View Poll Results: Your choice?
Hyundai i20 N Line 99 36.26%
VW Polo 1.0 TSI 163 59.71%
Other (please specify in your post) 11 4.03%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2021, 12:18   #31
BHPian

Re: Which quick hatchback would you buy | Hyundai i20 N Line vs VW Polo TSI vs Others

A lot of people have not driven the N Line to know the improvements Hyundai has made, or be willing to give them credit for, due to historical brand bias. I moved from a Polo GT TSI after 6 years to the N Line a few weeks ago. Why? wanted a change, wanted more space, comfort, and features as this is a daily city runabout for me.

N Line i20 only has one major niggle in my view - the turbo lag upto 2000rpm. Other than that everything else is a big win for it - the suspension and steering is now as good as the Polo in my view unless driven on the edge. The DCT box is tuned for comfort and in the city, it's very comfortable and better than the DSG which hates slow speed (again, except when really driving full tilt). Space, modern features, etc are a couple of generations ahead, so this a no-contest.

Don't know about crash tests, but if creaks/squeaks, etc are a way to measure build quality, even there Hyundai has come a very long way!

Let me put it this way, if someone de-badged and made me test drive this car, I wouldn't have called it a Hyundai.

For the record, the standard i20 steering and suspension setup just doesn't work for me, it's too loose.
Reesnat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 12:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which quick hatchback would you buy | Hyundai i20 N Line vs VW Polo TSI vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The other quick hatchback is the Figo 1.5 Diesel and some dealers might have old stock lying around at killer prices.
That would be my choice if available.

But the best option today is the Nexon EV. Well its not really a hatch but satisfies the requirement of being "Quick".
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 13:55   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
I will rather pick a Skoda Rapid Onyx AT for 13.xx on road (after discounts), it's the most sensible, practical and also fun behind the wheel is what I feel. Though old but she still manages to look contemporary at least from the front and also addresses Polo's biggest achilles heel- rear seat comfort.
+1

I agree with you.

Buying a Rapid/Vento AT would make sense buying over i20 N-Line and Polo GT TSI. Yes, it might have same engine as Polo and gives similar fun as Polo and lastly, has better rear seat comfort being a sedan.

My another option would be a Honda City MT iVTEC, which is also fun to drive and can redline the engine till 7000 RPM, along with better rear seat comfort and peace of mind being a Honda.

And, another option would be Kia Sonet Diesel AT, which I felt quick in terms of performance and in fact, felt much better to drive than its expensive siblings, i.e, Seltos/Creta due to being lightweight. DCT is also good in terms of performance but I won't get one nor recommend to get one due to transmission issues.
car_guy1998 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 15:16   #34
BHPian

Voted for the i20N, even though we drive a Polo

I feel let down by VW because, they have the new Polo for the last 4 years now in their back pocket, but are yet to bring that here. However good the old Polo is, I am sure the 2017 Gen is an improvement over the 2009 Model. We are missing 12 years of improvement, however small they are.
vinya_jag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 15:52   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
We are missing 12 years of improvement, however small they are.
The improvements are:

1. Digital screens and more digital screens
2. Penny-wise pound-foolish emission technologies that burden the customer with extra costs to buy and maintain cars
3. Fragile downsized engines that require premium RON fuels that are hard to get
4. Cutting down third party repairability, even a flat tire requires flat-bedding
5. Speed chimes
6. Disco lights that cost a bomb to replace

I struggle to think of a single invention that took place during the last decade for which I would like to pay good money.
androdev is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 17:28   #36
BHPian

Polo TSI Highline Plus – MT, any day ! I don’t get the VW steering comfort in Hyundai cars for some reason. Being an owner of Polo TSI for last 6 months, not many complaints except turbo lag in 2nd gear at 2000 rpm and cramped rear seats. It’s hard to match the build quality of Polo, as you will be safeguarded by car made of galvanized steel. Having said all this, if you carry more than a passenger frequently then you should think about little better spacious rear seated i20 N line.
safe_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 18:53   #37
BHPian

I have voted for Polo. I own a 1.0 GT and I don't think I have many reasons to complain about. I am 5'10" and I'm always the driver and the rest of the passengers from my family didn't complain about discomfort about the back seats. I think the space is alright as long as your co passengers aren't tall adults. The seats on the Polo are actually quite comfortable for long drives and offers adequate under thigh support for me at least.
I have waited specifically for the 1.0 TSI AT version and so far I'm happy with it. It makes more sense to buy Rapid/Vento. Basically, I like hatchback cars more and I also felt it was better to buy Polo than a Vento/Rapid and to save around 3 and half lakhs.

