Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2007, 14:17   #1
BHPian

Palio or U-VA or Spark Confused..please help

Hi Team,
I am on the lookout for my first car. Peppy performance first, maintenance / after sales service second, Fuel efficiency third are my priorities. Budget - 4.5 Lacs. Petrol car as usage will be 50-100kms/week

Please help me decide:

Palio 1.6 Retro:(4.65 lacs OTR)
- Discounts/ attractive finance scheme frm Tata MOtors finance
- Great looking car and great handling
- Peppy engine
- Not a proven A.S.S
- Feasibility as a first car???(easy to own) - would really like your inputs here after hearing stories of Fiats in garages for 2 months for want of spare parts.
- FE is not that great but ok.
- Resale value - non existent
- Fully loaded!
- Lying in the stock yard for 4 months. Dunno if it has been used as TD

(The Stile is 5 Lacs plus)

Chevy Spark 1.0 LS (4.21 Lacs)

- Peppy engine
- Looks cool
- A.S.S should be better
- Small car/good as a first car - Easy to own
- FE is reported to be good and definitely better than Palio 1.6
- Only AC / PS and front power windows. Not fully loaded.
- Freshly manufactured car. Not an old one like the Sport 1.6
- Finance would be 3-4% more than Tata

Chevy U-VA base version (4.62 Lacs)

- Peppy but not as great as the Palio1.6 (as per OD, spark seems to have better performance figures esp in the 0-100kmph)
- FE between Palio and Spark
- Good as a first car?? - not too sure
- ONly AC / PS and no toher goodies like the Palio
- Freshly manufactured
- Decent A.S.S
- Finance higher again.

Not too gung ho on the Swift as it is very common nowadays and maintenance could be high as well. Not keen on the Xeta as we already have one at home.
Any other options I should consider? This being a first car for me. I am concerned about availability of spare parts and ease of use.

Heart is torn between the powerful retro 1.6 and the perky Spark.
Please help!!
Old 29th May 2007, 16:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

First off I think you are better off with the Spark amongst the choices. The Palio 1.6 is a good car but if you have the slightest doubt, then why take a chance. It is your first car after all. That being said, why are you considering the Spark in the first place. Or the U-VA for that matter.

If your definition of peppy includes the Spark, then why are you not considering the WagonR and the Santro Xing? In fact you are assured of a peppy engine and all the peace of mind with respect to service, spares and support with either Maruti or Hyundai.
Old 29th May 2007, 17:11   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
First off I think you are better off with the Spark amongst the choices. The Palio 1.6 is a good car but if you have the slightest doubt, then why take a chance. It is your first car after all. That being said, why are you considering the Spark in the first place. Or the U-VA for that matter.

If your definition of peppy includes the Spark, then why are you not considering the WagonR and the Santro Xing? In fact you are assured of a peppy engine and all the peace of mind with respect to service, spares and support with either Maruti or Hyundai.
Thanks typeonegative, the Spark as per reviews has better acceleration, rollon figures and handling than the Xing or the Wagon R making it more fun and involving to drive. Please correct me if am wrong in thinking thus. Yet to TD the Spark as no TD available in Blore till date. And its my assumption that the Spark would be a simpler car to maintain (correct me if am wrong here again). There have been relatively less complaints of GM's service as compared to Fiat.(Also heard GM is planning to increase service network bye end 2007)

Xing - Hyundai am not too comfortable with Korean makes (might be personal but as an Analyst i have studied a little about the Korean industry). Have also driven a friends new Santro and did not find it much "fun". Wagon R - didnt like its looks and didnt think it was peppy and handled well.
And one more thing, the Palio does not have the blessings of family and friends :-(
Would rely on more experienced advice in making a decision hence my post here in this forum (wonder how i missed this all these years)
Old 29th May 2007, 17:19   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am on the lookout for my first car. Peppy performance first, maintenance / after sales service second, Fuel efficiency third are my priorities.
By those priorities the Palio 1.6 it is. Altho the A.S.S and FE will come a joint 3rd.
Old 29th May 2007, 17:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Santro Xing is too old. Agreed that its a decent set of wheels. Its not got that new factor in it. Wagon R is a good choice. I like the car, very powerful, easy to drive and decent space. However handling is a concern at high speeds, artificial feel on the steering and very small tyres.

The U-Va is certainly a better choice compared to those two. Did you take a test drive of both the U-Va and Spark?
Old 29th May 2007, 17:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
The U-Va is certainly a better choice compared to those two. Did you take a test drive of both the U-Va and Spark?
Thanks TheMag and Csentil. Am planning on the U-Va and Spark after 8th June (thats when both Garudaa and Sundaram expect to have a TD car for the Spark).

U-Va 4.62 for the base version and std interest rates!!
Palio 1.6 retro fully loaded and spl interest rates.. faster than the U-Va but car is discontinued and wll I get a non TD car.. Oh there I go again!
Old 29th May 2007, 18:49   #7
BHPian

My vote for Palio 1.6 Retro
Old 29th May 2007, 19:14   #8
BHPian

in autocar always the FE of u-va is mentioned 10.5kmpl in city,if it is true no doubt go for palio 1.6.
fun driving,great handeling,performance and....
Old 29th May 2007, 19:38   #9
BHPian

Go for the conservative option dude. Which means, the Swift. Or a Getz 1.3. You know what's often the biggest performance factor in a car ? Look in a mirror.
Old 29th May 2007, 19:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

If I was you, I will pool in some extra bucks and go for the new Palio Stile 1.6 Sports!

My 2nd option would be: Aveo U-VA!
Old 29th May 2007, 20:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to expand your choices here but I think the Swift VXi fits your needs best..
Old 29th May 2007, 22:57   #12
BHPian

Thanks T-BHP... well as a first car would the Palio Stile or the Retro work? Have heard stories of how Palios sit in workshops for want of spares. Am in Blore..and is the A.S.S / spares availability good here?

@Finneyp - why do you recommend the Stile over the Retro? The Stile works out to be 40K more than the stile. Couldnt TD the stile as concorde said its the same as the retro.

The Swift comes in again..no doubt a good car but its everybody's choice. Maybe should TD it and see.. But why not the Spark? Any t-bhpians from the North / West who have driven/own it? Am told its peppy and handles like the Zen.. as a first car would it work?

thanks again.. Nimz
Old 30th May 2007, 02:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
The Swift comes in again..no doubt a good car but its everybody's choice. Maybe should TD it and see
Yes,the Swift is a good car to drive, but may not necessarily be the best to own.Visit the technical section to get some clarification on that comment.The sales-service support may be great, but its like taking a chance, what with reports of pre-mature clutch failure on Swifts.There are a few more issues that might or might not happen to your car, but its a decision you need to take.

If you want a smaller car, Spark seems to be a good choice.GM's service is not bad at all, plus the car has reasonably priced spares.The only negative could be the lack of space.This one is definitely a four seater.

The other choice,ie Palio 1.6 is something you would'nt want to sell for a long time after buying,both because the car is unmatched in terms of performance and value and and also because it would'nt fetch you decent resale if sold within 5 years of purchase. A.S.S and availability of spares is still suspect but FE is reasonable in city and pretty good on highways.But fast moving spares should not be a problem.

Like TypeO said, if you have any doubts, dont go ahead with any half hearted decisions.Be convinced after some proper research and yes, dont listen to friends and family even if they are unhappy about a certain car.Its difficult but its better to make a decision with facts and figures available on this forum rather than mere perception and hearsay.Good luck!

Last edited by roms : 30th May 2007 at 02:30.
Old 30th May 2007, 03:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
@Finneyp - why do you recommend the Stile over the Retro? The Stile works out to be 40K more than the stile. Couldnt TD the stile as concorde said its the same as the retro.
Nimz, for 40k more, you get a fresh peice of 1.6 Stile Sports, which has Tubeless tyres, new exteriors (double-barrel headlamps, pull-type door handles etc.) and more Resale value than the Retro one!
Go for that Hottest hatch in the Country!
Old 30th May 2007, 07:16   #15
BHPian

If I could add one more data point; I was gungho like you are now - I desperately wanted to buy a Petra 1.6 . I drank the Fiat-lovers Koolaid; and was completely sold on it. However, when I called up the Fiat showroom, they firmly said they had only a 6-month old car, and had no new pieces at all. I landed up with the Swift, even though I hated the looks. Yet it's a faithful beast; and *is* a lot of fun.

This was 18 months ago; there has been a turnaround of sorts - yet you see precious few new Fiats on the road. Do you want to see the first car you buy go out of production soon? Do you want to see the company from which you bought your first car, oscillate from closing shop to revival? I'm not saying these things will happen again, but they have happened in the past. Think about these things, and listen to your old man. God, I sound like an old man here.

Most Viewed