Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2007, 16:43   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Any idea what is the service interval for the UVA. FOr the Spark it is 5000 kms compared to the Santro and Estilo which are 10K kms. Would the UVA have low maintenance costs or is it realtively higher?

Looks like I got to give the UVA serious thought too.

Nimz,

Get service holiday package from GM your all worries will be parked aside. I got for my aveo too, its v cheap as compared to other car. Spark has 3 year service holiday package included by default so no worry on spark side uva i am not sure. how ever i can see the spares are not expensive for chevy cars as i thought some are equivalent to maruti spares but few are bit expensive also.

but if you see GM spares are better in quality, probably better quality control at GM.
Old 14th June 2007, 16:50   #77
BHPian

the palio is a better looker, spark is peace of mind for 3 years..
Old 14th June 2007, 17:29   #78
BHPian

Close ur eyes and go for the spark, my cousin bought it last week and he is very happy with it
Old 14th June 2007, 20:27   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by owaiskm View Post
Close ur eyes and go for the spark, my cousin bought it last week and he is very happy with it
Hi Owaiskm - how much FE does your cousin get? Did he get it in Bangalore? Which version? From which dealer? Do get your cousin to post an ownership review.. it would help us all..

@Kamy450 - Yes the Spark and the UVA is covered for 3 years. But why is the service interval 5K? Faster wear and tear???

Can someone confirm the service intervals in MUL / Hyundai. Is it really 10K (I read this in TG's shootout). For Palio it is 5K normal and 7K oil change.

Thanks
Nimz
Old 14th June 2007, 21:12   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
@Kamy450 - Yes the Spark and the UVA is covered for 3 years. But why is the service interval 5K? Faster wear and tear???
Thanks
Nimz
Nimz,

As far as i know this is not related to faster wear and tear. I have spoken to few aveo owners their feedback was that GM cars are good quality and mechanicals are assured by good quality standards. i keep the same feeling after a month's ownership. Service interval is decided purely by GM engineers to ensure we as an customer get better service from Car. Service at 5k kms is not an bad factor to be considered.
Old 14th June 2007, 21:17   #81
Senior - BHPian

today i test drove both 1.6 stile black, and 1.2 aveo. on the whole part of the Test drives, right from space to FE to looks to practicality and performance as a whole, i loved the UVA, but the price is 6 lakhs (for this you get abs though). as for 1.6, its got sheer engine power, but seating is a bit lower than uva, and interiors - PATHETIC changes for the new stile. the suspension is quite hard as well, while uva was super smooth except being sluggish with 4 people on board with ac (in my TD i had said 3 ppl with ac i didnt find much of sluggishness), today i felt it badly.

GM cars so have a nice look factor, 3 yrs peace of mind, service at regular intervals, and general wow working towards them this time. and remember they have cars at every end of the spectrum now.

fiat on the other hand, well tata says what it does. the manager at prerana is being very proactive with me. both TD cars arrived in flat half hour to my office. which is good aggressiveness in marketing.
Old 15th June 2007, 07:23   #82
BHPian

@srik : Tata - Fiat manipal held a road show outside my office yesterday. I checked out the stile 1.1 again closely. I can see so many build problems, eg.

- The plastic component that holds the windshield (dont know the exact term for this) - there was a big gap between the bonnet and this plastic at the corner. It looked so ugly.

On the otherhand, check out the newspaper today. Very nice offer on the stile, 8.99% or 22K flat off. Include corporate discount of about 5-6K and the 1.6 is available at about 4.75. Now thats a rocking price, whatsay?

The sales-person (one mr. vivek from manipal motors) was trying to wax eloquence on the 1.6.

"You need to learn how to drive the 1.6 to get optimal FE, not everyone know how". My colleague asked him if he could teach us if we bought the 1.6 lol. My colleague says the FE goes down with usage. I was arguing that it was the other way. jerk!

The sales guy also showed me that the Stile has a hard surface around the base (skirting) of the vehicle that can avoid stone scratches

So, the 1.6 is *definitely* super on pricing, at 4.75 with alloy wheels and all? Any comments?
Old 15th June 2007, 10:24   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMyDust View Post
So, the 1.6 is *definitely* super on pricing, at 4.75 with alloy wheels and all? Any comments?
It definitely is. That is the reason I chose the Petra over the Baleno. However, if you do decide Fiat go in with your eyes open. The car is great - but you have to look after it and live its temperamental nature (it's more like getting used to marriage LOL). You will not get the refinement in interiors etc. etc. But believe me, if you like redlining, Fiat 1.6s don't disappoint.
Old 15th June 2007, 11:13   #84
BHPian

@Sreek,

UVA is good car but very overpriced (like other chevy vehicles). I guess here Stlie 1.6 is clear choice. It look awsome in black (apart from rear). Why somebody should pay 6L for a hatch with a 1.2 Ltr engine ? You can do some mods to your stile later(Seating and other things).
Old 15th June 2007, 14:29   #85
BHPian

Undoubtedly Stile 1.6 is a better car of the two(UVA and Stile1.6) and above that if you can save 1.25L on the cost then you can very well invest it in quenching its thirst since for sure a 1.6ltr engine will drink more than a 1.2 and at the same time will be much more fun to drive.. Palio1.6 is the kind of the car that can satisfy the driver inside you.. Though it can be driven for fuel efficiency, if driven like a gentle man you can expect 10-11 without AC but once you get the taste of the blood it very difficult to be a gentleman anymore. You will never find the car lacking on enthusiasm.. Thus if it is driven the way it is meant to be driven, you might actually get 8-9 kmpl. But again keeping in mind that you have already saved 1.25 lakh that shouldn't bother you much. As for the A.S.S. you need not worry much as now with TATA it is not as bad as it used to be.. Though some spares may not be as easily available as the spares of Indica owing to the lesser number of Fiats plying on the road but I have seen that they can order and get the spares fairly quickly.
Where as neither of the two american companies(GM and Ford) have anything to boast about their A.S.S. And american cars are known to be high on maintenance and expensive on spares so better try to find out if there are any catches in the 3yr service package of theirs.
Old 15th June 2007, 14:46   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
@Sreek,

UVA is good car but very overpriced (like other chevy vehicles). I guess here Stlie 1.6 is clear choice. It look awsome in black (apart from rear). Why somebody should pay 6L for a hatch with a 1.2 Ltr engine ? You can do some mods to your stile later(Seating and other things).
very true.
typical American marketing tactic.. first overprice the product then offer discounts (service holidays etc).
-with no offense to any GM car owners here.

though UVA and Spark both are good cars but neither of them deserve the price that GM demands for them.
Old 15th June 2007, 15:17   #87
BHPian

Lots of praise for the Stile 1.6. But EMD has raised some issues on build quality and am afraid I dint pay attention to this during my test drives.

Is it true or was it just a "TD car" as sales reps in dealerships are prone to say..

Nimz
Old 15th June 2007, 17:26   #88
BHPian

@huntrz :: whats this service holidays? sidey!
Old 15th June 2007, 20:47   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
@Sreek,

ajay, dont just look at the engine. a lot of other things are good on uva. check the interiors, nvh levels, suspension, tyre widths and you will know what i mean. its time we give beautiful cars their due respect for the price yes it is more, but common its so much more spacious than palio. its a semi-big car if you know what i mean. i m not saying 1.6 is not good. but somehow interiors and space were a bit of a letdown. i ve already owned a palio 1.2nv before this, and i still tend to appreciate uva for its space part, its so comfortable in there. this time ACIs What car magazine tries to see 3 cars uva, getz and swift and says swift is good at the end! wonder what they considered to say so. if its driveability only, then maybe yes, but common who says getz is not good and uva is not good? somehow these comparisons tend to get biased a lot. like in ACI small car shootout, even when spark was there they tend to say santro is our choice! wonder if these guys are just getting fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
Undoubtedly Stile 1.6 is a better car of the two(UVA and Stile1.6) and above that if you can save 1.25L on the cost then you can very well invest it in quenching its thirst since for sure a 1.6ltr engine will drink more than a 1.2 and at the same time will be much more fun to drive.. Palio1.6 is the kind of the car that can satisfy the driver inside you.. Though it can be driven for fuel efficiency, if driven like a gentle man you can expect 10-11 without AC but once you get the taste of the blood it very difficult to be a gentleman anymore. You will never find the car lacking on enthusiasm.. Thus if it is driven the way it is meant to be driven, you might actually get 8-9 kmpl. But again keeping in mind that you have already saved 1.25 lakh that shouldn't bother you much. As for the A.S.S. you need not worry much as now with TATA it is not as bad as it used to be.. Though some spares may not be as easily available as the spares of Indica owing to the lesser number of Fiats plying on the road but I have seen that they can order and get the spares fairly quickly.
Where as neither of the two american companies(GM and Ford) have anything to boast about their A.S.S. And american cars are known to be high on maintenance and expensive on spares so better try to find out if there are any catches in the 3yr service package of theirs.
some how i tend not to buy your expensive on spares stuff. well thats what there is a service holiday. i drove both cars, i like both for their own good points and not like them for their own bad points. you cant compare stile and uva, you can compare spark and stile if you want to! uva deserves to be compared with getz and swift not with stile frankly.

if i dont end up with sx4 i would end up with uva most likely. arguably i understand price is high, but without abs its 5.5 which is like 1 lac more than stile slx 1.1, or 1.6, but more spacious, very decent interiors, alloys, wider tyres (this makes all the driving diff believe me), superb silence, etc
Old 15th June 2007, 21:05   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
if i dont end up with sx4 i would end up with uva most likely. arguably i understand price is high, but without abs its 5.5 which is like 1 lac more than stile slx 1.1, or 1.6, but more spacious, very decent interiors, alloys, wider tyres (this makes all the driving diff believe me), superb silence, etc
That is a perspective that I appreciate though I might not agree with it. The ABS I guess is something you cannot replace, but most of everything else you can. But you have highlighted on important thing - there is stuff more important than BHP and 0-100 timings. But as almost everyone is saying, stick to the SX4.

Most Viewed