Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2007, 15:56   #136
BHPian

Guys, I am also looking for a car in the same price range of abt 4-5.5 lakh budget for my brother. I tokk the test drive of all 3 cars in discussion here i.e. UVA, Spark and Swift VDI. So, just wanted to share my feedback and views on these cars.
As far as the pickup and engine response is concerned, SWIFT VDI is way above the other two. Also I felt the suspension is also much improved from Swift petrol. but as we all are aware this is not a family car bcoz of bad rear space. one can think of buying this car if you are family of just 2 adults. Moreover, there is no rear wiper, no defogger, only manual side mirrors etc. But having said this, I must say this is real fun to drive.
With UVA, you will get good looks, very spacious cabin, OK interiors but I didn't find the engine very peppy. There was no fun in driving this. Gear box is alo not good. very loose and notchy.

So, I find the spark as the best deal for my brother. It has very peppy engine(much better then UVA), good looks, better gear box and more space then Swift. It can sit atleast 4 people easily.

So, my conclusion is if rear space is not of any importance to you then go with SWIFT diesel. But if you need to sit more then 2 adults in your car regularly then don't think about SWIFT. I would advice to go for Spark then UVA.
Old 22nd June 2007, 17:36   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom2_ash View Post

So, my conclusion is if rear space is not of any importance to you then go with SWIFT diesel. But if you need to sit more then 2 adults in your car regularly then don't think about SWIFT. I would advice to go for Spark then UVA.
So what you are saying is that Swift is not as spacious as the Spark?? Thats a new one. I knew Swift is a bit cramped, but it cant really be that bad now, can it?
Old 22nd June 2007, 19:40   #138
Senior - BHPian

swift and spark are same maybe swift is better, but for 2 ppl at the back only. i did check out spark, perhaps we cant compare spark and swift at all.
Old 23rd June 2007, 00:53   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom2_ash View Post
It depends on how you look at rear seat comfort.

I found it very difficult to get out of the Spark rear seat. The distance between the B pillar and the rear seat is very less. BUt the leg space while sitting inside is decent. So if you ahve size 8 feet like me. they tend to get stuck while getting out. (Has anyone noticed this?)

I would suggest Spark if you are 2 adults in a family and a cute lil baby. You can fold the rear seat and make a nice cradle for it and drive very slowly.

I think you felt that the Spark was better at the rear as the Swifts rear windows tend to look a little claustrophobic. But otherwise its quite comfortable in the rear.
Nimz
Old 23rd June 2007, 04:07   #140
BHPian

@ Sithon - the latest Spark prices OTR in Blore

Spark 1.0E (white) :360142
Other colours: 365931

Spark 1.0 (white): 386125
other colours: 391913

1.0 LS (white): 417383
Other colours: 423171

1.0 LT white: 451598
Other colours: 457385

UVa i dont seem to have it with me.

Also on the Spark website they menton a new variant 1.0 PS (between 1.0 and 1.0 LS comes wth A/C and P/S but no P/W)

But no prices are mentioned for this trim level at the dealers or on the website.
Nimz
Old 23rd June 2007, 22:45   #141
BHPian

woah - what a discount on the palio stile 1.6 towards EOM June!

@Nimz, Thanks mate. (i'm sure these figures help some other readers too)

Alright BHPians: Here's a slightly early update from my side: No i am not buying a vehicle yet but here's some variables/info that changes the equation:

As of friday, both prerana and concorde are after me - didnt get time to talk to them until today and i was pleasantly surprised to know the latest offer:
Prerana guy says "Sir, best offer: insurance FREE in addition to earlier extended warranty which was being given free."
Thats almost a ~22 K (or more) discount!!! And they will give the "accessories" which was being provided earlier - floor mats, mud flaps and sun film( though he said he will give garewal (? not remembering the name now) but international one.

Now - some of u can imagine the temptation i have. (Its like having ur fav icecream given to u with some more toppings and lesser price and u know u want to get it before it mets.! LOL.)

It seems this was in the ads since last Sunday btw - how did i miss that?

So there you have it - a 1.6 stile for around 4.86 OTR in BLR? Mighty tempting. With the savings i can even think of some really good ICE or even good seats (which was one of my unsatisfying points for the 1.6 stile vs the retro.

Hmm - what will happen now. Will my deisel research on the vdi get short lived -pre-empted ? or will i stick to my postponed plans for a purchase in july or aug or sep.
Shall keep you all posted! Comments and suggestions and encouragements/discouragements welcome - Bring it on!
Old 26th June 2007, 11:28   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
So what you are saying is that Swift is not as spacious as the Spark?? Thats a new one. I knew Swift is a bit cramped, but it cant really be that bad now, can it?
@Rom: yes thats what I found during my test drive. It was to my surprise also but but the fact 4 guys can sit more comfortably in Spark then SWIFT. SWIFT rear seat is that bad and cramped. I also agree that getting in and out in spark at the rear seat is little bit more difficult then SWIFT but once your are in then spark is better.
Old 26th June 2007, 11:39   #143
BHPian

@ Sithon - Prerna had this offer for quite some time. I think Geek posted it long back. But interest rates will be 11.5% for this offer. Else it will be 8.99% with only the 3yr warranty as free.

In case you are getting it with no financing.. should be good!!
Old 26th June 2007, 11:53   #144
BHPian

@sithon
garware films?
if tht's the name they are indian brand bro. cheap as well, max 1k.
Old 27th June 2007, 14:03   #145
Senior - BHPian

zoom, sithon and nimz, - so any more updates? who bought what??
Old 27th June 2007, 14:34   #146
BHPian

I just found OTR prices for Spark & UVA topend models:(Mumbai)

Spark(ABS): 5.01 L. UVA(ABS):6.01L

I think you are better off with Palio 1.6 Sport(5.01L). You get larger safer car. Swift Zxi (with ABS, Airbag) @ 5.8L is much better option
Old 27th June 2007, 17:26   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
zoom, sithon and nimz, - so any more updates? who bought what??

Sparky comes home hopefully by Friday...
Old 29th June 2007, 23:25   #148
BHPian

1.6 stile almost wins: (Good deal from Concorde for 1.6? Advice needed ASAP!)

hey guys.
Thanks for the replies. I guess i missed the info somewhere in the few weeks i was off, about the insurance free offer etc.

Anyway, Here's a spicy update:
Well now Concorde (not much follow up from prerana in the past week) is offering something better (its the 29th and they are almost bending backwards to sell the 1.6 stile to me by today and tomorrow which is EOM and EOQ!).

Here's their offer, please please let me know any feedback.

1. Insurance worth Rs 16471 off
2. Extended warranty 18 months (total of 3 years warranty) worth 4800 off. (one of the above is corporate offer part)
3. Accessories free:
*Sun film (its Gareware International btw)
*Mud flaps
*Floor mats
*3M Chemical treatment (not sure if this is the new car treatment)
and *5% off on any other accessories.

After Several minutes of discussion/negotiation (including early hints on not getting the engine immobilizer and leather wrapped steering and leather wrapped gear knob etc thanks to the info from fellow BHPians...):

* 14k off in addition to the above 1, 2 and 3 (!!), if i go for the following finance option:
2325 per lakh ( he called this the rack rate .. vs the best rate),
ie EMI of approx 9068 for 5 years. I think this interest rate comes to 14.75 - i am not sure , so i have quoted the emi per lakh

So thats a total of approx 34k from the OTR price of 506954.! What do you guys say??? Is this the best yet or should i also ask for free leather wrap (though not OE fitted) for the steering wheel? lol

Oh btw - to bring back the context of this thread:

Why am i now more and more convinced for going for the Palio?

Concorde took me in their car all the way to their stockyard near Bommanahalli, which is also their service station and showed me a 1.6 sport stile in red. I am sold!
a) I was skeptical till now since i had done the TD on the black and i had never driven a red. What does color got to do with it? Well - to me , it just felt like this is the car i shud own when i sat in this red beauty. (i did notice the same tacky-ness to the fit of the beadings...hmmm but the red beauty and otherwise solid build quality and drive and ac quality overshadows this minus point. and yeah i think my kind of kms/day i can manage to be content with 10kmpl and be more than happy to get 14 or more in highways a year later when i start my long drives!)
b) I also met the service station in charges and also the person in charge of TDI (Test Delivery Inspection) and also saw few fiats being worked on (most were accident cases) - All this was a good visible hint of good A.S.S.
c) Comparisons:
Swift vxi - not much offers (except a 5k) and they are all not so keen on making a sell as they seemed to have made their numbers though its EOQ. Also 1-2 months waiting period even for the Vxi (VDI has 4 or even more months waiting period )
Swift Vdi - well surely liked the drive for the vdi - but i think i need that tad bit of space and build quality be it for short or long drives - and >4 months! - really i cant wait that long for getting a car!
U-va - i didnt TD this. The only additional things i saw in this for considering this was the split folding rear seat and tilt-steering but the former feature comes only in the LT which is ~5.7lakhs and almost as near as the swift.

Now, i am going to make a decision by 9 am - Calling fellow BHPians to please help out.

Last edited by sithon : 29th June 2007 at 23:28.
Old 30th June 2007, 00:44   #149
BHPian

@ Sithon

Looks like you have pretty much made up your mind. If the Palio Stile is the kinda car you want then go for it.

The discounts are secondary and am sure you are not buying a car just for the discounts.. so go ahead!!

Suggest you try Prerana too.. Am told that they are the better Tata dealers in Bangy and though my interaction with Prerna and Manipal was minimal Prerna seemed better. I didnt have too great an experience with Concorde but it could differ depending on the sales guy you get.

GM dealers are a class apart Really suggest you TD the UVA before you deceide.. and the Sparky too.. Sundaram opens at 9 AM. You can defer your decision to Concorde by an hour or two.

Did I confuse you further.. well its not your EOM or EOQ so dont get rushed.

Nimz
Old 30th June 2007, 01:34   #150
BHPian

To come to a logical conclusion to this thread...

My platinum metallic Sparky rolled home at about 8 PM on the 29th of June 2006.

For the benefit of other bhpians who might be in the same state I was in when I started this thread..

- I didnt need a car with lots of space. Just me and my better half (in a year or so).
- I wanted a fun to drive car that handles well

Palio 1.1 - was too slow and not fun at all for me
Palio 1.6 - zippy but being a first time buy and did I need all that space right now.. and not too much of a happy exp with concorde..
UVA - slightly sluggish on the 3rd/4th. Again did I need all that space now.
Swift - fun to drive. too common. Waiting period.
Santro - Allergic to anything korean except women
Spark - closest in engine characterestics to the Zen.. fun to drive and just right for 2 and one small member down the line..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks