Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2021, 11:25   #16
BHPian

Re: Nissan Magnite CVT vs Tata Punch AMT

Among these two, Magnite without a question. Punch is smaller, weaker engine with a much weaker AMT. Whereas on the Nissan, you get a bigger car, space, more comfort and a slightly premium appeal as well. Turbo, CVT and more gizmos too.

Comes to after sales, Tata isn't a saint and so as Nissan. But compared to Nissan you may find wider service network of TATA for sure but that doesn't means better service. Speaking from experience, as I had a Tiago for almost a little over 3 years.
igemini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 11:55   #17
BHPian

Do take a look at the Kiger too. I think it has much better interiors.
On looks, the Magnite wins hands-down.

And maybe Renault might have a slightly better ASC too. Maybe the Duster owners in your area can shed some light on it.
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 11:58   #18
BHPian

Am a TATA fanboy but in this case, I would recommend going with the Magnite, or the Kiger for the sheer value it offers.

CVT and AMT seal the deal almost, without bringing the other things to the table.

Also, I would say that the service will be equally a hit or miss between Nissan and TATA. Maybe Renault has better service than Nissan, isn't it?
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 12:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

My vote is for Magnite for the single reason that they did not try to force an AMT upon us to reduce cost. And the car looks well put together too. Another relevant point is the current situation with Tata service centers. They are flooded with cars because of the unprecedented sales and in my city, it is not possible to get a service booking without 2-3 weeks notice. I assume Nissan's quality control will be slightly better than Tata and it may provide a better ownership experience.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 12:31   #20
BHPian

If it's just between the Punch and the Magnite, and you can stretch your budget for the Magnite, then the Magnite is the car to get. As has already been mentioned by other BHPians, its a segment above and beats the Punch on most parameters.

BHPian swiftvxi06 has a white Magnite (MT) and his recent TL will also give you an idea of the performance of the car. You can find his TL here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ite-turbo.html (Impromptu getaway to Santiniketan in our Nissan Magnite Turbo)
Neversaygbye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 17:00   #21

IMHO it is not possible to compare the two transmission on offer and that is where the decision should end, CVT all the way. Punch is a safe and good product and Nissan will have fewer service points but the quality of service also matters. Oil changing and filter change is not service. Check how good the body shop is in your area and how good the customer response is wrt parts availability. Needless to say for either choice go for extended warranty. Did you try the Kiger as Renault will have a slightly better service network?
kunalghogle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 20:09   #22
BHPian

Between an proper and smooth CVT vs Tata AMT, it is not even a question. Go for the Magnite.
xrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 20:13   #23
BHPian

Between the two, Magnite all the way, any day. Though I have not driven the Punch, but considering it is AMT my vote will be for Magnite.

I have driven magnite CVT and it surprised me with the minimal CVT rubber band effect when compared to CVTs from Honda. The car handles well for its high GC and comes with a 4 star ASEAN. The engine packs enough "punch" and evident from get go. Good VFM package in that range in my opinion.
shinuak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 22:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
While I have not driven the Punch, I have two issues with Magnite CVT.

1. the CVT whine
2. the overall NVH of the car

Rest. CVT + Turbo combination is extremely responsive to drive. AMTs from Tata wont be as sorted for sure.

Magnite CVT is the choice here.
I agree, the CVT whine was apparent at high RPM. And the NVH was worse than the Tata Punch.
Ride was much worse in comparison to the Punch. I think the high tire pressure in showroom cars is to blame.

Luckily the variant we chose doesn't have TPMS so we can lower the tire pressure without any warnings on the dash.

Update:

We took test drives of the Magnite CVT Turbo and MT NA Petrol cars.

I was thoroughly impressed with the CVT Turbo, especially in the low end. Flooring it definitely produced some rubber band effect, but you're at 95kmph before you know it.

We sat down at a table to discuss the variant to go for. Chose the XV variant.

Biggest twist comes here, engine and gearbox choice was thrown out of the window. MT NA Petrol was selected. This also allowed to go for a higher trim within the 10L budget. What put the last nail in the coffin was the 6.5kmpl seen on the MID of the turbo CVT. I definitely drove it hard, but that was too low a number against the better average of the NA MT. With the intention of changing after a few years, they chose to skip the better engine+gearbox for later.

The salesman seems to have some stock on hand from people who don't want a 2021 car since it's the end of the year. And that 2021 stock is being pushed at a premium stating "immediate delivery".

Want to go to another dealer and pit them against each other, but buyer was not very keen, so let it be.

The car that's been booked.
Their first new car.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Magnite CVT vs Tata Punch AMT-screenshot_20211109224632_gallery.jpg  

viXit is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 23:57   #25
BANNED

I think it's better to go with Punch if you are going with a Magnite NA, it's certainly better
Old 10th November 2021, 00:03   #26
VIZ
BHPian

How did you find the ride quality and interior of magnite? I found them to be wanting. If NVH is not a concern,I think you can go ahead with Magnite.
VIZ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 02:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
What put the last nail in the coffin was the 6.5kmpl seen on the MID of the turbo CVT. I definitely drove it hard, but that was too low a number against the better average of the NA MT.
And that’s 1 point I have seen people consider while choosing a car which ideally one shouldn’t. Test drive cars are thrashed to death for short distances and hence FE numbers ought to be low. I remember seeing Jazz cvt test drive cars at 7kmpl but I went through ownership reviews to find out real world numbers and as expected I haven’t seen anything below 11kmpl till date even within city b2b traffic usage.

I would suggest you to reconsider the engine gearbox choice. CVTs are inherently frugal compared to TC/DCT boxes, so real world mileage mostly won’t be that bad. Alternatively you can have another test drive where you reset the trip meter and drive it for a few kms, that would give you a better picture. Owners can verify the real world numbers though.

Just my 2 cents. All the best

Last edited by SoumenD : 10th November 2021 at 02:32.
SoumenD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 10:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
... MT NA Petrol was selected. This also allowed to go for a higher trim within the 10L budget.
The Magnite was recommended here primarily for 2 reasons:

1) The sweet 1L Turbo engine
2) The smooth CVT

With the final decision being the NA and manual, the Punch would have been a much better buy ! The Punch's biggest weak point is the engine but it's definitely better than the Renault-Nissan 1L NA.
fiat_tarun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 10:28   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Kanthak View Post
I think it's better to go with Punch if you are going with a Magnite NA, it's certainly better

In what specific Àspects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZ View Post
How did you find the ride quality and interior of magnite? I found them to be wanting. If NVH is not a concern,I think you can go ahead with Magnite.
Interior of Magnite was definitely far superior to the Punch's interior.

The fabric lined door pads especially add a much more cosy feel as against the plasticky interiors of the Punch.

Punch clearly wins in the NVH and ride quality front. Magnite was quite stiff even with 4 on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post

I would suggest you to reconsider the engine gearbox choice. CVTs are inherently frugal compared to TC/DCT boxes, so real world mileage mostly won’t be that bad. Alternatively you can have another test drive where you reset the trip meter and drive it for a few kms, that would give you a better picture. Owners can verify the real world numbers though.

Just my 2 cents. All the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
The Magnite was recommended here primarily for 2 reasons:

1) The sweet 1L Turbo engine
2) The smooth CVT

With the final decision being the NA and manual, the Punch would have been a much better buy ! The Punch's biggest weak point is the engine but it's definitely better than the Renault-Nissan 1L NA.
I understand you entirely and made the same points yesterday. Unfortunately I'm not the buyer. Lest a Turbo MT would have been booked.

ESP, Traction Control and much better interiors were what sealed the deal for the Magnite. The punch still is, and feels a whole segment lower in comparison to the Magnite.

More than the right choice I feel mental satisfaction is more important. And I didn't want to mess with that for the buyer .

Last edited by viXit : 10th November 2021 at 10:40.
viXit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 10:41   #30
BHPian

I noticed you mentioned about 6.5kmpl mileage in MID. I have a Magnite Turbo Manual transmission. It gives 14-15kmpl in city and 18kmpl in highways (with 100% ac on.)
The car has even given me 21.1kmpl in city without AC. Being a turbo petrol, it is sensitive to throttle inputs. I have never got mileage below 10.1kmpl in the city (even when driven enthusiastically). When driven with a light foot it gives a very good mileage.

Autocar India has recently published the real world fuel efficiency figures of Tata Punch.
The figures are much less than that of Magnite Turbo (Manual as well as CVT)

Here is the link -

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-news/tata-punch-real-world-fuel-economy-tested-explained-422562

Last edited by swiftvxi06 : 10th November 2021 at 10:43.
swiftvxi06 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks