Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2007, 04:15   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMyDust View Post
Guys! Thanks for the response...

Need two more things from u guys:

1. Comparision of FE between 1.6 SWIFT vxi?
I hear 1.6 will give about 9.5 in city and swift gives about 12.5 in city (both fig. with AirCon on) is it true?

2. What about cost of spares?

How much do a Oil filter, Petrol filter, Air filter and front brake pads, rear brake shoes cost on either of the machines?
As far as the mileage there wont be a big difference. In city swift may give 11.5 and 1.6 may give 10-11 , in highway 1.6 will deliver between 13.5 to 16.5 depending on your driving style. And swift will give around 14-17 .

And price of the parts, there is no comparison between two as palio is very very cheap. An oil filter costs rs 82, fuel filter costs rs 78 in palio and air filter 225 . In swift fuel filter 407, oil filter 74, air filter 240 . A bumper costs 1782 in palio and a swift bumper more than rs 1739. Brake pads of palio-1180, swift 3616.

Palio has got fun factor attached to its engine. You can feel torque. A swift hardly can match palios ride and handling. And rear seats of swift is very narrow and ride is very harsh.

Go to the team-bhp thread titled rattling , you can see many posts deal with swift s' rattling. And gear shift etc, you should take a TD.
Old 21st May 2007, 11:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

guys what are we comparing here.

1596 cc with a 1298 cc engine
100bhp@5500rpm with 87bhp@6000rpm
137Nm@4250rpm with 113Nm @4500rpm

Now if anyone cant afford an F.E figures mentioned by the FIAT 1.6 users in this forum, i'm so sorry to say this but you are just not eligible to enjoy the vehicle. If you really look at the price range maruti sells its vehicles and have to commonsense to compare what you are really getting you would really know what could be called value for money. Common man, if i can get a FIAT Adventure at the price of a MAruti Swift Vdi!!!! Personally i would prefer to spend some time with my service guys to ensure they do their job and driving around in comfort and class all the other time rather than having it the otherway round.

guys compare the stile 1.1 with the swift. that would make more sense. There is no comparison to the FIAT 1.6 engine till date in India. You need to experience it to know how silky it feels.
take care and drive safe.
Old 21st May 2007, 11:52   #33
BHPian

Welcome to the forum EMD ( Eat my dust :-) ) , Good to see you make some cost-benefit analysis for all the cars , for you I Think the best choice would be to go for a new launch model such as Spark, Palio Stile etc . This is because these models are not commonly seen on the roads and we immediately tend to notice them whenever we see on the roads. Go TD of the new launches and then decide ! You may have to wait some time for the delivery though ...
Old 21st May 2007, 11:58   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no comparison to the FIAT 1.6 engine till date in India.
you obviously have not heard of a car called the Baleno my friend. and before you start jumping and branding me anti fiat, let me tell you that I own a Palio as well- a March 2006 1.2 ELX.

however, coming back to the topic, I feel taht as a car, the Palio 1.6 is deifnitely a better buy than an swift. Dont know if in its new Stile avtaar, fiat is offering ABS on the 1.6- if it is then it is definitely safer than the swift as well. However, what lets the Palio down horribly is the ownership experience, where Maruti is far ahead.

IMHO, the true rival to the Palio 1.6 would be the swift with teh engine of the OMB or the SX4- Damn! now we are taking!
Old 21st May 2007, 12:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

yes himanshu. i have never had a chance to drive one of those. I've heard they are pretty good but i never felt interested since i never felt like sitting on the way too low seats of the baleno and all that BLACK interiors. Maybe i too have missed out something but no regrets as such. But why has maruti stopped that in india. Any views on that.
Old 21st May 2007, 12:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
you obviously have not heard of a car called the Baleno my friend. and before you start jumping and branding me anti fiat, let me tell you that I own a Palio as well- a March 2006 1.2 ELX.
I am sorry. I don't want to open up the debate once again, but I would rather rate Honda City 1.5 engine higher than Baleno 1.6. And, Baleno 1.6 is definitely not a match to Palio 1.6, which produces some 7-8 bhp extra. Baleno engine sure has very nice flat torque though.
Old 21st May 2007, 12:26   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
guys what are we comparing here.

100bhp@5500rpm with
It is actually 100PS which works out to roughly 98 BHP. Still a good differential. Plus the Stile 1.6 should be lighter - I have opened the bonnet and it is definitely lighter. So it should be a scorcher.

But still the ABS option on the Swift has not been matched by the Palio's.
Old 21st May 2007, 12:36   #38
Senior - BHPian

Excuse me if I may sound rude, but, haven't you guys discussed what a wonderful car-employing groundbreaking technology-doing what no other car in it's segment does-being built like a tank-delivering amazing FE-inspite of 100PS @5500 rpm and two camshafts, the FIAT Palio already on quite a few threads?
Frankly, it's getting a little tiring to read the same thing over and over again.
Old 21st May 2007, 12:44   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Exactly my point. If all hatches-related threads become a Palio's God's gift to mankind thread and therefore lose all sensibility and objectivity, then maybe such threads should only allow discompassionate owners to post.

Sorry that it sounded harsh. But reading the same trite everywhere takes away the fun factor associated with this nice forum.
Old 21st May 2007, 12:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
Excuse me if I may sound rude, but, haven't you guys discussed what a wonderful car-employing groundbreaking technology-doing what no other car in it's segment does-being built like a tank-delivering amazing FE-inspite of 100PS @5500 rpm and two camshafts, the FIAT Palio already on quite a few threads?Frankly, it's getting a little tiring to read the same thing over and over again.
I get the drift, Mr. Mod There is no point beating dead horse, but it is equally important to reply posts, which need to put in perspective.

Anyway, I am out of this thread.
Old 21st May 2007, 12:46   #41
Senior - BHPian

It takes just a couple of fiat fans to ruin a thread. I hope we can start discussing what the thread starter wants to instead of mud slinging each other's cars. If eatmydust wants a palio, he will let us know.

@eatmydust.... please do a search for fiat & you will come across many plus & minus of this great vehicle. & the same stale arguments as well.
cheers
Old 21st May 2007, 12:58   #42
Senior - BHPian

@ all the people arguing in this thread specially finnyp & C3PO

The Palio wont be able to match the Swifts FE in an condition, yes Palio does return 3-4-6-8-10 in City driving depending on driving style buttttttttttt if your looking at FE, please dont look at the Palio.

I am a total Fiat fan, and i would not recomend the Palio to you EMD, yes i had recomended in the earliers posts buttt now i realised that Palio is just toooooo old in the tooth now, its been selling from 2001 and we are in mid 2007, The only difference between the Palio of 2001 and 2007 is new headlights and tail lights, instead plonk in for a Swift. Thought for Sheer VFM and performancem the Swift doesnot come close enough to the Palio, but performance is not the only thing and since you are looking for FE, dump the Palio, the A.S.S is horid even with Tata, The Tata Fiat Dealership dont care a damn about Fiat Vehicle owners(as if they do about Tata Vehicle Owners) and have a very I DONT CARE ATTITUDE TOWARDS THEIR CUSTOMERS. I can say this from personal opinion when 2 months back i had gone to buy a Palio 1.6 Stile i was promised a test drive which is still pending and no one attended to me all were busy with themselves, when a sales man finally came and i asked him about the Palio, he tried to convince me that a Indica is much better and i should opt for that instead.

@ Geminithomas - Adventure's engine & Swift VDi's engine cant be compared. Both engines are made by Fiat but the torque and efficency of the 1.3L engine is far superior then the Adventure's, and all cars in India made by Fiat are highly outdated specially the interiors, its high time Fiat get the Punto's & Linea's before they get outdated too. Heck even MUL seem to become better when to discontinue models and when to get a newer one buttttt if Fiat just wants to sell 6.5 years old cars in India with new head lamps and el-cheapo interiors then i have no respect left for them, enough said.

Last edited by BUSA : 21st May 2007 at 13:04.
Old 21st May 2007, 13:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

eatmydust, now you see the all non 1.6 users pouring in with their comments. Maybe i said something that made them realize something. Now i hope we can stop all this silly talk. My point was just that you cant really compare a 1.6 with a 1.3 and say the 1.6 has low F.E. I still feel that is a stupid comparison.
Old 21st May 2007, 13:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
Excuse me if I may sound rude, ....
Frankly, it's getting a little tiring to read the same thing over and over again.
Thank goodness the Maruti Baleno has been phased out no? And going by your logic, there should be no more new 'What Car?' threads as people can read all the old tripe in other posts in other threads. Sorry for being rude.
Old 21st May 2007, 13:19   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
now you see the all non 1.6 users pouring in with their comments. Maybe i said something that made them realize something.
Excuse me, thats your own assumption, i have a Tangerine Mist 2001 Palio 1.6 Being a Fiat owner i wouldnot blindly take their side. Fiat has its negative and you being a Fiat owner like me should also accept it.

Quote:
My point was just that you cant really compare a 1.6 with a 1.3 and say the 1.6 has low F.E. I still feel that is a stupid comparison.
Lets do one things, let compare the 1.3 DDiS engine in the Swift to the 1.9 engine in the Palio. Fiat owns the 1.3 engine themselves and still selling us crappy 1.9 engine with 63 bhp with CRDi, enough of making Indians fools by saying Fuel Quality is crap and all. Look at all manufacturers be it Tata, Mahindra, Mercedes, Renault, Toyota, Maruti, Hyundai, BMW are giving us CRDi engines.

And i would anyday perfer to buy a Swift and pep up its performance to better that of the Palio and still extract more FE, wheras in the Palio there is not much scope of mods due to the tiny engine bay.

My Palio on full throttle gives - 4.5kmpl a Swift on full throttle gives - 8.25 kmpl, PERIOD
Closed Thread

Most Viewed