Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2021, 01:54   #16
BHPian

re: Small, feature-rich car for the Mrs | EDIT: Booked Hyundai i20 1.0L Turbo Petrol DCT

Most votes seem to point to
//i20
//Altroz
//Polo

Interesting to see the Jazz recommendations.
Old 11th December 2021, 10:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Small, feature-rich car for the Mrs | EDIT: Booked Hyundai i20 1.0L Turbo Petrol DCT

1) Polo - if you are okay with rear space and less features. This car has the character which no other hatch can match. But if not wrong, only Matt version is available now.
2) i20 - premium interiors, spacious and decent engine and gear options. Since a new model with premium features, it will age well. But bigger in dimensions too.
3) Kiger - Though not a hatch, it’s very easy to drive within city. The CVT turbo engine combination is really good and a very potent car at that price range. On downside it has low quality interiors and don’t know about Renault after sales
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 10:23   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the choice would be among Altroz, i20 and the Polo. The Polo added only because the TSI and both MT/AT combo will be a hoot to drive and would meet your individual need of a fun to drive hatch. Altroz has my vote because you are ok with a manual and it has some level of exclusivity. Other options like Jazz, Baleno etc are boring and will not turn any heads anywhere.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 10:42   #19
BHPian

As soon as someone demands a "feature rich" car in India Maruti gets thrown out of the park though they have the most extensive lineup of small cars with great engines. Next in line would be Hyundai and Tata which are clearly the most recommended lot above.

My recommendation would be something from Hyundai stable due to exhaustive feature list with very smooth and refined driving experience which is preferred by women. If you prefer safety over refinement then Tata all the way with Altroz being the best bet.

I always tell people to take extensive test drives of various cars and then decide rather than getting influenced by recommendations. Driving a car is a sum total of different experiences varying from engine acceleration, NVH, suspension, cornering, interior quality, placement of pedals, audio quality, seat comfort, visibility, market perception and what not. Sometimes little things such as seat comfort or stiff suspension can be a real put off which people are not able to ascertain during short casual test drives. I have burnt my fingers once when I was convinced on a car model based on numerous positive feedbacks and went ahead with it based on a customary test drive.

So keep your options open and look for the minutest details that might trouble your wife in the new car and then finally decide. Good luck!

Last edited by Maverick Avi : 11th December 2021 at 10:44.
Maverick Avi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 11:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Premium interiors- We want the car to feel like a luxury barge (relative to the segment) This is key to keep the car fresh and make us feel as a worthy upgrade.

Features- We hold cars for long. Future proof features which would help us hold the car longer and not go out of date in 3 years are vital.
I see many suggestions for the Polo and as an ex-Polo owner, I feel the car definitely lacks on these 2 aspects.

Interior: The interiors are robust and quintessentially German but it wouldn't feel luxurious especially right now given the competition. The aforementioned 'barge' feeling is definitely there w.r.t. the competition but that is about it.

Features: This is an aspect where VW has always been behind in the Indian market IMHO. While you will get all the 'must have' features e.g. airbags, abs and some 'nice to have' features e.g. RCD340 unit which is amazingly slick, yet the feature list of the Polo will be nowhere near as expansive as compared to the competition.

One of the main reasons why I sold my 2012 Polo Comfortline was because of my frustration with the lack of features. However, all the other aspects of the car won me over and that is the reason why I still remain a VAG loyalist.

If you are able to compromise on a feature or two here and there, I would definitely suggest the Polo under the following conditions:

-Avoid the DSG in case the dealer tries to push old stocks
-Go in for a metallic colour (they look much better in the long term)
-Try going in for the top or second top model if the budget permits

All the best

Last edited by AKSarkar1 : 11th December 2021 at 11:18.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 12:59   #21
KPR
BANNED

Does a car that is sold as a hatch in Europe qualify?
If yes, SCross zeta MT at 9.99 L ex-showroom fits the requirement.

If you're in need of a good looking, European hatch you very well know the answer or wait for Citroen C3 launch. The one who can match the looks of a red hot German beauty on sale now is that little Italian who is already in RIP.
KPR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 13:33   #22
BHPian

Go for an electric one , Nexon or Tigor would fit in the situation spot on . An ICE vehicle will be a waste at this point of time and given the required preferences .
quattroa4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 13:37   #23
BHPian

The previous gen Elite i20 may also be a good choice. I feel it is way more classy-looking than the current one, had better feeling interiors and although has lesser features than the current one, was still feature-loaded.
batladanny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 15:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
small compact hatch which is feature rich and offers modern creature comforts for city duties.
TD the following, preferably top/top-1 variants, sorted based on compactness in ascending, will leave the engine and variant selection to you :
- i10 Nios MT
- Tiago MT
- Polo AT/MT
- Altroz MT
- i20 MT/AT

Not mentioning the AMTs, top variants of all should have driver seat height adjust, will recommend petrol for fuel.

- If a fully loaded futuristic cabin is what you want then the i20 wins hands down followed by the Nios and the Altroz.

- On safety and build its the Altroz followed by the Polo and the Tiago.

TD to get better clarity, if the i20 Asta MT Petrol 1.2 works for you then it would slot perfectly in minus the safety aspect which isn't tested.
Old 11th December 2021, 15:45   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
Interior: The interiors are robust and quintessentially German but it wouldn't feel luxurious especially right now given the competition.

Features: This is an aspect where VW has always been behind in the Indian market IMHO.

-Avoid the DSG in case the dealer tries to push old stocks
-Go in for a metallic colour (they look much better in the long term)
-Try going in for the top or second top model if the budget permits
This is a pretty fair assessment

I am in the market for solid hatchback too and shortlisted polo HL plus AT over others for reasons given above and by other members. But, the waiting periods are 3-4 months at almost all dealers. There is also a nagging question as to what will happen to part availability etc., if the polo is discontinued in the next year or later ?
stringbh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 17:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
- Polo AT/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
if the polo is discontinued in the next year or later ?
Spares availability should be there at least for 5-8 years from date of discontinuation. I wouldn't call it a concern.

Forgot to add, to the OP and anyone looking at the Polo/Vento, it should be replaced by their new version based on the MQB A0 IN platform underpinning the Kushaq/Taigun, Slavia/Virtus? and the next Fabia/Polo.
Although not sure if they would keep the names and going by convention till date it should be the Skoda followed by the VW.
No ETA but I would guess second half of 2022 since the next launches would be Slavia and its VW twin. Hopefully the hatches follow soon after.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 18:41   #27
BHPian

My recommendations would be:
-Tiago XZA: My wifey came from a background of driving an 800 in the crowded streets of Chennai. She's pretty much fond of using the gear levers now and then rather than the lack of it. We decided to go ahead with a TIAGO XZA(AMT). She fell in love the moment she took a TD with it(look ma! no clutch feeling). It was adequate enough for daily errands such as grocery shopping, dropping kids to school ,etc., We had to part ways with it due to poor FE and frequent niggles. However the midlife facelift seems to be promising and is worth a try

- Polo GT TSI: An awesome car for both of us. We owned a Polo 1.6 highline and she was our workhorse for 4 years and we did clock 50k kms. So when we were in the hunt for a hatchback, we were very tempted to go with the GT TSI. Only later did we realize that the Polo hasn't even changed one bit in the last 5 years apart from minor grille and badging changes but with a big change of heart(the 1.0 TSI). It was slightly expensive as on road price came close to 11 lakh. But still worthy considering the MQB platform based Polo still seems to be ages away.
-I currently own a i20(diesel, manual) 2019 model. My wifey loves the responsive engine and of course the light clutch and steering. The current gen looks lot more stylish and is loaded with features with much improved space and driving dynamics which the earlier gen was lacking.

The above are my views and my choices. Hope that helps you a little bit.

Good luck for your car shopping quest.

Last edited by pradheepsr : 11th December 2021 at 18:49.
pradheepsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 19:18   #28
BHPian

Little off the current suggestions, Taigun with 1L TSI is a unique car which satisfies hatch and SUV. Neither too small nor too big.

Who knows you could give up safari for this new love..

Happy hunting
Old 11th December 2021, 21:07   #29
BHPian

Altroz is an excellent car and is very well priced compared to I20. If you want only a hatch, then I recommend Altroz followed by I20. The latter has very well appointed interiors and creature comforts but it has all black interiors which rob the spacious feeling to an extent. As a slight deviation, you can also give Nios a try. It looks beautiful in Aqua Teal color and because you will be saving the money upfront, you can take the interior to next level in the aftermarket.
DonHyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 21:17   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

It isn't clear where you want to use the car, though your location shows Port Blair.
Quote:
We hold cars for long . Future proof features which would help us hold the car longer and not go out of date in 3 years are vital.
If you are looking for an ICE car that would be reliable over a decade, do not buy a diesel, and do not buy a 1.0L turbo petrol. If you decide on an EV (though there's nothing available within your 10L-INR budget), you'd be happy for 7-8 years, with fewer headaches than an ICE-powered car. Then you can buy another car, or another battery.

When you buy a car, look for the one with a reputable service station close to home. You don't want to drive to the next city to service your car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks