Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2022, 21:08   #1
BHPian

First new car for a young professional & his parents

Hello Team-BHP!

This will be my first new thread here so forewarning, I'll try and make it as detailed as possible. Incase you do not want to go through the whole post, the TL;DR is -

New car within 10L OTR (Hosur, TN); monthly drive of minimum 1000kms, 95% solo. Involving a daily work commute of 38kms with 28kms of it on the highway. Car will be financed through a bank loan, hence car will be retained at least for the next 6-7 years.

Background
I am a 26 year old product engineering rookie who has spent all his life in Delhi until October 2021 (and 4 years in Shivamogga for college), and has now moved to Hosur with a work commute to Attibele. We have owned only used cars till date and this will be our first new car.
We will undertake about 2-3 road trips each year, mostly to Coimbatore and other places in TN. I plan to take my car on trips with friends to any of the 4 Southern states and Goa a few times a year (if a Goa plan is ever made to not be cancelled). Yearly running can therefore expected to be ~15k kms.

What do you want from the vehicle?
I am still at early stages of my career hence I would want something which can give me peace of mind ownership along with decent fuel economy. Driving fun is not high on the list, I will reserve that criteria for when I can truly afford an enthusiasts car. Safety is of high importance due to a major part of my daily driving being on the highway. Does not mean that it has to be a 5-star rated GNCAP car, but should have a decent set of active & passive safety features.
I am an enthusiastic driver and have an unending love for all things automotive. Though with this being my first purchase, I am trying to be conscious enough to let the head make the decision rather than the heart.

Auto or manual?
Manual will be manageable due to negligible bumper-to-bumper traffic runs. AMT's are an obvious option but can only determine if I can live with them post TD's. Budget stretches can get me a Honda/Renault/Nissan CVT, will need to discuss with the head's of the household. AMTs and CVTs seem to as reliable as manuals, hence open to all.

Purchase timeline and TDs
The purchase (I mean the booking) is still a few months away, not before the start of FY22-23. I have not test driven any vehicle yet and only intend to do so when I am actually ready to book one.
I will obviously be taking my parents for each TD and getting their opinions on comfort primarily since they are both on the wiser side of 65. Their feedback and likings will play a major role in the choice but I would still love to take opinions from the forum in the meantime.
Since the purchase is a few months away, any launches in the next few months fitting into my requirements and budget will be on the list as well, and would like the forum to enlighten me on the same.

What have you owned/own currently?
As mentioned earlier, we have only owned pre-owned cars till date, detailing them out below -

1. Tata Nano LX (Aug 2012 - Dec 2016)

This was a loaner from dad's office and our first ever vehicle. Was driven over 35k kms when it was with us, though mostly by a driver since dad couldn't drive and I used to be away at college. The farthest we took it was onto a Dehradun-Rishikesh trip from Delhi during monsoons.

The Nano at home in the WAC, Subroto Park
First new car for a young professional & his parents-nano.jpg

2. MS Sx4 VXi (Nov 2016 - Feb 2018)

Was the first car we actually 'bought'. Had no idea about used car prices at the time and purchased at a very high price of 2.6L. This was a 2008 car which was at 92k kms on the odo at that time. Drove it for about 12k kms before selling it off because it had started to become a money pit.

The beige boy in rural Gurugram
First new car for a young professional & his parents-sx4.jpg

3. Toyota Corolla H2 E (Feb 2018 - Sept 2019)

My friend had established his pre-owned car business by now and I got the Sx4 sold through him and bought the Corolla. I had driven his 2008 Corolla a lot by now and I was in love with the comfort and more than decent performance of the 1.8L. Considering that it would be a reliable car, purchased this and made the mistake of installing a CNG kit into it. The car was at 78k kms when I got it, drove it for about 25k more before selling it off. I would have removed the CNG kit and kept it if the RC could be renewed. Also spray-painted the alloys matt black over a cold Saturday along with a couple of my friends late in 2018.

The ever-reliable T in the fields of Haryana near Asaoti
First new car for a young professional & his parents-corolla.jpg

4. Toyota Etios Liva VX (P) (Sept 2019 - till date)

Sold the Corolla through my friend again and bought the Liva from him. If I may be allowed to, his business is called Fidomotus and can be reached via www.fidomotus.com [MODS: if I am violating forum rules by mentioning this please let me know]. The Liva was at 72k kms when I bought it and the odo is presently a shade over 95k kms. This would have been much higher if not for the Covid lockdowns and WFH sessions. Except a few new parts in the clutch assembly and the front shocks, have not spent any money on the car barring the usual maintenance. It is currently suffering from a clunky front left suspension (I am suspecting a worn out control arm bush) and a music system which seems to be getting quieter as time goes by. The spray paint treatment has been given to the Liva as well (although gloss black) just a few days before the 2nd Covid wave hit us.

The Liva at home in Hosur on Diwali night, 2021
First new car for a young professional & his parents-etiosliva.jpg

Have you done any research yet?
Yes, yes I have. Post moving to Hosur I have spent a decent amount of time going through carwale, getting a few quotes from dealers, browsing YouTube videos and of course this beloved forum. I created an excel for whatever info I could find.

The prices mentioned in my spreadsheet are a little old and directly from carwale, so do not quote me on them. I categorized the EMI's into zones basis financial comfort, pretty self explanatory. The 2L down payment is an approximate assuming that is what I'll get when I sell of the Liva. The actual sale cost will determine the exact down payment. A 6 year EMI is for sure(my bank is willing to offer a max of 6), the rate of interest is an assumption for now at 9%. Can go down and hopefully not up.

First new car for a young professional & his parents-pricesbrief.png

First new car for a young professional & his parents-featuresbrief.png

The above snip shows what sort of features I am desiring in the vehicle(in no particular order). While all are not an absolute need-to-have, it would be good to incorporate as much as possible.
I initially considered only petrol's before realizing I am not in the NCR anymore & that my daily highway runs should keep me safe from frequent DPF tantrums. So I am open to diesels as well. I did a quick calculation taking the Altroz (XZ+) as an example, and with a 1000kms run in a month, I will be able to cover up the EMI difference with savings in fuel cost. Below table assuming an FE of 15 for the Petrol and 19 for the Diesel at current fuel prices.

Name:  FuelCostsExample.PNG
Views: 1524
Size:  6.2 KB

I think my finances and requirements have a Maruti written all over it, but I have a fairly wary opinion of the brand (partly due to my experience with the Sx4 and the safety quotient). Though the upcoming Baleno facelift has my attention, will at least TD post its launch.

Between an average height hatch and one on steroids, I stand very open to both, although it never harms to have more ground clearance on our roads.

From reading through this forum and viewing videos online, I have figured out the below issues with some of my choices.

1. Kiger - the dust ingress and exit from the tail light and lower fog lights. Though I believe Renault is now offering a solution for existing customers and have hopefully added the same from factory for new dispatches.
2. Magnite - some owners have reported rattles very early on in their ownership experiences.
3. Altroz - vibration from the engine bay, solution already available here on the forum. On the flip-side, Prasanna's ownership thread makes me want to just get one!
4. Amaze - wide-spread complaints with respect to the engine mounts (only restricted to the Diesel though, I think)
5. Tiago & Tigor - fuel pump failure if driven frequently on less than half a tank of petrol.

Could not find anything specific on the Hyundai's and the Nexon.

My current dislikes/likes on any of the options are limited to the features list, and will only truly solidify once I have TDed each of them.

With these things in mind, looking forward to suggestions and opinions from the forum. If I have missed out on any options please do let me know.

Last edited by chaksjr : 13th January 2022 at 21:13. Reason: Addition of auto/manual paragraph.
chaksjr is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 21:21   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: First new car for a young professional & his parents

Consider the Jazz V CVT for ease of driving and comfort. If you can find a Rapid rider plus or Polo TSi, do consider them. If you are keen on a diesel then the Altroz or Amaze I-Dtec are decent options. Please search enough, you will find some shocking things on Hyundais.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 21:30   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Consider the Jazz V CVT for ease of driving and comfort. If you can find a Rapid rider plus or Polo TSi, do consider them. If you are keen on a diesel then the Altroz or Amaze I-Dtec are decent options. Please search enough, you will find some shocking things on Hyundais.
Are the Amaze and Jazz on the same platform? I will add the Jazz on the list as well, considering the V fits well into the budget, even though the range begins at a much higher price point than the Amaze.

The Hosur Road VW dealer had no Polo in stock and told me that he doesn't expect a HL+ MT to be delivered before June even if booked today. The Polo is still in my head, though the heart is the one which wants it. It counts high on driving feel, not so much on economy and probable ease of maintenance. Same case for the Rapid (which is only available in the Matt edition at the Hosur Skoda dealer).

I am aware of the typical Hyundai pain points these days, just that I could not find anything specific on the Grand i10/new i20 yet.
Old 13th January 2022, 22:41   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaksjr View Post
Hello Team-BHP!

New car within 10L OTR (Hosur, TN); monthly drive of minimum 1000kms, 95% solo. Involving a daily work commute of 38kms with 28kms of it on the highway. Car will be financed through a bank loan, hence car will be retained at least for the next 6-7 years.
First of all, great choice in cars so far. SX4, Corolla & Liva are all amazing cars to drive (without the CNG kit of course. But hey! we make mistakes and we learn.)

I got really excited reading your post as this will be your first new car, so congratulations on that

As Asit pointed out Jazz & Polo will be both great choices. However, as an existing owner of a Polo, I'd advice you against it only because of the cramped 'fit-for-a-child-only' rear seat. Since you mentioned that your parents will be traveling with you as well, this will play a major spoil sport in your long drives. Jazz on the other hand has oodles of space, a comfortable ride and fuss-free ownership thanks to Honda's Anytime Warranty. With a light foot and mostly highway driving, you'll get a decent mileage out of it as well.

Also, start taking TDs now, so you have a good idea about which ones you don't like and which ones to take multiple TDs of, by the time you're ready to put down the money. And request for longer ones & in different driving conditions to get a better sense of the car.

Do update us on which way you decide eventually.
GrandTourer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 22:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
First of all, great choice in cars so far. SX4, Corolla & Liva are all amazing cars to drive (without the CNG kit of course. But hey! we make mistakes and we learn.)

I got really excited reading your post as this will be your first new car, so congratulations on that
Thank you

Quote:
Since you mentioned that your parents will be traveling with you as well, this will play a major spoil sport in your long drives. Jazz on the other hand has oodles of space, a comfortable ride and fuss-free ownership thanks to Honda's Anytime Warranty. With a light foot and mostly highway driving, you'll get a decent mileage out of it as well.

Also, start taking TDs now, so you have a good idea about which ones you don't like and which ones to take multiple TDs of, by the time you're ready to put down the money. And request for longer ones & in different driving conditions to get a better sense of the car.

Do update us on which way you decide eventually.
I am now starting to think why I have not considered the Jazz yet, I remember downloading the brochure and going through the whole thing. I think it was because 'V' did not have the features I wanted, will reconsider once though.

Will of course update on the final choice, & will look at TDs once the current Covid wave tapers off.
chaksjr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 03:26   #6
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Among your list, I'd go for the Nexon but in the XMS guise. XMS not for the sunroof but the steering mounted controls which are an important safety feature. Though you can get them installed aftermarket as well, the exact OEM type.

Since you are open to diesels as well, do consder the i20 Sportz. It has a better diesel as compared to the Altroz. The Altroz does have a 5 star GNCAP advantage though. If you don't need a sedan form factor, I'll prefer the i20 Sportz anyday over the Amaze S diesel.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 07:55   #7
BHPian

Why haven't you even considered Tata Punch? TD and take your pick from the NA manual or AMT, if you can wait, Punch is coming with a turbo.
Vinod_nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 07:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Among your list, I'd go for the Nexon but in the XMS guise. XMS not for the sunroof but the steering mounted controls which are an important safety feature. Though you can get them installed aftermarket as well, the exact OEM type.

Since you are open to diesels as well, do consder the i20 Sportz. It has a better diesel as compared to the Altroz. The Altroz does have a 5 star GNCAP advantage though. If you don't need a sedan form factor, I'll prefer the i20 Sportz anyday over the Amaze S diesel.
Yes a sedan form factor is not really required, I can comfortably make do with a hatchback.

Looking at the suggestions, I think I must mention that the following features are something I absolutely want, picked up the list in my original post.

1. Android Auto - would be a crime to not get one in today's age. Plonking on a 25k-30k Sony/Pioneer/JBL system later on is something I want to avoid.
2. Rear wash & wipe - absolutely needed incase of a hatch. I was missing one for the initial few days here in Hosur on my Liva and it was hell driving in the rain on the highways.
3. Other almost non-negotiable's are e-folding ORVMs and climate control. Though I think e-folding ORVMs can be added later on as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Why haven't you even considered Tata Punch? TD and take your pick from the NA manual or AMT, if you can wait, Punch is coming with a turbo.
The Punch Creative (without iRA) is priced as much as the Altroz XZ+, it just did not seem to make sense to me. Plus I personally am not very fond of how the Punch looks from most angles. These were the primary reasons why I have not considered it.

Last edited by vb-saan : 14th January 2022 at 09:13. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
Old 14th January 2022, 16:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Do TD a Punch. You might like it.

It's good looking, spacious for four, has a great ride, is planted on highways and keeping in mind that a majority of your run is on the highway, it's safe too.
ashutoshb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 17:12   #10
BHPian

I'd suggest a red Altroz diesel, looks great ! safe car, diesel so will be efficient to use daily. You can get a fairly kitted variant under 10 lakhs budget. Also did I mention the car is damn good looking ? I also like the Kiger, it looks way bigger than it actually is ! Please read through ownership reports and official reviews before signing the cheque. Happy shopping !
Akshay6988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 17:15   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

My current dislikes/likes on any of the options are limited to the features list, and will only truly solidify once I have TDed each of them.

With these things in mind, looking forward to suggestions and opinions from the forum. If I have missed out on any options please do let me know.
Your usage perhaps does not require a crossover SUV, expansive highways of TN are a blessing.

Considering this is the first new car and you`ve had sedans before, consider a sedan once again. Check out the base variant Verna & Ciaz, you do get a big car for the money and engines are very smooth while the interiors are well appointed.

Also do not ignore the brand that you already have - Toyota, check out the urban cruiser.
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 18:21   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Do TD a Punch. You might like it.

It's good looking, spacious for four, has a great ride, is planted on highways and keeping in mind that a majority of your run is on the highway, it's safe too.
I'm kind of divided on the good looking part and just that against an Altroz, it seems to relatively lesser value for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
I'd suggest a red Altroz diesel, looks great ! safe car, diesel so will be efficient to use daily. You can get a fairly kitted variant under 10 lakhs budget. Also did I mention the car is damn good looking ? I also like the Kiger, it looks way bigger than it actually is ! Please read through ownership reports and official reviews before signing the cheque. Happy shopping !
I have the Altroz high on my list, as I said in the original post Prasanna's ownership makes me want to get a red diesel Altroz right away
The Kiger too is a car I like, though will have to go for the turbo since I believe the NA is pretty lackluster in performance and I won't find it any better than my current Liva.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Your usage perhaps does not require a crossover SUV, expansive highways of TN are a blessing.

Considering this is the first new car and you`ve had sedans before, consider a sedan once again. Check out the base variant Verna & Ciaz, you do get a big car for the money and engines are very smooth while the interiors are well appointed.

Also do not ignore the brand that you already have - Toyota, check out the urban cruiser.
Will have a look at the Ciaz and Verna base variants, though I am sure I will not be very drawn to them due to absence of most features that I would want. And the UC is just a Brezza, might as well buy the Brezza if I have to take that car.
chaksjr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 18:25   #13
BHPian

Since you’ve already owned one and were quite happy with it, I’d say look at lightly used Corollas in your budget, you’ll find many low run examples. It’ll be cheap to maintain and much better at long distance travel with family than any of the new hatchbacks you’re considering, will have more space as well.

Alternate option: since you’re just starting out in your career, if I were in your shoes I’d pick up a 2014-15 Amaze/Jazz for 3.5-4L and save the balance 6L, invest it and buy a much nicer car 5-8 years down the line. As a 2013 Amaze owner I can tell you maintenance is a non issue with these cars, periodic service is all you need. Make sure you look at top models (VX) only as the rest didn’t get airbags. Cheers.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 18:31   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Since you’ve already owned one and were quite happy with it, I’d say look at lightly used Corollas in your budget, you’ll find many low run examples. It’ll be cheap to maintain and much better at long distance travel with family than any of the new hatchbacks you’re considering, will have more space as well.

Alternate option: since you’re just starting out in your career, if I were in your shoes I’d pick up a 2014-15 Amaze/Jazz for 3.5-4L and save the balance 6L, invest it and buy a much nicer car 5-8 years down the line.
Cheers.
The only reason I started looking at new cars was because I do not have the liquid to buy a used car outright, and used car loans have absurd interest rates. On top of that, used car prices down here are in the stratosphere compared to the NCR.
Keeping the same car is also an option, though my least preferred one. I could spend about 30-40k and get this car to as good as new condition and transferred to a TN70 number.
The Corolla is a no brainer, though if I were getting a used one, I'd get the pre 2014 Altis, rather than the latest gen which was sold here. But anyway that option is not in my consideration right now.
Old 14th January 2022, 18:43   #15
BHPian

Quote:
The only reason I started looking at new cars was because I do not have the liquid to buy a used car outright, and used car loans have absurd interest rates. On top of that, used car prices down here are in the stratosphere compared to the NCR.
Keeping the same car is also an option, though my least preferred one. I could spend about 30-40k and get this car to as good as new condition and transferred to a TN70 number.
The Corolla is a no brainer, though if I were getting a used one, I'd get the pre 2014 Altis, rather than the latest gen which was sold here. But anyway that option is not in my consideration right now.
Agreed, the only reason I suggested used was to be honest I find cars in the 10-20L range have major compromises in one or more core areas.

I don’t know what condition your corolla is in currently but if it’ll only take 30-40k to restore it then no doubt it’s the way to go, as you can delay the decision and revisit after a few years.

Last edited by AJ56 : 14th January 2022 at 18:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks