Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2022, 08:19   #46
BHPian

Re: First new car for a young professional & his parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I am surprised that no one pointed out how lukewarm that 1.2 ivtec is. It isnt exciting by any means. It isn't great when it comes to fuel efficiency too.

If it has to be ivtec, it needs to be 1500cc or more.
So between the Tata 1.2NA/my current Liva 1.2NA/Honda 1.2NA/Hyundai 1.2NA, which is the better one?
Also surprisingly the Jazz has a much lower ARAI rated FE than the Amaze with the same engine. The Jazz is also lower than the 4th gen City with the 1.5L I-Vtec.

I'll be able to figure the drivability and fun factor during my TDs, though no 1.2L NA seems to have an enthusiastic nature.
Old 16th January 2022, 08:29   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaksjr View Post
So between the Tata 1.2NA/my current Liva 1.2NA/Honda 1.2NA/Hyundai 1.2NA, which is the better one?
I'll be able to figure the drivability and fun factor during my TDs, though no 1.2L NA seems to have an enthusiastic nature.
I haven't driven the liva petrol or Hyundai 1.2 NA. Among the choices you have specified, the Honda is the best from my experience.

If you are looking at 1.2 NA, Maruti Suzuki can't be ignored. They are fun as well as frugal.

Also try Polo 1.0 tsi. Falls under the budget, and it is one cracker of a car. One test drive, you will be sold.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 08:34   #48
BHPian

Quote:
I haven't driven the liva petrol or Hyundai 1.2 NA. Among the choices you have specified, the Honda is the best from my experience.

If you are looking at 1.2 NA, Maruti Suzuki can't be ignored. They are fun as well as frugal.

Also try Polo 1.0 tsi. Falls under the budget, and it is one cracker of a car. One test drive, you will be sold.
Haha yes, if it has to be a 1.2L NA I'll fall right into the Swift. Though with its skewed safety quotient, it really isn't on my list right now.

I've been ignoring the Polo because of a few reasons -

1. Low rear seat space, need to be sure its comfy for parents
2. Availability is currently a question mark. A Bangalore dealer told me delivery roughly in July if I were to book today.
3. Even though it has all the features I need, it is 12 years old now and not even sure if VW will produce it anymore.
chaksjr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 12:53   #49
BHPian

Quote:

The ROI is surprising, I always heard it to be near to 13-14%. Will discuss once with HDFC, which is my salary account bank.
If the ROI is going to be similar to a new car loan, then it opens up a completely different world of available cars. From used Hexa's to what not haha I seem to be loosing focus. Truth be told, the Altroz is more than the enough of a car I need right now, and posts on this thread are making me shortlist my choices into Altroz D, City 4th Gen SV, Baleno facelift, Amaze D and Kiger turbo if at all the higher GC makes if easier for ingress and egress for my parents.
The Nexon XZ+ goes way over what I can afford right now, unfortunately.
I'd suggest to avoid Hexas because at the price and age these cars are priced at, Hexas will be close to 1L km territory or more. Plus older Tatas aren't quite easy on the pocket once they cross 1L.

S-Cross 1.3 Alpha or 1.6 is also a good option to consider and these you can get within 8-9L.

I had even seen Dusters which was within budget but all were 6+ years old. Terranos are available at even lower prices and lower age but more distance on the odo.

Nexon XM(S)(with sunroof) would be a better pick than Altroz as the price is almost identical but you will spend close to a lakh on sprucing it up. Plus no rear wiper and front foglamps in XM variant. Foglamps can be added though as an OE part.

New Polo TSI is fun to drive and frugal if you're easy on the right foot. But in Bangalore at least, no stocks of any polo for the next 3-4 months and seems like VW is doing a favor by selling a Polo.

If you're open to Fords, you might get a 3-4 year old EcoSport diesel(Either Titanium+ or S) for under 10L.

The bank interest part, you need to speak to the branch manager to get a 10.5% ROI for a used car loan. If you apply through online, then it will definitely be 13-14%.

All the best for your new steed!

Last edited by jithin23 : 16th January 2022 at 13:00. Reason: Added content
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 14:42   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post

*SNIP*

All the best for your new steed!
I'll have a look at used cars only after having the ROI discussion with my bank, otherwise its a no-no.
And the Nexon XM/XM(S) doesn't have most of the things I want, so between the Nexon and the Altroz it'll definitely be the Altroz & that is primarily because many of things can't be added post buying the car, like a rear wiper. [well it can be but its a long list of things to be changed/modified]
Old 16th January 2022, 16:37   #51
BHPian

Quote:
I'll have a look at used cars only after having the ROI discussion with my bank, otherwise its a no-no.
And the Nexon XM/XM(S) doesn't have most of the things I want, so between the Nexon and the Altroz it'll definitely be the Altroz & that is primarily because many of things can't be added post buying the car, like a rear wiper. [well it can be but its a long list of things to be changed/modified]
Makes sense. Even I went for a used car only under the same condition. Else new makes more sense and right, rear wiper can't be retrofitted on a Nexon. So Altroz is the only viable option if new and used means you have a ton of choices.

Do post pics of the car you're getting once you get it
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 19:50   #52
BHPian

Quote:
I learned to drive and got a license in August - went to Buy Tiago and bought a Polo TSI instead. Dont have a baseline but I can say this.

You feel confident in a Polo- Took it to Mysore and back in heavy traffic roads . Its safe and it overtakes really fast once you put a gear down.

I strongly believe that ability to overtake fast is a safety feature

Gist being go for cars rated safe as most of the new cars, be it hatchback / SUV others are buying are rated safe as well .wink wink
arbardhan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 19:55   #53
BHPian

Quote:
1. Low rear seat space, need to be sure its comfy for parentseven sure if VW will produce it anymore.
Take your parents to the drive. Its sufficient for 2 in the back - Tight for 3.
Also depends on family size. VW increased polo production 197 in NOV vs 760 in DEC.
arbardhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 20:39   #54

Im in the same boat as you chaksjr and your spreadsheet is meticulous.
Im looking for a fun to drive and reliable hatchback for <10 lacs as i dont want to burden myself with excess EMI's.

However my running is on the higher side around 1800 - 2000 km per month, so reliability is a very high priority for me.

Having lived with a Swift diesel since the past decade which is utterly reliable and fun to drive, i find it difficult to find a similar car in the price bracket.

My considerations for now are
1. Polo TSI MT comfortline - Subject to availability
2. Altroz XZ Diesel
3. Stretch the budget and get a Sonet diesel AT HTX - This will be burden.

Please update your decision and do post the pics of your new ride.
Praneeth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 00:16   #55
BHPian

If you are seriously considerimg Jazz/Amaze petrol versions, get the CVT and not the manual

The 1.2 litre NA engine is very weak and needs downshifts for quick overtakes. This dents the FE besides being slightly more stressful

The CVT in Sports mode masks the power issue to an extent at the expense of FE. The cruise control plus Drive mode in the CVT delivers excellent FE

The Jazz seems to have more interior space than Amaze and almost same as 4th gen city). Fit and finish of Jazz seems better than amaze and 4th gen city

Since you will be spending 2 to 2.30 hrs in commute every day (both ways) a CVT will be relaxing, especially the workplace to home trip at the end of a tiring day

And BTW if you can slightly push your budget you can get SVMT 4th gen Honda City
Voodooblaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 08:20   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Purely in terms of performance:

1) Hyundai (avbl in Xcent/Aura/i10,i20)
2) Liva
3) Honda
4) Tata (it struggles in steep inclines even in 1st gear)

Quote:
no 1.2L NA seems to have an enthusiastic nature
The 1.2 litres doing duty in Swift/Wagon R/Baleno seem to offer a better performance. Probably because of the lighter weight
Old 17th January 2022, 09:50   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbardhan View Post
I learned to drive and got a license in August - went to Buy Tiago and bought a Polo TSI instead. Dont have a baseline but I can say this.

You feel confident in a Polo- Took it to Mysore and back in heavy traffic roads . Its safe and it overtakes really fast once you put a gear down.

I strongly believe that ability to overtake fast is a safety feature

Gist being go for cars rated safe as most of the new cars, be it hatchback / SUV others are buying are rated safe as well .wink wink
The Polo is no doubt a great driver's car. Concern lies with being a little too-old-in-the-tooth and the back seat does need to checked. Also, what is the real-world mileage you're able to get out of the Polo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbardhan View Post
Take your parents to the drive. Its sufficient for 2 in the back - Tight for 3.
Also depends on family size. VW increased polo production 197 in NOV vs 760 in DEC.
Yes so I noted too recently. Will try and contact the Hosur Road VW dealer again regarding availability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praneeth View Post
Im in the same boat as you chaksjr and your spreadsheet is meticulous.
Im looking for a fun to drive and reliable hatchback for <10 lacs as i dont want to burden myself with excess EMI's.

However my running is on the higher side around 1800 - 2000 km per month, so reliability is a very high priority for me.

Having lived with a Swift diesel since the past decade which is utterly reliable and fun to drive, i find it difficult to find a similar car in the price bracket.

My considerations for now are
1. Polo TSI MT comfortline - Subject to availability
2. Altroz XZ Diesel
3. Stretch the budget and get a Sonet diesel AT HTX - This will be burden.

Please update your decision and do post the pics of your new ride.
Your running does warrant a diesel, and the best of budget and decent performance would come only from the Altroz, and this is only because MS stopped giving us diesels. The Polo will make monthly fuel bills very expensive, unless you drive on the highway all the time. You could try the i10 NIOS CRDi as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooblaster View Post
Purely in terms of performance:

1) Hyundai (avbl in Xcent/Aura/i10,i20)
2) Liva
3) Honda
4) Tata (it struggles in steep inclines even in 1st gear)

The 1.2 litres doing duty in Swift/Wagon R/Baleno seem to offer a better performance. Probably because of the lighter weight
That's true, MS clearly has the better engines here when comparing the 1.2L NA units. I will be trying the other 3 brands as well. Maybe first thing is to figure and discuss within family whether to go for a petrol or a diesel car.

That'll help with some clear choices.
chaksjr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 18:33   #58
BHPian

Need help buying my first car

Hi Team BHPians,

I am considering buying my first car after years of use on 2 wheelers. My knowledge about the cars is very limited and all I get is from reading the Team-BHP forums, be it related to car reviews or user discussions on specific topics. I’m not a great driver either and my experience is limited to some 3 years of driving on GCC with Toyota Fortuner LHD 4WD and some rare, limited runs in India.

My post may be bit elaborate, but I need to put forward the points clearly so that the forum and the community may understand my needs and help me much better. Kindly bear with me.

My priorities, what I can’t let go:

• A top-class engine – Not a peppy one. But one that can give me room to make the quick overtaking without any doubt and with sheer confidence

• Ride quality – I’m going into 40s and with aged parents of 60+ need a comfortable ride. Also my occasional and unplanned commutes go over above 100+kms in a day. Having a good ride quality won’t hurt me. Also driving visibility should be much better. One thing I again appreciate from Toyota Fortuner times.

• Reliability – Me and my family are moving from a Honda Activa 2-wheeler. One thing that I can’t forget about my 2-wheeler experience is the sheer amount of reliability it had. My philosophy has always been “a reliable vehicle is half of the problem solved in commuting”. So same goes into the requirements for 4-wheeler as well. The steed should be solid and able to handle some rough usage.

• Safety – Something I value most. This is no compromise thing for me and family. But don’t believe only on the GNCAPs star rating alone. I would love to hear some valuable advice on this over all choices

• A competent automatic – This car will be used by me and family. So having an automatic will be of much help. I’m aware there are many ATs like AMT, CVT, DCT, TC and IMT. I understand that DCT and TC are super good, but I’ve seen many BHPians complain related to the DCT and TC gear box issues. It’s either have it or leave it case. CVT is most loved by all is my understanding from forum topics. AMT has its fair share of hate and love. IMT – I don’t like them especially after reading about the Kia cars failure. Again, my days with 2-wheeler have taught me that a competent automatic can handle any big manuals on track much effectively.

• A reasonably spacious interior – I need this car mainly for city commutes and occasional trips to my home town, it’s well over 1000+ kms. Should seat at least 4 fully grown individuals. I’m 5.6 ft and my dad is 6 ft. Having a good leg room will be most welcome for my aged parents and family. My kids are also growing up. So a spacious interior will be most welcome.

• Supportive driving seat & ergonomic driving position – The car may be used by self and spouse. So having a seat adjustment for the driver will be most welcome. This is something I'm very particular about. My personal thinking is an excellent seat + perfect ergonomics will any day be it short commute or long drives. My experience with Toyota Fortuner has made me appreciate this one aspect.

• Brakes – No bad braking please. I’m not comfortable with it

• Handling – No long and hard clutch. No bad steering at any cost

Not so important, what I can live with:

• Fuel economy – In India FE determines sales of any vehicle. I’m also concerned, but at one point I’ve to live with it. I can make do with a reliable, safe car that is low on FE, rather than on one that high on FE and low on everything else

• Size – I’m looking for something less 4m. But if things over this fit my requirement, I’ll be happy to consider it

• Interior quality and infotainment – Not the eye catching one are required. Rather that fulfills the requirements will be much welcome from me. Nothing flashy, but rather functional is needed.

• Boot space – I need this car mainly for city commutes and occasional trips to my home town. I don’t mind adding in an overhead luggage box to hold them on long trips. So provisions for this will be most welcome

• Ground clearance – Indian roads have bad and shoddy patches. I need a vehicle that can steer me clear of this hiccups and land me safely at destination. Also understand the fact that today’s cars have a generous ground clearance compared to what we had a decade ago.

• ASS – After Sales Service is one thing which is always a subjective issue. What is good for someone may be bad for the other. Having a service station and options will be much better. I can still work around with one or the other dealer to get things running and also suggestions from fellow BHPians.

• Model and brand – Nothing specific. But one thing I hate is a half baked or half hearted support from the OEM. Don’t want to invest in a brand that will leave me into oblivion. Also not interested to invest in a model that will be discontinued soon or a brand that will quit the market

• Used vs New – I’ve read a lot on this. No comments. But getting a trusted one is a difficult thing now-a-days. True value dealers will tempt with great deals but not the exact models and brands we look for are available always.

• Petrol or Diesel or CNG or EV – I’m very much open on this topic. Not sure about safety of the car with CNG, correct me if I’m wrong guys. Also very skeptical about the EVs as the milage, charging options and infrastructure at this moment is not that great.

• Sedan vs Hatchback/Cross-over/SUV - A sedan is always a great option any time. But only worry is commuting at city driving in Metro traffic and the cost they command despite offering only a little convinience over the other models. Additional boot space can be tempting in the sedan but on my daily use and commutes it will rarely ever be filled to the full and my thought was any Hatchback/Cross-over/SUV with a decent boot space will be get the job done.

Absolutely additional, what I least expect from it:
• Style – Looks and style are perceptive things in my opinion. My car model doesn’t have to be a style icon or fashion statement. It has to fulfill the requirement of transporting from point A to point B safely, with reliability and decent drivability
• 4WD – Not required for my usage and terrain involved. Also won’t fit in my budget either.
• PHEVs, HEVs – This segment is tad over-priced in India and not much explored one. Still suggestions if any are most welcome.

Options I’ve considered:

I completely understand that my options have some segment and type cross-overs. They are not equal choices, rather equivalent

Honda – Jazz VX or ZX CVT, City VX CVT Gen 5
Tata – Tiago iCNG & NRG, Punch, Altroz iTurbo, Nexon
Hyundai – Grand i10 NIOS, all new i20
Maruti Suzuki – Vittara Brezza CNG, S-Cross, Ertiga Gen 2 CNG
Renault – Triber

Please point out any prominent things that I should look for during my purchase checklist. Like a list of essential and must have features in a car. Also some features may be too costly with OEM and still an after market fitment without voiding warranty and at less cost is available.
Old 3rd February 2022, 08:21   #59
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need help buying my first car

Quote:
With these things in mind, looking forward to suggestions and opinions from the forum.
Would just like to add a few pointers on top of what other members have already mentioned :
- Baleno : wait for the new one, might do well on safety at least the dimples
- Brezza : wait for the new one, the current gen might be discounted and the VXi comes within your budget.
- Altroz : explore the iTurbo as well as the diesel. Ditto on Prassy's thread, he can and is guiding you best on this

On the 1.2 NA, I found the Hyundai 1.2Kappa on the i20 Elite to be more responsive than TML's 1.2 on a Tiago. Haven't driven the Jazz's 1.2 enough to say anything though. Hyundai is almost as close MSIL on this but probably the K12B has a slight edge and the K12N should be even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssathiyanarayan View Post
They are not equal choices, rather equivalent

Honda – Jazz VX or ZX CVT, City VX CVT Gen 5
Tata – Tiago iCNG & NRG, Punch, Altroz iTurbo, Nexon
Hyundai – Grand i10 NIOS, all new i20
Maruti Suzuki – Vittara Brezza CNG, S-Cross, Ertiga Gen 2 CNG
Renault – Triber
Condensing your requirements, in my words, please correct me if I am wrong :
- Good ingress/egress
- competent engine (petrol)
- competent automatic (TC/CVT)
- well built
- Good GC, 180mm and above
- good on space but not very large
- 16 lakhs on road

Recommendations, not in order :
- S-Cross Zeta AT : seems like an optimal match, take a look at the Alpha if that makes more sense with its features
- i20 Asta IVT : spacious, comfortable and most modern of the lot in a good way, has that uplifting factor.
- City VX CVT : premium interiors and space, comfortable ride, highway ride has some softness to it as reported, briliant engine.

- Ertiga AT : would recommend to also check the XL6, more premium with captain seats in the middle row.
- Brezza AT : wait for the updated version
- Altroz/Tiago : none of the TML cars have a CVT/TC before the Harrier.

Last edited by shancz : 3rd February 2022 at 08:42. Reason: specific wording
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 14:20   #60
BHPian

Re: Need help buying my first car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Would just like to add a few pointers on top of what other members have already mentioned :
- Baleno : wait for the new one, might do well on safety at least the dimples
- Brezza : wait for the new one, the current gen might be discounted and the VXi comes within your budget.
- Altroz : explore the iTurbo as well as the diesel. Ditto on Prassy's thread, he can and is guiding you best on this

On the 1.2 NA, I found the Hyundai 1.2Kappa on the i20 Elite to be more responsive than TML's 1.2 on a Tiago. Haven't driven the Jazz's 1.2 enough to say anything though. Hyundai is almost as close MSIL on this but probably the K12B has a slight edge and the K12N should be even better.

Condensing your requirements, in my words, please correct me if I am wrong :
- Good ingress/egress
- competent engine (petrol)
- competent automatic (TC/CVT)
- well built
- Good GC, 180mm and above
- good on space but not very large
- 16 lakhs on road

Recommendations, not in order :
- S-Cross Zeta AT : seems like an optimal match, take a look at the Alpha if that makes more sense with its features
- i20 Asta IVT : spacious, comfortable and most modern of the lot in a good way, has that uplifting factor.
- City VX CVT : premium interiors and space, comfortable ride, highway ride has some softness to it as reported, briliant engine.

- Ertiga AT : would recommend to also check the XL6, more premium with captain seats in the middle row.
- Brezza AT : wait for the updated version
- Altroz/Tiago : none of the TML cars have a CVT/TC before the Harrier.

Thanks for the suggestions. With most of the MSIL models due for an update including Ertiga, Brezza, Baleno, S-Cross - All of them are going to have their upgrades on body and drive train combinations. So it will be bit wait and watch for me.

XL6 only the interiors are different and doesn't command a premium in pricing as MSIL expect. It's my personal opinion.

I'm not sure of i20 or for that matter with any Hyundais. They seem to be costly counterpart to their MSIL offerings. Also from Team BHP forums understand that the serviceability and maintenance are not similar to MSIL.

I'm convinced with Tata Altroz but the only holding thing is the lack of automatic options.

Saw a Skoda Slavia just getting into showroom and i've got bit struck by the looks of it. Team BHPians also have lavish praise for the car.

Honda City only bummer is that Honda's plan for a heavy hybrid upgrade planned later this year. Don't want to get pitied after few months of buying.
ssathiyanarayan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks