Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2022, 14:08   #31
BHPian

Re: First new car for a young professional & his parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaksjr View Post
The Altroz will the only one which can kind of fit in my stretched budget and offer me all the features I need. It remains high on my list, the XUV300 and Nexon are rather expensive for the features I want.
Go for the Altroz then, the ride quality is good, it is spacious in the rear seats, and due to its heavier curb weight, it rides well at highway speeds. But do check out the Nexon and XUV 300 in case there is any discount available on them. If luck favors you might get a good deal on either and bring their price in your budget.
AROO7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 14:26   #32
BHPian

If your dad drives as well, I would suggest you to get an automatic. I would suggest you the following.
- Maruti Suzuki Brezza- I know the base model itself is a stretch, but good ingress and space on offer is good. Plus being a Maruti, service won't be a problem is any corner of India.
- Honda Jazz - Beware about availability of service centre. Otherwise, the CVT is a refined ending and will do a December job of moving between point A and B.
- Tata Nexon - AMT is quite jerky and with Tata's growth on the rise, finding service centres shouldn't be an issue.

In my opinion, i would suggest you to go with CSUV over hatchback. With your parents aging, easy ingress and egress trumps all requirements in a car. Do post on what you've finalised here. All the best!
Aravind_M92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 14:32   #33
BHPian

My requirements for a new car are pretty similar to yours. I have zeroed in on i10 NIOS Turbo for now. A happy compromise between all the paremeters under consideration. I haven't test driven one though so holding it back for now.

Btw if you test drive Altroz D or Nexon, you will likely refrain from liking any of the other vehicles in your list. None of them come close to the two in terms of ride quality, driving dynamics and putting a smile on your face. Especially Altroz in the top variant. I liked the Nexon a lot but family felt claustrophobic in the rear (took multiple TDs). Also, the goodies are mostly reserved for variants out of reach of my budget, friends & family have struggled with TATA ASC and QC in the past so I had to skip them.
anandmv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 14:49   #34
BHPian

If manual is manageable and petrol engine is the requirement, I would suggest the following in no particular order.
Honda City 4th Gen priced at 10.7L on road for the SV variant.
S Cross Sigma variant starts at 10L+.
Ciaz Sigma variant hovers around 10L.
Brezza has a variant that starts at 9L OTR.
Urban Cruiser around 10.1L OTR
All the above are priced around and a little above 10L OTR.
Bargain hard for discounts.
Reality is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 16:06   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AROO7 View Post
Go for the Altroz then, the ride quality is good, it is spacious in the rear seats, and due to its heavier curb weight, it rides well at highway speeds. But do check out the Nexon and XUV 300 in case there is any discount available on them. If luck favors you might get a good deal on either and bring their price in your budget.
With the way the Nexon sells I'll be surprised if there are any discounts on offer haha, but the XUV300 might have it, will check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
If your dad drives as well, I would suggest you to get an automatic. I would suggest you the following.
- Maruti Suzuki Brezza- I know the base model itself is a stretch, but good ingress and space on offer is good. Plus being a Maruti, service won't be a problem is any corner of India.
- Honda Jazz - Beware about availability of service centre. Otherwise, the CVT is a refined ending and will do a December job of moving between point A and B.
- Tata Nexon - AMT is quite jerky and with Tata's growth on the rise, finding service centres shouldn't be an issue.

In my opinion, i would suggest you to go with CSUV over hatchback. With your parents aging, easy ingress and egress trumps all requirements in a car. Do post on what you've finalised here. All the best!
Actually he doesn't, and I'll be the only one driving the car. Hence I have mentioned that a manual works as well, and with my limited heavy traffic commute (maybe once a week), I won't find it difficult to live with a manual. Yes for the ingress/egress and general comfort part, I will take them on all TDs to get their opinions. That will play an important part in the decision, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandmv View Post
My requirements for a new car are pretty similar to yours. I have zeroed in on i10 NIOS Turbo for now. A happy compromise between all the paremeters under consideration. I haven't test driven one though so holding it back for now.

Btw if you test drive Altroz D or Nexon, you will likely refrain from liking any of the other vehicles in your list. None of them come close to the two in terms of ride quality, driving dynamics and putting a smile on your face. Especially Altroz in the top variant. I liked the Nexon a lot but family felt claustrophobic in the rear (took multiple TDs). Also, the goodies are mostly reserved for variants out of reach of my budget, friends & family have struggled with TATA ASC and QC in the past so I had to skip them.
Tata ASC is still a gamble, that is very evident from all the ownership reports available on the forum. I have the Grand i10 Nios in consideration, if budget has to be restricted that might be my choice, in NA guise though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality View Post
If manual is manageable and petrol engine is the requirement, I would suggest the following in no particular order.
Honda City 4th Gen priced at 10.7L on road for the SV variant.
S Cross Sigma variant starts at 10L+.
Ciaz Sigma variant hovers around 10L.
Brezza has a variant that starts at 9L OTR.
Urban Cruiser around 10.1L OTR
All the above are priced around and a little above 10L OTR.
Bargain hard for discounts.
Will be lying if I said I haven't thought about the 4th gen city, seems like a very good choice considering my budget. The Ciaz Sigma is very barebones, I assume the S-Cross Sigma would be similar in feature specs.
I will wait for Baleno facelift and at least TD it, I think that might be my only budget-friendly + decent size option from the MS stable.
Old 15th January 2022, 16:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

This may not be the popular recommendation but do consider the 4th Gen Honda City. Its the perfect car for you in my personal opinion. Also, try to increase uour budget by 1-2 lacs if possible. That way you can go for the top variant or 4th Gen Honda City. Do check the price in your area.

Also, do test drive S-Cross 1.5 petrol (Delta variant specs are decent). Avoid Sigma variant and opt for Delta variant or if possible Zeta (Zeta is kind of fully loaded with all must have features).
Old 15th January 2022, 17:08   #37
BHPian

First of all, I would appreciate your clarity of thought and details provided in your opening post. This helps is to understand your requirements and suggest.

If I were you and I had a trusted friend who can help me get an awesome pre-owned car then I will only be buying a pre owned 1-3 year old not so popular but a great car. The last bit is thrown in for a great deal. So I will possibly be buying a new like car from a segment above, at prices of a segment below.

Finally it will allow you to buy in Delhi and drive down to Down south - so another great cross country trip (and that out station Registration number problem is so over rated). also it’s great to not have to pay those EMIs :-)

Last edited by satishchugh : 15th January 2022 at 17:14. Reason: Added some more details
satishchugh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 21:02   #38
BHPian

Looking at your requirements of a fuss free ownership and value for money offerings, I'd say you should look more deeply into the maruti stable. The new vitara brezza( yet to be launched), has good space inside and it's got the maruti peace of mind( imo that SX4 was a money-pit because of its age, cars require money to maintain after a certain point of time, even our old Alto required more money to maintain as it started aging), but it's rumoured to get features like paddle shifters ( plus the move to an updated 6 speed TC), updated infotainment system, better appointed interiors in general and an improved engine, which will be more towards being fuel efficient. It might cross the requirement of 10L OTR in hosur, but do check that out as well. The new Baleno is also going to be a very VFM package, and is likely to share a lot in common with the updated brezza while keeping the price a bit down.

Since you do not want to compromise on safety, i cannot suggest the swift ZXI+ and the celerio ZXI+, both of which would fall in your budget comfortably and since I've seen them in person, I've had a good impression and imo they have the required features( of course not as many as the competition) but necessities such as android auto/apple carplay, keyless entry and ACC are present. Of course the AT variants come with an AMT/TC and are a bit slow to react in some situations but overall their performance is liveable with.

Also, would suggest to not look at smaller Hyundai cars because they also tend to have issues( not sure how you have found none in the forums, i distinctly remember reading issues like problems with their auto gearboxes, electronics and the increasingly complacent attitude of the dealers with increased demand). They're just expensive maruti counterparts.

The tata altroz is a decent car, but tata aftersales may be a hit or miss, and that is probably the biggest chink in the armour for an otherwise well rounded car. It's got the safety, looks stunning on the road and is loaded for the price. I think you should go with this as it fulfils all your requirements and then some in case you don't go with any maruti option.

The magnite doesn't have interiors that feel durable, plus Nissan might not stay in India too given their low sales. Again, their aftersales may be a hit or miss.
The Kiger has a dull NA engine ( according to the reviews) but if you choose to go with the turbo version it might be out of your budget and since you don't need anything more than a hatchback, it would just be money saved and i feel the altroz would be the better alternative here.
Peri_patetic99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 21:46   #39
BHPian

Quote:
The only reason I started looking at new cars was because I do not have the liquid to buy a used car outright, and used car loans have absurd interest rates. On top of that, used car prices down here are in the stratosphere compared to the NCR.
100% agree with the used car prices in Bangalore/Hosur. It is dangerously close to new cars. But hey, on the interest rate, you can check with your salary account bank. I got a 10.5% ROI for a used car loan from axis. I heard even HDFC offers 10.5%.

SBI offers 8% for new car and 9.75% for used car but SBI's 3 conditions are:
1. Car must be single owner car
2. Car must be under 5 years
3. The car must be sold through a dealer.

I picked up a pre owned 2018 EcoSport Titanium+ TDCi less than i20 sportz cost from Bangalore last week. If you have the patience and luck, you might get a good deal.

I was in the same boat as you a month ago. Same age and similar set of requirements. If it were new, I had shortlisted Altroz XZ+ and Nexon XZ+(both diesel as I drive a lot). Apart from these two, I don't feel other cars offer value for the money we pay.

If it's a Tata, you can approach Lakshmi cars in Chennai, they were giving me a New Nexon XZ+ D for a good deal. Even 2 days ago I got a call from these guys.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 22:07   #40
BHPian

Considering the condition of our roads and the latest trend, the compact crossovers (I wouldn't call them CSUVs) should be on your top priority than the hatchbacks or sedans considering the extra comfort you get with it.

If you are into Value for money with enough safety and features, Kiger/Magnite duo is the best out there (not the NA version)

If you are into little more built quality and a punchy engine Nexon would do.

If you can stretch the budget, XUV300 or the Sonet(Bells & whistles)

The 1.2 NA Tata motor is something I advise you to stay away as it will not age well and you will get saturated with the very low performance it offers.

Above all, take a TD of everything and follow your brain, Good luck
starke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 22:21   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
This may not be the popular recommendation but do consider the 4th Gen Honda City. Its the perfect car for you in my personal opinion.

Also, do test drive S-Cross 1.5 petrol (Delta variant specs are decent). Avoid Sigma variant and opt for Delta variant or if possible Zeta (Zeta is kind of fully loaded with all must have features).
The problem with targeting the higher variant of both these cars is that ex-showroom costs goes above 10L, which in turn takes a real hit on the OTR price, hence I am a bit wary about this. The EMI will stress me out each month

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishchugh View Post
First of all, I would appreciate your clarity of thought and details provided in your opening post. This helps is to understand your requirements and suggest.
Thank you!
Regarding the rest of your points, buying from Delhi and bringing it here is very doable, I know. The registration change though is legally required, even though now most cops don't trouble one for it. (haven't been stopped yet in Bangalore/Hosur, almost been 3 months since I am here)
But without a loan it would be impossible for me to buy an almost-new used car and then it again kind of goes into high-EMI territory because used-car loan durations are not as high as new car loans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peri_patetic99 View Post
*SNIP*
Yes I have the new Baleno in mind, will wait for it to launch and TD it before making a booking. The Brezza kind of goes out of my budget but I do like the car for what it offers, and the facelift will probably offer more for roughly the same price.
Considering how disappointed I am with the Liva's performance, I will give the Kiger/Magnite NA a miss and only go with the Turbo. But then it ventures into Altroz diesel territory and then the Altroz seems like the better bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
100% agree with the used car prices in Bangalore/Hosur. It is dangerously close to new cars. But hey, on the interest rate, you can check with your salary account bank. I got a 10.5% ROI for a used car loan from axis. I heard even HDFC offers 10.5%.

SBI offers 8% for new car and 9.75% for used car but SBI's 3 conditions are:
1. Car must be single owner car
2. Car must be under 5 years
3. The car must be sold through a dealer.

I picked up a pre owned 2018 EcoSport Titanium+ TDCi less than i20 sportz cost from Bangalore last week. If you have the patience and luck, you might get a good deal.

I was in the same boat as you a month ago. Same age and similar set of requirements. If it were new, I had shortlisted Altroz XZ+ and Nexon XZ+(both diesel as I drive a lot). Apart from these two, I don't feel other cars offer value for the money we pay.

If it's a Tata, you can approach Lakshmi cars in Chennai, they were giving me a New Nexon XZ+ D for a good deal. Even 2 days ago I got a call from these guys.
The ROI is surprising, I always heard it to be near to 13-14%. Will discuss once with HDFC, which is my salary account bank.
If the ROI is going to be similar to a new car loan, then it opens up a completely different world of available cars. From used Hexa's to what not haha I seem to be loosing focus. Truth be told, the Altroz is more than the enough of a car I need right now, and posts on this thread are making me shortlist my choices into Altroz D, City 4th Gen SV, Baleno facelift, Amaze D and Kiger turbo if at all the higher GC makes if easier for ingress and egress for my parents.
The Nexon XZ+ goes way over what I can afford right now, unfortunately.
chaksjr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 22:56   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The problem with targeting the higher variant of both these cars is that ex-showroom costs goes above 10L, which in turn takes a real hit on the OTR price, hence I am a bit wary about this. The EMI will stress me out each month
Both 4th Gen Honda City (V variant) and S-Cross (Delta and Zeta) cost less than 10 lacs ex-showroom.

Thing is that target cars with less than 10 lacs ex-showroom price rather than 10 lacs OTR. The current market prices are such that you can have all must have features in a large car (>4000mm) in sub 10 lacs ex-showroom category. It is totally worth it in my opinion.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 23:27   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post
Considering the condition of our roads and the latest trend, the compact crossovers (I wouldn't call them CSUVs) should be on your top priority than the hatchbacks or sedans considering the extra comfort you get with it.

*SNIP*

Above all, take a TD of everything and follow your brain, Good luck
I call them hatchbacks on steroids
I haven't ever driven the 1.2 NA from Tata but have heard enough about it, and mostly it is to avoid it. I had a few months ago rented a diesel Tiago from Zoomcar and even that seemed to go better than my Liva. So will be focusing on the Diesel in the Altroz, and NA petrol only in the case of City/Jazz/i20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Both 4th Gen Honda City (V variant) and S-Cross (Delta and Zeta) cost less than 10 lacs ex-showroom.

Thing is that target cars with less than 10 lacs ex-showroom price rather than 10 lacs OTR. The current market prices are such that you can have all must have features in a large car (>4000mm) in sub 10 lacs ex-showroom category. It is totally worth it in my opinion.
I just realized that, thanks for correcting me. The 4th gen City V is at 9.99 ex-showroom. The Jazz VX MT makes for a compelling deal at 9.9 OTR. It seems to have all the features I want, just concerned about the FE.
chaksjr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 23:32   #44
BANNED

My friend, just get the Altroz, it's the most vfm car out there, features, safety, good diesel engine and looks, what else do you want?
Piyush Kanthak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 08:04   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Jazz VX MT makes for a compelling deal at 9.9 OTR. It seems to have all the features I want, just concerned about the FE.
I am surprised that no one pointed out how lukewarm that 1.2 ivtec is. It isnt exciting by any means. It isn't great when it comes to fuel efficiency too.

If it has to be ivtec, it needs to be 1500cc or more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks