Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2007, 08:27   #16
BHPian

Why Swift

The thread owner has asked about of three cars, & not Swift. Hence it is clear that he does not has Swift as his priority.

Then still I see Swift being forced on him.

Just think what would have happened if he had asked for Swift, U-VA & SPARK, & if someone had put forward Palio as a very distant option, you could have seen remarks flowing against Palio.

FIAT going bankrupt now? Come one..this is not 2001!! The very SWIFT needs a FIAT Diesel Engine & SX4 is a FIAT Sedici
Old 30th May 2007, 09:46   #17
BHPian

@ballkey : Yes they have discontinued Petra but with Tata-Fiat they are giving service to Petra as well as Palio 1.2. Fiat invested a huge in Pune for their new plant.

And it is not the only Fiat Petra going out of production there are lot of other cars too. like Zen from maruti, Tata Siera, Tata State, GM Opel, Old honda city.

When I was planning to buy my car, I have taken test ride for both Swift and Palio 1.2 and found Palio is more fun to drive and settled with it.

Last edited by pawan_pullarwar : 30th May 2007 at 09:47.
Old 30th May 2007, 10:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
The Stile works out to be 40K more than the stile. Couldnt TD the stile as concorde said its the same as the retro.
If it is the same as retro, ask Concorde to give it at the same price as the retro !! why is there a difference of 40k then? He is trying to get rid of the retro stock. I think you should bargain hard and reduce the price further, if you go for the retro.

Just TD all cars before you buy.. My prediction is that you will go for the Stile 1.6
Old 30th May 2007, 10:29   #19
BHPian

Nimz@ its Spark for you dear......

u've mentioned that u did not get TD yet.....why dont you call up Cheroloet on 30308080 and demand one....

btw my neighbour has got 1.0 LS for more than a month now. hez extremely satisfied & happy with the car.
Old 30th May 2007, 10:36   #20
BHPian

since you are from bangalore you should not worry too much about FIAT A.S.S, Manipal motors airport road is one of the best Tata-FIAT service centers for FIAT cars...

coming back to your choice.. test drive the cars & then decide..

if you need to have a daily high on a motored vehicle or whenever you drive then look no further.. go for STILE 1.6, its got the looks & performance to match the price...

also bear in mind,FIAT cars always open up after some 3k to 5K kms on odo, meaning they punch in more power, more mileage ..

FIAT cars are an EXPERIENCE to be EXPERIENCED....just that butter smooth & precise power steering & gear shifts can give you a high...handling is a breeze for the car...& once you are used to that hydraulic clutch you will appreciate its qualities much better ,its a boon in any driving conditions.& nothing great to say about brakes though.... .do not miss out on the experience..

EOD its your choice from your own money... BEST of LUCK...

FIAT, always....
Old 30th May 2007, 12:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Nimz.

If you want a good ownership experience. Go for a maruti. You wont fond any problems with the spares or even finding an alternative service centre.

If your priority is a comfortable travel then think of the other vehicles. This would be my suggestions on the others.

FIAT Palio - The 1.6 is a real good engine with good power and great low end torque. I would not recommend the 1.1 as i am not sure about how much FIAT has compromised to being doen the price. you might have to do some research on that. The 1.6 Retro at that price is surely a steal. If you have more highway travels i would suggest you dont think abot any other vehicle. Owners claim around 10-12 km/l in city and 14-15 on highways. My Adventure gives me 9-10 in city and 14-15 on highways. You could researchon this in this forum itself. The negatives though are that you might have to spend some time at the service centre in case you have a problem. But personally i feel with the kind of driving and ride comfort you get at this price - its worth it.

The Chevy Spark - If you drive around only in city. DOnt look for anything else. This is a really good choice especially with the 3 year/100000km warranty. The mid option with PS and PW seem to be a good choice. I think the OTR price would be near 3.95L

The U-Va - Not sure about this. But have heard its really more spacious and performs better than the swift (source Top Gear latest edition)
Old 30th May 2007, 13:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
Do you want to see the first car you buy go out of production soon?
I am amused by this statement!
For your kind info, Palio was launched in India in 2001 and it is still doing good with Stile models, and Palio will be in reckoning for the next few years too!

And as mentioned earlier, Nimz has shortlisted Palio, U-VA and Spark, instead of helping him in his choice, some friends are hellbent on selling a Swift to him!
If someone had suggested a Palio on a Swift thread, all heaven would have broken loose!
Old 30th May 2007, 14:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
For your kind info, Palio was launched in India in 2001 and it is still doing good with Stile models, and Palio will be in reckoning for the next few years too!
I know, with the "tremendously awesome" response received for the new Stilie, and the record-breaking sales targets they have been setting for themselves, its truly a miracle they are still persisting in the market.
Old 30th May 2007, 14:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra View Post
I know, with the "tremendously awesome" response received for the new Stilie, and the record-breaking sales targets they have been setting for themselves, its truly a miracle they are still persisting in the market.
Absolutely. Its very important to distinguish between just the car itself and the ownership experience as a whole.

Wait and watch how their strategy unfolds over the next couple of years.. Till then, stay off Fiat especially the first time car buyers..
Old 30th May 2007, 14:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Wait and watch how their strategy unfolds over the next couple of years.. Till then, stay off Fiat especially the first time car buyers..
If you want to stay off Fiat, please do so, but please don't impose your opinion on others!

And for your kind info, the majority of Fiat owners on this forum are First time Car buyers and we are very happy with our decision on buying a Fiat car rather than owning one of the the tin boxes available in market with a 'tremondous demand'.
Old 30th May 2007, 15:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Actually, Ballkey has a point there since the retro version WILL go out of production. However, there is a lot of difference between a model going out of production and a car company going out of production.

By all means, you can go ahead and buy a "Model" going out of production, as long as you drive a hard bargain with the dealer and get it at a substantially reduced price. Rs 40k less for the retro 1.6 doesnt sound like a bargain to me, considering that the Stile 1.6 has some extra features as someone mentioned here.
Old 30th May 2007, 15:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Absolutely. Its very important to distinguish between just the car itself and the ownership experience as a whole.

That was past.
Fiat cars are best in Past and Present also. Fiat cars are for those who love driving and not travelling.
Due to bad A.S.S. sometime back it was totelled. But with Tata-Fiat tieup you can not say Stay Off.
Old 30th May 2007, 15:29   #28
BHPian

there is no problem with fiat service now,i bought my palio 1.2 one year back and it is my first car i dont understand why are you saying first time buyer shouldnt go for palio.
in ride and fun every body knows nothing can beats palio.in terms of service i havnt had any problem with fiat pr tata-fiat services absoluotley nothing.i am too happy with palio that i am gonna change it to 1.6.
go for palio dude you will understand what is fun driving.
Old 30th May 2007, 15:45   #29
BHPian

thanks team bhp. interesting to read. @equus - I guess you are right when you talk about the ownership experience and the driving exp. ideally I would prefer a car which offers both - maruti palio 1.6!!! No problems in going against family..but if anything happens you can sense their ' I told you so'.
@zakaaasss - spark is not yet launched in blore. expected date - june 8 so can have td after that only. have u driven that spark? Any inputs on its performance and handling? thanks again..
Old 30th May 2007, 15:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC: first thought of starting a thread for this but then thought its not required.
================================================== ================
A FIAT IS A FIAT AND (Whatever) WILL ALWAYS BE A (Whatever).

These days i find a lot of fighting going on against the FIAT Brand by some other brand owners.

PS. I dont expect any replies flying around in the name if this comment. Just wanted to put out a point that every car has its plus and negatives. No point trying to figure out who is above the other. There is nothing like "perfect" atleast out here on earth.

Just try to enjoy your drive and if you cant....Test Drive a FIAT Adventure or a Maruti Baleno 1.6
================================================== ========

Last edited by gemithomas : 30th May 2007 at 15:50.

Most Viewed