Now comes to the I20 N Line. This is actually a very good modern car no doubt. I think the drive feel is very close to the Polo and of course with more features. Practically, this would be a good car with better service network. But overall, other than the features, Polo still is a much better and solid car focuses more from a driver's point of view, who isn't very keen about fancy features.

The cost of the i20 is much higher compared to than that of Polo and if for me, I would rather buy a Vento/Rapid for that money. Or else a Nios Turbo, which I assume will be more fun to drive and lots cheaper.

At the end it all depends on the purchaser and we shall be happy as customers since we are getting many good offerings these days
Old school cars like Polo/Vento/Rapid etc are no longer and the future generations won't be as solid/with sorted dynamics or will be with some compromises and obviously with an inflated price tag. Look at Kushaq, Taigun etc.
I will still stick with Polo over I20 N Line and I know many will think the other way around. If this poll was not in our forum, but on any other platforms, then the i20 N line might have won this poll in excess of 1000s of votes.

Last edited by igemini : 27th September 2021 at 18:55.
igemini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 08:40   #38
BHPian

Relevant video!

This channel's unique in the Indian automotive scene and quite underrated.
RoadMonkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 17:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

Having driven both, I will pick the Polo for that gorgeous drivetrain + safety on our roads. And no dual clutch hassle too which means we can retain the car for longer outside of warranty too.

The Hyundai drivetrain is okay till 7/10th or so but not above that. It was often found wanting in those situations during my test drives. But I have no complaints on the ride, handling, steering & brakes. They have done a good job with it.

That said, Polo needs some work.

1) The stock suspension is lousy. Will have to change both springs + dampers. Will make the car sit a bit low too. Plenty of options in the market.
2) The brakes are bad, but fixing that is easy and won't break the bank too. All we need is better rotors + pads at front & rear.
3) Better tyres - most obvious when you buy a car for the fun factor.
4) Better headlights - the stock units on the Polo is dangerous. Many two-wheelers got better illumination & throw.

I am also not a fan of the steering on the Polo, but 1 & 3 will fix that to a certain extend. Anyway, all this is moot as the car is no longer available at VW.
Old 13th December 2021, 18:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
Considering that the review was done in September 2021 (N-Line was launched), they should have compared the N-Line with the polo GT and not the regular turbo DCT.
Old 4th March 2022, 10:50   #41
BHPian

3 months from the last post on this thread. Here are 2 new updates

1. Polo production is rumoured to be shut down in Q2 2022
2. Altroz Automatic is being launched with 1.2L NA Engine coupled with DCT motor.

If you want a fun to drive hatchback as a second car, what would people go for today? I in fact have booked a polo on Feb 22 and waiting to hear from VW on allocation.
Old 6th March 2022, 11:05   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post

2. Altroz Automatic is being launched with 1.2L NA Engine coupled with DCT motor.

If you want a fun to drive hatchback as a second car, what would people go for today? I in fact have booked a polo on Feb 22 and waiting to hear from VW on allocation.
If space not a constraint I would still suggest a Polo. Most of the missing features can be added. Somehow feel the demand for a well maintained Polo in the used market is only going to increase.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 10:28   #43
BHPian

Just did a back to back drive of the Polo 1.0 TSI AT and i20 N Line DCT. Here are my observations:

Engine - The Polo has the better engine and feels much more sprightly than the i20. The i20 has noticeable turbo lag. The Polo's turbo lag in comparison is not that bad. Both engines can pull the car and keep you interested, but the Polo can bring that smile on your face. The engine note too is better on the Polo. The i20's engine note felt a bit wheezy.

Gearbox - The i20's DCT didn't feel noticeably faster than the Polo's torque converter. Which is surprising. The Polo's torque converter does a splendid job. Shifts are nearly imperceptible if driven sedately, and shifts are quick! But hey, you get paddles on the Hyundai!

Suspension - i20 N Line wins hands down. Zero body roll around corners and very firm and matured setup. The Polo in comparison feels softer and also has noticeable body roll.

Steering - I felt the Polo's steering to be a bit more weighted than the i20's, and felt more solid. The i20 is very responsive but a bit more weight would have helped. The steering wheel of the Polo feels a tad bit better in your hands than the i20's due to the very tight leather stitching. But again, the i20's steering wheel feels softer to the touch. Both are made from excellent material quality.

Build quality - Polo has that satisfying European door thud when you close the doors. That is missing in the i20 - the doors feel lighter to operate in typical Hyundai fashion. But Hyundai has definitely come a long way today. The panels feel well put together - there aren't any major panel gaps. The paint quality too has improved.

Interior - The i20 definitely felt more modern and upmarket, but the quality of plastics is better on the Polo. In my opinion, both score well in this regard.

Features - Do we even have to go here? Of course the i20 wins hands down. But the Polo has auto wipers which in my opinion is more useful than auto headlamps.

Comfort - The bucket seats on the Polo fare a bit better than the ones on the i20 which lack under-thigh support. That's just me nitpicking. But the tables are turned once you get into the back seat, where the i20 is far far better than the Polo. It just has much more space in the back. On the driver's seat too, there is much more knee-room and leg-room in the i20. I'd give this one to the i20.

Cost cutting - I could see several areas where Hyundai has cut costs. First, the painting on the door sills and other areas which aren't visible to the naked eye (for example, the inside of the hatch) don't have enough clear coat on them. The quality of plastics on the outside too, in my opinion, feel like a cost cutting exercise. I suspect Volkswagen does a full BIW dip into the clear coat whereas Hyundai probably only sprays the clear coat on top of the base coat from outsides and doesn't bother about doing the same inside (I could be wrong about this).

Overall for me, being an enthusiast, I'd choose the Polo over the i20 N Line purely because of that fantastic engine and gearbox combo. But in other areas, the i20 beats the Polo hands down. It's definitely a tough choice for the average Joe. Both of these are very competent cars in different aspects, you can't go wrong with either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post

Hi Vivek,

If you don't mind owning a discontinued car, I'd say stick with the Polo if you're an enthusiast. Personally, i don't care about owning a discontinued car. I'm sure VW will provide service for the next 10 years. It is very likely that you'll look for an upgrade before that. Moreover, the Polo has been around for so long that spares availability shouldn't be an issue.

The i20 is a nice and well rounded car. But it doesn't have the same driving feel which the Polo offers. It is let down by that sub-par engine. i20 N Line turbo GDI is not as free revving as the Polo TSI and that can be felt. Hyundai would have had a winner only if they had plonked a better engine into the i20 NLine. But alas, that's not the case. And for now, the Polo takes the lead as the enthusiast's car.

Hope you get your car soon. I had booked mine around November and got delivery in January. Congratulations in advance!

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th April 2022 at 11:48. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
vedirah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 10:32   #44
BHPian

VW is not taking Polo bookings anymore in Bangalore. It looks like it is available only in resale market. Is this the case in other places as well? If yes, then what are the options in this segment?
Old 17th April 2022, 16:37   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedirah View Post
Hope you get your car soon. I had booked mine around November and got delivery in January. Congratulations in advance!
I was hoping to get a Polo since the beginning and the i20 would have only been a second option. You can say that my mind was made up about Polo and nothing else. I never test drove Polo or i20 though. My purchase of polo is completely based on the reviews provided by forum members.

I am hoping to get Polo delivered next week sometime. Picked the same carbon steel shade as vedirah.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks