Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2007, 18:51   #1
BHPian

Second Hand Accent CRDi or New Swift VDI?

Friends,
Iam in a big dilemma. i am trying to get a comfortable 5 seat diesel car for my parents. My priorities as below:

1. CRDi
2. FE
3. Maintenance Free
4. 5 Seater (not expecting to be like corolla, at least an Accent should do!)

I prefer a Japanese car as the only euro diesel Octavia's hi-maintenance costs puts me off. Simply big NO to continentals, TATA, Logan etc !

Iam pondering between a second hand (2003 onwards) Accent CRDi or a brand new Swift VDI. My dad is very happy with the Santro's ride quality and low maintenance costs (touchwood!) The only issue about VDI is its rear seats. Are they comfortable for 3 persons for longer drives? This is the only thing I want to get clarified.

With Accent, how about the spare availability as it is almost in the verge of getting obsolute!

Has anybody simply measured the width of the rear seats of these swift. is it that bad? why i read so many negative comments?

Pls shed some lights on this dilemma...thanks so much in adv.

OR simply I should wait for Getz which I hope comes with the same Accent's CRDi engine with all other pluses of a Getz!

Last edited by sgmuser : 13th May 2007 at 18:55.
Old 13th May 2007, 20:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

sgmuser ,are you on a budget since you considered the octavia, i think you should look at the Verna CRDi.The fiesta TDCi is euro-diesel too.

Quote:
The only issue about VDI is its rear seats. Are they comfortable for 3 persons for longer drives? This is the only thing I want to get clarified.
This I can say from personal experience no,three can sit alright but noway comfortably.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 13th May 2007 at 20:13.
Old 13th May 2007, 22:25   #3
nbr
BHPian

SWIFT Vdi wud be my choice since it comes with a juicy engine and maintenence wise, it gonna be lleast since its a maruti. Yes, agreed SWIFT rear seats aren't the best ones to be seated for long drives, but that is not a big issue if u can manage with those huge front seats.At this price, its the SWIFT D whch is technlogiically superior and holds its value well.
Avoid the second hand VIVA, as it will be high on maintenence since it is a diesel , and the servicing costs of an orphaned model tends to become more as the days roll by.
The other 5 seater diesel would be the BOLERO , again icomes with its own ups and downs.The best part of this vehicle is the price, cheap spares,fe and more seats than a car.But, the engine won't deliver u great speeds and is known for bumpy ride.
SO,THE ONLY FEASIBLE OPTION IS TO BUY THE SWIFT VDi, FOR THE BUDGET PUT FORTH BY U.
Old 13th May 2007, 22:28   #4
BANNED

It is clearly mentioned in your priority list that you need atleast an Accent. So, I think you should go forward with that.

I think Swift will be a small car for you.

Instead of going for a 2nd hand Accent, you should either get a Verna or a brand new Accent.
Old 13th May 2007, 22:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

A 2nd hand diesel car is not a safe bet. Also many Accent CRDi have been facing problems after high running, keep that in mind before making your decision.
Old 13th May 2007, 23:29   #6
BHPian

dude,first be clear on the fact whether or not you want the boot.considering that the cars in your mind belong to 2 different segments,this is of utmost importance!
if the boot is necessary,then you dont have to think twice-its the accent crdi!if you dont need the boot,go for the swift vdi.the car is newer,the engine is newer,its more refined and more fuel efficient.as regards your concerns of the rear seats,i dont know about the swift but the accent with its low rear seats is not too good either.i have owned a crdi and the rear passengers always used to complain of poor leg-room.its mainly because of the low-seating position!
many are giving complaints regarding the fuel pump of the accent crdi,but personally i didnt face any problems.as long as you fill up in a reputed pump,you wont have any problems!
Old 13th May 2007, 23:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Pick up a 2nd hand ELANTRA CRDi. You wont regret it. The rear seats are broad, though the seating is slightly low.

Throw in Pete's Box and you have a car that will leave more expensive petrols red-faced.
Old 13th May 2007, 23:39   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Pick up a 2nd hand ELANTRA CRDi. You wont regret it. The rear seats are broad, though the seating is slightly low.

Throw in Pete's Box and you have a car that will leave more expensive petrols red-faced.

.. If not the swift would be my choice ..
Old 13th May 2007, 23:41   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

You'd feel shortchanged if we recommended the Swift - primarily on account of your 4.75 seater requirement. That factors in Hyundai CRDi as suggested above, the Elantra. That Pete's box and an Elantra are just made for each other
Old 14th May 2007, 04:30   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
That Pete's box and an Elantra are just made for each other
Elantra was in my mind, but, finding a second hand one, i thought , will be difficult. btw, whats that pete's box?
Old 14th May 2007, 09:37   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Elantra was in my mind, but, finding a second hand one, i thought , will be difficult. btw, whats that pete's box?
Lifted from their website:
Quote:
Pete’s Tuning Box is a RISC Micro processor controlled digital system that increases the power and torque of turbo diesel engines by upto 30%. The improved power and torque relates directly to the gain in performance, smoothness, pulling power and much better overall efficiency of the engine. It is a simple box that plugs into the engine with OE connectors and requires only 10 to 15 minutes to fix or remove.
Its a box that perciptibly increases the torque on diesel vehicles. And there is such an Elantra CRDi with the Pete's dabba in Bangalore - and its difficult to see that car thru normal vision - it can only be seen in real slow-motion frames from a high-speed camera. It moves.

Visit Pete's Performance Products - their site for details.
Old 14th May 2007, 11:07   #12
BHPian

Since back seat is of importance, Accent CRDi is the best bet. Swift backseats are narrow and the rear seat passengers get claustrophobic because of small windows, especially old people. But you need to choose a good second hand car or else your maintenance costs tends to be high...
Old 14th May 2007, 11:31   #13
BHPian

If swift D is in your consideration then Fusion TDCi is expected in July. It will surely be in your list and worth a purchase.
Old 14th May 2007, 19:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
If swift D is in your consideration then Fusion TDCi is expected in July
I mentioned already that NO to Americans!

hmmm... ok, regarding the Swift's rear seats, let me clarify first. As I reside out of india almost 10 months in a year, the chances are the rear seats will be occupied 3 persons most of the times, very rarely 4. When I come back for holidays I go out and drive atleast 3000-4000 kms occupying 5 seats. (adds to 10k-15k in a year) in those two months.

Parents will use it as their shopping and other short trips car mostly. Thats why I am looking for a 5 seater with high FE diesel. I dont think one needs to drive 80kms per day to justify diesel nowadays as Swift broke all those rules with its low maintenance and better driveability than its petrol sibling. So, still Swift holds high scores over accent crdi, as I believe, Swift is a no nonsense modern machine.

Elantra and Octavia : bigger engine (1.9l/2l) /car translates to hi-maintenance costs rite?

Boot : Not a must at all. In India I can manage with the top luggage shelf to my airport trips! Other than that, doesn't matter too much.

As someone mentioned, Accents lowly seats are a now a worry for me. But are Accent CRDi's are of hi-maintenance stuffs?

Pls pour ideas and suggestions.
Old 15th May 2007, 02:10   #15
Team-BHP Support

A little OT... and I hope I am not hijacking the thread but what is the price of a new Accent CRDi nowadays? The Hyundai site has not been updated in ages. It still shows the discontinued models (Viva, GLS) and the prices are those before the Verna came in. The Accent CRDi is shown as costing close to 7lacs OTR in hyderabad(6.92 to be exact). But I guess the actual prices are much lesser now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks