

Abhi
Old 10th May 2007, 18:36   #19
Team-BHP Support

If you can live with the cramped interiors and a little bit of a sedate car when the AC is on I would say Alto is the best fit for your friend. Low and easy maintenance, best FE amongst all the mentioned cars etc...

Also remember, Xeta GLX may be a bit of an overkill for your friend. It has a 1400cc engine, way bigger than the others. Power is more and so will be the affinity for petrol. IMO, if he needs it for two people he should look at the GLG.

WagonR DUO can also be looked into. Again, LPG will make it cheaper to run (though LPG dispensers are probably not so common in Delhi).
Old 10th May 2007, 18:38   #20
BHPian

the wagon R (amongst the 3) seems to be better for you.
that is, if you are okay with its looks...
personally i'd go for a santro if i must.
Old 11th May 2007, 10:18   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Then the whole objective of FE gets chucked off... For City always go for a Maruti, better FE, low maintenance cost....

Somebody was also mentioning about Alto being underpowered, What has power to do in city boss? It has an excellent AC and with 2 people u can enjoy AC in Alto plus a higher FE....
Alto is not that bad either !!! Take it to a long drive sometime you will not regret...Looks like I am to biased towards my car.,..but anyway thats what I think...

Abhi
Abhi, I am not sayng the Alto is bad in any way...
I was just helping him choose a car in a slightly higher segment, since he can afford it. I am sure your Alto has given you immense pride of ownership and continues to serve you well.
Old 11th May 2007, 11:00   #22
BHPian

Already had one Alto LXi (Bro's) at home, and I was looking for a car for myself recently. My final choices were Wagon R and Xeta and eventually decided for Wagon R. Let me summarise it for you:

Alto:
- Best at FE
- Looks are pretty good
- Bad at space - Moving in and out is difficult
- Feels highly underpowered, with AC on. Even you may have to switch the AC off, if you have to cross flyover.

Xeta:
- Great at space
- Good at looks
- Comfort level is best among the three.
- Low at fuel-efficiency (but you have an option of dealer fitted CNG kit, which also keeps your warranty intact)
- Big size has its disadvantages - like difficult to manuevre in Delhi traffic and narrow lanes. You have to think twice before pressing the pedal for tight overtake.
- Small irritants - Like distance between steering and driver, high position of pedals, high dashboard that may pose big problem for lady drivers.
- And most important : As per my research (not actual experience) - you have to tackle the reliability issue of Tata (petrol) vehicle. There could be small niggling issues every now and then.

Wagon R:
- Good looks (I think so )
- Good FE
- Great AC
- Engine is super smooth.
- Wonderful handling in city traffic (it seems an extension of yourself)
- Comfort: better than Alto but not as good as Xeta
- Gearbox is notchy, it shifts with difficulty esp in 5th and reverse
- You will get it at 3.65 (LXI) and 3.90 (VXI) - Delhi on road prices.

My vote goes for Wagon R. Now you have to decide.
Old 11th May 2007, 11:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio118 View Post
Already had one Alto LXi (Bro's) at home, and I was looking for a car for myself recently. My final choices were Wagon R and Xeta and eventually decided for Wagon R. Let me summarise it for you:

Alto:
- Best at FE
- Looks are pretty good
- Bad at space - Moving in and out is difficult
- Feels highly underpowered, with AC on. Even you may have to switch the AC off, if you have to cross flyover.

Xeta:
- Great at space
- Good at looks
- Comfort level is best among the three.
- Low at fuel-efficiency (but you have an option of dealer fitted CNG kit, which also keeps your warranty intact)
- Big size has its disadvantages - like difficult to manuevre in Delhi traffic and narrow lanes. You have to think twice before pressing the pedal for tight overtake.
- Small irritants - Like distance between steering and driver, high position of pedals, high dashboard that may pose big problem for lady drivers.
- And most important : As per my research (not actual experience) - you have to tackle the reliability issue of Tata (petrol) vehicle. There could be small niggling issues every now and then.

Wagon R:
- Good looks (I think so )
- Good FE
- Great AC
- Engine is super smooth.
- Wonderful handling in city traffic (it seems an extension of yourself)
- Comfort: better than Alto but not as good as Xeta
- Gearbox is notchy, it shifts with difficulty esp in 5th and reverse
- You will get it at 3.65 (LXI) and 3.90 (VXI) - Delhi on road prices.

My vote goes for Wagon R. Now you have to decide.
A really helpful comaprison. I'm sure tilting towards Wagon R...but one more probable entry now as suggested by ppl here - Santro Xing.
Old 11th May 2007, 12:25   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Xeta:
On the above two issues,
- How low is low? I mean if you compare it with either Alto or 800, yes it is low. However otherwise a GLG or GLS (not GLX) will happily give you between 12.5 and 13.5 in city with AC on. You can rest assured on that count. You can also be sure that any other car in the A2 segment will not give you a huge difference in FE figures. And this is first hand experience.

- Well, it is more of a myth than fact. As in leaving aside those one off cases (and there will be parallels available for any brand, so Xeta is nothing special) Xeta does not have any reliability issues as such. And when you say reliability I hope you actually mean reliability. Niggles like not-so-good quality plastic, rubber beadings etc do not qualify as reliability issues (they are more subjective than being objective POVs).
Old 11th May 2007, 12:40   #25
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Alto:
I agree with almost everything you have said. Except that you don't really need to switch off the AC when climbing on flyovers in the city, you may just need to shift to third gear. Switching off AC is recommended to avoid overheating/high revs when you are doing a sustained climb (such as, climbing a ghat) or when going up a really steep slope for which you need first/second gears.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks